The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

Post by disneyboy20022 »

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair is in the Works!
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=109641
The C.S. Lewis Company has entered into an agreement with The Mark Gordon Company to jointly develop and produce The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair, the fourth book published in C.S. Lewis' famed fantasy series. The announcement was made today by The C.S. Lewis Company.

Mark Gordon stated, "Like many readers, both young and old, I am a huge fan of C.S. Lewis's beautiful and allegorical world of Narnia. These fantasy stories inspire real-world passion among millions of devoted fans around the world. As we prepare to bring the next book to life, we are humbled and excited to contribute to the outstanding legacy of Narnia."

Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis stated, "I have a great deal of respect for Mark Gordon's work and am confident that together we can bring the beauty and magical delight that Narnia engenders in the hearts of those who read the books to the screen in 'The Silver Chair.' I am very much looking forward to diving once more into Narnia, this time with Mark Gordon and his team."

Mark Gordon and Douglas Gresham along with Vincent Sieber, the LA based Director of The C.S. Lewis Company, will serve as producers and work with The Mark Gordon Company on developing the script. Michele Wolkoff and Sara Smith will oversee for The Mark Gordon Company.

Vincent Sieber stated, "We are very excited by this partnership and to be able to work on this movie from its earliest conception on such a collaborative basis. It gives us the opportunity to develop a script and then produce a film with some of the most talented industry professionals whilst remaining completely faithful to this much loved book.”
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Re: Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair Movie is in the w

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

A bit of a shock but an intriguing prospect to be sure. I do wonder if Will Poulter will come back and how his age might effect the film or if they will tweek the time line of the books as they have in past films. Who is going to distribute the film, as well, and will the fact that Walden Media is no longer involved prevent certain stylistic choices that were present in the Walden Media-Disney/Fox films, like when people have to be careful not to anger WB in Oz related projects. There are a LOT of questions that come along with this news but I'm excited to be sure.

-Skyler
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I'm on board as long as they keep the same cast, by which I mean Liam Neeson exclusively (ooh, and Tilda Swinton perhaps?); Eustace will probably have to be recast. With a new production company in charge I'm guessing we can expect changes to set and character designs (new Aslan design?), as well as a new musical theme and title art. It's a shame Walden Media wasn't able to renew the rights for the remaining books, I thought they did a good job with the first three films.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Mooky wrote:I'm on board as long as they keep the same cast, by which I mean Liam Neeson exclusively (ooh, and Tilda Swinton perhaps?); Eustace will probably have to be recast. With a new production company in charge I'm guessing we can expect changes to set and character designs (new Aslan design?), as well as a new musical theme and title art. It's a shame Walden Media wasn't able to renew the rights for the remaining books, I thought they did a good job with the first three films.
I'm in the same boat there. 2 1/2 years may have been much for aging, but it still kept things solid.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Mooky wrote:(ooh, and Tilda Swinton perhaps?)
NOOOOOOO!!!! The White Witch isn't in the Silver Chair, and I'm praying they don't turn the Lady of the Green Kirtle into the White Witch 2.0 with Tilda.

But, yes, this is the biggest movie news for me since LWW was announced way back when. It will very shortly consume my life. And I'm okay with that.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Linden wrote:
Mooky wrote:(ooh, and Tilda Swinton perhaps?)
NOOOOOOO!!!! The White Witch isn't in the Silver Chair, and I'm praying they don't turn the Lady of the Green Kirtle into the White Witch 2.0 with Tilda.
That's what I was hoping for - even the book isn't definite on whether TWW and TLotGK are the same/reincarnated person (some of the previous adaptations used the same actress for both), and since Tilda was a standout in each of her appearances so far, I figured it'd be nice to have her back, maybe with some prosthetics applied.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree. Tilda Swinton as the Lady of the Green Kirtle would be the only reason I'd look forward to this film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Narnia: Silver Chair franchise reboot

Post by Disneyphile »

Last we heard about The Chronicles of Narnia was in June of last year when Life of Pi and Finding Neverland scribe David Magee sent out a tweet to his private Twitter account saying that he completed a first draft of The Silver Chair after spending more than a year working on the project. It was an unofficial update, but a welcome one for fans of a franchise that seemingly expired quietly without a trace. Today, I’m happy to bring an official update on the progress of the film via producer Mark Gordon, who says Narnia is not only very much still alive, it’s experiencing a bit of a rebirth.
http://collider.com/chronicles-of-narni ... ollidersoc
Disney's Divinity

Re: Narnia: Silver Chair franchise reboot

I'm not putting any confidence in this until I see its in theaters. There are other movies I've paid attention to for years that never actually get made. Hope this one does though; Silver Chair is really the only book in the series I'd be excited to see as a film. It'd be nice to see the others become films, too, but if they didn't, I'd be okay with it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I thought it was rather sad this series didn't get finished on film. Glad to see it has another chance at finishing. Do they need the old family of brothers and sisters, though? Because they have grown up way too much now to be around the same age they were in the last movie.
Disney's Divinity

No, except for Eustace, the original characters aren't in this book. The Lady of the Green Kirtle should probably be played by Tilda Swinton. I can't remember right off, since I haven't read the book in a long time, but there is some line about how she might be the White Witch, Jadis, brought back to life somehow (though there's no confirmation of it). Either way, she's a Devil figure, and Swinton has been in every film so far.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Ok. Interesting. Thank you.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I hope this is "reboot" in the way Pirates 4 was and not the way the word is normally used. I see no reason why they need to recast at this point with maybe the exception of Eustace. The next time we'd see the Pevensies, they should be grown up.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

TriStar to Reboot The Chronicles of Narnia with The Silver Chair
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/7 ... lver-chair
"The Chronicles of Narnia" will receive new life on screen as TriStar Pictures, the literary-focused label of Sony Pictures, has teamed with The Mark Gordon Company, The C.S. Lewis Company, and Entertainment One (eOne) to continue the Narnia story in theaters with "The Silver Chair". The picture will be financed by TriStar, eOne and The Mark Gordon Company with Sony and eOne distributing the picture.

