2006 Disney Catalogue DVDs (with film descriptions)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Kram,
I haven't noticed any pictures which look like colorizations of black and white photos, but I have noticed some similarities in the catalogue covers. Surely, Disney's research must show that bright colors and big heads are the most attractive to customers browsing in stores.

There's a definite look to their catalogue releases, with some like Darby O'Gill following a new-looking Vault Disney design on a movie that many may know from their childhood.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Heh, maybe I exaggerated a little. I guess it was just the birght colors that made me think so. Just looking at some reminded me of watching the colorized Absent-Minded Professor :lol: . From the thumbnails, the following appeared colorized.

~ Never a Dull Moment
~ The One And Only, Genuine, Original Family Band
~ Charlie, The Lonesome Cougar
~ No Deposit No Return

Now of course I know these movies were not filmed in Black and White. The coloring of the covers look more enhanced than the film itself. But that's okay, I'm not complaining or anything. I actually like the style. It's different than just pasting a screenshot and putting the title and Disney DVD logos.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

One And Only Genuine Origional Family Band

Post by Disney Guru »

Yes the origional film for One And Only Genuine Origional Family Band. Was already in great shape so they didn't have to do much work with it. I should know I have the 1983 White Clamshell VHS Edition and my copy is still like new. And I loved it. Even though I had the VHS. I still bought the DVD when it came out because that is one of my favorite Disneys. You Better Get Readdy To Hear, You Better Get Readdy To Cheer, The One And Only Genuine Origional Family Band.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

We just got a bunch of the August 3 releases in today, and our first review is already up:

The Watcher in the Woods (Disney):
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/watcher.html

Notice how I resisted the urge to just copy and paste the movie portion from the Anchor Bay DVD review.

Unfortunately, the most popular title in the batch (Darby O'Gill and the Little People) wasn't in yet, but hopefully by the middle of next week, we'll have it.

More reviews to come!
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Thanks for the review, Luke.

I'm glad I managed to get what was probably the last of Amazon's stock last year when I purchased the AB edition of Watcher in Woods, and it sounds as though I made the right decision.

It certainly isn't one of Disney's best - I think it has trouble deciding whether it wants to be scary or Disney - but good nonetheless.

I think I might have to get Darby from the US, simply because it has more on it than the local release and it IS one of my favourite Disney live action.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

That didn't take as long as I expected. Disney's release of The Black Hole appears to be superior to the out-of-print Anchor Bay DVD.

Full review:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/blackhole.html
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

I can't wait for the Something Wicked This Way Comes and the Darby O' Gill reviews!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:I can't wait for the Something Wicked This Way Comes and the Darby O' Gill reviews!
No more wait for Something Wicked This Way Comes:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/something.html

Not sure what the story with Darby O'Gill is, but hopefully it will come in next week.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Great SWTWC review, Luke! I was surprised at just how good the video did look in the pictures on the review, because the stills I have seen before looked terrible. I really wanna see this now.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Another new review is now up:
Unidentified Flying Oddball
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Well I've got Cat From Outer Space, Flight of the Navigator, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Watcher in the Woods. Wicked and Woods were blind buys, Cat anf Flight two of my favorite Disney films from my childhood. I'm thinking of getting Never Cry Wolf and Tex when they come out.
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Two reviews of September 7's big slate have now been posted:

The Island at the Top of the World (30th Anniversary Edition)
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/islandatthetop.html

Never Cry Wolf
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/nevercrywolf-disney.html
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Luke wrote:Two reviews of September 7's big slate have now been posted:

The Island at the Top of the World (30th Anniversary Edition)
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/islandatthetop.html
And to be fair, here is an alternative review :)

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/itopworld/index.html
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

Hi:

two things:

number one: AND JUST DON´T APPEAR THE PRE-SALE FOR THE BAMBI´S DVD!!!! :x

numer two:AND THAT MAKE ME ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

by the way, you people should come to Mexico to buy the LA Disney´s DVD; the black hole and many others have almost a year on the "Dumping DVD" place(that means than you can buy it for less than $15 bucks, and it´s original!!)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Just three more of the catalogue DVDs left to review, and those reviews will be showing up in the next few days or by the end of next week at the latest, as I just got the last two September titles in today.

There's some sadness in not having any more catalogue titles coming this year. I've had such a good time, seeing so many live action Disney films for the first time, and enjoying quite a number of those plus the ones that I was revisiting.

In any event, I'm looking forward to 2005's catalogue slate already. I must say that Disney's gotten vastly better at treating their catalogue to DVD. Compare the August and September releases to the first few months. Not a single title that wasn't offered in its original aspect ratio.

I think we all would have liked a few more extras on most of these, or at least a trailer, but there was definitely a number that got some cool bonus features. Though nothing quite like the good ole' Vault Disney line.

Anyway, not to get maudlin, but I do hope that people have been enjoying the DVD reviews, as I certainly do put a lot of work into them, and even if they're usually quicker to do than the major releases, catalogue titles have been where most of the time has gone.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Cool! Can't wait for Tex review
Cheers,
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Just Myself wrote:Cool! Can't wait for Tex review
And I can't wait to see Tex. Emiliooooo!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

I've never seen Tex, but I know it's by the same writer who wrote The Oustsiders, one of my favorite films.

EMILIOOOOOOOO!!!
Cheers,
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

You've really been pushing yourself with those reviews, eh Luke (I've just finished reading the Day Crocket one)? They are very well written and I've had a good time reading them... Congrats! :)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I've updated the first post in this thread with information on next April's catalogue DVD debuts.