Live -Action Renaissance?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Live -Action Renaissance?

Post by Sotiris »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:But it doesn’t change the overall point I was making - once Disney is done remaking the really popular ones, where next? It’s going to be a step down commercially. It’s lucrative to produce these remakes, but only in a rather short-termist way. It’s not going to offer a durable set of successes.
What I believe is going to happen is Disney will start to remake the remakes or at the very least create spin-offs based on the same property. That's already evident from their development slate. Even though they have remade 101 Dalmatians, they're still working on a solo Cruella film. The same goes for Cinderella and the solo Prince Charming movie, Snow White and her sister Rose Red, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. Right now these movies are in the back burner but I can see Disney moving forward with them once they start running out of proper remakes. Being able to exploit the animated films more than once is where they're likely heading.

Also, they will probably start doing more sequels to the live-action remakes. The Jungle Book already has a sequel in development and I predict Disney will become more aggressive in sequel-making once they've finished remaking their most popular animated films. Sequels to Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Dumbo etc. can't be that far off.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree, they'll do new versions of the movies all over again in 20 years at most after they cycle through everything on the slate now that might do well + a few others they haven't got to (like Bambi, a Rapunzel that borrows some of the songs from Tangled, eventually The Snow Queen that borrows from Frozen 5-7 years after the animated film's franchise comes to an 'end'--probably at Frozen 3). They wanted to make a B&tB sequel, but I doubt that one will happen... I'm sure the Genies spin-off will happen though. I can see Mulan stretching itself into a franchise unless the first flops, considering how much the film's diverged from the animated film anyway.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

That’s a rather alarming prospect. We can only hope that sequels to such remakes don’t prove as popular - and it’s rather difficult to conceive of where these sequels could go that’s interesting (especially as the direct-to-video DisneyToon precedents aren’t very promising). But then again, maybe an interesting new take could emerge at some point. (I really enjoyed the 2015 Cinderella, although it doesn’t lend itself to franchising).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Me and JeanGreyForever and perhaps others wanted to see "A Twist in Time" done as a sequel to the 2015 Cinderella. That is considered by most to be the best Disney animated sequel.

As much as I rag on Beauty and the Beast, why doesn't Disney look to the reviews of that film and Cinderella and The Jungle Book and Pete's Dragon to see they were good films and that is why they were successful in comparison to the reviews of the bombs like A Wrinkle in Time and The Nutcracker and the Four Realms?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

As we suspected Disney will keep mining their animated catalog with spin-offs and Disney character-based films such as Cruella, Prince Charming, Tink etc.
Q: You are almost done remaking the A-list classic animated movies. How deep into the library will Disney go?

Sean Bailey: I don't know, because we might hear something that excites us. Take Maleficent. She was a character who cursed a baby because she didn't get an invitation to a party, and we thought, "This is interesting." We made a movie, and now we are making another movie. We will continue to play around in ways that I hope are interesting and unexpected.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ng-1169170
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

So my ultimate dream announcement from Disney would be James Gunn directing a live action Yzma Spin Off. I can't think of any concept Disney could announce that would make me more excited !

That would like a dream come true for me !
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I'd love to see A Twist in Time remake, but I wonder how much "sci-fi" Disney would be willing to go on Cinderella.

Anyway, I'd rather see original takes like Prince Charming and Fairy Godmother than a boring remake of the original. They can end up being awful (Walt knows how much I hated Maleficent) but I'll take it. DO DISENCHANTED, THOUGH.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They could do a remake of the original that isn't boring.

I would love A Twist in Time, too.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It seems they'll be doing more reimaginings moving forward to capitalize on less popular films.
Q: People look at the Disney strategy as what's working: releasing a smaller number of pre-branded, franchise movies. But Disney has had a lot of success remaking the library catalog. Alan, at what point does that end? Or are we going to see the Rescuers Down Under live-action remake?

Alan Horn: There is no question that we, at some point, are going to run out of the kinds of films like Aladdin or Lion King. We have taken a step past that now, so Maleficent is a step away from Sleeping Beauty, and Cruella (2021) is a step away from 101 Dalmatians. But there is no question it's a finite universe.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... fs-1250718
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

With the disappointing returns of the Alice and Maleficent (and arguably Poppins fits into this category) sequels, I wonder if Disney will recalculate their strategy to produce fewer direct follow up’s? I guess it depends on how The Jungle Book II fares.

The title of this thread irks me. The animated renaissance was a period of artistic excellence and critical and financial achievement. At Disney Studios, only one out of three of those things is consistently happening.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’m not sure what I expect for TJB2. Around 700 million? The first was really good, but a sequel to TJB just sounds excessive on paper. The Aladdin sequel(s) are the only ones I’m expecting to do tremendously and almost as well as the first; the property lends itself well to new adventures in a way B&tB and TJB don’t, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"