Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

Wow!!

This sounds like it could very well be one of the best and most comprehensive 2-disc sets Disney's ever done, on par with Snow White!

I can't wait to pick this up on release day!!
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

This sounds awesome! There was a lot that was mentioned under Disc 2 that they didnt write about in the description that could have made it attract more people. The trailers and eerything....Anyway, it sounds awesome! It was my favourite childhood movie(live-action at least) and its such a magical film. I can't wait to see what kind of treatment it gets! :D Loves it!
They could have spiced up the cover art a little bit but it could be worse....Can;t wait to see the menus and stuff.
This may even appear under my tree at christmas time :)
-Ryan
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

This is so exciting. 2004 goes down as the best year for DVDs (Disney or otherwise) thus far, and this tops it off at the end! I'm so impressed that Disney is including so much. But then, they do regard this as one of their 'biggest' movies (and rightly so). And now we see it is getting the treatment it deserves.

I think I'm more excited about the EHT mix than anything else (well, it probably ties with all the Julie/Dick commentary and interviews). I really wasn't expecting that, but lo and behold, we've got it! I can't wait to hear that.

Oh, and as I've stated before, I'm not too crazy about this cover art... a little less regal than I was hoping for. I would've preferred something in the vein of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's SE, but I'll settle.

-Aaron
Last edited by AwallaceUNC on Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Lady
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lady »

the cover art on this one is actually decent.
cletus510

Post by cletus510 »

Sounds like they've done it up right. The "pop-up video" option is always fun. I'm even excited about the new 'toon with its chalk-style drawings. However, the deleted song won't be as exciting as if it had been an actual filmed but deleted scene.

I have a couple of concerns though...:?

Is the audio commentary going to be full-length, or will it be for selected scenes only? I don't know if DvD and JA are the type of actors who would sit and comment for the whole movie. Worse yet, could the audio commentary just be audio cut-and-pasted from the "Magical Musical Reunion" feature? Yikes! I hope not. :shock:

Speaking of which, how long are the features "Magical Musical Reunion" and "A Musical Journey"? No time was given--which makes me worry they are too brief--but they did call them "features" as opposed to "featurettes." I have a feeling they will be only 10-15 minutes long each, but I hope I'm proven wrong!

December 14 To Do List:
Order Pizza
Make Giant Tub of Popcorn
Disconnect phone
Spend all night watching every bit of Mary Poppins DVD
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I think you can rest assured. Julie Andrews did a full-length commentary track with Anne Hathaway for Princess Diaries. Disney's commentaries are always full-length (with the exception of Keira Knightly and Jack Davenport one for Pirates of the Caribbean for some reason).

As for the featurettes, as long as they pack in good information and are entertaining, length shouldn't matter, especially since we're getting a 50-minute documentary and commentary track (really, that trio can only discuss Mary Poppins so long before they run out of things to say). Julie Andrews did say that she spent a lot of time participating in the features, though, so perhaps the featurettes will be lengthy.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Some info on the animated short:
August 13, 2004

When MARY POPPINS comes to DVD for the third time on Dec. 14 in a special 40th anniversary edition from Buena Vista Home Ent., it will boast a brand new 2D-animated short, THE CAT THAT LOOKED AT A KING, produced by DisneyToon Studios. It's based on an original story by Poppins author P.L. Travers about the magical nanny. Former Duchess of York Sara Ferguson, Tracy Ullman and David Ogden Stiers provided voice work, while David Bossert (LORENZO, DESTINO, THE LION KING) directed the animation and former Disney studio chief Peter Schneider directed the live-action bookends hosted by Julie Andrews.

Speaking of Andrews, she is reunited with co-star Dick Van Dyke on the two-disc set. They both provide commentary along with co-composer Richard Sherman and others. In addition, the DVD will contain a new rendition of a never-before-heard deleted song, "Chimpanzoo," a set-top game and a 50-minute doc with never-before-released footage and new interviews.

-- AWN
JCG

Post by JCG »

I already own the single disc edition, but I'm surely buy the special edition
"I Close my eyes, and I see a Fantastic Unreal World; I open them, and I see the Cruel Reality we live"

Joe
~*Jessica*~

Post by ~*Jessica*~ »

I already own the Single Disk too, but I'm also going to buy this!! Mary Poppins is probably my favorite Disney movie, so I'm really excited right now. December can't come fast enough!!!!
Never judge things by their appearence; even carpet bags. I'm sure I never do.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

~*Jessica*~, Welcome to Ultimate Disney! :eye: I hope you stick around, but by your first post, it seems like you will. :D
glenn

Post by glenn »

I did not buy the single disc, soo i'm really looking forward! I love the movie, and actually i don't know why i didn't buy the first release, but now it pays out... We will actually get it on the 24th of November in Norway!
~*Jessica*~

Post by ~*Jessica*~ »

lord-of-sith wrote:~*Jessica*~, Welcome to Ultimate Disney! :eye: I hope you stick around, but by your first post, it seems like you will. :D
Hey, thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure I'll be staying around here. I'll always love Disney, and everybody here couldn't be nicer :thumb:
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

oooooooh wow :D
It looks great!!
I'm really anticipating this one...Mary Poppins is one of the few live action Disney movies I like......(well actually that's not really fair to say because I've only seen a few of the live action films....but whatever....I can't wait for this dvd!) :)
Image Image
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Premiere Night

It was 40 years ago this evening that Mary Poppins had it's Premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood on August 27, 1964.

Happy Anniversary Mary Poppins!

"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

Post by Escapay »

Luke wrote: <u>DVD aspect ratio</u>: 1.66:1 enhanced for 16 x 9 screens – aspect ratio in which the film was originally created
Question: if Mary Poppins was originally filmed in 1.66:1, why does the single-disc gold collection copy say 1.85:1? Is there a typo in the press release or on the Gold Collection cover? Or did Disney figure out some way to take a 1.66 AR and transfer it to a 1.85 AR?

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

The current DVD at 1.85:1 was over cropped on the top and bottom of the picture. I have the Archive Laser Disc version from years ago and it's presented in the 1.66:1 ratio that the new DVD will be in. There is more picture information to be seen at the top and bottom of the screen on the 1.66:1 version. (If watching it on a regular TV, the black bars at the top & bottom are much thinner.) It's especially noticeable in the scene where she flies in and lands on the walk of the house. There is much more space above her umbrella and it adds to the overall effect of that flying sequence.

"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
Poppins#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Poppins#1 »

Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary edition has just been put up on the Disney website (finally!):
http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/movie ... 16703.html
Escapay wrote:Question: if Mary Poppins was originally filmed in 1.66:1, why does the single-disc gold collection copy say 1.85:1? Is there a typo in the press release or on the Gold Collection cover? Or did Disney figure out some way to take a 1.66 AR and transfer it to a 1.85 AR?
I agree with Chris. I also have the Archive Laser disc, and the gold collection DVD is over-matted. From all the sources I have been able to find, Mary Poppins was hard-matted at 1.66:1. The new dvd is doing it right.
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the link to the listing at the Disney site, Poppins#1. I was wondering when it would appear there as well. I'm sure as the release date draws closer they will put up a really nice page for it.

Aren't you glad that Barbra Streisand didn't play Mary Poppins?

"Ya gotta clean ya room, kids. Ya know what I mean?" - Barbra Poppins
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

You sure like tailending your posts with Poppins pics, huh, Chris? ;)

And AHHHH, it's Barbara Poppins! Shoot her, kids!! :shock:
~*Jessica*~

Post by ~*Jessica*~ »

LOL!!! When I first saw that pic I didn't read your message, so I was like, 'What did Julie Andrews do to herself????? :o Was it plastic surgery or something???? They probably didn't have that stuff back then for all I know!!!' But it's okay since it's just Barbara, sad I didn't notice her at first though. I love those pics you end with!!! MP is my favorite movie so I love them!!! Take care everybody!!!