Watched 120 Disney movies in the last 12 months (RANKING)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Watched 120 Disney movies in the last 12 months (RANKING

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Khonnor wrote: I admit, let me change my opinion a bit. I didn't mean a spoiled brat necessarily, but I just imagine if she was a current girl, she would be oblivious to the world around her and taking selfies while doing a duckface. That kinda person. :P

Snow White however wasn't the first animated feature ever, as a lot of seem to mistakenly believe. It's the first one made completely by hand-drawn animation. There are at least 7 known animated features before Snow White, of which unfortunately half or so haven't survived. These were full length animated movies (often with sound and or color), but also incorporated shadow techniques, cutouts, and or stop motion.

Exactly, my main issue being Mushu. Yao I don't mind actually. I recently re-watched this movie (obviously, as it's the whole point I made this thread) and think the gender-issues are actually still pretty on point and accurate. Maybe it's because I'm in a different part of the world, but here in The Netherlands there's a lot of gender discussions going on, mostly to do with transgender people.

I do feel that between 2000 and 2008 Disney seemed all over the place. The movies differ very much from one another and not all feel Disney-esque to me. For example, I think Dinosaur and Bolt seem more like they would belong with Pixar. But still, it is what it is.
I must say I don't watch a whole lot of animated movies, so I don't think I know any of the WB movies. I do know I enjoy TENG and it does feel Disney to me. It's not a lot different from Tarzan or such, feel wise.
I don't think she's really that oblivious of a person as much as she is kind and naive, especially because of her sheltered upbringing and young age. She's a bit too compassionate to be stuck in her own little world, just taking selfies. For example, the kindness she shows to the lost bluebird before the Huntsman attacks her. Or when she arrives at the cottage and thinks that there are orphaned children living there. She immediately decides that it's her duty to take care of them. Even with the witch's fearsome appearance, Snow White is able to push aside her own fears and let the witch inside the cottage, which shows that she doesn't judge by appearances, even if she was unable to recognize the witch's inner wickedness.

You're right that there were several fully animated features before Snow White, but Snow White is basically the only surviving one left and its the most iconic, so it gets the title and prestige. The Adventures of Prince Achmed would count though since I think that really is the oldest surviving animated feature now.

Yao, Ling, and Chien Po all stick out to me but I suppose it was necessary for Mulan to build bonds with people outside of Shang. The actual gender theme has aged well, but some of the gender jokes and humor haven't imo. A lot of the ones that stereotype the men as gross and unhygienic feel very 90s for example. I live in the U.S. so I'm sure that talks about gender and transgender people are far more progressive in the Netherlands than here, but the song Reflection has caught on with the trans community.

It's funny that you compare Tarzan and TENG, because these two films were the first two Disney films I remember seeing in theaters. I really loved Tarzan and it felt like all the classic Disney films before it, but TENG always felt really weird for me. It didn't seem like a Disney movie at all and I remember being disappointed with it. The humor is very zany compared to previous films and it reminds me of the old Looney Toons cartoons. I prefer Disney's dramas over comedies more, so I might be a bit biased towards TENG here, especially since I feel even Hercules doesn't have the Disney feel a lot of times. That's another one which goes overboard with the humor imo and it's not nearly as well-integrated throughout the film like in TENG which at least never tries to rise above to a serious, dramatic film and keeps to one standard. Which is probably also why TENG is a lot more successful as a film and has a larger fanbase.
farerb wrote:Regarding Dinosaur, I personally don't count as a canon film since it was made by The Secret Lab rather than WDFA and it is not a fully animated film, it is a hybrid film. If Mary Poppins or Who Framed Roger Rabbit don't count, this shouldn't as well. Honestly in my opinion they only inserted it to market Tangled as the 50th feature. Regarding the film itself I don't hate it but it's not a favorite of mine.
I agree. This film (and The Wild for the UK) were only added to make Tangled the 50th feature.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

You're welcome, Khonnor, your list is awesome, even with Cindy at 33 lol. That took guts! Oh, and you must have gotten the deeper meaning of TENG right, I think that is totally it!

It is true Dinosaur was not part of the animated classics list until Tangled was about to come out. A decision that should be reversed now that Tangled made as much money as it will. And it should be changed back to the Rapunzel title now too. And Frozen The Snow Queen.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

17. Frozen (2013)
What to say about this one? It's a great movie, no doubt. And I love Let It Go, because I can relate to it (having autism and borderline). But yes, then the movie blew up and became a huge success and was literally everywhere and everyone was singing Let It Go, which did ruin it somewhat for me.

