The UltimateDisney.com Warm 'n' Fuzzy Throwback Thread (◕‿◕)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: The UltimateDisney.com Warm 'n' Fuzzy Throwback Thread (

Post by Jules »

Ames wrote:You're not alone; besides "bargain bin" ones, my movies were recorded from TV or rentals; whichever came first, Fantasia or B+tB, was my first actual store-bought movie (besides said bargain bin ones).
Oooh! That reminds me, I also had some movies taped off TV. Fun and Fancy Free was one of them. I think my older brother taped that one for me but he didn't catch it from the beginning. The recording started when Jiminy Cricket was next to record player and observing the downcast doll and stuffed bear. The first time I saw that movie's opening credits and prologue was when I bought the UK DVD in 2006 or so.

I also had Robert Zemeckis' Death Becomes Her taped off TV. However, it was the Italian dub of the film. Since my country is Italy's immediate neighbour to the south we have always been able to tune into the major Italian TV channels via our rooftop antennas (RAI, Mediaset, etc.). Italian TV shows and Hollywood movies dubbed in Italian would have been many persons' regular diet here. And yes, I know dubs are usually looked down upon, but the Italian dubs are different. Those guys are experts. You watch an American film in Italian and you forget you're listening to a dub. And Death Becomes Her was absolutely hilarious in Italian! I love Meryl Streep, but I daresay her Italian dubbed voice is even funnier than her original performance. It is truly remarkable.

I know we have a couple of Italian members here but they rarely post. I'm sure they'd back up what I wrote.

Now that we're on the subject of home video, there's something else I'd like to share (though it is woefully off-topic!) When I joined this site I remember reading that both Make Mine Music and Melody Time were given home video releases only in the late 1990s and early 2000s. So, when I got them on DVD back in 2006 I expected both films to be completely new to me. This was true of Make Mine Music, but not of Melody Time! As I watched I realised I had seen this movie before, many many years back when I was still a toddler. I also remembered clearly that I'd seen it off a rental VHS tape (which was rented frequently as I loved it to bits!). I recognised all the segments, from Once Upon a Wintertime, to Little Toot, to Pecos Bill, and even Trees.

But, how on earth could I have been watching this film in 1992 when it supposedly got its first official VHS release quite a bit later? Could it be it got an early release in Europe? To muddy things further, one of the segments I also remember being on that tape was The Old Mill Silly Symphony from 1937! Prior to getting the Silly Symphonies Disney Treasures set I always had this vague memory of an impressive animated short of a windmill battered by the elements and wondering "What was that film? Was that real or did I make it up?"

I even have proof of this rental VHS tape of Melody Time. When I was three years old my eldest brother purchased a camcorder and decided to shoot a home video (mostly centred on little me. :P ) In that video, I can be seen grabbing that very tape and inserting it into my beloved Graetz VCR (I loved that machine like it was a living person, lol). On the TV screen you can see the start of the Johnny Appleseed segment, complete with audio. This is in 1992!

I would love if somebody would shed light on this mystery. :)
farerb wrote:I had a pirated VHS of The Little Mermaid until I bought it when it was rereleased in 1997/8.
So did I! :D However I never had any legit VHSes. It was only with DVD that I first started collecting the real stuff.

To further elaborate on the piracy thing ... this was not a case of bootleg releases which you bought believing to be the genuine product. As the consumer, you knew perfectly well what you were buying. You either did so from an open-air marketplace in the capital city (that's where I got my Independence Day VHS) or you "ordered" your movie from the video rentals store. I remember my mum would the visit that store and ask for two new Disney films. The store proprietor would then use the legit rental tape of the movie and copy it to a blank VHS tape. Since Disney films were on the short side she would usually use a 2.5 hour tape and include two movies. I had one which had two features as well as The Prince and the Pauper to round things off - all on a single tape!

This may seem scandalous to the rest of you, but it was very commonly accepted here at the time. I don't think anybody felt "guilty" or that they were breaking the law by doing this. Perhaps the reason for this was that the police did not really do much to combat piracy, so there wasn't much awareness. Still, even it was illegal, I have to say I probably would not have had any movies on VHS if there wasn't that option. My family could not afford the real stuff.

Of course, piracy didn't die out here after VHS went bust. DVD piracy runs rampant to this day. Both the Sony PlayStation and PlayStation 2 were heavily pirated, as were PC and MS-DOS games on floppy, CD-ROM and DVD-ROM. And of course the 8-bit computer systems from the 1980s like the Commodore 64 also suffered from this (duplicating games on cassette tape was too easy! :lol: ) However, I am aware that one was very common in other countries too.

And let's not forget music! I still have many old "mixtapes" recorded on TDK cassettes predating my birth in 1989. Only these mixtapes were not homemade. You'd got to a shop and give them a list of songs you wanted on tape. They would grab their vinyl LPs and singles and tape them for you. Completely illegal, of course, but it was considered so normal that when the tape came back from the shop, the owner would stamp the name of his business, physical address and telephone number on the cassette tape's J-card! That was the 1980s in Malta. :P

By the way, this shop in particular still exists (it's situated a 20 minute walk away from my house) but I doubt they are still taping music for their customers. :P It is a hi-fi store (it always was, but dabbled in the dark arts before. :twisted: )

Anyway ... to get back on topic I'd like to share with you guys the original graphic representing the Golden Mickey statuette we used in the UD Awards of yore. :D

I remember being bothered by the statuette's black outline and so created my new and improved version using MS Paint. :P

Eventually I felt I needed to create a special one in honour of Loomis.

It did not catch on! :wink: I remember blackcauldron85 writing something along the lines of "That is wrong on so many levels!"
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ :lol: I'm so impressed with your memory, because I don't remember, but I wasn't wrong. :p

I need to get to work, but I'll email myself to try and research your 1992 tape inquiry! (which language was it in?)
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

rotfl Years ago I really was quite oblivious to the fine line that separates a good, decent joke from a bad, tasteless one.

That tape was definitely in English. Based on the inclusion of The Old Mill I wonder if it was perhaps a compilation of Disney one-shots which just happened to include most of Melody Time. Still, I'm pretty certain the tape opened with Wintertime and concluded with Pecos Bill, as in the original film. Hmm ...

There is one segment I do not associate with that VHS tape, namely Blame it on the Samba. I distinctly remember watching that for the first time on Italian TV when I was 6 or 7. (It was included on an Italian-language documentary chronicling this era of Disney animation. It also included the Aquarelo do Brasil segment of Saludos Amigos as well as the hybrid sequences of The Three Caballeros. I had that taped too. :) )

Update: I also have no recollection of Melody Time's opening credits and title song, as well the prologue involving the theatre masks. However I do remember the intro animation and narration of each individual segment.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I found this!

https://youtu.be/yON9y9i1nxk

Something tells me this is not from 1998!

EDIT: Eek! According to the person who uploaded that video that tape is from 1988!! :o That would certainly explain my familiarity with the film in 1992. And it is marked as a rental tape, which makes further sense.

Still, where does The Old Mill come into this? :scratch:
Last edited by Jules on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

I'm going to need to watch that when I have more time, but could it be that The Old Mill was recorded onto the same blank tape that Melody Time was recorded on?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm going to need to watch that when I have more time, but could it be that The Old Mill was recorded onto the same blank tape that Melody Time was recorded on?
No that can't be it. The Melody Time VHS was a rental tape and as such should have been a legit Disney release and not a pirate copy. I never owned that tape and it was probably last rented when I was 3 or 4 years old. That's why my memories of the film, while still present, became vaguer and vaguer as the years rolled on.

UPDATE

Here are some screengrabs from that 1992 home video. :mischief:

Inserting the videocassette into the VCR:

Voilà. Johnny Appleseed! 8)

blackcauldron85

Baby Jules!! Too cute!! <3 So on my lunch break I have been searching. If only we could read the labels on the tape!! That might clue us in.

I don't have much info. If indeed a legit tape, then it doesn't make sense.

https://www.deviantart.com/mryoshi1996/ ... -680183354
More of Disney's Best: 1932-1946 (1984)

Three Little Pigs (1933)
Brave Little Tailor (1938)
The Old Mill (1937)
Donald's Crime (1945)
The Tortoise and the Hare (1935)
Squatter's Rights (1946)
If you don't remember watching all of the above shorts (the only tape in my search that came up with The Old Mill, although I didn't solely do a search for that), and the Melody Time tape was legit, are you sure Melody Time and Old Mill were on the *same* tape?!?

(And the Youtube link you provided: there are other similar ones on Youtube, and while I didn't watch them all, a quick search doesn't include Old Mill...)
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I continue to lurk in the darkest of crevices.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

*clears throat*

ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! ICCY!! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana:

HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN AGES!!! DON'T CARE IF I'M TYPING IN ALL-CAPS AND ANY TYPOS I MIGHT MAKE!!!! SO GLAD TO SEE YOU!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I hope you are doing swimmingly. And apologies for how many times I may have annoyed you here in my youth. :oops:

I could bloody kiss you! :lol:

EDIT: Ok ... calmed down. :milkbuds:
Ames wrote:If you don't remember watching all of the above shorts (the only tape in my search that came up with The Old Mill, although I didn't solely do a search for that), and the Melody Time tape was legit, are you sure Melody Time and Old Mill were on the *same* tape?!?
No, I didn't watch those shorts. Honestly, I was 3 years old at the time. While I remember The Old Mill being on the same tape as Melody Time, I don't think it's implausible that that memory is a mistaken. However, looking at those screengrabs I noticed something else. The VHS tape in question appears to have those large hubs which usually would not hold a lot of tape. At least I don't think they'd hold a feature film. I dunno ...

Btw, I was wondering whether I should post a short clip from that video. Don't think I can attach it here. Unlisted YouTube video perhaps? I don't want people all over the world to stumble across it on Google or YouTube search. :oops:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Omg Jules in the home video screencaps you are adorbs!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Ames wrote:Escapay, how is it being back at the Parks? Scary? Have you seen any maskless people?!
Masks are required, but there are guests who try to test the limits of that requirement by cradling a cup of water in one hand and leaving the mask hanging on their face with the justification "I'm having a drink, I can go around without my mask!". We are allowed to tell them they must keep their masks on except in designated, stationary food and beverage areas. I've also had guests try to take their masks off to talk to me, and I have to remind them to put it on. I can hear just fine regardless if I see their lips moving or not.
Jules wrote:Scaps, would it be too much trouble to share with me the list of Lars's Disney books? I already have a number of books, but they are mostly animation-centric rather than Disney animation-centric. I do have obvious tomes like The Illusion of Life, but not much else concerned specifically with Disney Animation. Make no mistake those other books are awesome. I particularly love Maltin's "Of Mice and Magic" (a great first book into the history of American animation) as well as Barrier's "Hollywood Cartoons" and Crafton's "Before Mickey." I consider those last two required reading for anyone with a serious interest in American cartoons.
This was the list as of 2008, the last time he posted it. I made one change, however, by the omission of a piece of trash by Marc Eliot as it's notoriously inaccurate and has no credibility as a legitimate biography.

Allan, Robin. Walt Disney and Europe. Bloomington and Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1999.

Bell, Elizabeth, Lynda Haas and Laura Sells (editors). From Mouse to Mermaid: the Politics of Film, Gender and Culture. Bloomington and Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1995.

Canemaker, John. Before the animation begins. New York: Hyperion, 1996.

Canemaker, John. Paper Dreams: The Art and Artists of Disney Storyboards. New York: Hyperion, 1999.

Canemaker, John. Treasures of Disney Animation Art. New York: Abbeville, 1982.

Canemaker, John. Walt Disney’s Nine Old Men and the Art of Animation. New York: Disney Editions, 2001.

Cotter, Bill. The Wonderful World of Disney Television. New York: Hyperion, 1997.

Culhane, John. Fantasia 2000: Vision of Hope. New York: Disney Editions, 1999.

Culhane, John. Walt Disney’s Fantasia. Reprint. Originally published: New York: Abrams, 1983.

Eisner, Michael D. (foreword). Walt Disney Imagineering. New York: Hyperion, 1996.

Fanning, Jim (text). The Disney Poster: From Mickey Mouse to Aladdin. New York: Hyperion, 1993.

Feild, Robert D. The Art of Walt Disney. New York: Macmillan, 1942.

Ferraiuolo, Perucci. Disney and the Bible. Camp Hill, PA: Horizon Books, 1996.

Finch, Christopher. The Art of The Lion King. New York: Hyperion, 1994.

Finch, Christopher. The Art of Walt Disney. New York: Abrams, 1973.

Finch, Christopher. The Art of Walt Disney. Updated edition. New York: Abrams, 1995.

Fjellman, Stephen M. Vinyl Leaves: Walt Disney World and America. Boulder, San Francisco and Oxford: Westview, 1992.

Giroux, Henry A. The mouse that roared: Disney and the end of innocence. Lanham, Boulder, New York and Oxford: Rowman & Littlefield, 1999.

Grant, John. Encyclopedia of Walt Disney’s Animated Characters. New York: Hyperion, 1993.

Green, Howard E. The Tarzan Chronicles. New York: Hyperion, 1999.

Hiaasen, Carl. Team Rodent: How Disney Devours the World. New York: Ballantine, 1998.

Holliss, Richard and Brian Sibley. The Disney Studio Story. London: Octopus, 1988.

Hurter, Albert. He Drew As He Pleased. Intr. Ted Sears. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1948.

Iwerks, Leslie and John Kenworthy. The Hand behind The Mouse. New York: Disney Editions, 2001.

Johnston, Ollie and Frank Thomas. The Disney Villain. New York: Hyperion, 1993.

Koenig, David. More Mouse Tales: A closer peek backstage at Disneyland. Irvine, CA: Bonaventure, 1999.

Koenig, David. Mouse Tales: A behind-the-ears look at Disneyland. Irvine, CA: Bonaventure, 1994, 1995.

Koenig, David. Mouse Under Glass: Secrets of Disney Animation and Theme Parks. Irvine, CA: Bonaventure, 1997.

Krause, Martin and Linda Witkowski. Walt Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: An Art in Its Making. New York: Hyperion, 1994.

Kurtti, Jeff. The Art of Mulan. New York: Hyperion, 1998.

Kurtti, Jeff. Since The World Began: Walt Disney World – The First 25 Years. New York: Hyperion, 1996.

Lambert, Pierre. Mickey Mouse. New York: Hyperion, 1998.

Lambert, Pierre. Pinocchio. New York: Hyperion, 1997.

Maltin, Leonard (forord). Disneys samlede filmplakater. Oslo: Damm, 2003.

Maltin, Leonard. The Disney Films. 3rd edition. New York: Hyperion, 1995.

Marling, Karal Ann (editor). Designing Disney’s Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance. Paris and New York: Flammarion, 1997.

Merritt, Russell and J. B. Kaufman. Walt in Wonderland. Gemona (Italy): Le Giornate del Cinema Muto / La Cineteca del Friuli, 1993.

Mosley, Leonard. Disney’s World. Lanham, MD: Scarborough House, 1990.

Rebello, Stephen. The Art of Pocahontas. New York: Hyperion, 1995.

Rebello, Stephen. The Art of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. New York: Hyperion, 1996.

Rebello, Stephen and Jane Healey. The Art of Hercules: The Chaos of Creation. New York: Hyperion, 1997.

Schickel, Richard. The Disney Version. 3rd edition. Chicago: Elephant Paperback / Ivan R. Dee, 1997.

Schweizer, Peter and Rochelle Schweizer. Disney: The Mouse Betrayed. Washington, D. C.: Regnery Publishing, 1998.

Sherman, Robert B. and Richard M. Sherman. Walt’s Time: from before to beyond. Santa Clarita, CA: Camphor Tree Publishers, 1998.

Smith, Dave. Disney A to Z: The Official Encyclopedia. New York: Hyperion, 1996.

Solomon, Charles. The Disney That Never Was. New York: Hyperion, 1995.

Taylor, Deems. Walt Disney’s Fantasia. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1940.

Thomas, Bob. The Art of Animation. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1958.

Thomas, Bob. Building a company: Roy O. Disney and the creation of an entertainment empire. New York: Hyperion, 1998.

Thomas, Bob. Disney’s Art of Animation from Mickey Mouse to Hercules. New York: Hyperion, 1997.

Thomas, Bob. Walt Disney: An American Original. New York: Hyperion, 1994.

Thomas, Frank and Ollie Johnston. Disney Animation: The Illusion of Life. New York: Abbeville, 1981.

Thomas, Frank and Ollie Johnston. Too Funny for Words. New York: Abbeville, 1987.

Thomas, Frank and Ollie Johnston. Walt Disney’s Bambi. New York: Stewart, Tabori and Chang, 1990.

Watts, Steven. The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American way of life. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1997.
Jules wrote:I had no idea your own nickname, Scaps, was bestowed on you by someone else! I long assumed you gave yourself a nickname too! :P
The only nickname I gave myself was Zulu King of the Dwarf People.
Jules wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:I miss pap64’s presence here! He and I had some very interesting discussions.
I remember pap quite often acted as a mediator here when some arguments got too hot. He was always came off as a calm and incredibly decent person.
He's never raised his voice in my presence. It's always been good, rational discussions. His birthday was the other day, too, so I sent him a message about it.
Jules wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I would like to ask why you said that "Are You Freaking Kidding Me?" part, but you can pm the answer to me if you'd rather not get into it here.
Not sure if you're asking me or Escapay, but that was Jasmine's reaction to danfrandes's demands for Aladdin from Agrabah to revise his artwork. I think Jasmine was miffed because danfrandes would talk as if he had commissioned Aladdin to make those drawings. :P
Here's the post:

viewtopic.php?p=291867#p291867

And regarding the mystery of Melody Time, it was released in certain markets in Europe in the 1980s which is likely where the Maltese VHS came from. Germany had two releases, the UK had one, and I think Italy also had a release. The US didn't get a release of the film until 1998, and is the only one to be censored.

Alby
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Is Prudence dead ? :cry: :cry: