Coco

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Pixar's Coco

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Sotiris wrote: It only won the Golden Globe, if I recall correctly. Everyone knows the Golden Globes aren't good indicators for where the Oscar will go. The Oscar buzz this season was clearly favoring Remember Me.
I wasn't paying much attention to Best Song so I wasn't aware. I think Let It Go didn't win the Golden Globe either, so that's also a sign. But it did to me anyway that public interest was in This is Me. Everyone was counting down for the performance, plus it had the advantage of being from the makers of La La Land's songs.
I think both songs were the favorites to win. Remember Me had also won only one important award before, the Critics' Choice. I was also a bit surprised, I thought the Academy would opt for "This Is Me".

JeanGreyForever wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Just nearly cried tears of joy for this movie!

Glad Anthony got to be on stage, but...

"Hey, sorry you didn't get chose to sing. Say one sentence." Anthony Gonzalez deserved so much better tonight. He should have sung tonight.
I'm not sure how they decided who gets to sing, but maybe he didn't want to. It can be pretty daunting at any age to sing to an audience like that, but especially if you're a kid.
I think the producers of the show wanted Gael García Bernal because he's more famous, but it was clearly a mistake. He isn't a singer, and it's not the same singing for the movie where he can do a lot of takes than doing it live in front of a big audience. Anthony Gonzalez should've sung instead of him.

estefan wrote:Next year should be interesting. Toy Story 3 aside, the Best Animated Feature Oscar hasn't exactly been receptive to sequels and that's all Disney has this year. I have a feeling Isle of Dogs has an edge. The Grand Budapest Hotel did really well at the Oscars a few years ago and there may be a push to finally give Wes Anderson an Oscar. Directors primarily known for live-action, such as George Miller and Gore Verbinski, have previously won the category.
We don't know yet how good the Disney and Pixar sequels will be, but I also think it's quite likely Isle of Dogs will win next year. It has really good reviews and had a great reception at the Berlin Film Festival, where it won the award for best director. In any case, as you say, the category will be interesting and certainly more competitive than this year.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Okay, Gael’s Oscar performance sounds better now I watched it for the third time.
It’s not perfect and he was definitely struggling, but it is no poor Idina Menzel at the Oscars xD

But dang, did Miguel forget the words and made them up on the spot lol
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Just watched Coco earlier.

Much better than I expected, tbh. I'd say it's one of their better films even if it's not something I'd buy or seek out again; I believe this'll be the threshold film between the PIXAR films I like and those I don't from now on. The surprise villain twistwas actually well-done here and I liked how the "two sides" of the family (music v. family/shoes) compromised in the end with Miguel learning the value of his family and the family learning the value of music. I know that last part sounds really trite and normal children's film fodder, but they executed it so that it never felt forced or cheesy while watching the film to me.

The music was... Eh. I thought "Remember Me" was sweet during the climactic scene with Coco, but the only song I'd actually listen to outside the film is the End Credits version of "Remember Me." Miguel has such a good voice.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

I think I've read somewhere that for hispanic countries pixar animated the characters' lips to match the dialogs in Spanish.
Can anyone confirm this?
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

geniuswalt wrote:I think I've read somewhere that for hispanic countries pixar animated the characters' lips to match the dialogs in Spanish.
Can anyone confirm this?
I've heard Disney and Pixar does this for all titles, but I never noticed any difference in any movie at all.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you liked the film Disney's Divinity and thought it was good! I agree the two sides of the family learning to honor each other's wishes was great.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

geniuswalt wrote:I think I've read somewhere that for hispanic countries pixar animated the characters' lips to match the dialogs in Spanish.
Can anyone confirm this?
No, they didn't do that with Coco. Here's what Lee Unkrich answered someone who asked him about that on Twitter:
- I was wondering if Pixar might ever be able to re-render a version with mouths to match Spanish dialogue. Probably impossible.

Lee Unkrich: The rendering wouldn’t be as difficult as all the re-animating would be! Plus, we translate into dozens of other languages.
Source: https://twitter.com/leeunkrich/status/8 ... 5070392320

What they did do that I think they haven't done for other features is that some actors, like Gael García Bernal, reprised their roles for the Spanish dubbing. I also remember having heard something about re-animating lips for other languages in animation, but probably I heard about DreamWorks, who did do that for the Mandarin version of Kung Fu Panda 3. Searching online is the only example I've found of that practice. As they explain in this video, Pixar usually translates some texts that appear in the films for other countries' versions (like Disney has always done too) and even makes some changes because of cultural reasons. For instance, for the Japanese version of Inside Out they replaced broccoli with bell peppers in a scene, because broccoli is not considered something disgusting for kids there. I don't know if Pixar has re-animated lips in the past, but probably not. Otherwise, they would've mentioned it in that video.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Just received my copy I bought from amazon.com. Disappointed it shipped without its slipcover. I know it's just a piece of cardboard but I never got a new release from Amazon without its slipcover. Have you guys experienced the same from Amazon?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The music video of the original song "El Corrido de Miguel Rivera" by Bronco specifically written for the Latin American release of Coco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KJrkpAcIeE
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^It's a beautiful song. I'm glad it has gotten a music video too.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Interesting:

https://www.businessinsider.in/In-a-fir ... 665627.cms
In a first for Pixar, its new movie 'Coco' was created with the help of people outside the Company

Unkrich brought on cultural consultants to make sure the story was representing Mexican culture correctly. This is the first time a Pixar movie has welcomed in outsiders to a project still in production.
This is interesting because it makes you think of Tim Burton and Toy Story. Most are probably aware of how Disney would not let any outside their company make any movies for them, which is why they refused Pixar to make a movie unless it was done inside their own studio. Nightmare before Christmas changed that, allowed Toy Story to be made, and opened up new doors.

Could this involvement of outsiders during the production of a Pixar movie open up for more cooperation with someone outside the studio? Take Bee Movie for instance, even if it was made by DreamWorks (but at least Lasseter had a cameo in it). Seinfeld obviously don't know much about biology. Just because we have talking insects doesn't mean one should go light on basic facts. Some consultant who knows a little about social insects and flowering plants would have improved the movie.
As for Pixar, they could hire someone like Ellen Brock (a freelance novel editor). I have seen a couple of her youtube videos, and since novels are fore more common than animated features, the cliches in literature becomes much more visible than in movies. But it is the same cliches. Like how a movie or novel opens with a closed eye that opens, or how someone "cheat" by using a dream, fantasy or something else just to attract the reader's or viewer's attention, before suddenly cutting to the "real" world. This "fake opening" is very typical for Pixar and eventually also for Disney since they bought Pixar.

So parhaps Coco could open up for more use of outside consultants.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Business Insider wrote:Unkrich brought on cultural consultants to make sure the story was representing Mexican culture correctly. This is the first time a Pixar movie has welcomed in outsiders to a project still in production.
I'm not so sure this is true. I remember reading Pixar bringing in consultants for Brave and Inside Out too.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Well, true or not, as long as the studio is open for the idea of bringing in outsiders which has competance those involved in the production may lack themselves, storywise or otherwise, it is a step in the right direction.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney/Pixar’s Best Animated Feature Oscar winner Coco has strummed up $800.5M at the worldwide box office. This is Pixar’s fifth film to hit the milestone and comes as the Lee Unkrich/Adrian Molina-directed toon will soon wind up play.

The previous Pixar titles to cross $800M worldwide are Toy Story 3 ($1.066B), Finding Dory ($1,029B), Finding Nemo ($940M) and Inside Out ($858M). Each of those, save Dory, is also a Best Animated Feature Oscar winner.
Source: http://deadline.com/2018/05/coco-crosse ... 202380459/
Sotiris

Re: Coco

Post by Sotiris »

A collector's edition box set of Coco is coming to Japan on July 18, 2018.

Source: https://www.disney.co.jp/movie/remember-me.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow. Japan is lucky to always get these kinds of things from Disney. In the U.S., I wouldn't be surprised if Disney just started releasing discs in square envelopes with the titles written out using a black marker.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:In the U.S., I wouldn't be surprised if Disney just started releasing discs in square envelopes with the titles written out using a black marker.
rotfl
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Excellent movie, one of my top movies of last year
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Coco has been nominated for two Grammy Awards. Update: It lost in both categories.
Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media

Black Panther
Blade Runner 2049
Coco
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Best Song Written for Visual Media

Black Panther ("All the Stars")
Call Me by Your Name ("Mystery of Love")
Coco ("Remember Me")
The Greatest Showman ("This Is Me")
A Star Is Born ("Shallow")
Source: https://www.grammy.com/grammys/awards/6 ... wards-2018