The Mark Gordon Company and The C.S. Lewis Company are jointly developing and producing the film, adapted by David Magee, the two-time Oscar-nominated screenwriter of "Life of Pi" and "Finding Neverland". Mark Gordon, C.S. Lewis’ stepson Douglas Gresham, Vincent Sieber, and Melvin Adams serve as producers.

With the move, the franchise, which has taken in nearly $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office, receives a new creative team that will tackle the continuing story with a fresh approach to capture a broad global audience.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

‘Captain America’ Director Joe Johnston Boards ‘Narnia’ Revival ‘The Silver Chair’ (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/narni ... 202399920/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Wow. I thought this franchise was buried and forgotten after the third film. But frankly I wasn't that impressed with the following Narnia films. They had their perks, but were otherwise inferior to their predecessor.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

D82 wrote:‘Captain America’ Director Joe Johnston Boards ‘Narnia’ Revival ‘The Silver Chair’ (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/narni ... 202399920/
A solid choice. I'm excited!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Joe Johnston made a video to answer fans' questions about the new film. The video has been taken down (I guess he probably said something he wasn't allowed to reveal yet), but you can still read the transcript here:

http://www.narniaweb.com/2017/05/joe-jo ... ver-chair/

I'm very happy they're continuing with the franchise, but I find it a bit sad that the actors from the first films are not going to return. I understand they have to recast Eustace, as he's too old now to reprise his role, and for this film it's not a big loss not having the rest of the original actors that appear in it, but if they do the next film, "The Horse and his Boy", it will be a real shame to not have the original cast.

I'm also surprised the director mentioned that this is the beginning of a new trilogy. Are they planning to adapt only three of the four remaining books or it's just a mistake by Joe Johnston?
Disney's Divinity

I can’t remember—it’s been a while—but when Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy appear in The Horse and His Boy, aren’t they the adult 20-or-30-somethings they are right before tumbling out the wardrobe at the end of TLTW&TW? I hope they get the original actors back for that appearance, because by the time it gets made--IF it gets made--they'll be old enough for those parts.

That's the only thing I never really liked about TCoN. I wish the protagonists were generally the same from book to book, but most of them feel disconnected from one another.

Anyway, I think it might be for the best that they re-cast Eustace. I didn't mind the actor for him in Dawn Treader, but, I don't know, he seemed more suited for comedy than the serious moments.
D82 wrote:I'm also surprised the director mentioned that this is the beginning of a new trilogy. Are they planning to adapt only three of the four remaining books or it's just a mistake by Joe Johnston?
I wonder if they might end up skipping The Horse and His Boy actually, and do TSC-TMN-TFB as a trilogy? I like TH&HB, but I always felt it was the most unrelated to everything else out of the 7 books. Or maybe they would splice together TMN and TLB together so you see the beginning and end of Narnia in one film?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I can’t remember—it’s been a while—but when Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy appear in The Horse and His Boy, aren’t they the adult 20-or-30-somethings they are right before tumbling out the wardrobe at the end of TLTW&TW? I hope they get the original actors back for that appearance, because by the time it gets made--IF it gets made--they'll be old enough for those parts.
Yes, the Pevensies are around that age in the book. I thought all the siblings were in it, but I looked it up on Wikipedia and Peter doesn't appear. I had forgotten that. While this story takes place, he was fighting giants in the north. Apart from the Pevensies, Tumnus also appears in the book.

As you said, the original actors would be perfect to play the characters now. I don't know, maybe the production companies would have to pay Disney or Walden Media for the rights of using their interpretations of the characters, and that's why they want to recast all the returning characters. But I think the film would be more successful if they brought the original actors back. I hope they realize that and change their minds about it.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I wonder if they might end up skipping The Horse and His Boy actually, and do TSC-TMN-TFB as a trilogy? I like TH&HB, but I always felt it was the most unrelated to everything else out of the 7 books. Or maybe they would splice together TMN and TLB together so you see the beginning and end of Narnia in one film?
I hope they don't skip The Horse and His Boy because it's one of my favorite books from the series. I don't know if combining two of the books could work, but if they do that, I guess the combination you mentioned is the one that would make most sense.

The film I always thought that would be the most difficult to adapt is The Last Battle. From what I remember, it was more serious than the rest and didn't have many funny characters or scenes to provide relief from the action, so it would be harder to market. Aside from that, Calormen is a not very subtle equivalent of the Islamic countries and it's not depicted in a very positive light in the book. I imagine that could be a bit controversial. The Horse and His Boy also has that issue, but to a lesser degree. That said, I don't think it's the book they're not planning to adapt, because they wouldn't deprive the franchise of its ending chapter.