Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Yet www.marypoppinsdvd.com still takes you to the Gold Collection listing. Not for much longer, I imagine.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

My first post! I'm so excited!

I bought the original DVD of Mary Poppins, the Laserdisc of the Archive Version, the Laserdisc of the Restored 1.85:1 version, the Gold Collection DVD, the masterpiece VHS, the regular VHS, and the original black diamond version from the 1980's on VHS. I think I've owned every incarnation of Mary Poppins on Home Video and I just can't wait to finally own a home video version that will do the film justice. The original DVD and Gold Collection DVD (Because they are the same except for the bonus features) had a murky look to the picture, and the sound has an abnormal amount of hiss for a "restoration." (I actually think the Archive laserdisc had a better overall picture transfer then the currently available DVD.) Hopefully this new DVD release will correct these errors.

I hope to make many more posts to this site as it is quickly becoming one of my favorite DVD news websites.

PS: Has anyone checked out the Eloise DVD? In the "making of" featurette there is some 16x9 animorphic Mary Poppins footage (it's squeezed and has been edited into the 4x3 making of documentary) of what looks to be completely restored clips of the Movie. If the whole movie looks as good as these clips and shots...I will be very, very happy.

I LOVE A GOOD DISNEY DVD, BUT ESPECIALLY ALADDIN AND MARY POPPINS!
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Yay Finally the disc art for Mary Poppins. I actually like it very much although it reminds me a lot of the Mircale DVD disc art I am not sure why. (maybe its the colors) Anyway thanks Luke for posting the pictures. Cant wait :D !!!
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Both Mary Poppins Art Disc look great!!!! :wink:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Very very nice disc art. Hopefully the menus will be nice and classy, as well.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

MARY POPPINS IS MY HERO!

Hey that disc art is practically perfect in every way. Very classy.
If you want to see some more mary poppins content, that is presented in a very classy way visit

http://marypoppinsthemusical.co.uk/

and take a look at the new Mary Poppins musical being produced in the UK
by Cameron Mackintosh.

The new designs are really creative and victorian in style.
I can't wait to see the stage version...

But the movie will always be the best version...period.
And it seems that this DVD will be the best version available...period.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Jayzee

Special Effects

Post by Jayzee »

Hi
I am a student in Australia and i am recreating the special effects in the carpet bag scene for an assignment. i was just wondering if there was anyone here who could possible share with me any information that you might have in the process of this special effect? like how was that scene created? Green Screen? Blue Screen? any help that anyone may be able to tell me would be really appreciated! im having alot of trouble finding any information.
thanx
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Luke wrote:Yet www.marypoppinsdvd.com still takes you to the Gold Collection listing. Not for much longer, I imagine.
That link doesn't actually work for me anymore, but they seem have this up now:

http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/movie ... 16703.html
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Oh my gosh! The disc art for Mary Poppins is BEAUTIFUL!! I love it.
Luke, is this for sure the final version of the artwork?

That1GuyPictures, I'll have to check out the Eloise DVD for the clips of Poppins that you mentioned. Sounds interesting. Thanks.
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Chris wrote:Luke, is this for sure the final version of the artwork?
Disc artwork rarely changes. The only difference is that the final product will have a lot more logos on it. MPAA ratings, Dolby Digital, THX, Disney, etc.

The package art has undergone some minor aesthetic changes - spine's a darker color now, for instance. I'm waiting for Disney to release final art of that. But the disc art isn't likely to change.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Special Effects

Post by Escapay »

Jayzee wrote:Hi
I am a student in Australia and i am recreating the special effects in the carpet bag scene for an assignment. i was just wondering if there was anyone here who could possible share with me any information that you might have in the process of this special effect? like how was that scene created? Green Screen? Blue Screen? any help that anyone may be able to tell me would be really appreciated! im having alot of trouble finding any information.
thanx
I definitely think it was the screens. Hopefully this will make sense...

There were two shots used for the "Carpet Bag" scene. When she pulled out the larger things, they had to do two different camera shots:

1. Mary pulling out the large things from a bag, which has a hole in it, and a hole in the table. The things come out of the bag from underneath the table. They obviously had to cover up the fact that there was no bottom to the bag and people were pushing them up, so they may have placed a green screen (or blue, whichever they used back then) on the front of the table, to superimpose the next shot:

2. Filmed earlier, it's basically an empty shot of beneath the table, with Jane and Michael's legs standing. When they shoot the first shot (with the big items), Jane and Michael will have to stand exactly where they stood from the other film.

The "empty shot" is then superimposed only on the green/blue screen.

If you watch the scene, you'll notice that the table and Mary will get significantly taller than normal height whenever Mary pulls out a large object, and that Jane and Michael get significantly shorter.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Welcome to the Forum Jayzee :wave: I hope you like it here everyone is very nice and always so insightful I look foward to posting with you :D .

PS Sorry I could not help you more with your question.
~*Jessica*~

Post by ~*Jessica*~ »

My gosh, I love the disc art! I'm very picky about the design of things and if they fit with everything else. So when I get it, I'll be staring at it just to make sure! :lol:
Never judge things by their appearence; even carpet bags. I'm sure I never do.
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

it would be really cool if the Mary Poppins silouette on the cover could be like a window, I mean cuted out from the cover.
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Nothing like a bit of DVD on a DVD. Excellent art disks!!! :D
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

The disc art is wonderful!! It's a huge step up from the Gold Collection disc art.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Jayzee

Re: Special Effects

Post by Jayzee »

I definitely think it was the screens. Hopefully this will make sense...

There were two shots used for the "Carpet Bag" scene. When she pulled out the larger things, they had to do two different camera shots:

1. Mary pulling out the large things from a bag, which has a hole in it, and a hole in the table. The things come out of the bag from underneath the table. They obviously had to cover up the fact that there was no bottom to the bag and people were pushing them up, so they may have placed a green screen (or blue, whichever they used back then) on the front of the table, to superimpose the next shot:

2. Filmed earlier, it's basically an empty shot of beneath the table, with Jane and Michael's legs standing. When they shoot the first shot (with the big items), Jane and Michael will have to stand exactly where they stood from the other film.

The "empty shot" is then superimposed only on the green/blue screen.

If you watch the scene, you'll notice that the table and Mary will get significantly taller than normal height whenever Mary pulls out a large object, and that Jane and Michael get significantly shorter.

Escapay
thank you so much for the help i really appreciate it! i was just wondering if there were any dvds out there, other than the one to be released in december, that includes any special features of special effects from the movie?
oh and thanxs also to the kind welcoming! its nice to be welcomed and know that everyone is so nice! ive been a fan of disney since i was a little kid! i love every movie but i have to say that mary poppins is my favorite and i suppose that is why im trying to recreate it for an assignment! its really great here in australian because theyve started putting disney movies on on a regular basis again!
well thanks again for the help and any other comments and suggestions on my questions would help greatly[/quote]
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Any more details on Mary Poppins and/or Aladdin?

I'm interested in finding screenshots of the restoration for Mary Poppins...
Has anyone found any material on the web for Mary Poppins
showcasing Menus, Special Features and stuff, or has most of it yet to surface?
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Any more details on Mary Poppins and/or Aladdin?

Post by Luke »

That1GuyPictures wrote:I'm interested in finding screenshots of the restoration for Mary Poppins...
Has anyone found any material on the web for Mary Poppins
showcasing Menus, Special Features and stuff, or has most of it yet to surface?
If it was available, we'd have posted it. We'll probably see some menus and bonus feature screenshots in the near future.
haagi_de

trailer on disney-home

Post by haagi_de »

Hey guys,
just watched the DVD-trailer on http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/movie ... 16703.html and I must say it looks great! The picture seems to be perfect (well, sure, it should be on a digitally remastered anniversary disc...), especially scenes where they combined live-action with animation or the special effects scenes in the nursery look great (on the gold edition one could see white lines aroud the characters, where they were put into the picture).
I can't wait to get the DVD.
Of course, I'm also curious about the audio commentary and there seems to be a special feature about making the SFX.
Only thing I'm concerned about is the huge amount of audio tracks. There seem to be 7, including the AC: DD 5.1 in English, French and Spanish. Two times DD 2.0 (original mix and enhanced "down"-mix), the enhanced mix (which was in DTS, at least on the German Lion King-DVD) plus AC (presumably in DD 2.0 or 1.0). Seems a bit much to me with a 139min-movie.

It's gonna be a jolly, holly day when the DVD arrives ;)
bye,
haagi_de