Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Re: Live-Action Aladdin in Development: Thoughts?

Post by Jack Skellington »

That would be hilarious, Ames ! I'll be like in the movie for 2 seconds, probably selling watermelons or something. rotfl
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

You'd steal the show, and then get hired for more movies...?! :)
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I didn't even think about the Rock, but he would be a great choice. Maybe they feel that he's already played a magical shapeshifter in one film so another one two years later would be too much?
The fact that he starred in any recent disney movie should be enough to disqualify him if you ask me. The fact that he played a shape shifter just makes it even worse.

I would much rather will smith do it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Offered Kevin Hart Aladdin Genie Role Before Will Smith
http://movieweb.com/aladdin-disney-rema ... character/
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Anyone else find it interesting that all the suggestions so far (be it from fans or Disney) have been black? I don't care or mind, just something I noticed. Even the musical has used a black guy.

As for Kevin Hart, eh, I'd rather it not be him. I think he's a funny dude, just not right for this.

On that note, I'm curious to find out if they will color the character blue or just use the actor's race.
Last edited by Kyle on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Kyle wrote:Anyone else find it interesting that all the suggestions so far (be it from fans or Disney) have been black? I don't care or mind, just something I noticed. Even the musical has used a black guy.
I noticed that too. For Disney maybe it's their way of having a big name for that part without being accused of whitewashing. I'm talking about the film version, I don't know if that was the case with the Broadway show.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If I had to choose between Kevin Hart and Will Smith, I'd pick Will Smith. But neither of them is suitable for this role, in my opinion.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

D82 wrote:
Kyle wrote:Anyone else find it interesting that all the suggestions so far (be it from fans or Disney) have been black? I don't care or mind, just something I noticed. Even the musical has used a black guy.
I noticed that too. For Disney maybe it's their way of having a big name for that part without being accused of whitewashing. I'm talking about the film version, I don't know if that was the case with the Broadway show.
I thought it was only white washing if you change a character from its original (like scarlett johansson in ghost in the shell). Genie didn't have a race.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:If I had to choose between Kevin Hart and Will Smith, I'd pick Will Smith. But neither of them is suitable for this role, in my opinion.
Same. I don't think Kevin Hart is really funny or at least not the Genie type of funny.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Kyle wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I didn't even think about the Rock, but he would be a great choice. Maybe they feel that he's already played a magical shapeshifter in one film so another one two years later would be too much?
The fact that he starred in any recent disney movie should be enough to disqualify him if you ask me. The fact that he played a shape shifter just makes it even worse.
That doesn't seem to be a problem for Disney- in fact, they tend to do the reverse. It's almost like you can't sign onto just one project at Disney anymore, but rather you get contracted to do like 3 in a three-year span.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Did anyone complain when Josh Gad went on to play an Olafed Lefou? No? Then I see no issue with the Rock playing Genie, it could work much more than Will Smith.

I wonder how they'll do Genie though, if he's gonna be an all CGI creature or they'll just use some makeup and practical effects for the illusion.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:You'd steal the show, and then get hired for more movies...?! :)
I'll think about it lol, only if you get to audition as one of Ariel's sisters (if you still have non-red hair, since we don't want to confuse the audience :) ) :tlm:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Whether they will have the Genie be blue in the live-action version, I think they will see how good the makeup is. I can see them hiring the makeup artists who worked on Guardians of the Galaxy. I thought that film did an excellent job of giving the various aliens different skin colours and making it look natural.

As for Will Smith playing the role, I think if he played the role, he would do his own spin rather than imitating Robin Williams, which would probably be for the best. We saw how Dan Castellaneta was directed to imitate Williams's style in The Return of Jafar and the Aladdin tv series and while he is a good voice actor and certainly gave it his all, it was obvious to everyone we were just watching a substitute rather than the real deal.
Avaitor wrote:That doesn't seem to be a problem for Disney- in fact, they tend to do the reverse. It's almost like you can't sign onto just one project at Disney anymore, but rather you get contracted to do like 3 in a three-year span.
Idris Elba even voiced animals in two Disney movies that played in theatres around the same time. And then voiced another animal in Finding Dory two months later. I've joked before that it seems Elba and Luipita Nyong'o are playing Disney Bingo to see who can appear in the most Disney movies, including Marvel and Lucasfilm.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Avaitor wrote:
Kyle wrote: The fact that he starred in any recent disney movie should be enough to disqualify him if you ask me. The fact that he played a shape shifter just makes it even worse.
That doesn't seem to be a problem for Disney- in fact, they tend to do the reverse. It's almost like you can't sign onto just one project at Disney anymore, but rather you get contracted to do like 3 in a three-year span.
It's nothing new for the company either. Beyond the recent examples, think about how many Disney films had Hayley Mills, Fred MacMurray or Dean Jones in them. Tim Allen was involved with two different franchises (Santa Clause and Toy Story) and on Home Improvement at the same time. From Dorothy McGuire to Eddy Murphy, there are several examples of the same actor appearing in multiple Disney films.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

They also tried getting Will Smith for Dumbo, so there's no guarantee yet that he'll get the part, but obviously someone at Disney wants him for these live-action remakes.
blackcauldron85

Jack Skellington wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:You'd steal the show, and then get hired for more movies...?! :)
I'll think about it lol, only if you get to audition as one of Ariel's sisters (if you still have non-red hair, since we don't want to confuse the audience :) ) :tlm:
Lol. It's no longer red. But I'm pretty darn opposed to these remakes (curious about them, but opposed), so I don't know that I'd want to be a part of the live-action TLM. rotfl

(sorry for hijacking the thread, everyone-- it's been awhile since we've chatted)
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Jack Skellington wrote: I'll think about it lol, only if you get to audition as one of Ariel's sisters (if you still have non-red hair, since we don't want to confuse the audience :) ) :tlm:
Lol. It's no longer red. But I'm pretty darn opposed to these remakes (curious about them, but opposed), so I don't know that I'd want to be a part of the live-action TLM. rotfl

(sorry for hijacking the thread, everyone-- it's been awhile since we've chatted)
Sorry guys ! We haven't talked in ages and I can't PM anyone here ! So bear with me. :lol:
Amy, please feel free to PM me your Instagram name or WhatsApp (Assuming you jumped on the social technological band-wagon ! lol)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Kyle wrote:
D82 wrote: I noticed that too. For Disney maybe it's their way of having a big name for that part without being accused of whitewashing. I'm talking about the film version, I don't know if that was the case with the Broadway show.
I thought it was only white washing if you change a character from its original (like scarlett johansson in ghost in the shell). Genie didn't have a race.
OK, I guess technically it's not whitewashing. Genie is a fantastical creature, so he doesn't have to have a race. However, genies in films, including Disney’s version, tend to have Arabic features and clothes. And when you think of a genie, you usually imagine someone from that ethnicity. Just like you imagine the fairy godmother in Cinderella white, simply because it’s a European fairy tale. So, though Disney has an excuse for casting a non-Arabic star for that role, I guess some people wouldn't be happy if they cast a white actor. And, what I meant is that Disney probably thinks that casting a black actor could minimize that controversy and still allow them to have a big star for the part, because I imagine there aren't many Arabic stars in Hollywood to choose from.

And while I still think what I just said is probably the case, I think I now know where the tradition of a black genie comes from. I remembered that the genie in The Thief of Bagdad, the 1940 film, was performed by a black actor, and before Disney's Aladdin was released, he was the most iconic Genie.

Flanger-Hanger wrote:They also tried getting Will Smith for Dumbo, so there's no guarantee yet that he'll get the part, but obviously someone at Disney wants him for these live-action remakes.
He was also rumored for the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea remake before it was cancelled.

As for Dwayne Johnson, Disney may have offered him the job, but I guess he's too busy right now with other films. It was reported not long ago that he had almost 20 projects in various stages of development.
blackcauldron85

Jack Skellington wrote:Sorry guys ! We haven't talked in ages and I can't PM anyone here ! So bear with me. :lol:
Amy, please feel free to PM me your Instagram name or WhatsApp (Assuming you jumped on the social technological band-wagon ! lol)
I don't see a PM button for you, but I just emailed you at the email address I had from a long time ago...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Kyle wrote:I thought it was only white washing if you change a character from its original (like scarlett johansson in ghost in the shell). Genie didn't have a race.
Scarlett Johansson playing that character actually makes sense as the model of cybernetic human she was in the original was a European model.