Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Live-Action Aladdin in Development: Thoughts?

Post by PatrickvD »

Yeah he's not feeling the gangster Squad take on the materia at all. And neither am I.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Stop reaching guys, he said nothing of the sort. He just finds the task challenging, for better or for worse. Sorry, the movie won't be a (bland) carbon copy of the original like BatB was... :roll:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sometimes I laugh because there’s really no pleasing anyone when it comes to the remakes. If they hew too closely to the original, everybody hates it. If they do something different, everybody really hates it. Why even bother watching or worrying about them??

As for Menken, we'll have to see the final product before understanding what he's talking about. Some of the comments about what Ritchie wants to do with the film have sounded utterly deranged. I'm guessing he's asking Menken to alter things here and there that make no sense to go along with that.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I consider a remake to do something over again better than the original.
If that's the case, then remakes don't exist! :lol: :P Sorry, Duster, but your personal definition doesn't correspond to the established definition of what a remake is.
What about Ocean's Eleven? And what is the established definition?
willard wrote:The story and characters are fully realized with the animation. Same with all great animated works.
And the story and characters can be equally realized in live-action.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Numan Acar has been cast as Hakim, the head of the guards and Jafar’s right-hand man.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:Numan Acar has been cast as Hakim, the head of the guards and Jafar’s right-hand man.
I guess they're not giving him his name from the films/TV series (Rasoul/Razoul).
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I think that actor would've been perfect for the role of Jafar.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sotiris wrote:Numan Acar has been cast as Hakim, the head of the guards and Jafar’s right-hand man.
I guess Hakim's regained his sanity and is getting out of the discount fertilizer business!

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

And the story and characters can be equally realized in live-action.
Animation is supposed to do things that can't be done in live action. If you think the animation of these films is expendable then that's the real blasphemy.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Actually it's not blasphemy when our filmaking goals are that we can do anything, animated or not. Let's not forget this thing will have CGI animation. The only thing hand-drawn animation should be needed to do that we can't do anyway else is make things look, well, hand-drawn.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

CGI used in live action is different than full CG animated films. One is (supposed to be at least) caricatured, the other isn't.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It doesn't always have to be cariactured in full-length animated films, and even so, the point was about how we can do anything with films, live-action or animated.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Casts Billy Magnussen as New Character
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... er-1035329

Navid Negahban Cast As The Sultan In Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ Remake
http://deadline.com/2017/09/navid-negah ... 202162634/

‘Aladdin’ Enlists Crew From Kingsman, Logan, Wonder Woman, and Thrones
https://thegww.com/aladdin-enlists-crew ... d-thrones/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Casts Billy Magnussen as New Character
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... er-1035329
Sounds like he'll be playing a rival prince for Jasmine's affections. Basically a Prince Achmed character but likely European.
ImageImage
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

I am surprised they went with someone so young for Jafar. Perhaps they show his character at a younger stage.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Shooting has started on Aladdin. There will be two new songs in the movie.
Casting for “Aladdin,” the live-action adaptation of the studio’s animated classic, is complete and production is currently underway at Longcross Studios outside London.

The “Aladdin” cast includes: Two-time Oscar nominee Will Smith (“Ali,” “Men in Black”) as the Genie who has the power to grant three wishes to whoever possesses his magic lamp; Mena Massoud (Amazon’s “Jack Ryan”) as Aladdin, the hapless but lovable street rat who is smitten with the Sultan’s daughter; Naomi Scott (“Power Rangers”) as Princess Jasmine, the Sultan’s beautiful daughter who wants to have a say in how she lives her life; Marwan Kenzari (“Murder on the Orient Express”) as Jafar, an evil sorcerer who devises a nefarious plot to unseat the Sultan and rule Agrabah himself; Navid Negahban (“Homeland”) as the Sultan, the ruler of Agrabah who is eager to find a proper husband for his daughter, Jasmine; Nasim Pedrad (“Saturday Night Live”) as Dalia, Princess Jasmine’s hand maiden and confidante; Billy Magnussen (“Into the Woods”) as Prince Anders, a suitor from Skanland and potential husband for Princess Jasmine; and Numan Acar (“Homeland”) as Hakim, Jafar’s right-hand man and head of the palace guards.

“Aladdin” is directed by Guy Ritchie (“Sherlock Holmes,” “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.”) from a screenplay by John August (“Dark Shadows,” “Big Fish”) based on the 1992 animated film “Aladdin” and stories from “One Thousand and One Nights.” The producer is Dan Lin (“The LEGO Movie”) with Golden Globe winner Marc Platt (“La La Land”), Jonathan Eirich (“Deathnote“) and Kevin De La Noy (“The Dark Knight Rises”) serving as executive producers.

Eight-time Academy Award-winning composer Alan Menken (“Beauty and the Beast,” “The Little Mermaid”) provides the score, which includes new recordings of the original songs written by Menken and Oscar-winning lyricists Howard Ashman (“Little Shop of Horrors”) and Tim Rice (“The Lion King”) as well as two new songs written by Menken and Oscar and Tony Award-winning songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (“La La Land,” “Dear Evan Hansen”).
Source: http://www.philstar.com/entertainment/2 ... rst-selfie

Source: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/09/06 ... st-selfie/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Although unlikely, I hope they fit Jasmine's "To Be Free" song into the film somewhere. Curious as to who will be featured in the two new songs. I'm guessing Jafar will get one and Jasmine the other.

Does anyone know if Iago, Abu, and/or Rajah are in the film?
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Although unlikely, I hope they fit Jasmine's "To Be Free" song into the film somewhere. Curious as to who will be featured in the two new songs. I'm guessing Jafar will get one and Jasmine the other.
If they aren't including Proud of Your Boy, I'd much prefer a solo for Aladdin instead of Jafar.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Does anyone know if Iago, Abu, and/or Rajah are in the film?
We don't know yet but it seems that the role of Iago will be taken by Hakim.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea, JeanGreyForever, I was thinking Jasmine and Jafar would get songs. But I think I would prefer Aladdin getting his own song that isn't "One Jump Ahead". You know, I thought Belle in Beauty and the Beast should have gotten her own solo, that isn't half sung by everybody else in her town.

I also think Hakim will be taking Iago's role, Sotiris.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I've been assuming that Proud of Your Boy is a given and would be automatically included in the movie from the start. Menken has a lot of love for it so I'm sure he would fight to include it in the film.

If Jafar does get a brand-new villain song, I wonder how many songs he'll have in total in the entire Disney canon. He's got at least three deleted songs from the film, one (maybe two?) songs from the Broadway musical, and then maybe a new one here. And that's not even including the Prince Ali (Reprise).

I hope Hakim isn't replacing Iago. I thought he would just take the role of palace guard like Rasoul from the original film but I didn't imagine him becoming Jafar's sidekick. Iago is a huge part of the original film and I would hate to see this film without it. Even the Broadway musical at least kept him over Abu and Rajah (both of whom I want to see as well). If they can do full CGI films like The Jungle Book and The Lion King, then there is no excuse to not include the animal characters in Aladdin. Especially after Beauty and the Beast basically kept all the major characters from the original film. I realize that the director of Aladdin wants to take it in a different direction but half of why Beauty and the Beast did so well was because it was faithful to the original (and still not faithful enough for me) so I hope Aladdin (and The Little Mermaid eventually) follow.
Last edited by JeanGreyForever on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage