Aladdin Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Pinocchio Drowns?

Post by Disney Duster »

Goliath wrote:
Rudy Matt wrote:Because Pinocchio doesn't drown -- he's killed by Monstro when the whale hurls its bulk into him. Gepetto survives the impact, but Pinocchio is killed.
That's not my interpretation of the film. I've read this question from Disney fans over and over again, so I'm not alone in thinking Pinocchio (nearly) drowns.
I don't think it makes sense for him to drown. I thought he was smashed into rocks or hit by the whale himself.
ajmrowland wrote:Uh, Pinoccio's wooden. He could get splinters and not feel a thing.
Well, that's not true. If it was, he couldn't cry either, because he's wood. Pinocchio is able to feel pain and lose the life that the Blue Fairy gave him. If you must, consider the Matrix, how you're mind thinks you died, so you do. But I doubt that's near enough the same thing. But it doesn't matter. He was magically brought to life, we don't know the rule the Fairy set for how he could die.

But think about it. There's a difference between swimming underwater and getting thrown against something or having something thrown against you or crashing into something with something crashing you. It makes a lot of sense for Pinocchio to lose his living spirit because of a violent throw and hit.

And anyway, I always wondered if he was dead or unconscious. I thought Gepetto was praying that he would live, because he wasn't dead for sure. Hm, reminds me of Beauty and the Beast, we don't know if he's dead or if he will die, then he transforms...
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I agree, it doesn't make sense that he drowned I mean he's made out of a block of wood therefore he wouldn't have lungs which can't fill with water right? But smashing a wooden puppet against rocks that could kill him, never mind break him in half/pieces.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

After looking for it for years I finally got "Tales from Agrabah"!

For those unfamiliar with it, it's a prequel book to "Aladdin", telling backstories for Aladdin and Jasmine before they met. Though written with younger readers in mind, it's still a wonderful collection of seven stories even adults can enjoy. It's done with such remarkable respect for the original film: there are no discrepancies or strange personality-transplants you'd find in some of the DTV sequels. Aladdin and Jasmine are pretty much the same Aladdin and Jasmine you know from the first film. Aladdin even displays first signs of his flawed personality by contemplating what's the right thing to pursue (fame and fortune vs. simple fulfilled life). You also get first glimpses at Jasmine's yearning for seeing the world, something that foreshadows "A Whole New World" sequence and puts the ending of "The Return of Jafar" into perspective.

All in all, a fantastic read. Highly recommended for "Aladdin" fans.
IagoZazu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by IagoZazu »

If there was one villain I would like to know the backstory of, it would have to be Jafar. How he started in sorcery, found Iago, and rose to power as the sultan's vizier. The Sultan must of been pretty gullible to put him as his top advisor and trust him all those years. Jasmine must have always disliked Jafar from the very beginning, not just when she finds out he imprisoned Aladdin. It would be neat to learn how he first found out about the cave of wonders and why he wanted so badly to be sultan other than just savoring power.

Aladdin is definitely my most favorite Disney movie. It has my favorite hero, princess, and villain. I like all the characters and "A Whole New World" is probably my favorite Disney song. I love it.
Say no to moldy, disgusting crackers!
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Oooh, I'd love to know Jafar's backstory too. And Iago's. I want to know if Jafar bought Iago in some import shop in Agrabah or Jafar found him in a wild jungle while traveling and Iago took a shine to him and decided to stay with him.
Chernabog_Rocks wrote:I agree, it doesn't make sense that he drowned I mean he's made out of a block of wood therefore he wouldn't have lungs which can't fill with water right? But smashing a wooden puppet against rocks that could kill him, never mind break him in half/pieces.
He might have a little development of lungs. Because after all he was being transformed into a flesh and blood donkey on Pleasure Island. Even though he only fled with donkey ears and a tail, they could've changed his composition so he's not entirely wood anymore, he's somewhat organic. He consists of enough wood so he can't drown while prowling on the seafloor looking for his father but being somewhat organic would make him more vulnerable to violent throws into hard surfaces.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Sky Syndrome wrote:Oooh, I'd love to know Jafar's backstory too. And Iago's. I want to know if Jafar bought Iago in some import shop in Agrabah or Jafar found him in a wild jungle while traveling and Iago took a shine to him and decided to stay with him.
Well, it depends if you see DTV's as 'canon', but in The Return of Jafar, Jafar says to Iago: "If it wasn't for me, you'd still be in a cage at the bazaar screaming 'Polly wants a cracker'!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxgHLsF2hio
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I guess some of you may be familiar with Cracked.com - they offer daily humorous articles about all sort of things, including pop culture. A few days ago, they ran this article:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19634_5- ... lucky.html

which featured this segment:
In the Disney classic of the same name, Aladdin is a street urchin who goes from stealing food in markets to hanging out with the Arabian upper class in a matter of minutes after coming across a mystical lamp.

Life has gotten a whole lot better for Aladdin, his kleptomaniac monkey and his sentient flying carpet ... until the evil Jafar steals the magic lamp and uses it to become the most powerful sorcerer in the world. While no one in the movie ever thinks to ask the genie for infinite wishes, Jafar did the next best thing -- he's so powerful that he can now do pretty much anything he wants, from teleporting Aladdin across the world to transforming himself into a giant snake.

Yet for all his power, he could not master the shirt spell.

Things seem pretty hopeless, but Aladdin has one more trick up his sleeve. When Jafar proclaims himself "the most powerful being on Earth," Aladdin taunts him by pointing out that the genie is more powerful. Jafar uses his last wish to become "an all-powerful genie" ... and becomes trapped inside a magic lamp, just as Aladdin planned.

There's only one problem with Aladdin's plan: It was a stupid plan, and it shouldn't have worked. The success of the trick relied entirely on Jafar using the exact words that, by astonishing coincidence, he ended up using. If Jafar had said "I wish to be more powerful than the genie" or "I wish to be the most powerful entity in the universe" or pretty much anything else, then the heroes' situation would have gone from hopeless to ridiculously hopeless.

And yet Aladdin is so convinced that his unlikely, misguided plan will work that he pulls an expression that can only be described as the world's first troll face.

He actually spoke in misspellings.

Or, you know, Jafar could have simply wished for the genie (aka Aladdin's friend) to kill himself in the most gruesome manner imaginable, and he would have been forced to do exactly that. Had the villain taken a moment to consider his wish, the straight-to-video sequels would have been about Jafar continuously raping the Earth for the next millennium.

That was one hell of a gamble, Aladdin.
I never gave much thought to the final battle, but this article really intrigued me and I guess it made a legitimate claim against the ending.

Your thoughts?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

The only way I can think of to refute that knock against the ending is this: maybe in Jafar's, and everyone elses mind really, there is nothing more powerful than a genie except maybe a God. I dont know, just throwing that out there.

Also, Jafar couldn't wish for the genie to kill himself, that's one of the rules, he cant kill anybody, I would assume that includes himself.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Kyle wrote:The only way I can think of to refute that knock against the ending is this: maybe in Jafar's, and everyone elses mind really, there is nothing more powerful than a genie except maybe a God. I dont know, just throwing that out there.
Abrabah worships Allah, another name for God. The Sultan saids "Praise Allah" and "Allah forbid" and Gazeem the thief said "By Allah..." in awe when the Cave of Wonders appeared.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That article is short-sighted. In fact, it even says that "no one thinks to ask for infinite wishes". If they had paid attention to the movie they would have seen that one of the rules is no wishing for more wishes.

There is a very easy and reasonable answer for why Aladdin's plan was used and why it worked. For one, it was a desperate move in the heat of the moment where Jafar himself would also be in the heat of the moment, and Aladdin specifically said "The genie" is more powerful than you, making it sound like the genie was the most powerful being on Earth. Sure, any god or God would be more powerful, but that is a divine spiritual thing and magic would not be able to turn one into something religious, if you believe in religious beings at all. Plus, Jafar is not the kind of guy who thinks things through very well. Aladdin duped him before by keeping the lamp, and if you watch Jafar is just no big thinker.

Kyle was also right about the genie not being able to kill himself. And what would be the point anyway, there would still be more powerful genies out there, that wouldn't help Jafar at all, he liked having the genie to use for wishes.
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

Who cares how it ended? It was still exciting and satisfying. The whole movie is fantastic, with a great story, entertaining and lovable characters, and exciting heartfelt scenes. All of that makes up for an ending that's "lousy" according to that person, who I think is over analyzing it. That one thing is a such small part from such a great experience.

Personally Aladdin is 1 of my top 4 animated movies and the character himself is my favorite of all time. Aladdin is definitely a great piece of cinema and truly deserves every praise it gets. The writing is fantastic and very intelligent. The songs are some of Disney's best. Animation is gorgeous.
Disney's Divinity

Re: Aladdin Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I thought this was too funny not to post it:
Almost one-third of Republican primary voters would support bombing the fictional kingdom of Agrabah, according to a report released by Public Policy Polling on Friday.

More than 530 Republican primary voters were polled this week on their support for Republican candidates and foreign policy issues including banning Muslims from entering the US, Japanese internment camps from the second world war and bombing Agrabah, the kingdom from Disney’s animated classic, Aladdin.

In its poll, Public Policy Polling asked the 532 Republicans: “Would you support or oppose bombing Agrabah?” While 57% of responders said they were not sure, 30% said they supported bombing it. Only 13% opposed it.
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... nald-trump
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re:

Post by Kyle »

Kyle wrote:Also, Jafar couldn't wish for the genie to kill himself, that's one of the rules, he cant kill anybody, I would assume that includes himself.
Well this is sad and uncomfortable to read in 2015... :(
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

Just stumbled upon this rare making-of documentary for Aladdin that was a TV-only special that aired on the Disney channel (and perhaps ABC?) I remember watching it on TV back in the day and have been trying to find it for years.

Looks like someone has finally uploaded it! Enjoy it while you can :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245250/
https://youtu.be/wH5JaYL0Cmg
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ Thanks a lot! I remember that documentary too.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I'm not trying to be condescending, but isn't that documentary the same from the Laserdisc edition?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks so, so much, rb_canadian181!!! My parents had taped The Making of TLM & B&tB for me when I was little, but not Aladdin, so I'll be watching this with fresh eyes!

*4:58pm edit*
I just finished watching it. My thoughts:

1. I know that Aladdin's pants are often referred to as Hammer Pants, but I thought it was funny that (although I guess it had to have come from) they're based on MC Hammer's pants.

2. They mentioned Robin Williams. Sigh, Disney, you knew better!!

3. I didn't know that Aladdin takes place in the 15th century. (What sets it apart from, let's say, the 14th or 16th or 17th century, though...the architecture, I would think, but I'm not familiar with the history of that region at all...)

4. They (not gave the whole thing away but) gave away the Prince Ali twist! And Jafar's plot to marry Jasmine. I know that "it's the journey, not the destination," but still- I was just shocked.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Aladdin’ Turns 25: Creators on the Real Beginning of the Disney Renaissance
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/aladd ... 202620184/
(via animated-views.com)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Aladdin’ Turns 25: Creators on the Real Beginning of the Disney Renaissance
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/aladd ... 202620184/
(via animated-views.com)
Thanks for sharing!

Here are more articles:

‘Aladdin’: 25 Things You Didn’t Know About the 1992 Animated Classic!
http://www.etonline.com/aladdin-25-thin ... ssic-91537

25 interesting facts about Disney's animated hit Aladdin
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/23/aladdin ... ated-film/

Disney's 'Aladdin': 25 magical fun facts for 25th anniversary
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dis ... 11054.html

New Aladdin actor pays tribute to original film on 25th anniversary
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/25/aladdin ... niversary/

And a couple of videos:

- 9 Things You Didn't Know About Disney's Aladdin! (The Dan Cave w/ Dan Casey)
- Watch a Disney Movie With ... Aladdin's Jonathan Freeman | Oh My Disney Show
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Didn't know that. For a company that gets boycotted so often by Christian groups, there sure are a lot of religious zealots employed there.
Tony Bancroft wrote:I remember we even had animators that were Christians that had a hard time on “Aladdin,” because the Sultan said, “Praise Allah!” instead of “Praise God!”
Source: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kateohare/ ... animators/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage