Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Tangled: The Series

Post by justcuttinhair »

Ok, so "Queen for A Day" did not live up to the hype I had anticipated. First, I thought that the song Varian sings was....somewhat shoe-horned in. Honestly, how could we as the audience feel any sort of connection to the relationship between Varian and his father, and the need to "make him proud"...I think that a montage of him growing up with his father or something during the song, would have given some emotional leverage...but, it just came off....lackluster. Also, I think that this magical device able to control the weather, was only known about by the blacksmith?? Maybe I am looking into it too much, but, I have found that over the course of the series...I am finding that certain writers on the show deliver better stories and a consistent theme within the overall context of how it is progressing. To me, "In Like Flynn, Challenge of the Brave, Under Raps" have been the best episodes. I am still loving the design of the show, and the cast does an amazing job! I also, love that I see background characters continually brought in and a sense of community within Corona.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^didn't care for his song either, it did feel awkwardly placed into the narrative, and like it tried too hard to be "so epic!!! feel my pain!!!". :P

to be honest, I dont care for most of the songs in this show, they feel a little too "written for tv" to me. They just dont do anything for me, I only kinda like the intro song Wind in my Hair and that's probably b/c Ive heard it so many times now that its kinda stuck in my head, lol.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think the music generally is about what you'd expect for TV; some are better than others, of course. About the same as the songs from the The Little Mermaid TV series, which were helped enormously by great singers like Jodi Benson and Samuel Wright (and Pat Carroll once, too) doing the heavy lifting. This series has to rely on Mandy Moore... :P The TV show has made me like the Tangled property more, but I'm still not fond of her singing voice. She's a great voice actor otherwise though.

But that may sound harsher than I really feel. Varian's song is the only one I've not cared too much for so far, which is a shame because I really like the Varian character. Hopefully he gets another (better) song eventually.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It looks like next episode is going to be interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwD24zDAeBk

WillytheDino wrote:seems like I've got this (the song) will return in the next episode...
I thought that too because it appeared in the promo, but finally it wasn't in the episode.

justcuttinhair wrote:First, I thought that the song Varian sings was....somewhat shoe-horned in. Honestly, how could we as the audience feel any sort of connection to the relationship between Varian and his father, and the need to "make him proud"...I think that a montage of him growing up with his father or something during the song, would have given some emotional leverage...but, it just came off....lackluster.
unprincess wrote:^didn't care for his song either, it did feel awkwardly placed into the narrative, and like it tried too hard to be "so epic!!! feel my pain!!!". :P
While I love the song itself, as I've said before, I have to agree with both of you. The musical number felt too big for that occasion and that character.

As for the show’s songs in general, I haven’t watched many musical TV shows to compare, but so far they are better than I expected. I like them more than the ones from Galavant, for example. (I didn't watch that show, but I've listened to the songs).
Disney's Divinity

"Life's full of touch choices, isn't it?" Ursula reference in the witch's opening line, lol. And in the same episode Pat Carroll reappears, too!

The whole plot was pretty dark. You know that shadow thing will end up released at some point. I wonder if that episode a little while back of Rapunzel helping the ghost owner of The Ugly Ducking sing her song was meant to help the children viewers become familiar with the green-for-ghost designs.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:"Life's full of touch choices, isn't it?" Ursula reference in the witch's opening line, lol. And in the same episode Pat Carroll reappears, too!

The whole plot was pretty dark. You know that shadow thing will end up released at some point. I wonder if that episode a little while back of Rapunzel helping the ghost owner of The Ugly Ducking sing her song was meant to help the children viewers become familiar with the green-for-ghost designs.
You are speaking about the second-to-last episode, right? Yes, it was quite dark, certainly more than the Halloween episode. I liked that reference to The Little Mermaid and I love Pat Carroll's character, she's always hilarious.
Disney's Divinity

^ I actually saw a rerun of "Not in the Mood" yesterday morning and assumed it had to have been from before "Queen For a Day." They seem to always put these filler episodes between the more interesting ones. Definitely looking forward to seeing Varian again in this next episode.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:^ I actually saw a rerun of "Not in the Mood" yesterday morning and assumed it had to have been from before "Queen For a Day." They seem to always put these filler episodes between the more interesting ones. Definitely looking forward to seeing Varian again in this next episode.
Ah, OK. I'm looking forward to the next episode too. I also wonder what Varian is going to do with the potion he picked up at the end of "Not in the Mood".
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• Episode titles after The Quest for Varian and The Alchemist Returns:
• Promo for The Quest for Varian in better quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YQGDA2jlJQ

• And press release for the Queen For A Day DVD: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tangle ... me-2/23853
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

As this series is such a big success, I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to revisit some of the other Princesses ? They could have their own show, in this same sort of style; a continuation of the story with brilliant creative minds behind it. That way, they can build the Princess brand, expand it ('Dream Big, Princess') and modernise them a bit, as they seem so desperate to do.

They started it off with Sofia the First, and all the Princess cameos were met so positively, imagine what a whole show could do ?
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote:• Episode titles after The Quest for Varian and The Alchemist Returns:
Another hour episode, yay. I remember the Aladdin show back in the day had multiple-episode arcs and I always liked that.

Not to go off-topic, but I wonder if Funko might make pops for this show in the next few years while it's airing. I only wonder because they've made some for that Elena show (and maybe Sofia, too, I can't remember). I'd get pops of Varian and Cassandra. :)
Disney's Divinity

Sorry to double-post (I hate doing that). This last episode was a good one. You'd think they'd have saved the destruction of Rapunzel's tower for one of the "movies." I thought for sure Varian had set a trap for them somehow, but he wasn't in this episode and he doesn't look like a (temp) villain from the previews for the next one either.

It was obvious the King was lying, but I didn't expect the men in red clothes to be the guards.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

I got really emotional, which I didn't expect at all, watching the tower go down and I felt Rapunzels reaction was a really normal reaction. I am so happy this show isn't making the hard things 'easier' by going over it real fast. She was emotional that her home for 18 years got destroyed. Sure, she had a lot of bad memories being held captive, but I'm sure there were some good ones, too.

It was a very intense episode. I loved it and I think it was one of the better episodes.
I think the final episodes of this season (the last 3 still need to air) are going to make a nice conclusion to the first seasons' story.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

WillytheDino wrote:She was emotional that her home for 18 years got destroyed. Sure, she had a lot of bad memories being held captive, but I'm sure there were some good ones, too.
Exactly. It was sad for me too to watch the tower being destroyed, especially seeing the tears in Rapunzel's eyes.

The episode was really interesting and they finally revealed part of the mystery of the rocks. I think the drops from the moon, which seems to be what caused the rocks to appear, is a clever explanation. But we still don't know who/if someone is provoking all that. I think the plot with the rocks will be resolved in these 3 next episodes, but they won't discover how to make Rapunzel's hair normal again yet.

Here's the preview for the next episode: https://historianofenchancia.tumblr.com ... urns-promo
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

D82 wrote:
WillytheDino wrote: The episode was really interesting and they finally revealed part of the mystery of the rocks. I think the drops from the moon, which seems to be what caused the rocks to appear, is a clever explanation. But we still don't know who/if someone is provoking all that. I think the plot with the rocks will be resolved in these 3 next episodes, but they won't discover how to make Rapunzel's hair normal again yet.
I think the cutting of the hair and Rapunzel tears that saved Eugene will have something to do with the mystery. They stated that it almost her 17th birthday, meaning it will have been one year since the events of the original movie. I bet this will have something to do with the mystery.

I am surprised at how much work they put in the entire plotting of this season and the overal mystery. Sure, it's a disney series for kids, but it's really well thought out. There were some filler episodes, but if you take them away, you have a really decent story that is also enjoyable for older audiences.
They never had season long mysteries in shows like Aladdin or the little mermaid, and I really en joy it.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

WillytheDino wrote:I think the cutting of the hair and Rapunzel tears that saved Eugene will have something to do with the mystery. They stated that it almost her 17th birthday, meaning it will have been one year since the events of the original movie. I bet this will have something to do with the mystery.
Maybe she still retains some of the magic of the flower and that's why her hair reacts to the rocks.
WillytheDino wrote:I am surprised at how much work they put in the entire plotting of this season and the overal mystery. Sure, it's a disney series for kids, but it's really well thought out. There were some filler episodes, but if you take them away, you have a really decent story that is also enjoyable for older audiences.
I agree, they're doing a great job with the show. I enjoy the filler episodes too (some more than others, of course), but having a mystery that continues throughout the series definitely makes it more interesting.
Disney's Divinity

So I guess this darkness that's behind the rocks (that Rapunzel is the counterpart to) is the same thing we saw in the episode with the witch. I think Varian's heel turn was justified. Rapunzel turned her back on him, didn't even check on him after the storm was over, and the King doesn't care about the people (like Varian and his father). He put the flower's welfare--Rapunzel's welfare--ahead of his people; that's my guess for why he's keeping secrets from her anyway, because he doesn't want her to do anything that might harm herself.

Btw, was it just me, or did it sound like Sean Hayes was voicing the guard that Cassandra/Flynn interrogated? I wouldn't be surprised if someone already posted about him being involved with this show a while back and it slipped from my mind.

I agree with you two (D82 and WillytheDino) that the scene with the tower being destroyed was well-done/very emotional and that it made sense for the character even if it was the place of her captivity/abuse.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I thought Varian was going to be redeemed in the end, but after this last episode I'm not so sure anymore.

The next episode is going to be a one-hour special called "Secret of the Sun Drop", instead of a two-part episode as previously announced, and will air on January 13. Here's the preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPSLuZhUnk
Disney's Divinity wrote:Btw, was it just me, or did it sound like Sean Hayes was voicing the guard that Cassandra/Flynn interrogated? I wouldn't be surprised if someone already posted about him being involved with this show a while back and it slipped from my mind.
Yes, it's Sean Hayes who voices that character. Speaking of voice actors, I wonder if Jeffrey Tambor will be replaced as the voice of pub thug Big Nose after the allegations against him.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:The next episode is going to be a one-hour special called "Secret of the Sun Drop", instead of a two-part episode as previously announced, and will air on January 13.
Yay, that means new songs! I can't believe we've already reached the season finale!

I loved the reference to another Rapunzel drawing by Glen Keane in the last episode.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I love that artwork ! But it does get to me how her waist needed to be smaller and hips made wider ... how friggin tiny is she meant to be ?!

Still bummed that this series hasn’t come to Disney Life yet, as I’ve not been able to watch any of it !!