Cinderella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella (2015)

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow Atlantica, I'm glad you said all of that! I agree that this is a Disney Classic. And the music certainly is apart of that, too. I love re-watching this film too.

Yea, JeanGreyForever, maybe I can find it later this week. I'm at one of my friend's houses right now. Yea Cinderella would be good to see Cate in a double role because I think she fits those fancy and proper kind of fairy tale characters. But she could be good in the others you said, except probably not The Little Mermaid since I feel both female main characters are totally different from her. I never realized it but yes the pink dress would look out of place at the ball. Not completely, but a certain amount. And you're right Ella wouldn't need to be flashy to attract Kit, but she should get a gown deserving of her actions. I don't think you meant monochromatic, I think you meant polychromatic. I wanted to keep how the pink and blue dresses are monochromatic. The blue dress has puffy sleeves and a big skirt like the silver dress...not the same, but they look a little like them. Thanks for the input on my dress.

I think this was the best remake. I also don't think the Alice's, Maleficent, or Oz are remakes but sequels, prequels, or alternate imaginings.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I found the interview with Cate Blanchett where she talks about playing Cinderella! But I think she was doing it all as a joke from the interviewer's own first joke:
Cate Blanchett Cinderella Interview

The line about Cinderella being control of her own destiny is either an outright lie or she's really just as much in control as she was in the original Disney film or original fairy tale as it can be argued it is her good behavior/faith which bring her happy ending in those versions. In this 2015 version the only thing she does a little more is run away to the forest to help the prince fall in love with her which is a key to her destiny. And as for the interviewer saying she was smart, I would also say she's no smarter than the one in the original Disney film, either.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:I found the interview with Cate Blanchett where she talks about playing Cinderella! But I think she was doing it all as a joke from the interviewer's own first joke:
Cate Blanchett Cinderella Interview

The line about Cinderella being control of her own destiny is either an outright lie or she's really just as much in control as she was in the original Disney film or original fairy tale as it can be argued it is her good behavior/faith which bring her happy ending in those versions. In this 2015 version the only thing she does a little more is run away to the forest to help the prince fall in love with her which is a key to her destiny. And as for the interviewer saying she was smart, I would also say she's no smarter than the one in the original Disney film, either.
Thanks for posting. I agree that this Ella doesn't seem very different intelligent wise compared to the animated one. Some might argue that she has even less intelligence (or at least spunk and drive) because the one scene that showed those qualities (attempting to pursue the princess herself) was cut.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I would say she had either the same or less spunk. And yet the actress thought she had more spark than the original one. And yes that scene showed her taking more control of her situation and then it got cut!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Yes, I would say she had either the same or less spunk. And yet the actress thought she had more spark than the original one. And yes that scene showed her taking more control of her situation and then it got cut!
I suppose that she also has moments of defiance/spunk but they just come in different scenes. The animated Cinderella tries to defend herself against that "cruel, mouse trick" and also sticks up for herself when her stepsisters are teasing her about going to the ball. The live-action Cinderella gets her moment at the end when she refuses to turn the prince over to her stepmother.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yea that's all true. Plus the animated Cinderella says she should get to go, which the live-action one does, too, and I guess I never realized she only puts up with not being able to go when she has no dress to wear (well...sort of...she probably could have sewed that dress up fine quickly). And the animated Cinderella uses Bruno to escape the tower.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I was thinking about this film's message, have courage and be kind, and if Cinderella's character gets her happy ending because of it. I was thinking that her kindness definitely does it. Her vow to be kind in the face of hardship and kindness towards animals and not doing wrong in general are what first wins the prince over. And then her kindness towards the fairy godmother in disguise (that tops off all her kindness she had through her whole life) is what makes her help her. I was wondering if her courage also comes into play when she runs away from her stepfamily a while, and when she says you should have courage in spite of hardships to the prince as well. So I think it really is those things that wins her happy ending.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I was thinking about this film's message, have courage and be kind, and if Cinderella's character gets her happy ending because of it. I was thinking that her kindness definitely does it. Her vow to be kind in the face of hardship and kindness towards animals and not doing wrong in general are what first wins the prince over. And then her kindness towards the fairy godmother in disguise (that tops off all her kindness she had through her whole life) is what makes her help her. I was wondering if her courage also comes into play when she runs away from her stepfamily a while, and when she says you should have courage in spite of hardships to the prince as well. So I think it really is those things that wins her happy ending.
Agreed with all of this. Cinderella never lets go of her kindness and considering what she has to endure, that is quite courageous imo. So I definitely feel that courage and being kind are both related, because it does indeed take deep courage to be kind. I know I often don't have the courage to do so to people who I have grievances with. It reminds me of Michelle Obama's motto of "when they go low, we go high."
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yea, it does take courage to be kind even when things are really bad for you. There is a correlation.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wanted to share a picture, and talk a little bit about how my friends felt about the movie!

Maleficent recently came on TNT, and was followed by this Cinderella, and then Saving Mr. Banks. My friend had rented Cinderella, this one, before, and her boyfriend was like "Oh man, really?", but he watched with her and got sad by and hated how Ella's parents kept dying and he hated how her stepmother was so mean, but he loved the fairy godmother parts, and he was wowed by them, as well as the stairs to the palace and the wedding dress. He wanted to be able to dance well like the prince, but he said he couldn't be like Cinderella (I don't know if he meant in the kindness or subserviant way). My friend said she liked the film. We then watched the remake of Beauty and the Beast a lot when I bought it, and they both liked it a lot, but my friend felt Emma Watson was the wrong choice for Belle and the film wasn't as good as the Cinderella remake. We agreed there. So this recent time when Cinderella was on TNT, we just watched it and I felt kind of embarassed by both a film I thought her boyfriend would find too girly, and also the acting and the dialogue. It felt like the film sucked and was my guilty pleasure. But my friend's boyfriend (who's also my friend) got really into the movie, he even cried when Ella's mother died, though he does cry at a lot of sad things. He again said he couldn't be like Cinderella, but this time specified her kindness, he felt he would be more revengeful on the stepfamily. He didn't get why she became a servant to them, at least at first, maybe he kind of saw how she got forced into it. He loved the fairy godmother parts and whistled at the transformations. I think he said, "That was magical" when Cinderella transformed, and there was the question of why the glass slippers didn't disappear at midnight, and I explained it was because the fairy godmother made them new, he wondered why only Cinderella fit the slipper and I said because she had the tiniest feet, and he wondered how Cinderella would get out of her captivity and I told him to wait for it and he was like "Gotcha!" when the stepmother was going to get stopped by them hearing Cinderella singing, and he loved how the prince had been hiding as a guard. He said "Awesome!" and "I love this movie!" as it ended and well, I love it, too, despite me thinking it's boring and has some bad acting. It's still my favorite live-action movie ever, followed ever so closely by The Wizard of Oz. So, yeah.

And here's the picture I wanted to show, from the "Staging the Ball" bonus feature! Isn't it gorgeous?

Sotiris

Re: Cinderella (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

I've just discovered they made Cinderella clipart in a pose similar to the one in the live-action poster.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I like that pose even if it's wasted on the redesign version of the character.

Also I thought you might like this article, or a piece of it anyway. I've quoted the relevant part below.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/? ... oogle.com/
It is tempting to say that Disney stood on the shoulders of giants or at least did their best not to screw up already-established successes. When it comes to their live-action properties, they have had the vast majority of their recent success with Star Wars movies, MCU flicks and live-action fantasy movies based on animated classics (Maleficent, The Jungle Book, etc.). And that quasi-franchise, especially as a Disney live-action fairy tale is as likely to be as bad as Alice Through the Looking Glass as it is to be as good as Cinderella, these financial wins especially count upon the nostalgia and multigenerational interest stemming from the original IP or the prior Disney animated features.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I despise these princess makeovers. As if the mop hair isn’t bad enough, the dress looks enormous, flying and flapping around everywhere. I liked that the dress in the animated film generally stayed close to her form except when she was holding it out with her hand. This is just hideous. *shrug* I know they're aiming it at 5-year-old's though, so what can you do.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I've just discovered they made Cinderella clipart in a pose similar to the one in the live-action poster.
That poster in turn also looked similar to the picture of Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella from the Disney Dream Portrait Series. Though that's probably because both were shot by Annie Leibovitz.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm at a friend's house now and my phone isn't letting me read the article but I will later. But thanks for highlighting that bit pertaining to this film. I'm glad Forbes agrees the film is good.

As for those beautiful covers, I do believe the pose is more based on the Annie Leibovitz Disney Parks photo, because Cinderella's left hand is holding her dress and her right hand is free. I also believe the Cinderella 2015 poster is based on that photo.

I wanted to say two more things. I never realized until recently that in this film part of why Ella wanted to go to the ball so bad and was so sad she couldn't go was because she wanted to see Kit! I just kind of forgot that was her reason by the time she was about to go to the ball.

And then I wanted to ask: did no one think the picture I posted with Ella's dress in a grand wave behind her was cool?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The rest of the article doesn't really have anything to do with Cinderella so you're not missing out on anything. It does talk about a few other films you like though like Enchanted and Into the Woods.

I didn't notice your earlier post. I like the pic a lot. At first I thought the costume designer was lifting up her skirt to fix something lol.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks. Yeah, it's simply the dance move that is making her dress like that.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Sotiris wrote:I've just discovered they made Cinderella clipart in a pose similar to the one in the live-action poster.

I love it :D Never saw this clipart of her. Even though it's the redesign, I still think she looks beautiful
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Universal just released the opening number for Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, and it features Lily James singing, and I was just thinking Disney missed an opportunity for Cinderella to be a movie musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnKGYnuE8o
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I liked the direction of that clip. And I really enjoyed watching Lily James. If the 2015 film was to be a musical, to me I would love Lily James's singing. It would be better to me, though, if they wrote new songs, because even though the animated film's songs are lovely and iconic, I would rather have even better songs on par with Bambi or the Disney Renaissance films. But I also like that we got the first straight, non-musical theatrical Cinderella film (I think?).