However, there are some things that go unexplained in the movie, that irked me from the first time I watched it in theaters when it was released.
Which mainly is the backstory to Kristoff (and Sven). At the beginning of the movie he's tagging along with the adult ice-cutters. And then, when the trolls see him and says she's gonna keep him,,,did she kidnap him? He later says he was raised by the trolls....so his real family never looked for him or was still looking for him?? I thought that was a weird plot hole.

Other than that, there's no denying it's a great film. Elsa's despair is relatable, Anna's quirkiness, Olaf en Sven are fun, Kristoff is great. The film lacks a real villain though and lately it seems Disney's going for the modern villain-twist-reveal, which they did with Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero, Zootopia.... it's great the first time you're watching it, but I prefer Disney movies with established villains from the beginning, like Jafar, Ursula, Maleficent etc.

I am looking forward to the sequel, as I'm really interested in seeing if they're able to manage or top the success of the first one. I can imagine it's not easy being the makers of the sequel.

16. Bolt (2008)
I really enjoy this movie! It was funny to watch 101 Dalmatians II recently for the first time and noticing it's pretty much the exact same story... :lol:
Bolt is fun, fast paces and adventurous. It does feel more like a Pixar movie though. I also believe this movie is so underrated because it was released after all the other movies released between 2001-2007. The cat Mittens and the hamster Rhino are fun and the scene where Bolt and Mittens go begging for food at the trailer park, which has a montage of Bolt giving puppy eyes and getting everything and then suddenly there's a shot of the cat and its being shoo'd away, cracks me up everytime! :)

15. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
I have the first movie just slightly higher on my list and I admit it's mostly for nostalgic reasons, because the sequel is probably a better movie and it looks gorgeous. However, I do feel that it could have been a movie on its own, without being tied to the rescuers. Bernard and Bianca feel a little shoehorned in and it feels forced. Bernard's scenes with trying to propose and being jealous with Jake just distract from the main plot. The animation is beautiful though and the theme with captive animals being sold or killed is a great theme and if the movie would have focused more on that and Cody's story it could have been a brilliant and dark-ish movie.

14. Lilo & Stitch (2002)
Stitch is my favorite Disney character. :) And the movie is fun too, but oh my do I detest Lilo as a character. Nani, David, Pleakley, Jumbaa...they're all okay characters. I like Stitch's story of trying to become something else,...something friendlier and tries to mold himself into what Lilo wants him to be. I think that's the deeper story in this movie. Plus, I think Disney went pretty far out there with Pleakley and his cross-dressing, which ofourse is awesome. It's too bad the three sequels are not fun at all and even boring at times.

13. Aladdin (1992)
I was 9 when this movie was released and I remember going to see it with my mother. It's a fond memory. But for some reason I always think I don't like this movie and everytime I re-watch it I'm surprised it's actually a really great and good movie. The villain is great, just slightly over the top and it's way obvious he secretly has the hots for Aladdin instead of Jasmine. Abu is a tolerable sidekick, carpet is cute and the songs are great as well. If only Iago were a mute parrot, the movie would have been perfect! :lol:

Only 12 movies left!

These are the ones still left: Dumbo - Lady And The Tramp - Sleeping Beauty - The Rescuers - The Fox And The Hound - The Great Mouse Detective - The Little Mermaid - Beauty And The Beast - Pocahontas - The Hunchback Of Notre Dame - Tangled - Big Hero 6
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The film lacks a real villain though and lately it seems Disney's going for the modern villain-twist-reveal, which they did with Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero, Zootopia.... it's great the first time you're watching it, but I prefer Disney movies with established villains from the beginning, like Jafar, Ursula, Maleficent etc.
Yeah, the weak villains of modern Disney is sad considering they were always a strength of Disney's for most of its history, both when Walt was alive and during the Renaissance. The dark 2000's had the last great villain in Yzma. Considering Yzma was meant in some ways as an amalgamation of / jab at Disney's villain tropes, perhaps that's only right. *shrug* :(

Beauty and the Beast is the first animated film I have a vague memory of seeing in theaters. My mom's said she took me to see The Little Mermaid with my sister, but I was less than a year old in Nov. 1989. I feel sorry for the audience having a baby there. I've had a similar relationship to Aladdin (and the same thing happens with Hunchback for me, too), where I don't like the film as much when I'm just thinking about it / ranking movies as I do when I'm sitting there watching it. I'm always taken by surprise by how great it is still, every time.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Khonnor wrote:Which mainly is the backstory to Kristoff (and Sven). At the beginning of the movie he's tagging along with the adult ice-cutters. And then, when the trolls see him and says she's gonna keep him,,,did she kidnap him? He later says he was raised by the trolls....so his real family never looked for him or was still looking for him?? I thought that was a weird plot hole.
Maybe the ice-cutters weren't Kristoff's family and he just worked for them?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Glad to see your high rankings of Aladdin and Lilo & Stitch. What's your take on the plothole in The Rescuers Down Under with it never being revealed what happened to the rest of the captured animals McLeach had?

