Coco

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Re: Pixar's Coco

Post by RyGuy »

I just got back from my third viewing! (Thank God for MoviePass.com, haha.)

I have found this movie to still be enjoyable after repeat viewings. In fact, I think this is one of the best Disney movies in at least the past 25 years. The characters are just so much fun and Miguel comes across as endearing rather than bratty. I think one of the other things that works so well is Hector as the comic sidekick. Finally a character who gets laughs without trying too hard (ok except maybe the constant Frida Kahlo references).

Duster, I kind of agree and kind of disagree with your point about Miguel shouldn’t have to choose between his family and his desire to be a musician. In my opinion I think it’s not necessarily an either/or scenario so much as it’s a both/and scenario. Initially, Hector chose music over family and it caused a lot of issues. Miguel essentially faces the same choice. I think Miguel saw the impact of Hector exalting his dream over his family and Miguelrealizes that if he follows that same path he could cause more hurt to his family beyond what Hector caused. But then ultimately his family saw that it wasn’t fair to put Miguel in the place of having to choose (and maybe it was not so fair to have done that to Hector either). I personally loved that juxtaposition because real life often is messy and trying to balance care for your family and self actualization can and often do conflict. I loved the ending where the two were in harmony. I’m not sure whether that entirely is realistic, but it IS the classic Disney happy ending.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

As a dog lover, I adore Dante. With him being Miguel's spirit guide, do you think that he's still a street dog, or do you think Miguel's family let him adopt him?

I'm glad that you're talking about family vs. dreams. I'm glad that Miguel's family came around...I understand that Hector had gone about his dream all wrong, and I understand why Miguel's family banned music, but they were just pushing him away. Had Miguel not gotten de la Cruz's guitar and gone to the other realm, what would have happened to Miguel? I 100% understand having to break away from your family's control in order to live the life you need to live for yourself. I know it might be a funny thing to worry about since it didn't end up happening, but I wonder if Miguel's family would have relented if he ran away to play music, if they would have let music be even a small part of his life.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Coco has had an excellent opening in the US:
With an estimated $49 million for the three-day weekend and $71.2 million for the five-day, Disney and Pixar's Coco delivered the fourth largest Thanksgiving weekend three- and five-day openings. As a result, Disney continues to own nine of the ten largest three and five-day openings over the Thanksgiving holiday with New Line's Four Christmases the only non Mouse House title remaining among the ranks.
Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4348&p=.htm

However, like in Mexico, some people are annoyed by Olaf's Frozen Adventure:

Moviegoers Hate Having to Sitting Through Frozen Short Before Coco
https://movieweb.com/coco-frozen-short- ... ture-hate/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks RyGuy and blackcauldron85 for discussing the issue with me. I would say that even though the film does perhaps say you should have both your dream and family, I am troubled by Miguel saying "Family matters most" as if that is the message, and even if it means later that if family matters most you let each other do what makes them happy, it was when only one either or choice was given and family was said to be the right choice I was bothered. First of all, what happened to Hector is different than what happened to Miguel. Hector left a wife and child to pursue his dreams. If it had been Miguel's case, I would say if your parents, grandparents, and siblings won't let you do what you love, you do need to leave them and follow your dream. If you have a spouse, and you must choose between their love and the love of a dream, it's much harder. But choosing your dream over love is not a wrong decision. And even if you have a child, if they can be put in another's care, leaving them for a love of your dream is not wrong either. The film shouldn't say that you must choose your family over a dream that you love more, if you do love it more.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

With seemingly everyone everywhere raving about this, I'm curious to see it now. From previews, I thought it would be more in-line with Brave or The Good Dinosaur than their best. Hmm.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Disney Duster wrote:Thanks RyGuy and blackcauldron85 for discussing the issue with me. I would say that even though the film does perhaps say you should have both your dream and family, I am troubled by Miguel saying "Family matters most" as if that is the message, and even if it means later that if family matters most you let each other do what makes them happy, it was when only one either or choice was given and family was said to be the right choice I was bothered. First of all, what happened to Hector is different than what happened to Miguel. Hector left a wife and child to pursue his dreams. If it had been Miguel's case, I would say if your parents, grandparents, and siblings won't let you do what you love, you do need to leave them and follow your dream. If you have a spouse, and you must choose between their love and the love of a dream, it's much harder. But choosing your dream over love is not a wrong decision. And even if you have a child, if they can be put in another's care, leaving them for a love of your dream is not wrong either. The film shouldn't say that you must choose your family over a dream that you love more, if you do love it more.
Duster,

I think it was a sequencing thing . . . i.e., he said that earlier in the film than when Mama Imelda and Hector gave him their blessing, no conditions. So I don't think "Family Matters Most" was necessarily the final point; more so just where Miguel's head was at at the time that he said it. That was then followed by Imelda and Hector giving him their blessing without conditions (i.e., not standing in the way of his dream to play music). So my thought is that the final point is that being there for your family is important, but family should encourage you and not squash your dreams. I may have to see it a fourth time to confirm that.
As for your point about choosing your dream isn't a wrong decision, I don't disagree . . . I think . . . but my point was that real life can be messy that way and it's hard to be caught between dreams and responsibilities. I think the film's message is that best solution is where the two can co-exist, which is what happened at the end of the film on the next Dia de los Muertos where Miguel is serenading his family - dead and living - at their annual celebration. Not always realistic or possible but from personal experience, it's awesome when it happens.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

To those who have seen Coco, would you classify it as a musical? Did it feel like a musical to you?

It's Time for Pixar to Make a Musical
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... al-1060906
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I wouldn't classify it a musical. Even though the energy was high, the songs were delivered like, "Here's a song I'm going to play for you." But, this would be an incredible stage musical.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I would not classify it as a musical either except for possibly the last song (Proud Corazon). That song is staged almost exactly like Down In New Orleans (Reprise) was staged.

All the other songs are not sung to express emotion or to move the story forward so much as they are from singing contests, concerts, dinner shows, etc. which factor into the broader narrative.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks RyGuy for answering me. You gave a cool answer. I guess I'm not sure we agree or not, but you gave a good answer and maybe you're right.

This is not a musical. But the songs do have sooo much emotion and meaning in them.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The music video of Iñigo Pascual's English-language rendition of Remember Me for the Filipino release of Coco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kx8AxkUHFI
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I honestly only care about what Mexicans think of this movie over anything else. If I see some smart-ass American/European saying things like "it's not accurate" they can easily go eat a turd. :milkbuds:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I honestly only care about what Mexicans think of this movie over anything else. If I see some smart-ass American/European saying things like "it's not accurate" they can easily go eat a turd. :milkbuds:
Luckily Mexicans have loved this movie and are finding it incredibly accurate and respectful to their culture. I haven't heard any SJWs complain about this film yet so we'll see.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Anthony Gonzalez & Sean Oliu perform "Un Poco Loco".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIOkGHFUSqo
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

"Un Poco Loco" is my favorite song from the film! Wow, Sean Oliu's voice is amazing and wonderful to listen to.

So, I saw this film again and I did cry, and I know it was for real this time. It's so touching. I think this is Pixar's best film. I think my favorites are still The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, and Finding Dory, but this must be my fourth favorite, and still, I think it's Pixar's best.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Just got back from seeing this for the first time. I went in with zero expectations, because I had no idea what to expect. That being said, I did not expect to see this amazing film. This to me is on par with Pixar's Up

I honestly, understand Miguel, and felt his family pushed him away. Heck, at the end when the grandma who broke his guiatar at the beginning of the film was about to break it again, Miguel's father said hold on a moment. I think he tried to stop her the first time, realizing that isn't the best way to persuade him and feared him running away.

Just a funny observation, when the credits rolled and showed John Lasseteer's name, thought, oh, there's a parallel between him and Ernesto. Loved and respected, only to be revealed to the world one's a fraud and not what his jolly happy persona his fans believed him to be. The ending with Mama Coco singing had me in tears a bit.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oooh, I'm so glad you liked it and reacted that way!

You know RyGuy, I guess the film's message was saying you should have both family and your dream. If that is indeed what the film was saying, then you were right, and I agree it's the right message to have. :)

You know blackcauldron85 I bet the dog did get adopted.

Does anyone think that the little message about what it takes to make a Pixar film, how it takes a whole team, was put in so people didn't think it was all due to lecherous Lasseter?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I feel like I'm the only one here who thought it was just okay. :lol:

It's gorgeous and has a strong message, but I thought the film was totally devoid of memorable characters, and highly predictable. Miguel in particular is such a cliche that I'm surprised that he wasn't given his own "I want" song.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Just got back from seeing it and this very film is why I love Pixar films so much. Strong simple story, really good message, memorable characters, fantastic animation/art direction, and really good songs make Coco worth seeing at least two more times.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan