Dean Wellins' Cosmic 3000

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Dean Wellins' Cosmic 3000

Post by Sotiris »

Dean Wellins: I am now in the “B” side, as Tick Tock Tale was the “A” side, of my springboard into a feature, which I'm developing right now at Disney.

Q: Is there a timetable on this project?

Dean Wellins: It looks like it’s going to be 2014-2015, depending upon how things go. So far, so good. We've got a writer, we're busy doing development artwork, we're excited. John’s excited. I've been going on research trips, actually been using a lot of Pixar guys, like Jay Ward. He has been side by side with me as we gallivant around the US looking at crazy car stuff. It’s cool. Jay Ward is John’s car guy. He’s like the guru of all things automotive. He sort of oversees the integrity of cars, like on Cars 2, all the vehicles, their names and characters. His card says “Jay Ward, all things cars.” You gotta love that job. It’s great. It’s what you love and you want to be the best at it.
Source: http://www.awn.com/articles/2d/newton-r ... page/8%2C1
Honor Hunter wrote:One other project is in development from Dean Wellins that is the other CG animated feature, it is in the formative stages as well. Again, the story is very unlike what we've seen in the past, but we will wait to see how this one evolves. It all depends on how the development process goes, but the direction that John and Ed have now plotted is far more interesting than the original line-up a few years ago.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2010/07/re ... rth-2.html
Honor Hunter wrote:If their project is not ready, then Dean Wellins' project will fill the slot. His is a story that will be very different from the mold we picture Disney animated films and this is a project that is aimed at all those boys that don't like princess movies.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2011/07/untitled-road.html
Honor Hunter wrote:But the most interesting ones are yet to come from the trailers of what Dean Wellins and Don Hall have planned. By this time WDAS will have likely rebuilt a reputation that war torn down over the late 90's/early 2000's.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2011/08/wo ... films.html
Honor Hunter wrote:Right now Dean Wellins has a genre-hybrid film that he's working on that is lined up with Bob Iger's strategy of getting more of the young male demographic to seeing Disney films (Marvel and Star Wars were bought for this purpose). But if it makes it in 2016 is entirely up to how the story is developing by then, and any trouble by Lasseter and his Story Trust would mean that another film would get called up to the slot. What other film could be next? Or if not then, which one would be the next one released for 2018?
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/06/bl ... m-hat.html
Honor Hunter wrote:Following that, if story issues are worked out Dean Wellin's teenage space race animated film will rush to the screens. Wellin's film is an unusual story that is different from most Disney Animation, just as Big Hero 6 marks a change in perception of what comes from the Mouse.
Source http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/07/cl ... ahead.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Humm, Cars? I wonder why they need to do so much research on vehicles. I know it won't be Disney's version of 'Cars' but an odd connection to make... automobile research to Cars 2.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

So are we to assume that this film will be about cars? That's not hard to believe when it has been said that the film will appeal more directly to boys.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Sotiris

Re: [WDAS] Untitled Dean Wellins Film

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:Not everything that starts out in the Hat Building always makes it out. Just ask the creators of "My Peoples", "Musicana", "Hare in My Soup" or a number of other animated films/shorts that started out blasting off the creative launch pad only to crash and burn years down the line. But when projects die at Walt Disney Animation Studios, it's more like a slow, cold, isolated death. There is usually no person to come in and tell you it's over and you're let go. The words: "You're Fired!" rarely come out of the suit that's been avoiding you. Instead, it's the loneliness of working on something that will never be seen. It's the calls that aren't returned or maybe the meetings that can never be set up. The silence of walking down the hallway after working all night trying to get the kinks out of the story you've been working on for months, or years on some projects.

Such is the case of projects that just aren't working out, or of a creative falling out with the ones above you. That appears to be the case on Dean Wellins "space race" film. It was an attempt at something daring, but each passing version of it has fallen further from its goal. While the film isn't dead, it is in the process that films go through before they fall off the chart as its creator moves on to another project or another studio. No recognizable advancement has happened on the story for some time now. It's moved further down the line as each project that is in better development moves ahead of it.

This shouldn't reflect badly on Dean. He's a great animator and compelling storyteller. Sometimes even a good idea can't find it's way out into the world. It took "The Snow Queen" many years and several directors to make to the point someone was confident enough to greenlight it for production. And even then, "Frozen" will bear little resemblance to the Hans Christian Andersen story, much less the first reels of the original animated version. Sometimes stories move beyond their creators, and their creators simply move on. There might be a story breakthrough on it. There is time with so many films already in front of it. But time isn't the main problem, story is. While the project began like "Big Hero 6" as a story unlike any typical Disney animated film, the Marvel project has moved forward; the adventurous attempt to capture Millennials with a tonal story involving science fiction and teen racing hasn't. At least not enough to advance closer to production. Several projects that were proposed after it have moved in front of it. Hopefully this race doesn't get cancelled.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/09/lost-in-space.html
Sotiris

Re: Untitled Dean Wellins Film

Post by Sotiris »

Richard Lehmann worked on the project as a CG lighter and compositor during its research and development phase while Andy Sadhwani worked on it as a technical consultant.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

and dont forget the Treasure Planet stigma. :|
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I'm not too broken up about this because the film was so far away, and we knew practically nothing about it. In any case, I'm sure its slot will be taken up by another WDAS film until 2018.

I am somewhat annoyed, though, that everything that Dean Wellins works on winds up either cancelled (Rapunzel and this Space Race Film) or unreleased (Tick Tock Tale). I've heard the guy's good. I want to see his work! I expect he's exasparated.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

[quote]...The untitled teen space race movie has been given a presumably temporary name, Galactic. Jennifer Lee is set to co-direct this one.[/quote]

Source: http://ging-ler.tumblr.com/post/7983011 ... alt-disney

Jennifer Lee did say she wanted to do sci-fi, did she not? Very happy if all of this is true.

IMPORTANT EDIT: EVERYTHING IS FALSE. DISREGARD THE ABOVE INFORMATION COMPLETELY.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Dean Wellins' Cosmic 3000

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Any updates on this movie? It's been a while and all of the unannounced movies we know about that have updates are Giants (which was announced in Korea to be in March 2018) and Wreck-It Ralph 2 (which is in development).
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I would love to know of any updates too, but if Sotiris hasn't posted, then I expect there have been no leaks.

The film's current status can be one of two things:

1. In development and ready to take the other 2018 slot after Giants, provided Wreck-It Ralph 2 doesn't nab that one.
2. Dead. Shelved. Kaput. If lucky on life support.

I am friended with Dean Wellins on Facebook. Do you suppose I could ask him, or would it be nosey of me? :oops:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This means that either the movie has been revived or that Dean Wellins is working on a different project.
Paul Briggs wrote:Actually, I’m very lucky to be working on a film with Dean Wellins right now who not only worked on The Iron Giant but is insanely talented too.
Source: http://pbcbstudios.tumblr.com/post/1125 ... d-to-be-on
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

Let's forget this thread then as it is not cosmic at all. He he... ;)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Prince Kido wrote:Let's forget this thread then as it is not cosmic at all.
That's too bad. Cosmic 3000 sounded like an interesting project. Oh, well.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Such a shame :(
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DAMN!! Would of been so great to see a Revival Feature in the vain of Treasure Planet :facepalm:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^thats also probably why it got cancelled.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

unprincess wrote:^thats also probably why it got cancelled.
And expect more of this in the years to come. A LOT more :lol: