Rank the Snow White Songs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Rank the Snow White Songs

Post by Sotiris »

Rank the Snow White songs from most to least favorite or from best to worst.

Here are the songs in the order they appear in the film (excluding reprises). The deleted songs are also included at the end.

01. I'm Wishing
02. One Song
03. With a Smile and a Song
04. Whistle While You Work
05. Dig-a-Dig Dig
06. Heigh-Ho
07. Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum (The Dwarfs' Washing Song)
08. The Dwarfs' Yodel Song (The Silly Song)
09. Someday My Prince Will Come
10. Music in Your Soup
11. You're Never Too Old to Be Young
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Rank the Snow White Songs

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. "I'm Wishing/One Song"
2. "With a Smile and a Song"
3. "Dig-a-Dig Dig"
4. "Whistle While You Work"
5. "Someday My Prince Will Come"
6. "Heigh-Ho!"

"I'm Wishing/One Song" is in my top 10 favorite Disney songs. All of these are great songs. I don't particularly care for the other Dwarf songs. I've listened to the deleted songs before, but it's been quite a while. I don't remember anything I felt too bad about being cut, unlike most of Cinderella's deleted songs.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's my ranking. I don't care for the dwarf songs either.

1. Someday My Prince Will Come
2. One Song
3. With a Smile and a Song
4. I'm Wishing
5. Whistle While You Work
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

1. I'm Wishing/One Song
2. Someday My Prince Will Come
3. The Dwarfs' Yodel Song
4. Whistle While You Work
5. Dig-a-Dig Dig/Heigh-Ho
6. With a Smile and a Song
7. Music in Your Soup
8. Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum
9. You're Never Too Old to Be Young
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

You know, I remember others hating Snow White's voice on the forum in the past ( :lol: ), but I was never really bothered by it. I do wonder how different the music would've sounded if Caselotti's voice hadn't been sped up. I said before that "I'm Wishing/One Song" is my favorite and I'd go further to say it's the only song I legitimately love from the film, but that's because I've always felt most of the songs from the pre-Oliver & Company films tended toward being good in a "hummable" way, and they are very successful in that regard. "Heigh Ho!" is the iconic song of the film, but "Dig-a-Dig Dig" is the more memorable Dwarf song for me, personally.

I really wish this film would get a Legacy release because there is so much music here (both in-film and deleted) and this is the first. I have most of the tracks scattered across compilations, but it would be nice to have everything together in one release.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't know Snow White's voice was sped up. It really was?

A Legacy Collection release for Snow White makes the most sense as it's really Disney's most important film.

2. One Song
3. I'm Wishing
4. Heigh-Ho
5. The Dwarf's Yodel Song
6. Dig-a-Dig Dig
7. With a Smile and a Song
8. Whistle While You Work
9. Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum
10. Music in Your Soup
11. You're Never Too Old to Be Young
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:"Heigh Ho!" is the iconic song of the film, but "Dig-a-Dig Dig" is the more memorable Dwarf song for me, personally.
I always thought they were both a single song, because in CD's, etc. it's listed as such. So, when I saw them here listed as two, I was a bit surprised. But I know Sotiris is rarely wrong, so I looked it up and I found out that in the first soundtracks they were indeed two separate songs. So I guess that initially they were conceived as individual songs, which makes sense because, though they are sung one after the other in the film, their melody is not the same and the lyrics don't have much in common either. However, I'm going to rank them as one, because I'm used to think of them as a single song. But if I had to choose, in my case I'd definitely opt for "Heigh-Ho".

Here's my ranking:

