Ralph Breaks the Internet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Wreck-It Ralph 2

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Analysis wrote:Thank to you to take the time to read my comment ! That was not the case of the 2013 blog... I understand, everybody is sometime lazy - Flash effect ^^ and Thank you for the change, really !! Best wishes for your continuation ! :wink:
Thankyou, likewise.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Okay, this scene is sounding out of place for Wreck it Ralph 2. Honestly a bit jarring. I like that for the first time a bunch of the Disney Princesses and their voice actresses who are still living are coming together in a scene like this, but I'm not sure this is for Wreck it Ralph 2. Also, did I read that right, that Ralph goes to Ohmydisney.com and that this is where that scene takes place?! I've heard of product placement within a film, but this is like taking out the middle man to promote their own product, The Disney Princess Franchise... I am just, okay.
I understand your and many of the other users' sentiments here. However, I'm hoping the scene will generate so many ecstatic giggles as to render the product placement forgivable, or maybe even ... *ulp*, justified. :mischief:

Also, I keep reminding myself that Rich Moore is really good and surely must know what he's doing. Am I being too optimistic?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

As long as it's funnier and better implemented than The Emoji Movie, which literally stops the plot for five minutes so they can advertise Candy Crush, I'm fine with the Disney Princess scene based on the description.

Honestly, Moore and Johnston are probably watching The Emoji Movie right now and taking notes on what they shouldn't do on Wreck-It Ralph 2.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

estefan wrote:As long as it's funnier and better implemented than The Emoji Movie, which literally stops the plot for five minutes so they can advertise Candy Crush, I'm fine with the Disney Princess scene based on the description.

Honestly, Moore and Johnston are probably watching The Emoji Movie right now and taking notes on what they shouldn't do on Wreck-It Ralph 2.

Yeah, like it's only one scene (I have a feeling they will have an extra scene or two) out of a hour and half movie. It's going to be fine. They could easily screw up though if they are trying to be too hip and cool and outdated in 10 years (I hate the name Yasss for example), and like you said, they should study the Emoji movie, so they can't bomb the movie. There should be a lot of test screenings with audience to see what works or not. Bc I am honestly worried about the movie. The creativity, brilliant twists (the unexpected Disney scenes), and humor of the first one are still there, but will they try TOO hard to capture today's Internet?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

estefan wrote:Honestly, Moore and Johnston are probably watching The Emoji Movie right now and taking notes on what they shouldn't do on Wreck-It Ralph 2.
Spot on! :D

Estefan, I need you to marry me. I can totally imagine you as a beacon of hope in real life the same way you are here on UD. I mean, I've lost count of the number of times I was lurking in a clinical depression-inducing WDAS-centric thread fit to burst with premature criticism and complaints only for you to blow away all the negativity with your cool-as-a-cucumber statements ... and specially-designed typographic nullification rifle-gun-weapon-thingy you fondly refer to as "Common Sense".

I'm a fan. :thumb:

Now I wonder whether I should start a new thread titled "The Things You Actually LIKE In the Lasseter-era WDAS films." :scratch:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we should give Lasseter a free pass - I do not like the way he runs either WDAS or Pixar. However, the forum has made me weary as of late (i.e. the last three or four years.) What happened to the fun, lightweight, jovial silliness we all used to partake in? Do you guys remember when we actually made jokes and when the UD boards were a hoot to read? Jeez, we even had our own private memes! Remember the stupid MS Painted movie posters and the "You don't Understand - Marky" t-shirts (poor guy, do you think we teased him a little in excess? :mischief: ) and the Milk Buds and the Avatar Wars (c. 2007) and the ... Wondrously Evil Multi-Coloured UD-Approved Lollipop? :P

Aah ... nostalgia. :)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^ :?
I wasnt around back then...

I think the board is fine. I think there should be at least one critical Disney board out there.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I agree, Jules. This board is so negative about literally every single thing that Lasseter is making. I know people have opinions and some are good reasons, but it seems like the mindset of UD now is if it's CGI/produced by Lasseter/not written by Alan Mencken, boom, it's immediately terrible!
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

estefan wrote:As long as it's funnier and better implemented than The Emoji Movie, which literally stops the plot for five minutes so they can advertise Candy Crush, I'm fine with the Disney Princess scene based on the description.

I thought that movie would be right up your alley. :D
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Jules wrote:
estefan wrote:Honestly, Moore and Johnston are probably watching The Emoji Movie right now and taking notes on what they shouldn't do on Wreck-It Ralph 2.
Spot on! :D

Estefan, I need you to marry me. I can totally imagine you as a beacon of hope in real life the same way you are here on UD. I mean, I've lost count of the number of times I was lurking in a clinical depression-inducing WDAS-centric thread fit to burst with premature criticism and complaints only for you to blow away all the negativity with your cool-as-a-cucumber statements ... and specially-designed typographic nullification rifle-gun-weapon-thingy you fondly refer to as "Common Sense".

I'm a fan. :thumb:

Now I wonder whether I should start a new thread titled "The Things You Actually LIKE In the Lasseter-era WDAS films." :scratch:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we should give Lasseter a free pass - I do not like the way he runs either WDAS or Pixar. However, the forum has made me weary as of late (i.e. the last three or four years.) What happened to the fun, lightweight, jovial silliness we all used to partake in? Do you guys remember when we actually made jokes and when the UD boards were a hoot to read? Jeez, we even had our own private memes! Remember the stupid MS Painted movie posters and the "You don't Understand - Marky" t-shirts (poor guy, do you think we teased him a little in excess? :mischief: ) and the Milk Buds and the Avatar Wars (c. 2007) and the ... Wondrously Evil Multi-Coloured UD-Approved Lollipop? :P

Aah ... nostalgia. :)

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

unprincess wrote:I think the board is fine. I think there should be at least one critical Disney board out there.
Yes, and that's ok. :) I actually remember joining this board in 2006 with the specific intention to talk and talk and talk and over-analyse to my heart's content, as I had no real-life friends to discuss animation with. (Loomis suggested I have a tea party with a collection of stuffed animals as an alternative way to rectify that problem.) I appreciate the in-depth criticism of the recent animated films to emerge from Disney Animation, but I think our discussions would benefit from an injection of humour.
disneyprincess11 wrote:I know people have opinions and some are good reasons, but it seems like the mindset of UD now is if it's CGI/produced by Lasseter/not written by Alan Mencken, boom, it's immediately terrible!
As ... imperfect as Lasseter's regime is ( :lol: ) I like to stay open-minded about the films coming out of WDAS. Remember, he may the boss, but there are hundreds of artists working at lower levels. Surely, all their artistic and story-sense cannot be completely repressed by one ogre at the top.

Hope Lasseter doesn't see this, lol, or he might try to influence Bob Iger to purchase DVDizzy next to shut us all up.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

that's what worries me, so many boards(I mean boards like this, not those crappy social media things were people leave drive-by comments) these days end up bought by the studios/companies and just become shills where they moderate everything or remove the forums entirely. I love that this board (and Carton Brew when it comes to animation in general) allows true criticism of the studios and their films especially with Disney being so dominant & powerful now in the animation world(and just scary powerful in general!), I feel its really necessary.

I do agree that there's nothing wrong with more lighthearted threads, which seem to have become scarcer since I joined. You know, stuff like who's your favorite princess, villain, why do people hate blank so much, who's your favorite Disney sidekick, prince etc...fluffy stuff like that.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

But butbutbut...Oh My Disney is the greatest site ever! They can't be wrong! :shock:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Jules wrote:Hope Lasseter doesn't see this, lol, or he might try to influence Bob Iger to purchase DVDizzy next to shut us all up.
Wait, what?! He actually did that?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I agree, Jules. This board is so negative about literally every single thing that Lasseter is making. I know people have opinions and some are good reasons, but it seems like the mindset of UD now is if it's CGI/produced by Lasseter/not written by Alan Mencken, boom, it's immediately terrible!
You're right about the first two, but the third? Nope. The only example I can think of is hatred for Randy Newman's music, but that's entirely justified and has nothing to do with Menken, imo.

The few things I'm positive about (TP&TF/Frozen/the Lopezes), others hate, so it all ends in a wash. I don't feel bad at all for lambasting Lasseter and his repetitive films. I wouldn't call putting blinders on and holding out hope something different might happen at this point to be common sense so much as the definition of insanity.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Can someone please explain to me why Cars 3 was made? And please don't say "Merchandise". This is a new low, even for Pixar :facepalm: And some wonder why we criticize Pixar.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It's not much of a secret how much Lasseter loves the Cars films and how personal they are to him. With that said, Cars 3 does look like it will end up losing money at the box-office, which will definitely lead to the franchise ending here. Which I'm fine with. Lightning McQueen's story is finished in my eyes. We've seen his entire racing career from rookie to veteran.
Jules wrote:I can totally imagine you as a beacon of hope in real life the same way you are here on UD. I mean, I've lost count of the number of times I was lurking in a clinical depression-inducing WDAS-centric thread fit to burst with premature criticism and complaints only for you to blow away all the negativity with your cool-as-a-cucumber statements ... and specially-designed typographic nullification rifle-gun-weapon-thingy you fondly refer to as "Common Sense".
I'm an optimist and I don't like to bring out the criticisms until I see the finished film. I can't judge things out of context and I need to see the entire movie from start to finish. I do like the work that comes out of WDAS these years and while I think some things could be done differently at the studio (less road trip plots, for one. An actual attempt to bring back hand-drawn animation, certainly. I re-watched Lilo & Stitch last week and it's one of my favourite Disney films, but it struck me that film would never be made under the current regime), I don't have that many issues with how John Lasseter is running the show and I don't hold the hatedom towards him that others do. I'm always optimist and excited for what their next project is.

And believe it or not, I was genuinely looking forward to The Emoji Movie. I thought the concept had potential to be creative and go in some clever directions. And I do like a lot of the output that comes out of Sony Pictures Animation. The film didn't work sadly, but I'm still glad I gave the film a look and I think there were certainly plenty of tweaks and adjustments that could have been made to produce a more satisfying movie. I imagine Wreck-It Ralph 2 will be doing a lot of those tweaks and adjustments that The Emoji Movie didn't have time to do during its two-year(!) production.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Yeah, they're def trying to avoid being like Emoji Movie

https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/ ... 9372032001
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Yeah, they're def trying to avoid being like Emoji Movie

https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/ ... 9372032001
Emoji was done on only a $50 million budget. May turn a nice little profit when all's said and done.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

:lol: Nice find, DisneyEra!
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Jules wrote::lol: Nice find, DisneyEra!
I didn't find it, Disneyprincess11 did, I just copy/posted the tweet here :P