Walt Disney Treasures Donald Duck Vol 4 Replacement disc?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Walt Disney Treasures Donald Duck Vol 4 Replacement disc?

Post by Class316 »

From http://www.dvdizzy.com/donaldvol4b.html
The Walt Disney Treasures line has been very good about offering even controversial cartoons in their original, uncut form. The Chronological Donald Volume Four contains a notable but befuddling exception to that rule. Bee on Guard, a 1951 short located on Disc One, ends abruptly and chops off five seconds from the original cut. The truncation is likely a mistake rather than an intentional edit; the five missing seconds contain nothing that could be considered offensive or legally troubling. The omitted animation merely zooms in on the bee's face as he winks. The edit will understandably frustrate many collectors but ultimately isn't of much consequence.
Does anyone know if any replacement disc was ever issued for the first disc from this set? And if so can it still be obtained?

I tried searching online I could only come up with these pieces of evidence.

Wikipedia talks about a replacement disc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disn ... olume_Four

And this link lists info on other replacement discs but only mentions that a replacement disc for this one would be issued: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts ... &archive=0
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Walt Disney Treasures Donald Duck Vol 4 Replacement disc

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I never realized there was a replacement disc for this set. I hope someone has more information about how to obtain one, because the error always bothered me.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I never realized there was a replacement disc for this set. I hope someone has more information about how to obtain one, because the error always bothered me.
Nor did I that's why I'm trying to find info on that.

I will call the customer service number on those links to see what they say. Not optimistic about anything coming of it though.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Class316 wrote:From http://www.dvdizzy.com/donaldvol4b.html
The Walt Disney Treasures line has been very good about offering even controversial cartoons in their original, uncut form. The Chronological Donald Volume Four contains a notable but befuddling exception to that rule. Bee on Guard, a 1951 short located on Disc One, ends abruptly and chops off five seconds from the original cut. The truncation is likely a mistake rather than an intentional edit; the five missing seconds contain nothing that could be considered offensive or legally troubling. The omitted animation merely zooms in on the bee's face as he winks. The edit will understandably frustrate many collectors but ultimately isn't of much consequence.
Does anyone know if any replacement disc was ever issued for the first disc from this set? And if so can it still be obtained?

I tried searching online I could only come up with these pieces of evidence.

Wikipedia talks about a replacement disc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disn ... olume_Four

And this link lists info on other replacement discs but only mentions that a replacement disc for this one would be issued: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts ... &archive=0
Yes, a replacement disc was offered a few months after release and I received it from Disney after submitting a request. I doubt they still have copies available but it wouldn't hurt to try
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

geniuswalt wrote: Yes, a replacement disc was offered a few months after release and I received it from Disney after submitting a request. I doubt they still have copies available but it wouldn't hurt to try
Can you post the number on the replacement disc 1?

Another question, do you know if there was a replacement for disc 1 of Mickey Mouse in Black and White, Volume Two (The Castaway has 2 seconds of missing footage)
wtdanceisthrough

Post by wtdanceisthrough »

I'd contact Disney and ask them. It doesn't hurt to ask. I contacted them in 2013 about getting replacement discs for "More Silly Symphonies" and I didn't think I had much of a chance of getting them, especially as that set was only ever released in Region 1 and I live in the UK. However I still managed to get them to send me the replacements by international post, 6 years after their release.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

UPDATE on this!

I called 800-723-4763 and I pressed 1 for English and 5 for all other inquires.

They asked me for some info on the release

UPC
86936 76826

Spine

Then the numbers on the disc, this is where it becomes tricky

The FRONT of Disc 1 says 367127 CD4-ON-NW1.1 (IN MIRROR WRITING NO LESS - at least on mine)

The BACK of Disc 1 says 367126 CD4-ON-NW1.1

I said "the front says 367127 and the back says 367126"

Seems that info was adequate and I was told they would be able to replace the disc! I couldn't believe it!

A few days later I got the envelope, sent my old disc, then got back a new one! I tried it and you see the full footage on the "Bee On Guard" short! Wow that is awesome! Especially when you consider this is the only non-VHS release of that particular short.

For those that want to check their disc, the back of the corrected disc says 373491 CD4-ON-NW1.2

Since I never knew about this up until now, I wonder if any replacement discs were issued for the first Mickey Mouse in Living Color (the censored audio in Clock Cleaners), the first Silly Symphonies (censored Jewish disguise in Three Little Pigs), and the second Mickey Mouse in B&W (The Castaway missing 2 seconds)
Last edited by Class316 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

For what it's worth, I asked them about Mickey Mouse in Living Color and Mickey Mouse in B&W vol 2 they said no new versions were issued. Such a shame.

At least I bought for less than $5 shipped on ebay a used copy of Have a Laugh vol 2 which fixes the Clock Cleaners short.

Three Little Pigs I got someone to send me the vob from the UK release.

There's sadly no easy fix for the issues in Mickey Mouse in B&W vol 2.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Was Donald Duck Vol 4 even released outside USA? I have the three first, but not the last, and it really annoys me. Just like the release of Silly Symphonies is missing a lot of cartoons.

Walt Disney Treasures releases in general is much less impressing in Europe. I didn't buy Mickey Mouse in Black and White partly because many of the first cartoons is more of a historical interest. But several of the later black and whites are worth watching. And I actually believed the collected cartoon series would be like the classic animated features; released again and again with just a few years between. Turns out I was wrong. It's the idea that some will never be available again that bothers me, and so will be outside my reach. Disney+ could at least partly change some of that, but I prefer having it on a physical medium and be able to see it whenever I want even without a subscription.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Even Disney+ hasn't bothered to release most of these classic shorts so there's really no excuse for them to say that they are all readily available in HD/4K. They really ought to have done some exhaustive Blu-Ray collection.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Re: Walt Disney Treasures Donald Duck Vol. 4 Replacement Dis

Post by Pasta67 »

Please forgive the bump, but I have an update for anyone who may be interested.

I've owned this set since 2008, and I've known about the "Bee on Guard" issue since reading the DVDizzy review, but I never realized Disney issued a replacement program for the disc. It simply didn't seem like something they'd bother with. I came across Class316's extremely thorough guide a few posts above (Thank you!) and decided to try my luck. The fact that others had seen success as recently as 2018 gave me hope. I called Disney Home Entertainment customer service and crossed my fingers (which made dialing the phone difficult).

The friendly customer service rep seemed somewhat familiar with the issue I was describing, and asked me for the number on the spine of my DVD (057742). Unfortunately, he confirmed that the replacement period for The Chronological Donald, Vol. 4 had closed and that production had been discontinued. (The way he worded his response seemed to imply that they're no longer doing replacement disc programs for any titles, but I can't be sure.) He added me to a waiting list if anything changes and offered a brief elevator pitch for Disney+.

Oh, well. Until recently I didn't even realize a replacement program existed, so I'll live. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any, but at the end of the day I'm just grateful that the five missing seconds of "Bee on Guard" aren't of much consequence.
- John
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Walt Disney Treasures Donald Duck Vol. 4 Replacement Dis

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Pasta67 wrote:Please forgive the bump, but I have an update for anyone who may be interested.

I've owned this set since 2008, and I've known about the "Bee on Guard" issue since reading the DVDizzy review, but I never realized Disney issued a replacement program for the disc. It simply didn't seem like something they'd bother with. I came across Class316's extremely thorough guide a few posts above (Thank you!) and decided to try my luck. The fact that others had seen success as recently as 2018 gave me hope. I called Disney Home Entertainment customer service and crossed my fingers (which made dialing the phone difficult).

The friendly customer service rep seemed somewhat familiar with the issue I was describing, and asked me for the number on the spine of my DVD (057742). Unfortunately, he confirmed that the replacement period for The Chronological Donald, Vol. 4 had closed and that production had been discontinued. (The way he worded his response seemed to imply that they're no longer doing replacement disc programs for any titles, but I can't be sure.) He added me to a waiting list if anything changes and offered a brief elevator pitch for Disney+.

Oh, well. Until recently I didn't even realize a replacement program existed, so I'll live. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any, but at the end of the day I'm just grateful that the five missing seconds of "Bee on Guard" aren't of much consequence.
Why were you offered a brief elevator pitch for Disney+. ?
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

His brief Disney+ plug had nothing to do with my inquiry about the replacement program. He simply mentioned it to fill dead air while he was typing stuff into his computer. They're probably trained to do so.
- John
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Maybe it was because Disney+ has Donald Duck shorts, so you could watch Bee On Guard?