1. Heigh-Ho
2. With a Smile and a Song
3. Whistle While You Work
4. Someday My Prince Will Come
5. One Song
6. The Dwarf's Yodel Song
7. I'm Wishing
8. Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum
9. Music in Your Soup
10. You're Never Too Old to Be Young
Disney's Divinity wrote:I really wish this film would get a Legacy release because there is so much music here (both in-film and deleted) and this is the first. I have most of the tracks scattered across compilations, but it would be nice to have everything together in one release.
I wish that too. If I remember it correctly, in a making-of featurette I think they said that 25 songs were made for the movie, but only 8 were used. Could it be true they made so many? It'd be great if they added more deleted songs this time, though I don't know if something has survived of the rest of them.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:But I know Sotiris is rarely wrong, so I looked it up and I found out that in the first soundtracks they were indeed two separate songs.
Oh, you! :mischief: :oops:
D82 wrote:So I guess that initially they were conceived as individual songs, which makes sense because, though they are sung one after the other in the film, their melody is not the same and the lyrics don't have much in common either.
They did the same thing for I'm Wishing/One Song. While they were listed as separate songs in early soundtracks, in later re-releases they were listed as one. This never made sense to me since they are two separate songs that have different melodies and are sung by different characters. I'm Wishing even got additional lyrics and was turned into a duet in early, official renditions. Bundling them up into a single track because one song follows the other in the film is a silly and flimsy reason to do so.
D82 wrote:I wish that too. If I remember it correctly, in a making-of featurette I think they said that 25 songs were made for the movie, but only 8 were used. Could it be true they made so many? It'd be great if they added more deleted songs this time, though I don't know if something has survived of the rest of them.
I do believe there were more songs written for the film that we know of. For example, the song Snow White that was featured in various LP records throughout the years was officially licensed by Disney which makes me believe it was intended for the film, most likely as an additional or alternate song for The Prince judging from the lyrics.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:They did the same thing for I'm Wishing/One Song. While they were listed as separate songs in early soundtracks, in later re-releases they were listed as one. This never made sense to me since they are two separate songs that have different melodies and are sung by different characters. I'm Wishing even got additional lyrics and was turned into a duet in early, official renditions. Bundling them up into a single track because one song follows the other in the film is a silly and flimsy reason to do so.
I completely agree. In the CD I have, which is this edition, "Dig-a-Dig Dig" and "Heigh-Ho" are listed as one song, but "I'm Wishing" and "One Song" as two. Not in the track, but in the booklet. I suspected, though, Disney had presented them as one at some point when I saw in this thread that some members consider them a single song.
Sotiris wrote:I do believe there were more songs written for the film that we know of. For example, the song Snow White that was featured in various LP records throughout the years was officially licensed by Disney which makes me believe it was intended for the film, most likely as an additional or alternate song for The Prince judging from the lyrics.
Thanks for sharing that link! I had never heard it before. It's a beautiful song. I think you're probably right and it could be one of the songs that were made for the film but not used in it. It has a similar style to the ones in the movie. Besides, that album also contains two other unused Disney songs: "Monstro The Whale" and "Jiminy Cricket", both from Pinocchio. So, it's very likely "Snow White" is an unused song too. By the way, I've found the making-of featurette where it is mentioned that 25 songs were made for the film. Here's the moment when they say it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:By the way, I've found the making-of featurette where it is mentioned that 25 songs were made for the film. Here's the moment when they say it.
Thanks for the video. The question arises then why these songs haven't been released to the public in any form. Are they lost in time? Even if they weren't demo-ed or no audio survives, surely there must be some sheet music or lyrics still around. Could it be that Disney is just holding out on us, again?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The question arises then why these songs haven't been released to the public in any form. Are they lost in time? Even if they weren't demo-ed or no audio survives, surely there must be some sheet music or lyrics still around. Could it be that Disney is just holding out on us, again?
I have no idea. As you know, the only deleted songs Disney keeps releasing are "Music in Your Soup" and "You're Never Too Old to Be Young". But the Legacy Collection release of Pinocchio, for instance, featured some unused songs that I think were unknown until then, right? So, who knows, maybe they'll surprise us and include some songs we have never heard of before in the Snow White edition. If they ever release it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote: I do believe there were more songs written for the film that we know of. For example, the song Snow White that was featured in various LP records throughout the years was officially licensed by Disney which makes me believe it was intended for the film, most likely as an additional or alternate song for The Prince judging from the lyrics.
Is this song included anywhere else? I don't use Spotify so I can't listen to it and I haven't been able to find it on YouTube.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^I also found it on Amazon UK and Napster UK. Not sure if those will work for you though.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

2. With a Smile and a Song
3. Heigh-Ho
4. Whistle While You Work
5. I’m Wishing/One Song
6. Music in Your Soup
7. The Silly Song
8. Dig-a-Dig Dig
9. Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum
10. You’re Never Too Old To Be Young

I basically love the whole lot, even the deleted ones. Only ‘You’re Never Too Old...’ is weak. Otherwise, this is just such a charming set of melodies. No wonder they saw fit to release the soundtrack as a record! Re Caselotti’s voice - it’s wonderful. I picked ‘Someday...’ as the best song, because of that stirring choral reprise at the end, because of that perfectly understated scene where she sings it to the Dwarfs, and because it has all that good wistful/nostalgic feel of something like ‘Over the Rainbow’ or ‘Beyond the Laughing Sky.’ It captures the appeal of the film, and the essentially hopeful nature of the heroine.

But I think my favourite right now is the similarly hopeful, but much more simply uplifting ‘With a Smile and a Song’, which I find myself randomly humming all the time.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:^I also found it on Amazon UK and Napster UK. Not sure if those will work for you though.
I got to hear small portions of the song (plus the Pinocchio deleted ones) which is better than nothing. Thanks for tracking those links down.
ImageImage