I'm guessing your top five features Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Maybe Tangled instead of one of them.
blackcauldron85 wrote: Maybe the ice-cutters weren't Kristoff's family and he just worked for them?
I'm assuming this too because it seemed like he was just an orphan who stuck around with them. But yeah, the Kristoff-trolls relationship isn't developed at all. The twist villain trend really caught on with this film and it's definitely gotten old now.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I thought it was known that Kristoff is not related to any of the ice-cutters.

Glad to see Rescuers Down Under love!

Did you really mean you think Jafar has the hots of Aladdin? Lol I wish, but he tried to kill Aladdin countless times so I don't think so.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Disney Duster wrote:I thought it was known that Kristoff is not related to any of the ice-cutters.

Did you really mean you think Jafar has the hots of Aladdin? Lol I wish, but he tried to kill Aladdin countless times so I don't think so.
If it was known about Kristoff being an orphan or not part of the ice-cutters tribe from the beginning of the movie, I sure have missed that bit of information. Do you have a link/source for that? Would love to read more about that.

No, I wasn't being serious about Jafar, though he is a bit over the top and effeminate. But then again, so were most of the Disney male villains. Hook, Ratigan, Jafar, Scar, Ratcliffe, Frollo,....) :lol:

I will post my next 5 titles on Friday.

Clues:
12 = The German title of this movie is the main characters' first names.
11 = The not-human character is the most adorable one.
10 = This movie was released in the 90's and based on a book.
9 = A movie from the 80's.
8 = There will be a live action movie version in 2019.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

12. The Rescuers
11. Big Hero 6
10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
9. The Fox and the Hound
8. Dumbo
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh sorry Khonnor, when I said I thought it was known, I meant I thought it was known since there are clues like you don't see Kristoff speak or get any love from a father or mother figure from the ice-cutters.

Yes, good Disney male villains tend to be seen as gay because they are flashy and fabulous. And you forgot Gaston! Well he's actually manly instead of effeminate, but he still seems gay!
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

12. The Rescuers (1977)
This might have been one of the earliest Disney movies I watched as a kid and it stuck with me. So, it might be for nostalgic reasons, but I also think this movie is pretty great. It's very dark and depressing really. The whole Penny story is. The scene where she is forced in the cave to get the diamond and she's begging to be let up again, is pretty cruel. Medusa is a great villain as well. But unfortunately this movie suffers from crude animation style, as most movies did in the 60's and 70's.

11. Big Hero 6 (2014)
When this was announced I was afraid it would be too much like Wreck-It Ralph or too 'pixar'-like and too modern with it being about superheroes. But when I watched it in theaters with my partner, we both really liked it and had a really good time. It really felt like a Disney movie. It had a great story, great characters, some emotional bits and fun humour without it being crass. And who didn't fall in love with Baymax?! My parner and I still do the fistbump thing and he is the one doing the 'bah la la ala la'. I wonder if this will ever get an official sequel like Ralph and Frozen, and I think this one would have been a more obvious choice for one though.

10. The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (1996)
Another example of a movie I always think I dislike when I'm asked about it, but when I watch it I'm always amazed how great it actually is! The animation might be one of the best from the 90's and the story is pretty dark. There are some pretty uncomfortable references (if you're looking for them) and I'm surprised Disney got away with those. The song Hellfire gives me the chills by it context. This could easily be a Top 5 movie, if it weren't for those Gargoyles. It's like they had a pretty great and dark movie, more aimed at adults and some executives decided at the last minute they needed to add silly sidekicks for the kids. I'm playing the mobile Disney Magic Kingdoms game and am really hoping they'll do a Hunchback event sometime.
I also remember having all the toys for this when it was released. My favorite being Clopin.
I should really try to watch this movie more often.

9. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
Also a movie I remember watching (and liking) when I was a kid. The bat henchman with the wooden paw really scared me when I was younger. Another great movie though, with a fast paced story, and also some pretty dark and terrifying moments. The villain song does some somewhat out of place though.

8. Dumbo (1941)
This movie just makes me feel warm inside and gives me all the feels. It's also a very short movie, so it doesn't feel like a chore to watch. The 'Baby Mine' sequence brings a tear to my eye every single time. The Pink Elephants on Parade sequence is pretty terrifying. I also really enjoy the Elephants Fly song/sequence and don't think it should ever be altered/edited because some people are offended by it. I am looking forward to the live action version coming this month, but so far none of the live action movies from the last 10 years have really lasted an impression, nor have I seen more than once.

As always, feel free to agree/disagree or post your rankings/opinions of these movies. :)

These movies are left for the Top 7: Lady And The Tramp - Sleeping Beauty - The Fox And The Hound - The Little Mermaid - Beauty And The Beast - Pocahontas - Tangled 8)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Hunchback is one of my absolute favs. The gargoyles get more pesky everytime I see them though, mainly Hugo. Their "comedic" moments interrupt even heartfelt scenes such as Heaven's Light. I've seen a great fanedit which literally replaces most of their scenes in that song with a montage of flashbacks of Esmeralda as Quasi thinks about her (similar to how If I Never Knew You has flashbacks of Pocahontas and John Smith). I really wish we could have gotten a Special Edition 2-Disc DVD which inserted a song or two (Someday and In a Place of Miracles) while dialing down on the gargoyles. This is a film I wouldn't mind getting minor edits. I'd love for Hunchback characters to come to the Disney Magic Kingdoms game as well, as well as Pocahontas.

So glad to see that you hold The Rescuers and The Great Mouse Detective in such how esteem. Both are highly underrated features of the Dark Age especially the former. I blame the lackluster sequel for The Rescuers' drastic drop in popularity. I agree that the animation in the film isn't quite as good as in the Walt-era films or even the 90s, but it's still worlds better than anything else in the 70s (Aristocats and Robin Hood mainly).

Big Hero 6 isn't my favorite of the new films but Baymax is definitely one of my favorite of the new Disney characters. I think he's the film's main selling point anyway because I still see merchandise of him (especially in Japan) whereas everything else from the film is mostly disregarded. As a superhero film, it would ben prime choice for a sequel but I guess it didn't do as well as the films it is bookended by.

Dumbo I think is easily the most rewatchable of the 40s features (at least more than Fantasia and Bambi for me personally). I really love all the heart in this film and I'm also glad that the film hasn't been edited for controversy.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, all those movies are great, or at least I know all of them are except I'm not sure about The Great Mouse Detective because I haven't seen it since I was very little. Dumbo should never get edited!
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

7. Tangled (2010)
I just think this movie is great fun and well put together. It's fact paced and pretty much all the characters are great and likable. However, if I had to choose one flaw, I'd have to say to me this is where the lyrics become clunky in Disney movies (Tangled, Frozen, Moana).

6. The Fox And The Hound (1981)
I just have a weakness for this one. I love the story and it just makes me sad every time I watch it. I grew up with this movie, and together with The Rescuers, this is the Disney movie I remember watching as a small kid. It's a great movie, and a great story.

5. Pocahontas (1995)
I truly believe this is a very underrated movie and I'm not sure it deserves the criticism it receives. Is it because this isn't a fairytale and based on a true person and that they Disneyfied her story? I mean, to me, everything in this movie is pretty perfect. Great animation, great songs. Great characters. I also am interested in American history and culture, so that might have something to do with it as well. For some reason I like Nakoma (Pocahontas' friend) and wish she had a bigger part during the second half of the movie. Overall, I just enjoy this movie and the climax with the song 'Savages' just gives me goosebumps every time. I owned the original soundtrack that I got when the movie was released and some of the lyrics were changed for the movie. Which is a shame, as it's such a powerful song and very current in today's world even.

4. Lady And The Tramp (1955)
A cute movie with brilliant animation! I get warm inside every time I watch this, which is usually around Christmas time. Also very underrated in my opinion. I think this movie deserves more attention and love, instead of Alice and Peter Pan, which were all released in the 50's.

I will post my top 3 this Friday, although the movies left are: Sleeping Beauty - The Little Mermaid - Beauty And The Beast
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Pocahontas has been one of my favorite movies since it came out. Like you said,
Great animation, great songs. Great characters.
. Some people don't like that Pocahontas was "aged up" so Disney could make a love story. This article is a pretty good one about the criticism the film has received:
http://www.btchflcks.com/2016/11/the-pr ... ontas.html
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I agree that Pocahontas has great songs, score and animation, but I can't not agree with some of the criticism it receives. While I don't think the people who worked on the film were trying to be offensive, they were a little bit tone deaf. What I don't get is if they wanted to make Romeo and Juliet, why not just make Romeo and Juliet?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Pocahontas is one of my absolute favs too! Glad to see it in your top five. I like Nakoma a lot as well and I've heard she has a real following in the fandom.

I don't get the criticism about Pocahontas being aged up when pretty much most Disney heroines get this treatment. Snow White goes from 7 to 14. Ariel and Aurora go from 15 to 16. Wendy goes from a small child of about 7-8 to around 12. Esmeralda goes from 16 to 21. Even Anna gets aged up considering that the character she is supposedly based off of was also a little girl.

Glad to see Lady and the Tramp so high. It's my favorite Disney animal movie and one of the best written romances imo.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, your next top ones were interesting choices! They are actually for the most part rather small in fandoms. I don't feel they are so great. Except Tangled. But look, that's a fairy tale, so that is probably my bias there. The Fox and the Hound is actually a great film, but kind of boring and has the worst songs and filler sidekick humor I have ever seen in a Disney movie ever. Also worst love interest sublot probably. But everything else is so good! Though we also could have seen more of Tod and Copper's friendship develop for a stronger film as well. But it's kind of a masterpiece still.

Pocahontas getting aged up probably gets flack because she was a real person while all the other characters aged up were fictional. Also, Snow White was 7 when she was tried to be killed by the queen, but it's possible she reached 14 in her poisoned state by the time the prince found her.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Disney Duster wrote:I don't feel they are so great. Except Tangled. But look, that's a fairy tale, so that is probably my bias there. The Fox and the Hound is actually a great film, but kind of boring and has the worst songs and filler sidekick humor I have ever seen in a Disney movie ever. Also worst love interest sublot probably. But everything else is so good! Though we also could have seen more of Tod and Copper's friendship develop for a stronger film as well. But it's kind of a masterpiece still.
I'm curious as to why you don't think Lady And The Tramp is a great movie.

The sequel to FATH is more of when they were young and shows more of their friendship. It's not a bad sequel, but as with most of the Disney sequels, pretty forgettable.

I don't feel FATH is boring at all, I actually it's pretty fast paced once all the characters are established. It just breaks my heart that the outcome is set from the start. The scene however at the end at the mountain with the bear....so sad and such a good scene.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

My final three are not a surprise anymore and I might think these are in most people's Top 10 lists.

3. Beauty And The Beast (1991)
Yes, you might argue that this is the better movie from the three remaining and maybe even the best Disney animated movie, but I do put The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty above this one (obviously).
Beauty And The Beast is a terrific and awesome movie. The animation is great, the songs are nice. However Lumiere gets on my nerves and the bits with Maurice seem to drag. Gaston is also an annoying villain and I unfortunately know a lot of people in real-life that are like him. I do like Belle as the lead, a girl who is 'plain' and likes to read. I thought that was a brilliant move. It's so sad we lost Howard Ashman, as I would be curious to what his role would have been with Disney after the early 90's.

2. The Little Mermaid (1989)
This is the first movie I watched in theaters and I just loved it. Being autistic this movie was all I could think of and talk about for months! I drove everyone around me crazy, singing the songs constantly. I remember getting the VHS for Christmas and I must have watched it repeatedly for weeks. I also remember those McDonalds Happy Meal toys...you had Flounder that could absorb water and then squirt it....Eric with his boat....Ursula could be stuck to the wall and Ariel didn't do anything spectacular I believe. It's an awesome movie with a great villain and great songs. The final scene on the boat where Vanessa gets attacked by all the animals....love it! And thankfully, not really any annoying characters besides chef Louie and occasionally Scuttle.

1. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
No surprise. I just love the art in this movie and the noir feel it has. It's such a mesmerizing movie (on purpose?). Maleficent is my favorite villain and like I said before, I just adore Eleanor Audley. Not only is this my favorite Disney animated movie, this might even be my favorite movie ever or at least in my Top 5.

So, that's it. I watched all the Disney animated movie and its sequels, Pixar movies and a collection of hybrid (live/animation) movies.
120 movies in chronological order in the timespan of just over a year.

Thank you all for reading this and sharing your opinions. :)