Walt Disney Treasures Wave 4 - Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Could someone please email Maltin and ask about the blue bands? Thanks
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Ciaobelli wrote:Could someone please email Maltin and ask about the blue bands? Thanks
It's better to email him when it's critical. So let's wait for wave 5. This way he doesn't get too bothered.
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Class316 wrote:
Ciaobelli wrote:Could someone please email Maltin and ask about the blue bands? Thanks
It's better to email him when it's critical. So let's wait for wave 5. This way he doesn't get too bothered.
TRue
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

I think the uproar about "double-dipping" is overblown, I hope I don' ttick off anyone by saying that. That being said, let me also say that I'm neither a Walt Disney nor a Leonard Maltin employee, though God knows I'd love to be either.

But anyway, I think we all need to remember that the double dipping seems to be minimal, and is really only a problem for those of us who collect all of the sets. There is one from Mickey In Color Vol. 1, one from Mickey in BW Vol. 1, and 2 from the Front Lines treasure included on Pluto volume 1. So if we've bought all of those, we're getting them again; but if there are Pluto fans out there who have been waiting for a Treasure or two just like this, the shorts in question are outstanding shorts and have a place on the Pluto set.

Folks, the good news is that if we do indeed get a follow up Silly Symphonies set and a Special shorts Treasure, we could end up having every single Disney short released in the 1930s out on DVD. How many other cartoon libraries can boast that?
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

I'm glad we're getting the Pluto set but, still, it's going to be a fest-full of double-dips from me. Out of the 28 shorts, I already have 9 of them:

-The Chain Gang (Mickey Mouse In B&W)
-On Ice (Mickey Mouse In LC)
-Beach Picnic (The Chronological Donald)
-Bone Trouble (Old Yeller, Lady and the Tramp II - this is going to be a triple-dip!)
-Lend a Paw (Oliver & Company: SE)
-Pluto, Junior (Lady and the Tramp II)
-The Army Mascot (On The Front Lines)
-Private Pluto (On The Front Lines)
-Pluto's Kid Brother (Lady and the Tramp II)

The weakest release of the Treasures series, in my opinion. If only they would include the whole batch of Plutos...
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

ohmahaaha wrote:I think the uproar about "double-dipping" is overblown, I hope I don' ttick off anyone by saying that. That being said, let me also say that I'm neither a Walt Disney nor a Leonard Maltin employee, though God knows I'd love to be either.

But anyway, I think we all need to remember that the double dipping seems to be minimal, and is really only a problem for those of us who collect all of the sets. There is one from Mickey In Color Vol. 1, one from Mickey in BW Vol. 1, and 2 from the Front Lines treasure included on Pluto volume 1. So if we've bought all of those, we're getting them again; but if there are Pluto fans out there who have been waiting for a Treasure or two just like this, the shorts in question are outstanding shorts and have a place on the Pluto set.

Folks, the good news is that if we do indeed get a follow up Silly Symphonies set and a Special shorts Treasure, we could end up having every single Disney short released in the 1930s out on DVD. How many other cartoon libraries can boast that?
I don't think the main issue is the double dipping, the main gripe is that they could have easily put all the shorts on one set.
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

:twisted:
And that they suddenly put things on the disc that are NOT PLUTO cartoons.
This in some way began with Donald Duck this year. The Wise Little Hen was included (I can accept that easily, because that was the duck´s first appearance), but to include so many shorts on the Pluto set just because the character is IN the short, is ridiculous I think.
Officially there is 48 Pluto shorts (the same as with Goofy - but they only included 46 on THAT set!), so why suddenly confuse people with cartoons that are not in the charachters short-list? :evil:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

ohmahaaha wrote:
But the problem is, being releases aimed at collectors I would imagine the vast majority of people do have all the sets (or all the cartoon sets at least).
Chernabog wrote:And that they suddenly put things on the disc that are NOT PLUTO cartoons.
This in some way began with Donald Duck this year. The Wise Little Hen was included (I can accept that easily, because that was the duck´s first appearance), but to include so many shorts on the Pluto set just because the character is IN the short, is ridiculous I think.
This is where I agree. Disney seemed to have made and stuck to a consistant listing policy, with only one disappointment (in retrospect) being the none inclusion of "How to Ride a Horse" as a stand-alone short in the Goofy set (which I only complain about now due to the inclusion of the Fantasia and Mickey and the Beanstalk in the second colour Mickey set). I may be wrong, but I think the other missing short wasn't a Goofy title card? Unless Chernobog means Soccermania?

Of the Pluto shorts I can see "The Chain Gang" (first prototype Pluto), another cartoon (first actual recognisable Pluto) and "Mother Pluto" (a silly symphony which is actually a Pluto cartoon) but no others should be included. I'm also surprised by the nature of the selections: Why "Beach Panic" and not "Donald and Pluto"? At least Pluto is in the title and technically it is a crossover cartoon from the Mickey Mouse title cards to the individual character title cards so perhaps could be argued to have more justification.

