Disney Buys Fox

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Disney in Talks to Buy Fox

Post by estefan »

unprincess wrote:I haven't even thought of how this would affect Blue Sky...would they close it down(poor animators!) would they use them to start making more sequels? (dtvs again? uh oh!) would they just let them keep doing their own thing and release the films during the periods they dont release Disney/Pixar films on the more prime release dates like May and November? Disney would be responsible for almost half the major animated films released in the US. Yikes! :|
John Lasseter is good friends with Chris Wedge and even invited him to make "Epic" at Pixar, when Fox briefly let the "Leafmen" rights expire (but they eventually renewed them, leading to the wonderful finished film). Closing Blue Sky would be a really cruel thing to do to a friend and fellow animation director.

I would hope they would let them do their own thing and stay the same. Blue Sky is doing more than well on their own (I have really high expectations for Ferdinand and Spies in Disguise). But I would prefer Blue Sky not be a part of the Disney family.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Mooky wrote: - family movies like Mrs. Doubtfire, Home Alone, Big, Princess Bride
Well, TV (and maybe theatrical)rights anyway. Though it was distributed by Fox, for whatever reason MGM owns the home video rights in the States (ironically, Disney owns Willow now and that was originally distributed by MGM).
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

milojthatch wrote:Has anyone here read the recent story about the terms Disney is setting with movie theaters that want to show the next Star Wars coming out? If not, you REALLY should know about it. It's been the industry stand for a while now that on opening weekend, the studio gets 55% of the box office from their film and the theater gets 45%. As each week passes from opening weekend, theaters get to keep more and more of the money made, however as the bulk of the money made from a film is that first weekend, it's not very much money that the theater gets to keep. Further, usually after about two weeks, the theater has the right to dump a movie and show a different film instead, or move a movie from their biggest and best screen to a smaller one, and thus show a new movie and hopefully make more money off that. By the way, the biggest reason movie theaters charge so much for snacks is that they get to keep most of the money made from that as opposed to the actual movies. It's actually a pain financially to keep a movie theater open as a business owner. The big chains do a little better, but those single independent theaters really get hammered. And actually, even the big chains can suffer. Just ask MANN theaters about that.

Now here comes Disney, deciding that they want move of the money! So, they have new terms for theaters that wish to show The Last Jedi. Basically, Disney gets to keep 65% of the opening weekend money (a full extra 10%) and the theaters that show the film have to screen it on their biggest screen for a full four weeks. If Disney finds out the theaters break the terms, they get to keep 70% of the money made on the box office at that theater for the film! A number of smaller chains or independent theaters are choosing to not show the film, even though it may cost them customers and some money, as Disney's terms would cost them even more money.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/07/ ... l-theaters

If Disney has the power to demand these terms with PIXAR, Marvel and LucasFilm under their belt, can you imagine the chaos they'd create with the Fox film rights too? And that's not even getting into the situations with TV and cable. Besides the obvious of the FOX network or FX, Fox owns a 30% stake in Hulu and National Geographic, for starters. All of that is on the table for Disney, who already owns a ton of cable networks themselves! And yet all any of you are worried about is will Anastasia get to be a Disney princess? Or, will the X-Men finally enter the MCU? Or can Disney get the home entertainment rights to the first six Star Wars films. Shame on all of you! The next time you look at the high price of cable or your movie tickets, you literally have no one else to blame but yourselves! Disney only get to get away with this crap becuase so many "fans" let them, and even full on support them without understanding the full implications at play. I can't stress enough, Disney buying Fox is great for the Disney board of directors, bad for the rest of us. One would think that Disney could negotiate the sale of specific Marvel and Star Wars rights without taking the whole barn!
I posted about it in the Star Wars thread about a week ago, but I don't think anyone reads that thread (I know I didn't before I posted about it, lol).

I quoted the rest of your post so it would be on this page, too, because I agree with it and it deserves to be seen.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Comcast Has Approached Fox To Discuss Acquisition: Reports
http://deadline.com/2017/11/comcast-21s ... 202210244/
The Walt Disney Co. had previously explored acquiring these same assets, though negotiations recently broke down.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney is not out of the running yet.
Comcast and Disney are staying focused on the prospect of bidding for key 21st Century Fox assets despite the concern about the climate for media mergers raised by the Justice Department’s decision to fight the $85 billion union of AT&T and Time Warner.

Sources say Fox is continuing to engage in very preliminary discussions with Comcast, Disney, and other potential suitors about a sale process of the 20th Century Fox film and TV studio, the FX Networks and National Geographic cable group, Fox’s 30% stake in Hulu, and international TV platforms including Star India and its 39% interest in Euro satcaster Sky. A source said executives at Comcast and NBCUniversal are “being very serious” in studying the Fox assets and trying crunch the numbers with publicly available information. Fox is not believed to have progressed to the point of sending out briefing books or asking potential bidders to sign non-disclosure agreements.

According to Nathanson’s Nov. 20 report, the combined value of the assets believed to be on the block is estimated at around $48.5 billion, with the 20th Century Fox film and TV production operation and library valued highest at around $15 billion.
Source: http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/21st-c ... 202621813/
Regulators might also find it problematic for Disney and Fox to strike any deal that would combine the two movie studios, since it would give one company a nearly unprecedented share of the domestic box office. If Disney and Fox were under one roof a year ago, it would boast market share of nearly 40 percent, while a Sony-Fox hookup would have led to a far more palatable — from a regulatory perspective — 21 percent of the box office.

That’s not to say Disney is out of the running quite yet, argues Tom Eagan of Telsey Advisory Group, because it has much to gain if it could purchase some of Fox’s assets, so it might not give up too quickly.

“Despite recent franchise revitalization (i.e., Star Wars) and successful overseas theme park openings (i.e., Shanghai, China), the Street remains concerned about declining ESPN subs,” Eagan wrote in a research note. “With the Fox cable nets FX and Nat Geo, Disney could diversify its U.S. TV assets while expanding TV operations abroad with Sky and Star India.”
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... it-1060882
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New development. Disney's closing in.
I just want to start with a juicy rumor that is fast gaining steam in town today, that Disney is progressing speedily toward that rumored acquisition of Fox. The version I heard has the Murdoch clan keeping possession of sports and news properties, and the rest of TV and the film studio going to Disney. Radio silence right now from both studios, and given how Disney made the Marvel and Lucasfilm deals under the cone of silence, if this happens we’ll probably only know it when it’s announced. It is certainly being talked about today.
Source: https://deadline.com/2017/11/disney-fox ... 202214838/
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

How much more stuff does Disney need? :?
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, Lord... *sigh* I could feel in my bones that this would eventually go through because Disney is just that money-hungry to absorb everything, so I won't be surprised. Only disappointed.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:New development.
I just want to start with a juicy rumor that is fast gaining steam in town today, that Disney is progressing speedily toward that rumored acquisition of Fox. The version I heard has the Murdoch clan keeping possession of sports and news properties, and the rest of TV and the film studio going to Disney. Radio silence right now from both studios, and given how Disney made the Marvel and Lucasfilm deals under the cone of silence, if this happens we’ll probably only know it when it’s announced. It is certainly being talked about today.
Source: https://deadline.com/2017/11/disney-fox ... 202214838/
Well, I am pleased with this news. I'm glad to know that my favorite properties will finally be under Disney, as they rightfully should have been.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

As long as they don't butcher either the Simpsons or the X-Men, or claim the new X-Men movies that'll surely be made will be the "definitive" version, like they did with Snobby-Man...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:As long as they don't butcher either the Simpsons or the X-Men, or claim the new X-Men movies that'll surely be made will be the "definitive" version, like they did with Snobby-Man...
Honestly, anything Disney/Marvel does for X-Men will be a lot more definitive than anything Fox has done. They got Wolverine right and a handful of other characters like Magneto and Professor X. But the list of characters they butchered is exceedingly long and I'm sure that with the Dark Phoenix movie, that list will only increase.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I love Disney, but I don't like the idea of a powerful mega-corporation becoming even more powerful. This is already a company that has pressured congress to extend copyright dates and mess with the public domain. Do we really want them owning two major Hollywood studios? Disney seems to be inching closer to closer to becoming Buy 'N' Large from "Wall-E." Bob Iger even wants to run for President.

Honestly, I don't want Fox going to another company that already has a major Hollywood studio. Not Comcast or Sony or Time Warner. If Rupert Murdoch is so intent on selling 20th Century Fox (I think it's a bone-headed move to get rid of such a consistent profit generator with a massive library, but I'm not a businessman), it should be to a company like Verizon or Apple or something.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

thedisneyspirit wrote:As long as they don't butcher either the Simpsons or the X-Men, or claim the new X-Men movies that'll surely be made will be the "definitive" version, like they did with Snobby-Man...
The Simpsons has already been butchered.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

willard wrote:
The Simpsons has already been butchered.
Well I don't need Iger-Mickey coming over and deleting stuff here and there and saying "this needs that, and this needs the other thing, blah blah blah"

Bc you're naive if you don't think Disney won't keep riding on the Simpsons bandwagon franchise.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

why do I feel like now they might be really eager to rush in and make a deal just so they can make a big announcement (we got Star Wars back! we got X-men and F4 back! Pandora!) and move the attention away from the Lassater scandal? :milkbuds:
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I have a bad feeling about this...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote:why do I feel like now they might be really eager to rush in and make a deal just so they can make a big announcement (we got Star Wars back! we got X-men and F4 back! Pandora!) and move the attention away from the Lassater scandal? :milkbuds:
That's what I fear. I'm completely against this acquisition. Disney already owns too many things. And I especially don't want them to acquire a company that has its own animation studio.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like it's between Disney and Comcast now.
Walt Disney Co. has re-engaged in discussions with 21st Century Fox to purchase some of the media giant’s assets, and Comcast Corp. remains in the mix, with deal talks gaining momentum, according to people familiar with the situation.
Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-re- ... 1512239431
The talks may not reach any conclusion, according to the Journal report. The Murdoch family hopes to determine whether to pursue a transaction by the end of the year.
Source: http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney ... 202628942/
Murdoch and his family hold 39% of 21st Century Fox voting shares and will reportedly decide by the end of the year whether any sale will move forward. Disney’s previous bid for the assets broke down over price.
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/12/disney-rene ... 202218935/
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Sotiris wrote:It looks like it's between Disney and Comcast now.
I'm not fond of either choice, but if I was forced to choose, I hope Comcast gets Fox.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney better not disappoint their major fandoms here. X-Men fans have been waiting for this for years and as a Fantastic Four fan too, I think they need it just as much if not even more. And I know the Star Wars purist fans just need a crumb if they think that crumb will lead to restored editions of the original Star Wars films. And while I'm not a big Avatar fan, it makes far more sense that they would have the rights to a property that they invested so much in.
ImageImage