Favorite Disney Christmas Songs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Favorite Disney Christmas Songs

Post by Sotiris »

What are your favorite Christmas/winter holiday songs, specifically written for a Disney project?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Favorite Disney Christmas Songs

Post by Vlad »

Mine would have to be "The Twelve Days of Christmas", from the Disney Princess Christmas Album. I love the orchestrations.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, there aren't really many explicitly Christmas songs or am I wrong? I guess if you look at other parts of "Disney" like Touchstone (TNBC--"What's This?" would be my favorite), Fox ("My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music is something I associate with Christmas, mostly because of Lorrie Morgan; Anastasia's "Once Upon a December," both the main version and the early lullaby with Lansbury), The Muppets, and so on. Maybe something from Babes in Toyland, but I haven't seen that in forever. Was that Christmas Carol musical with Kelsey Grammar Disney?

"As Long As There's Christmas" from Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas, "Peace on Earth" (Teri York) from Lady and the Tramp, and the Olaf's Frozen Christmas songs are the only thing that come to mind as specifically being about Christmas. There's a Disney Princess Christmas album out there. It's okay for a novelty album... The only song I'd really recommend is Judy Kuhn's "Silver and Gold."

Other songs I sometimes re-appropriate for Christmas even though they're not about it really: "God Help the Outcasts" and "Someday" (the musical version) from THoND, "Candle on the Water," Alison Krauss' "There Is Life" from Bambi and the Great Prince, "Feed the Birds (Tuppence a Bag)," Carrie Underwood's "There's a Place For Us" (for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, I think?). "When You Wish Upon a Star" has been used on holiday albums before (Idina Menzel's, at least). I love SHeDAISY's cover of "Deck the Halls" at the end of Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, too, but that wasn't really made for the film, I guess. Then there's a song that wasn't written by/for Disney that I associate with winter-time ("Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from Fantasia), but that's probably more to do with the imagery that accompanies it. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:"As Long As There's Christmas" from Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas, "Peace on Earth" (Teri York) from Lady and the Tramp, and the Olaf's Frozen Christmas songs are the only thing that come to mind as specifically being about Christmas.
There are also the songs from the featurettes Mickey's Christmas Carol ("Oh, What A Merry Christmas Day"), The Prince and the Pauper ("Like a King", though only the lyrics are original) and The Small One ("Small One", "The Merchant's Song" and "A Friendly Face"). But I can't think of more Christmas related songs, at least from Disney animation. I guess my favorite would be "Peace on Earth", but I also like "As Long As There's Christmas" and "Oh, What A Merry Christmas Day".

Disney's Divinity wrote:"There's a Place For Us" (for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, I think?).
"There's a Place For Us" is from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but I guess it can also be considered from Disney now that Disney is acquiring Fox.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sotiris wrote:What are your favorite Christmas/winter holiday songs, specifically written for a Disney project?
"Once Upon a Wintertime" from Melody Time is a favorite. We grew up with "A Disney Christmas Gift" on VHS, so I always have fond memories of that song and segment more so than the rest of Melody Time.

Likewise, "Oh, What a Merry Christmas Day" is part and parcel of my Christmas experience. One of our oldest VHS tapes was from the 1987 broadcast of Mickey's Christmas Carol, so I literally grew up with this special since I was a wee one.

Also, some of the original songs from the "Twelve Days of Christmas" Sing-Along Song VHS have roots in my childhood, including such... classics... as "Hip-Hop Noel" and "He Delivers."

Finally, now that Fox is a Disney property, that makes "Somewhere in My Memory" from Home Alone a Disney-owned song. Heck, the entire score for that film is essential Christmas listening.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Some of my favorites are:

As Long as There's Christmas (from Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas)
The Best Christmas of All (from Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse)
The Beauty of the Season (from Disney Princess: A Christmas of Enchantment)
When We're Together (from Olaf's Frozen Adventure)
From the Heart (from Sofia the First)
Christmas with My Prince (from Disney Princess Christmas Album)
Peace and Joy (from Sofia the First)
Home for Navidad (from Elena of Avalor)
That's What Wassalia's For (from Sofia the First)
Ring in the Season (from Olaf's Frozen Adventure)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ I didn't know there were so many Disney Christmas songs from TV productions! From the ones on your list, I really like the song sung by Tiana ("From the Heart" from Sofia the First). "Home for Navidad" from Elena of Avalor is also quite catchy and cheerful.

Escapay wrote:"Once Upon a Wintertime" from Melody Time is a favorite. We grew up with "A Disney Christmas Gift" on VHS, so I always have fond memories of that song and segment more so than the rest of Melody Time.
That's a good song too. I didn't think of it as a Christmas song, but it's actually perfect for the season.

D82 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:"As Long As There's Christmas" from Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas, "Peace on Earth" (Teri York) from Lady and the Tramp, and the Olaf's Frozen Christmas songs are the only thing that come to mind as specifically being about Christmas.
There are also the songs from the featurettes Mickey's Christmas Carol ("Oh, What A Merry Christmas Day"), The Prince and the Pauper ("Like a King", though only the lyrics are original) and The Small One ("Small One", "The Merchant's Song" and "A Friendly Face"). But I can't think of more Christmas related songs, at least from Disney animation.
Rereading my comment, I've realized the only song that is really about Christmas from the ones I mentioned is "Oh, What A Merry Christmas Day". The songs from The Small One are not specifically about the holiday and The Prince and the Pauper is not even a Christmas special, it just has a winter setting.

Apart from the ones I mentioned in my previous post, from all the company's productions, I would also add "What's This" from The Nightmare Before Christmas and "It Feels Like Christmas" from The Muppet Christmas Carol to my list of favorites.