Glen Keane News & Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: New Glen Keane short

Post by Sotiris »

‘Dear Basketball’: An All-Star Team-Up
http://www.animationmagazine.net/events ... r-team-up/

Glen Keane Soars in ‘Dear Basketball’
https://www.awn.com/animationworld/glen ... basketball

How a 'Little Mermaid' Animator Got Inside Kobe Bryant's Head for 'Dear Basketball'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behin ... ll-1082222
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I hope the short gets nominated! I think it has a good chance b/c of the Kobe tie.

its kinda cool that Kobe likes animation and he seems to especially like hand-drawn. Maybe he'll become involved in a future hand-drawn film. Of course it will probably be about basketball, but hopefully it would appeal to non-basketball fans as well.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Glen Keane drawing on The Late Late Show!
https://youtu.be/6hHmoNoUWQI
(via Cartoon Brew)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Incredible. Magical. Like I was loving the song and Ariel all over again. I just wish he had actually "animated" her.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Glen Keane drawing on The Late Late Show!
https://youtu.be/6hHmoNoUWQI
(via Cartoon Brew)
I played with VR tools similar to what he uses here at an animation event I went to a few months ago. It's really fascinating, though a bit complex. You need two controllers and a really steady pair of hands.

The nicest feature is the depth of the interface -- you can "zoom in" or "zoom out" of your picture just by stepping forward or stepping backward. For me when I tried it out it was fun to make rainbow hoops then make a tunnel out of them to walk through.

Who knows, maybe one day this'll be a future way of animating. The system is still developing though, and because it is interactive it'd be like learning how to sculpt a hand-drawn picture, if that makes sense at all.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I'm sure there are still ways to improve the technology. For instance, there could be a virtual menu floating behind you that you could drag in front of you, giving you several options like making a miniature copy of your drawing, and when you grab it, you can manipulate it by turning it upside down or around, while original full size version mimics the movements.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Walt Disney Family Museum is holding an exhibit dedicated to Glen Keane.
The Walt Disney Family Museum is proud to introduce our newest original exhibition, Make Believe: The World of Glen Keane, showcasing the work of this critical Disney animator and artist. Keane’s dynamic artistic talent brings to life some of the most unforgettable characters of our time, from the imposing Beast and fearless Tarzan, to the daring heroines Ariel, Pocahontas, and Rapunzel. The exhibition, curated by Glen Keane in partnership with Michael Labrie, the museum’s Director of Collections and Exhibitions, opens on March 8, 2018 in the museum’s Theater Gallery and will be on view through September 3, 2018.

This unique exhibition showcases hand-drawn animation and maquettes of Keane’s most iconic Disney characters, from earlier films, including The Fox and the Hound (1981), to more recent works, such as Tangled (2010). Keane’s methodical approach to his work, honed during a 40-year-career that has witnessed profound technological changes in the field of animation, led to a period now recognized as the Disney animation renaissance. Make Believe features images and animation sketches from numerous films, including The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), Pocahontas(1995), and Tarzan (1999).

Of special interest, also on view in this exhibition are Keane’s personal works, many of which emerged from dynamic partnerships. Visitors can get a rare glimpse into Keane’s collaboration with the Paris Opéra (Nephtali), his embracing of innovation and technology with Google on Duet, and his recent 2017 collaboration with Kobe Bryant and legendary composer John Williams on Dear Basketball.
Source: http://waltdisney.org/exhibitions/make- ... glen-keane
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Glen Keane is directing a CG-animated feature called "Over the Moon" at China's Pearl Studio (formerly Oriental DreamWorks) and it's set to be released in 2020 theatrically in China and worldwide on Netflix.

Glen Keane Will Direct ‘Over The Moon’ For Pearl Studio And Netflix
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film ... 56413.html
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Glen Keane News & Discussion

Post by D82 »

I'm really happy that he finally has the chance of directing a full-length animated feature. I'm also very curious to see how his directing style is. I wish it was 2D, though.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Congrats to Keane! May he have more success there than he did as a director for a Disney animated feature. The sketches look beautiful from what's been revealed so far and the plot sounds intriguing as well. Wish it could have been 2D as well, but I hope he at least is able to put his own twist on the CGI. Maybe not exactly what he planned for Rapunzel, but something to make his unique mark on the film and help it differ from all the soulless CGI films out there.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

so I assume this Moon Goddess is the same character as the one in Tale of Princess Kaguya? Thats an interesting concept. I wish Glen luck and look forward to it. Though I too would have preferred it to be hand-drawn. Maybe he'll sneak in a 2d segment or 2?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote:so I assume this Moon Goddess is the same character as the one in Tale of Princess Kaguya?
Well, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is based on a Japanese folktale, while this one is Chinese, so I think it's not the same tale. I was curious about it yesterday, so I looked it up and I think it might be based on this one instead:
Chang'e or Chang-o, originally known as Heng'e, is the Chinese goddess of the Moon. She is the subject of several legends in Chinese mythology, most of which incorporate several of the following elements: Houyi the archer, a benevolent or malevolent emperor, an elixir of life and the Moon. In modern times, Chang'e has been the namesake of the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program.

There are many tales about Chang'e, including a well-known story which is given as the origin of the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival. In a very distant past, ten suns had risen together into the skies and scorched the earth, thus causing hardship for the people. The archer Yi shot down nine of them, leaving just one sun, and was given the elixir of immortality as a reward. He did not consume it straight away, but hid it at home, as he did not want to gain immortality without his beloved wife Chang'e. However, while Yi went out hunting, Fengmeng broke into his house and tried to force Chang'e to give him the elixir; she refused and drank it herself. Chang'e then flew upwards towards the heavens, choosing the moon as residence. Yi discovered what had transpired and felt sad, so he displayed the Fruits and Cakes that Chang'e had liked, and gave sacrifices to her.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang%27e

But, as the article says, it's a modern-day retelling of the myth, so probably it will be very loosely based on it.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Just wish the studio would have been able to recruit others animators as well, like Andreas Deja and Eric Goldberg. Old school animators are becoming a rare breed.

Also, from an article:

http://www.slashfilm.com/glen-keane-net ... -the-moon/
As hand-drawn animation slowly disappears from Hollywood, at least one legendary animator is helping to keep it alive.
Not sure if that means the movie will be hand-drawn, but one can always hope.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

D82 wrote:
unprincess wrote:so I assume this Moon Goddess is the same character as the one in Tale of Princess Kaguya?
Well, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is based on a Japanese folktale, while this one is Chinese, so I think it's not the same tale. I was curious about it yesterday, so I looked it up and I think it might be based on this one instead:
thanks for looking that up! so its a totally different tale. I thought maybe they were both based on "The Bamboo Cutter's Daughter", since the story is popular in many Asian countries.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Not sure if that means the movie will be hand-drawn, but one can always hope.
It doesn't. Pearl Studio is a CG studio. They've animated Kung Fu Panda 3 and the upcoming Everest. They're not set up to produce any other type of animation. What I hope though is that Glen Keane will be able to insert at least a short 2D sequence in it.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Did they do the hand drawn animation in the credits of the first film? I'd watch a whole movie that look like that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kyle wrote:Did they do the hand drawn animation in the credits of the first film?
No, that was done by Shine Studio. Oriental DreamWorks didn't even exist back then.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

While we wait for some more news, here are some facts about Glen Keane for those interested (in case it should be new info):

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/legacy/ ... 06190.asp/
His senior year in high school Glen was torn between college football and art. As he couldn’t bear the thought of not drawing. which would be like not breathing, he chose art. Glen and his father journeyed to Los Angeles over Easter weekend with Glen’s portfolio to turn into Cal Institute of Arts for application to become a student there. Unfortunately, the school administration office was closed but they saw a hippy looking guy passing by and asked if he was a student, which he was. Glen’s father handed over the portfolio and asked if the student would turn in the portfolio for them. The response they received was “Yeah man, okay sure”, which made Glen wonder if the student was stoned and if his portfolio would really be turned in.

Two months passed before he had his answer. As Glen put it, “Finally I got this letter from the school saying that I had been accepted to the School of Film Graphics. 'What? What is film graphics? I want to paint. I don‘t want to operate cameras,' because it sounded like film cameras and photography. So I called the school and said 'I don’t want to do that, I want to be a painter, an artist.' The response was 'Well, sorry, this is the school you’ve been accepted into. You’ve got to do that if you want to come here. You could take a second major and go into painting.' Glen said 'Okay, I’ll do a second major in painting and do this stupid film graphics, whatever that is.' And I got there and the first day in class, I walked in and saw these strange looking desks with these round things on them with pegs there and people sitting over their drawings. I said what the heck is that. I was told those are our animation desks. Oh, film graphics, that is kind of an artistic, fancy way of saying cartoons. Cartoons, I’d never thought of doing that before but it wasn’t long before I found it was a combination of all the arts together. In this one art form you have music, you have drawing, you have painting, you have acting, you have film, color, everything is in one. and I just fell in love with that. I felt that this was what I was born to do and I never planned it, it was a gift.”
Eric Larson, one of the Nine Old Men, flipped through his work. One of his sketches that was discarded had taken him over three months to complete. In the middle of the portfolio Eric stopped at an ink sketch that had taken him only ten seconds to draw and examined it carefully before continuing to flip through the remainder of Glen’s work. He then returning to the one sketch that had caught his attention earlier. Eric asked if Glen could do more sketches like that one and Glen went off to the beach to do about 700 sketches before he returned to Eric. Eric, who took those to the Board which included both Frank and Ollie, among others, for review, kept only 10 per 100. They gave him four weeks to complete an assignment and then another four weeks to complete another assignment. Glen was thrilled to be finally accepted into the program.
Seventeen-year-old Glen was in line to see the movie The Godfather and noticed the girl behind him kept looking at him. He said hi and they began talking. He had never heard a charming accent like hers and learned that she was visiting Phoenix with her parents from Minnesota. She mentioned that she wished she had someone to show her around Phoenix but just then her date came back from buying tickets. Being polite, Glen lapsed into silence but noted where they sat and when the young man left to buy popcorn, Glen raced over to get her telephone number. The next day Glen called the number and it was K-Mart, but he didn’t give up. Instead he got in his car and drove along 24th Street, which runs the length of Phoenix and is filled with motels. He passed the first motel and it didn’t feel right and passed the second motel, which also didn’t feel right. When he reached the third motel, he turned in and as he did, Linda stepped out a door followed by her parents. At that moment youthful insecurity filled him and he thought that maybe she had deliberately given him the wrong number and he slumped down in his car, hoping she wouldn’t see him. As her family started to drive away, her mother noticed his bushy red hair and asked Linda if that was the young man she had met yesterday and had been talking about. Linda climbed in his car happily and he nonchalantly said that he had told her that he would show her Phoenix. They spent the next three days together and she returned to Minnesota.

They wrote for a short while and she told him that she had been engaged to a boy in Minnesota. This was hard on Glen, who had decided when she left Phoenix, that she was the girl he wanted to marry. About a year later, when he was in Los Angeles, his family forwarded him a letter from Linda in Minnesota and he happily wrote her back but no answer. It wasn’t until much later that he learned she had expected him to write back to her twice but unfortunately, disorganized as he was he had lost her address! Two years passed before Glen heard from her again and immediately invited her out to Los Angeles for a visit. He took her to his parents second home at Laguna Beach and they talked and talked. After a total of about five days that they had been together, he asked her to marry him. Later he learned that when they had been in line at The Godfather movie, Linda had noted how calm and assured he was, not looking around at all the girls. When he had spoken to her, she had been picturing what it would be like to be married to him. They were married in August 1975.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Dear Basketball won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Congratulations to Glen on his Oscar win. :party: It was long overdue.