The Legacy Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Legacy Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

bruno_wbt wrote:
Khonnor wrote:So, any news if they're going to continue this line?

According to amazon, Beauty and the Beast is going to be the next album available on February 2, 2018.

https://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Beast-Leg ... rds=disney
The Amazon page has been updated to reflect a release date of Feb 9 instead of 2. Surprised that Disney Music Emporium hasn’t announced anything though! Then again, when they announced Tobin Hood, it was released shortly after.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

rb_canadian181 wrote:
bruno_wbt wrote:
According to amazon, Beauty and the Beast is going to be the next album available on February 2, 2018.

https://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Beast-Leg ... rds=disney
The Amazon page has been updated to reflect a release date of Feb 9 instead of 2. Surprised that Disney Music Emporium hasn’t announced anything though! Then again, when they announced Tobin Hood, it was released shortly after.
Soooo getting this! Very excited! :D
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Me, too. Can't wait to see the tracklist.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Me, too. Can't wait to see the tracklist.
Even though I own the release on MP3 with all the tracks and instrumentals. BATB is my favorite Animated Classic so I own everything of it lol. :D
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Matt wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:Me, too. Can't wait to see the tracklist.
Even though I own the release on MP3 with all the tracks and instrumentals. BATB is my favorite Animated Classic so I own everything of it lol. :D
Yeah, I own that, too. :) I'm actually working on doing the same thing with The Hunchback. Doing instrumental versions of the songs, and then, isolating the score in the movie. :)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Found this online. Is it official?
Maria_Potter

Post by Maria_Potter »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Found this online. Is it official?
I don't think it is; I google searched the image and it looks like the castle image is concept art.
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

Do you guys think these two links have decent credibility? They seem to have the same cover art that Sicoe found. But still no track details. BATB LC has been added to amazon.ca with the same Feb 9 release date!

https://vgmdb.net/album/73695

https://genius.com/albums/Various-artis ... -the-beast
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That's the same picture I saw a month or two ago when I randomly searched, but I assumed it was fake because it wasn't on the Emporium website.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I assumed it's fake, too, but it looks so official. :) Whoever did it, did an amazing job
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Found this online. Is it official?
I hope this is fake due to the fact that all the others had a beautiful redrawn cover and this just gets the castle scene from the movie?! Really Disney?! :x
They could do so much with this cover it’s not even funny. I pray this is fake but I’m most certain.. it’s not. :( :down: :!:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Isn't that picture concept art from the original film? I'm pretty sure it's fake. It doesn't fit the style of the other covers anyway. For sure it'll feature Belle and the Beast, probably in the ballroom scene.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Barnes and Noble is offering a Vinyl sampler of the collection.

Source: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/walt-d ... n/29163736
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

That BatB cover looks more like it's for The Enchanted Christmas :?. Fingers crossed it's only a mock-up and we get something more representative of the film and its characters instead.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Mooky wrote:That BatB cover looks more like it's for The Enchanted Christmas :?. Fingers crossed it's only a mock-up and we get something more representative of the film and its characters instead.
It's a fan-made cover from 2016.

Anyway, I've been doing some Armchair Imagineering on what bonus tracks/lost chords could be included in this set based on what we know exists, and where they originated from. If we cut out the redundant final comparison tracks from 1994's "The Music Behind the Magic," we'll get the following material:

02. "Prologue" (final/no dialogue) - Instrumental (2:31)
03. "Belle (Reprise)" (demo) - Howard Ashman & Alan Menken (0:58)
05. "Wolf Attack" (unreleased master) - Instrumental (02:39)
06. "Gaston" (demo) - Ashman & Menken (03:39)
08. "Gaston (Reprise)" (demo) - Howard Ashman & Alan Menken (02:28)
09. "Be Our Guest" (demo) - Howard Ashman & Alan Menken (03:27)
12. "Human Again" (demo) - Howard Ashman & Alan Menken (9:10) - longer than the video reel on DVD/Blu-Ray
15. "Beauty and the Beast" (work tape) - Howard Ashman & Alan Menken (01:43)
16. "Beauty and the Beast" (demo) - Howard Ashman & Alan Menken (02:13)
19. "Transformation #1" (final) - Instrumental (01:35) - better known as "Death of the Beast"

A longer, work tape version of "Be Our Guest" was released in 2008's "Howard Sings Ashman" two-CD set, so hopefully we'll get that here, too. Also, MBTM includes the first few seconds of the "Belle" demo, but the entire track hasn't been released, nor has there been official releases of the demos for "Something There" or "The Mob Song." So those, too, could be included. Likewise, there are two additional demo tracks for "Beauty and the Beast," Alan Menken's pop version and Angela Lansbury's piano version. The latter was used as background audio on "Beyond Beauty" and was extracted as best as could be on YouTube (where much of this information originates from, lol)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDvN7M2rVDw[/youtube]

