Haunted Mansion (2023)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hey, a little something I found while scouring the Internet for proof that the project isn't dead yet.

Source: http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/del-toros- ... ets-dated/

Apparently, this is supposed to be an unconfirmed concept design, but it's gotta mean something, right? :)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Great! But if that's a possible design he's considering for the Hat Box ghost...it is completely missing the craziness in that character's eyes that I believe is what makes him so popular to be wanted to put in the film in the first place.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, it kind of does match Guillermo Del Toro's trademark character design. I should know, I saw the first Hellboy AND Pan's Labyrinth, both of which Guillermo worked on.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes. I wasn't saying it wasn't his design. That wasn't what I was talking about.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, maybe he might be even crazier looking in the final product. I only hope we hear more about this ASAP.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Looks like this movie might be delayed.
I’m glad Del Toro plans to hit the ground running right after he’s done with Pacific Rim, especially since he hasn’t gotten a film to the big screen since 2008′s Hellboy II: The Golden Army. However, his plan for Pinocchio will delay his adaptation of Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson, and his adaptation of Disney’s The Haunted Mansion ride.
http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro- ... io/165315/

I only hope this doesn't cause the production to be shut down...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Jumping into something else that came up recently, Disney has removed from their website, which has been there for a number of years, this Haunted Mansion page, which is no longer there. A lot of people are reading into this. Is there anything you want to tell people about Haunted Mansion?

Guillermo del Toro: No, there’s no news. I delivered my last draft five weeks ago. I have a meeting with them in three weeks. I know they like the screenplay. I need to meet with them in three weeks. That’s what I know. I know their reaction to the draft was good. We have a bunch of conceptualist art, but you never know, to predict anything else is hard for me to know. I should have called them and said, “Hey.” Usually, it’s very hard for me to predict what a thing like that means.

Q: It’s on the press site, I’m just telling you and everyone watching, they have a listing of all their movies, and Haunted Mansion has been there since Comic-Con when they put up their teaser thing. And recently, I guess, it’s not on the page anymore.

Guillermo del Toro: Maybe I should give them a call. [laughs]

Q: I don’t know if it’s because of any specific reason, but it still isn’t in front of cameras. You know what I mean?

Guillermo del Toro: Yeah, I still would love to make that movie. I came on board originally as a writer and producer, the decision I think they may be waiting, is for me to say I’m directing the movie. Or am I directing it next, which is too early for me to know what I’m doing next in live-action. I’m in the middle of Pacific Rim and I don’t know what I’m going to do next.
Source: http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro- ... ew/187252/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I'd actually forgotten about this film until you posted this Sotiris, it seems like forever since we last heard anything about it. I don't know how hectic his schedule is but if he's not sure what he's going to do after his current film, perhaps he can prioritise The Haunted Mansion and try and get it into production, whether he's going to direct it or not.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

In all honesty, even though waiting sucks, I would rather have the time taken to make it an all out amazing film than something rushed not terribly good (ie the last Haunted Mansion film).

I would love for Phantom Manor's story to come out completely as well.....I know it supposed to be shrouded in mystery for the sake of the ride, but I would love to know all the ins and outs, and see it on the big screen!
Sotiris

Re: Haunted Mansion Re-Boot

Post by Sotiris »

Finally, an update on the project.
Guillermo del Toro wrote:Well, I spent 2 weeks ago, I went back to Disneyland with the executives with whom I am developing the screenplay. It's a hard screenplay to crack. We've done it a few times. We are on our third or fourth draft, with 2 different writing teams, and I think the main thing is to try to combine everything that is great about the ride into the movie, and to make it a really intense but with a sense of fun - just like the ride. It's a tough balance, and I would be happy to report if we had the screenplay. We always feel like we are very close, but not yet. We have developed 50-60 pieces of art, We've developed maquettes of the Hat Box Ghost, over the body and face of Doug Jones, but we have not succeeded yet in cracking the screenplay. I have to believe that Disney will make this movie as soon as we crack the screenplay, but until then we cannot tackle it. It is a movie I would love to direct, but I would be happy to just produce it if the timing is not right. I, by the way, was named Guest for the Day for the Haunted Mansion the last time I did, which gave me unlimited access to ride the mansion several times during the day. Unfortunately it was just the moment my left knee decided to bust and I had to go back home with a busted knee.
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2 ... er/ciuye8l
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Nice to read it hasn't been cancelled. Although, as with any Guillermo del Toro project, I won't believe it will actually hit screens until they finally start filming it.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Yeah, del Toro has this problem where he signs onto SO MANY different projects at once, and a shockingly high majority of them never see the light of day because he's too swamped to help any more with them. He's very talented, but seriously needs better time management skills.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's alive!

Ryan Gosling Teaming With Guillermo del Toro for Disney’s ‘Haunted Mansion’
http://www.thewrap.com/ryan-gosling-tea ... exclusive/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sotiris wrote:It's alive!

Ryan Gosling Teaming With Guillermo del Toro for Disney’s ‘Haunted Mansion’
http://www.thewrap.com/ryan-gosling-tea ... exclusive/
Finally! We've been waiting forever for an update! :D
Sotiris

Re: The Haunted Mansion (Remake)

Post by Sotiris »

According to Skyler Shuler from Disney Film Facts, the 4th draft of the screenplay is done, Hatbox Ghost is one of the primary characters and Ryan Gosling is still attached to star.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

And here I figured after Crimson Peak he'd have gotten a haunted mansion movie out of his system. BTW I adored Crimson Peak, hopefully the HM film will have a similar aesthetic (with the gore knocked down.) Hope we get some ghosts as haunting as Tom Hiddleston and Jessica Chastain looked at the end of the film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I loved Crimson Peak as well so this will be exciting! I wonder how well Del Toro will work though if he has to deliver a Disneyified product.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I loved Crimson Peak as well so this will be exciting! I wonder how well Del Toro will work though if he has to deliver a Disneyified product.
I think at the very least it will be a PG-13. It won't go to any levels that Pan's Labyrinth and The Shape of Water went in terms of disturbing imagery that's for sure.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We don't know if Guillermo is still attached to the project though. He just signed two muti-year contracts with different studios; one with Fox Searchlight and another with DreamWorks Animation. I doubt he'll have the time to work on The Haunted Mansion anytime soon.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I didn't notice that the above post about Ryan Gosling and Guillermo Del Toro signing on is years old now. Then it's possible he might not be directing this film anymore, but with Fox being bought by Disney, he'll technically be working for them under some capacity. It's a pity he didn't helm the BATB remake either.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey