Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Post by D82 »

Shanghai Disney Resort to Host the World Premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/04/26 ... -no-tales/

New TV spots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQS3mOrTy1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xfqK86t5U
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Johnny Depp Surprises Disneyland Guests Inside Pirates of the Caribbean Ride
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... bean-ride/
blackcauldron85

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales fan event at El Capitan
http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/05/09/pir ... l-capitan/
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Now that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has passed, I'm turning my attention back to Pirates of the Caribbean. I've been excited so far from what I've seen in the trailers. Anyone else planing on re-watching the first four films within the next few weeks to prepare for the new movie?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

milojthatch wrote: Anyone else planing on re-watching the first four films within the next few weeks to prepare for the new movie?
That's always my goal whenever a sequel comes out...For GotG2, though, I just watched "GotG in 5 minutes"- type Youtube videos, because I didn't allow myself enough time (and that was just for one movie!). If I plan my weekend time in advance, my goal is to watch all 4!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
milojthatch wrote: Anyone else planing on re-watching the first four films within the next few weeks to prepare for the new movie?
That's always my goal whenever a sequel comes out...For GotG2, though, I just watched "GotG in 5 minutes"- type Youtube videos, because I didn't allow myself enough time (and that was just for one movie!). If I plan my weekend time in advance, my goal is to watch all 4!
That's usually my goal with these franchise films, however some of them are starting to get long enough it's getting harder to find the time before the new entry is released.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ I understand you perfectly, milojthatch. These days, with so many sequels, prequels, etc, it's getting harder and harder. I always plan to rewatch the previous movie/movies before a sequel is released too, but I hardly ever end up doing it for that same reason. I didn't know those summary videos existed. It's not the same as watching the film, but it's quite a useful thing, actually. Next time I want to rewatch a film and I don't have time to do it, I'll watch one of those videos.

By the way, it has been confirmed that Paul McCartney has a cameo in the movie:
https://twitter.com/PaulMcCartney/statu ... 5440727041
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Hackers Holding Disney’s Latest ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ For Ransom
http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of- ... 202094203/
Disney’s upcoming Johnny Depp film Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been pilfered by ransom hackers seeking payment from the studio. The hackers have demanded an enormous amount of money be paid to Bitcoin. Disney is currently working with the FBI and will not pay.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The first reviews aren't very good: http://www.slashfilm.com/pirates-5-reviews/

Right now it only has a 33% of positive reviews at Rotten Tomatoes with 33 reviews and an average rating of 4.7/10.

By the way, producer Jerry Bruckheimer talked about the possibility of another Pirates film:
As to whether there will be a sixth “Pirates” movie, producer Jerry Bruckheimer said it’s up to the fans.

“If they show up for this one and Johnny wants to do another one and Disney wants to write a check, we’ll be there,” Bruckheimer said.
Source: http://variety.com/2017/scene/vpage/pir ... 202437180/
blackcauldron85

I accidentally bought tickets on Fandango for this *tonight* instead of tomorrow night, so I'll be seeing it at 8pm!

I've read a bunch of mixed reviews: some critics liken it to being close to CotBP, and most say it's better than OST (which I do like very much).

Very excited! I'll just be super sleepy after! We did watch all 4 POTC movies recently, which made me even more excited for the new one!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Bob Iger now says that the hacker threat was a hoax:
“To our knowledge we were not hacked,” Iger said in an interview with Yahoo Finance published Thursday. “We had a threat of a hack of a movie being stolen. We decided to take it seriously but not react in the manner in which the person who was threatening us had required.”

Iger added, “We don’t believe that it was real and nothing has happened.”
Source: http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/di ... 202444965/

Here's a new featurette:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omKYfqQ0zWE[/youtube]
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I have my tickets for Saturday morning. It's the earliest I could see it, but I want to support opening weekend.

Rotten Tomatoes has this film at 30% as of this post, but I'm not going to let that sourer me on the film. I love the first four and I didn't see anything in the trailer to dissuade me from this one. I'm sold. Hopefully enough fans are with me. I'd love to see one last film in a sixth one.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

Of course, stay for the end credits! It sets up for a 6th film! We need a 6th film!!!

I really liked the movie!! I wish there was more background information on most of the new characters, and I missed some of the characters that weren't in this one.

Besides that, I have no complaints. At World''s End is still my favorite, but I like this one very much; I liked it as much as On Stranger Tides , which I do like very much.

The new leads (Henry and Caryna [sp?]) were both very good, and if they are to be in future POTC movies, I'm for it.

My husband thought that Salazar is on par with Davy Jones; while I liked Salazar as a villain a lot, no one compares to Davy Jones for me.

If you liked the other POTC films, and not just the first (a lot of people online seem to not like the sequels?), I think you'll enjoy this one. I think that if you liked OST, you will surely really like this one.

Spoilers:

My husband didn't think that the characters acted like themselves. He said that Jack acted old and something. I told him, well, it is 10 years later, he is older. And besides one thing I mentioned below, I didn't feel that Jack was acting out of character.

When Jack traded his compass for a bottle of rum at a tavern, I was shocked and saddened. To be that desperate... I was thinking NOOOO!
That's the only thing that I questioned in regards to Jack "acting like himself."
I mean, it's not like he hadn't lost it before, but I feel like he could have traded anything else, like his (non-"magical") hat or jewelry or something. It's a valuable possession! Yay for not wanting to steal the rum, I suppose... I just felt that that was a low point for Jack, more of an alcoholic than ever.

My husband also thought that Barbossa was kind of just there, that he...I guess that he wasn't as important in this film, that he didn't do much (I disagree completely). He felt that (BIGGEST SPOILERS IN THE MOVIE- DON'T READ 'TIL YOU SEE IT!:) Barbossa didn't have to die, that Jack could have "used his pistol" to kill Salazar; I mentioned that a pistol could have been waterlogged: he said that Jack could have at least tried. I think 2 things: 1. That Barbossa felt that he hadn't done much good in life (like he was fine with dying from piracy {"a pirate's life"}, so this was his last good deed, saving his daughter. 2. It all was happening so fast, and Barbossa had the reflexes and brains to act quickly; but also, Jack wouldn't die for someone else...not yet, anyway (maybe Barbossa's actions will influence Jack down the road...who knows. I was very saddened by Barbossa's death, though-- he will be very missed [He came back from the dead once...can Calypso/that witch we learned hardly anything about in this film save him again?! Or is he gone forever?]
Oh, and where is Bootstrap Bill? Can he live with Will & family? Oh, and Paul McCartney, while not being in it long,
was funny!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney has uploaded the entire soundtrack to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -zY6JQJsOm
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Saw the film and LOVED IT! It's not as good as the first (none of the sequels are), but I still really enjoyed it. I have a theory that the odd films are the best.

I hope there is one more film, and there are threads there from the last scene from both this film and On Stranger Tides that could lead to another film, however if this is in fact the last film, I'm satisfied.
blackcauldron85 wrote: Spoilers:

My husband didn't think that the characters acted like themselves. He said that Jack acted old and something. I told him, well, it is 10 years later, he is older. And besides one thing I mentioned below, I didn't feel that Jack was acting out of character.

When Jack traded his compass for a bottle of rum at a tavern, I was shocked and saddened. To be that desperate... I was thinking NOOOO!
That's the only thing that I questioned in regards to Jack "acting like himself."
I mean, it's not like he hadn't lost it before, but I feel like he could have traded anything else, like his (non-"magical") hat or jewelry or something. It's a valuable possession! Yay for not wanting to steal the rum, I suppose... I just felt that that was a low point for Jack, more of an alcoholic than ever.

My husband also thought that Barbossa was kind of just there, that he...I guess that he wasn't as important in this film, that he didn't do much (I disagree completely). He felt that (BIGGEST SPOILERS IN THE MOVIE- DON'T READ 'TIL YOU SEE IT!:) Barbossa didn't have to die, that Jack could have "used his pistol" to kill Salazar; I mentioned that a pistol could have been waterlogged: he said that Jack could have at least tried. I think 2 things: 1. That Barbossa felt that he hadn't done much good in life (like he was fine with dying from piracy {"a pirate's life"}, so this was his last good deed, saving his daughter. 2. It all was happening so fast, and Barbossa had the reflexes and brains to act quickly; but also, Jack wouldn't die for someone else...not yet, anyway (maybe Barbossa's actions will influence Jack down the road...who knows. I was very saddened by Barbossa's death, though-- he will be very missed [He came back from the dead once...can Calypso/that witch we learned hardly anything about in this film save him again?! Or is he gone forever?]
Oh, and where is Bootstrap Bill? Can he live with Will & family? Oh, and Paul McCartney, while not being in it long,
was funny!

In response:

I felt the characters were all themselves. After re-watching the first four films, I re-read Barbosa from the first film. At the time I didn't see it, but now I don't see him as the villain of that film. In fact, I'd argue the first film had no true villain, just adversaries getting in the way of our heroes (Jack/Will/Elisabeth). Barbosa actually had/has a hero streak in him, just not as much as Jack. Ultimately, Barbosa is on Barbosa's side, whichever side that lines up with at any moment is up for grabs. However, in his final sacrifice(?), he showed his true colors as a hero.

Moving forward on that last point, did he really die? We didn't see him shot, or impaled or his body ripped to shreds. All we saw was him fall into the sea. He's probably dead, but the way they did it, I could believe he's not.

As for Jack, I think his trading his compass was in fact meant to show how far he had sunk. I'm also left wondering if that Vuu Doo doll from the last film had anything to do with that? I would think that a possible sixth film would have to deal with that and Angelica, who I feel still had some story left to tell after One Stranger Tides but was not touched on directly in Dead Men Tell No Tales, as well as the witch Shansa and maybe Davey Jones. Although on that last point, I'm still trying to figure out how Davey Jones could still be alive?

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

milojthatch wrote: In response:

Moving forward on that last point, did he really die? We didn't see him shot, or impaled or his body ripped to shreds. All we saw was him fall into the sea. He's probably dead, but the way they did it, I could believe he's not.
I sure hope that he's not. Before seeing it, my husband had said that he read an interview with Geoffrey Rush saying that it'd be his last POTC film, but I'm not sure if that's just because Barbossa "died," or that he doesn't want to play the role anymore.
milojthatch wrote:As for Jack, I think his trading his compass was in fact meant to show how far he had sunk. I'm also left wondering if that Vuu Doo doll from the last film had anything to do with that? I would think that a possible sixth film would have to deal with that and Angelica, who I feel still had some story left to tell after One Stranger Tides but was not touched on directly in Dead Men Tell No Tales
I wasn't even thinking about the Voo Doo doll, but yeah, that would make a lot of sense. I hope that we see more of Angelica -- she and Jack have so much chemistry. I'd like to see them settle down/partner up...but they have such a love/hate relationship, and they can't trust each other...Still want to see more of her, though.
milojthatch wrote:Although on that last point, I'm still trying to figure out how Davey Jones could still be alive?
I was wondering that, too, but my only thought is that it'd be Calypso's doing.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

The Box Office Report has come in, and domestically it doesn't look good for DMTNT and the PotC franchise moving forward, however it's not a full on flop (like Baywatch) and internationally it's doing very well. I'd say the verdict is still out if there is going to be another film or not, however clearly this franchise is winding down.

Box Office: ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Hooks No. 1, ‘Baywatch’ Belly Flops
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office ... 202446797/
blackcauldron85 wrote:
milojthatch wrote: In response:

I sure hope that he's not. Before seeing it, my husband had said that he read an interview with Geoffrey Rush saying that it'd be his last POTC film, but I'm not sure if that's just because Barbossa "died," or that he doesn't want to play the role anymore.
milojthatch wrote:As for Jack, I think his trading his compass was in fact meant to show how far he had sunk. I'm also left wondering if that Vuu Doo doll from the last film had anything to do with that? I would think that a possible sixth film would have to deal with that and Angelica, who I feel still had some story left to tell after One Stranger Tides but was not touched on directly in Dead Men Tell No Tales
I wasn't even thinking about the Voo Doo doll, but yeah, that would make a lot of sense. I hope that we see more of Angelica -- she and Jack have so much chemistry. I'd like to see them settle down/partner up...but they have such a love/hate relationship, and they can't trust each other...Still want to see more of her, though.
milojthatch wrote:Although on that last point, I'm still trying to figure out how Davey Jones could still be alive?
I was wondering that, too, but my only thought is that it'd be Calypso's doing.
Agreed on all points. If there is a sixth (and I'd guess for sure last one), there is still some story to mine.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

The Weird Reason Johnny Depp Nixed a Female Villain for ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 5’
http://www.slashfilm.com/pirates-5-female-villain/

No Johnny, No Jack: Producer Says 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Franchise Won't Continue Without Johnny Depp
https://moviepilot.com/p/pirates-of-the ... pp/4279338

‘Pirates 5’ Directors on the Tough Production, Their Winning Pitch, and More [Interview]
http://www.slashfilm.com/pirates-5-interview/
blackcauldron85

For lack of wanting to resurrect a really old thread, I'll post this here!

Pirates of the Caribbean [TCotBP] As Told By Emoji | Disney
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRBoONepK8o[/youtube]