Of course, if I had my druthers, we'd get a third disc devoted to specially-composed theme park music (like the complete 25-minute "Live on Stage" musical which has my preferred waltz version of "Beauty and the Beast"), the area background music from New Fantasyland (Be Our Guest restaurant, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Gaston's Tavern, Town Square, Bonjour! Village Gifts) foreign language covers made by Disney (the 1992/2002 French covers, the 1992 Spanish cover), that country-fied mellow version by Clare Bowen & Sam Palladio (from "Backstage with Disney on Broadway: Celebrating 20 Years "), and a few newly-recorded tracks devoted to the Broadway & 2017 additions, as sung by the 1991 cast: "Me" by Richard White & Paige O'Hara, "Home" and "A Change in Me" by Paige O'Hara, "If I Can't Love Her" & "Evermore" by Robby Benson, and "How Does a Moment Last Forever" and "Beauty and the Beast" by Susan Egan (simply because she sang both live at D23 and now I selfishly want full studio recordings available).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJ0FbR9Dck[/youtube]

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, but, this collection is about music that is specific to the making of the movie, not anything else.

But I hope we get everything you listed before you said, "Of course, if I had my druthers". Great list. You always comprise such great information.
Disney's Divinity

I, too, wish we could get the original cast singing the later song additions to the Broadway show and 2017 film, particularly with age taking its toll on the cast. (Similar to how I felt about the TLM Legacy release.) And of course I hope they'll at least have all the demos, particularly the piano of B&tB with Lansbury. I hadn't seen the Susan Egan performances of HDaMLF? and B&tB before. Thank you for posting about them, Escapay. :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Once again this collection is for music pertaining to the original movies only.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I, too, wish we could get the original cast singing the later song additions to the Broadway show and 2017 film, particularly with age taking its toll on the cast. (Similar to how I felt about the TLM Legacy release.)
Yeah, I had my own issues with that set, too. Bad enough they wouldn't bring in Pat Carroll to record "Silence is Golden" as a fully finished Lost Chord, but they didn't even include the demo on the disc although it appeared in the 1994 "Music Behind the Magic" CD, the 2006 DVD, and the 2013 Blu-Ray! Of course, they also omitted five other tracks from "Music Behind the Magic," so that was another problem as well.

Most of the Broadway songs for The Little Mermaid are fairly forgettable (truthfully, both the original production and the remount are terrible), so I didn't mind that they didn't re-record any of the new songs for the Legacy Collection. But it would have been great to have a C.D. Barnes version of "Her Voice" or "One Step Closer," assuming that Barnes is a singer (is he?).
Disney's Divinity wrote:I hadn't seen the Susan Egan performances of HDaMLF? and B&tB before. Thank you for posting about them, Escapay. :)
You're welcome! The video was shot by my friend Dwayne (I was at another panel at D23 when this one was going on), so I'll let him know you appreciated it when I see him next month.
Disney Duster wrote:Once again this collection is for music pertaining to the original movies only.
:roll: Of the thirteen releases, nine include material that does not pertain to music featured in the original movies.

The Lion King includes "The Morning Report," a song created for the Broadway musical and later re-inserted into the film in 2003, but has been removed from the film since 2011.

Mary Poppins includes audio transcripts of story meetings, no songs or music are included on the tracks, but you do hear P.L. Travers be a bitch to Don DaGradi and the Sherman Brothers.

Sleeping Beauty contains two tracks from the Tutti Camarata "Songs of Sleeping Beauty cover album; these orchestrations are not used in the original film.

Fantasia includes a track of Sterling Holloway narrating "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," not present in the final film, as well as Make Mine Music's "Peter and the Wolf," which was never intended for Fantasia. It also includes Irwin Kostal's 1982 digital re-recordings, which was certainly not used in 1940.

Pinocchio includes five Jiminy Cricket songs originally produced between 1955 and 1956 for educational cartoon shorts.

Lady and the Tramp includes the 1955 Disneyland Records album of six tracks, which, due to contract issues with Decca Records, re-recorded Peggy Lee's songs with Teri York and Robie Lester. Naturally, these tracks do not appear in the final film, and use extra lyrics not present in the film.

Disneyland consists entirely of theme park music, half of which isn't native to Disneyland: "The Bear Band Serenade," "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Medley," "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience! Theme," and "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Theme" originated in Walt Disney World, while the other tracks were all from Disney California Adventure.

Cinderella includes bonus tracks of the newly-recorded orchestral score from the 1995 album, which, you know, being 45 years later, was not used in 1950.

Robin Hood includes songs from Louis Prima's "Let's Hear It For Robin Hood" companion album, several of which were never intended for use in the film.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:Once again this collection is for music pertaining to the original movies only.
Once again, direct your condescending, arbitrary nitpicking at someone who gives a rat's ass what you think (ie, not me). Please and t/y. :wave: