Toy Story trivia

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Toy Story trivia

Post by Disneyphile »

This is something arbitrary that I thought of earlier today. Almost everyone who owns toys in the Toy Story movies has a name that ends with an "ee" sound. Andy, Molly, Emily, Amy ("She's an artist."), Daisy and Bonnie. The only exceptions are Sid and Hannah. Did anyone else notice that?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Toy Story trivia

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Andy’s Friends From "Toy Story" Share His Face And It’s Terrifying
https://www.buzzfeed.com/christianzamor ... rdlPgqEWRm
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disneyphile wrote:This is something arbitrary that I thought of earlier today. Almost everyone who owns toys in the Toy Story movies has a name that ends with an "ee" sound. Andy, Molly, Emily, Amy ("She's an artist."), Daisy and Bonnie. The only exceptions are Sid and Hannah. Did anyone else notice that?
Never thought about that before. Wow!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

The Untold Story Behind 'Toy Story': Andy's Dad, an Emotional History & Much More
http://www.pixarpost.com/2017/06/toy-story-0.html

Worn Out Woody Doll Gets Place of Honor at Pixar
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles ... nor-pixar/
Awww.
blackcauldron85

Vjral ‘Toy Story’ Origin Tale Debunked By Pixar Exec: No Polio For Andy’s Dad
http://deadline.com/2017/06/toy-story-a ... 202119576/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Polio? Bizarre.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Vjral ‘Toy Story’ Origin Tale Debunked By Pixar Exec: No Polio For Andy’s Dad
http://deadline.com/2017/06/toy-story-a ... 202119576/
This is the trouble I'm having with Stanton's response, and that is that outside of calling it "fake news," he gives no alternative for it. He could go into a different history for Andy's dad or he could even just keep it simple and say they never developed that kind of backstory at all, but he doesn't do anything besides conflicting with Mike's story. Is it not possible that both of these men could be "right?" I need to hear more from Stanton.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's possible it was Joe Ranft's own theory that he didn't share with the rest of the team. I also wonder if the studio would confirm the story, even if it was true. But, in my opinion, it's most likely false. There are many things in it that seem suspicious to me. Why would the writers elaborate a so detailed story for something that wouldn't be in the film? Why has that man waited so much to tell the story? He probably knew Joe Ranft, but saying someone who has died told him the story is a good way of not being discovered if he's lying, because that person can't refute it. And some things in his story doesn't make sense.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, Stanton has long since been revealed to be a huge tool, so I'm not surprised at his disappointing response.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, Stanton has long since been revealed to be a huge tool.
rotfl
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm far more likely to believe Stanton than some random toy guy. I tried looking up Mike Mozart's biographical information, but didn't find anything that would suggest he was a "toy consultant" on Toy Story. I think he's talking out of his butt. Why would Joe Ranft think of an elaborate back story for Andy's father and not share it with the rest of the Toy Story team? Makes no sense.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
blackcauldron85

Mike Mozart has a toy Youtube channel called Jeepers Media (I knew I knew his name from years ago, but just had to look him up).
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

My wife says it doesn't matter and outside of the studio finally stepping in, it's really whatever we each as fans want it to be.

Personally, I would give Toy Story 4 more of a chance if a cool backstory like this was part of it.

-Walt Disney
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

That backstory sounded like a really bad fanfic anyway.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Mooky wrote:That backstory sounded like a really bad fanfic anyway.
What was so bad about it? I thought it had a lot of cool ideas in it.

-Walt Disney
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

It's needlessly elaborate. You can see that whoever came up with it tried too hard to make all the pieces fit with the established continuity at the expense of common sense and Pixar's own sensibilities. That's why you get "gems" like toys being burned/killed because of polio (too dark for early Pixar), Andy's dad also being named Andy and looking *just* like Andy Jr. to explain the signature on Woody's boot and why the toys don't recognize their owner is a different person (who do they think Molly is then or does that mean Andy Jr.'s mom looked exactly like Andy Sr.'s mom?) or that Andy's father went to school with *and* was bullied by Al from Al's Toy Barn (a character that didn't even exist back when the original Toy Story was being developed).

A more effective and believable backstory would have been something simpler, not something convoluted like that.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Mooky wrote:That's why you get "gems" like toys being burned/killed because of polio (too dark for early Pixar)
You mean like they almost were in Toy Story 3?

-Walt Disney
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Yes, but that's why I said 'early Pixar'. Pixar from 2010 was not the same Pixar from 1995. I seriously doubt Al the bully and polio incinerators were ever even mentioned during the development of Toy Story as this theory claims.