Sorry Joe, but I don't think we should complain about cartoons which have been released as bonuses on other discs - one of the nice thing about the treasures is getting them all together.

The issue is the set has been split. Also the naming of this set is wrong. It should not be complete. (And it won't be complete with vol 2 being as they have decided to include other cartoons with Pluto simply in them. Either its title cards for everything, and the "Complete Pluto" will be neither) I was in denial about the whole splitting thing; now I'm just in depression.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

I just hope the two Pluto volumes combined eventually include all the actual Pluto cartoons (the 40-something ones with Pluto title cards).

Could anyone tell if there are more extras (in minutes) on the Pluto set(s) than on the Goofy set? If so, that could be a good enough reason why the Pluto collection had to be split in two.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

2099net wrote: Sorry Joe, but I don't think we should complain about cartoons which have been released as bonuses on other discs - one of the nice thing about the treasures is getting them all together.
I agree with you Netty, it is nice to have all of the cartoons just under one roof. What I was trying to say is that, all the double dipping plus the fact that they aren't including all of Pluto's cartoons (which they should) and that there are a few unnecessary inclusions (Beach Picnic, On Ice), this makes it the weakest Treasure of the serie. But I'd rather waiting before giving my final opinion.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Joe Carioca wrote:I'm glad we're getting the Pluto set but, still, it's going to be a fest-full of double-dips from me. Out of the 28 shorts, I already have 9 of them:

-The Chain Gang (Mickey Mouse In B&W)
-On Ice (Mickey Mouse In LC)
-Beach Picnic (The Chronological Donald)
-Bone Trouble (Old Yeller, Lady and the Tramp II - this is going to be a triple-dip!)
-Lend a Paw (Oliver & Company: SE)
-Pluto, Junior (Lady and the Tramp II)
-The Army Mascot (On The Front Lines)
-Private Pluto (On The Front Lines)
-Pluto's Kid Brother (Lady and the Tramp II)

The weakest release of the Treasures series, in my opinion. If only they would include the whole batch of Plutos...
I don't consider anything not on previous treasures as double dips.
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

Ciaobelli wrote:
I don't think the main issue is the double dipping, the main gripe is that they could have easily put all the shorts on one set.
THAT I kind of agree with. We all saw several months ago "the COMPLETE Pluto" and then this came out with a Volume 1 pasted on it, so naturally we were all disappointed. I will, however, wait to see the contents of bonus materials on both discs before passing my final judgement on this move, but why do it with Goofy and not with Pluto?

Chernabog wrote:
Well - I can see why they would put a cartoon like "On Ice" as being a relevant inclusion because chronoligically this was probably the first color cartoon to realize the potential for Pluto to hold his own with a good long sustained comedy bit, along with Donald in this case. This is part of the genesis of their rise and Mickey's "decline," if you will.

Class316 wrote:
I don't consider anything not on previous treasures as double dips.
No. I don't either, especially since the ones in the Treasure sets I'm pretty sure have all been restored, I'm not sure they were restored when included with earlier released features.

Basically I want to wait and see what we get when we get it; if Pluto vol. 2 turns out to be stinky, well there you go.
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

ohmahaaha wrote:
Chernabog wrote:
Well - I can see why they would put a cartoon like "On Ice" as being a relevant inclusion because chronoligically this was probably the first color cartoon to realize the potential for Pluto to hold his own with a good long sustained comedy bit, along with Donald in this case. This is part of the genesis of their rise and Mickey's "decline," if you will.
:twisted:
Well maybe, put they are anyhow NOT officially PLUTO cartoons :evil:
DVDisney
Limited Issue

Post by DVDisney »

Wow, haven't been here in a long time.
All I can say is that Im very excited about these being released.... especially "Mickey Mouse Club" (although 2 or 3 weeks would've been better than just 1)
After many short films, she's finally getting her own....
MINNIE MOVIE

After finding that there's something there, he found something more....
BEAUTY IS THE BEAST
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Well, that would take more discs than the standard two of the Treasures. We're talking about five one-hour episodes here.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Hey Luke, do you have bigger pictures of the covers with the stickers on them? If so, what do they say?

Image Image Image
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

I'm not Luke, but I know the answer...

The red sticker says:

2-DISC SET
Features Never-Before Seen Material on DVD

The blue sticker says:

LIMITED SERIES
Serialized Certificate Of Authenticity Enclosed

Hope that helps! ;)
The Disney Database - All the Disney magic in 1 site!
Tannerman
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tannerman »

Hmm, the detail on those stickers seems to deliver part of the same information that the blue band provides.... hmmm.
Walt Disney Treasures - Custom Disney DVD Inserts
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Joe Carioca wrote:Hey Luke, do you have bigger pictures of the covers with the stickers on them? If so, what do they say?
Here's a bigger version of Mickey Mouse Club. If bandwidth weren't so tight, I'd post them all, but it's the same thing for each.

Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Thanks for the answers!
A shame they dropped the blue bands... The new tins are going to look weird on the shelf beside the other tins. I liked to organize the tins chronologically, but now I'm gonna have to put these three new volumes after the past ones.