Pete Docter to Take Over Pixar

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Pete Docter to Take Over Pixar

Post by Sotiris »

I was expecting Andrew Stanton who's second in command and the Vice President of the studio to be the one taking over Pixar. Perhaps he's too busy trying to make it into the live-action world of filmmaking.
When I was at Mashable, I heard someone at Pixar was shadowing him to eventually replace him.
Source: https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status ... 9709720576
According to one current Pixar employee, rumors have circulated within the studio over Inside Out and Up director Pete Docter taking the helm. Employees at the Emeryville-based company on Tuesday were reeling from the news, trading gossip, and coming to the realization that the culture has been toxic for several years, the employee said.
Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... llegations
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Pete Docter to Take Over Pixar?

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Pete Docter would be a good choice. Monsters, Inc. and Inside Out are two of the studio's best, and maybe him being in charge would have a positive influence on more of their output.

Stanton would be horrible.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, that was quick. And a sure sign that his "six-month" break is more than six months.

But, yes! Please, Docter would be perfect!
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Both Docter and Jennifer Lee would be perfect as a team up. :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I hope this is true. He would be perfect for the job.

Do you think Disney and Pixar will have each a different creative leader now, if Lasseter doesn't return?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Pete Docter said he wasn't interesting in having a role similar to Lasseter's at Pixar. Of course, that was in 2009. He may have changed his mind since then.
Q: Would you be happy in a John Lasseter role, where you aren’t making movies so much as supervising five different guys making five different movies?

Pete Docter: Man, I look at the job that guy has, and I would fail miserably. [Laughs.] He’s amazing. Just all the different things he has to balance, and I don’t know how he fits it all in his head. It’s absolutely amazing. I do not want his job.[Laughs.]
Source: https://film.avclub.com/pete-docter-1798216800

Andrew Stanton seems more interested in pursuing live-action filmmaking than overseeing Pixar (I get the same vibe from Brad Bird too). Stanton has a pretty big ego though so he might accept if they offer him the position.
Andrew Stanton wrote:I wanted to get back into live action after four years of doing another animated feature, and I thought well, maybe TV would be the way in, because I was really done with a multi-year commitment to anything and even live action features can be over a year. I thought TV might be good: maybe a month or two on something.
Source: http://www.sundayguardianlive.com/movie ... fter-pixar
Q: What’s next for you?

Andrew Stanton: I’ve got an independent feature that I’m trying to get off the ground called “Revolver.” It’s actually written by Kate Trefry, who wrote Episode 6 of “Stranger Things,” but it was a different route through which I connected with the script. Right now I’m back at Pixar. Part of my job is to be one of the creative overseers of the projects going on here. I spend half my year here, keeping that all going. Hopefully I’ll be doing more TV. I want to be all over the map.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/arts ... anton.html

There are other internal candidates such as Lee Unkrich and Darla K. Anderson but I doubt either of them will get the job. I think Jim Morris and Ed Catmull will end up running Pixar in terms of management and the Brain Trust as a team will be overseeing its creative output.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Now, in Lasseter's absence, the speculation is that a member of Pixar's storied "brain trust," the animation directors who meet regularly to review one another's work, will be asked to step forward. The most frequently heard name is Pete Docter, the two-time Oscar-winning director of Up and Inside Out. But some are eyeing Andrew Stanton, who won Oscars for Finding Nemo and Wall-E, or Brad Bird, who won Oscars for Ratatouille and The Incredibles (though Bird might have his hands full directing Incredibles 2, opening June 15).

Stanton and Bird have spent time away from Pixar to direct live-action films, which may give the advantage to Docter. Says a source: "You need someone who is all in, dedicated to doing animation. That is Pete."

The company also could choose a female talent. Of Pixar's 19 feature releases, only one, Brave, had a female director, though Brenda Chapman was replaced by Mark Andrews during production, and they shared the directing credit on the Oscar winner. Rashida Jones, a writer on Toy Story 4 who then left the project, has said the studio fosters "a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice." The likeliest female candidate is Darla Anderson, producer of Toy Story 3, Cars and Coco.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... ow-1062361
Disney's Divinity

Stanton in charge might be a good thing because I have a feeling he'd crater Pixar. He does not seem like a leader at all.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Stanton directed three of Pixar's best films, in my opinion, and was heavily creatively involved in the studio's first four features, plus he has been continually credited as an executive producer on other projects. He definitely has the creative know-how to run the studio, but he seems to intent on launching his live-action filmmaking career, so I'm not sure he would do it. Ditto Brad Bird, who has struck me as the type of filmmaker who would rather be off making his own movies rather than having the responsibility of running an entire movie studio.

I still think Darla K Anderson and Jennifer Lee will end up being the people running the two animation divisions. They're both women, which gives Disney good PR after the Lasseter allegations. Plus Anderson was heavily involved in some of Pixar's biggest hits and Lee deserves a lot of credit for making Frozen the monumental cultural phenomenon it ended up becoming. They just seem like the logical choices to me.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's speculated that Docter and Andrews will co-head Pixar.
Meanwhile, animators have begun to speculate about who would run Pixar and Disney Animation if Lasseter does not come back. For Pixar, the name most often mentioned is Pete Docter, whose directing credits include Monsters Inc., Up and Inside Out. Docter has for years been a member of the studio’s “brain trust” that guides Pixar projects. But some believe there will not be a single head of animation at either Pixar or Disney Animation and that Docter will be teamed with Finding Dory director and fellow brain trust member Andrew Stanton and possibly another co-head.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... te-1080339
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

This has me very hopeful! Monsters Inc and Inside Out are among my favorite films of any sort :dance:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I wish them enormous luck(if they get it)! They are going to be under so much pressure and scrutiny to continue to keep up the success that Lasseter maintained. I do hope that this leads to a new spark of creativity among both studios in regard to their storytelling and animation styles. Disney especially is stuck in a sequel rut right now and needs some new inspiration.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Docter is currently the top contender to take over Pixar.
Jennifer Lee, a director of “Frozen,” is expected to be promoted at Walt Disney Animation, and Pete Docter, the director of films like “Up” and “Inside Out,” is expected to take on greater responsibilities at Pixar, according to a person briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because plans had not been finalized.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/busi ... isney.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler wrote:I have heard from great source very very close with the studio that Pixar (not Disney) is a complete mess at the moment, with no creative direction - which Lasseter provided.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 2665495553
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Some news regarding Pixar:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... id-1120592
Sources say following Lasseter’s departure on a “sabbatical” in November in the aftermath of The Hollywood Reporter’s report on allegations of inappropriate conduct, Pixar put in place a "creative approval team" made up initially of three men and three women that seems to have morphed to include four men and three women.

Because creative decisions at Pixar were long dominated by men, only one of the women on the new team — Domee Shi — has a creative background: She directed Bao, the short that is attached to Incredibles 2. The other female committee members come from producing: Lindsey Collins (Finding Dory) and Kori Rae (Monsters University).

Three of the male team members are experienced directors: Pete Docter (Monsters Inc., Up), Lee Unkrich (Coco) and Dan Scanlon (Monsters University). Docter and Unkrich are longtime members of the brain trust. The seventh member of the new team is Pixar president Jim Morris, who will remain in charge of the day-to-day management.

His counterpart at Disney Animation, Andrew Millstein, will continue in that role (a decision that doesn’t sit well with some who see him, as one source puts it, as having been a Lasseter “enabler and babysitter”).
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It's wonderful to see Domee Shi rise so quickly up the ranks at Pixar. I absolutely loved "Bao."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Pete Docter, Jennifer Lee to Lead Pixar, Disney Animation
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... on-1121432
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

So overjoyed for them :float: :float: :float: :party: :party: :party:
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Seems like they are not allowed to make talk much about it yet:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywo ... story.html
The company declined to make Lee, Docter and Horn available for interviews.

I can imagine this is Pete Docter's reaction right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_O0BMVdCk
Disney's Divinity

disneyprincess11 wrote:So overjoyed for them :float: :float: :float: :party: :party: :party:
Same. :pink: :pink: :pink: They are both beyond deserving.