2016 elections thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: 2016 elections thread

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Dr Frankenollie wrote:Speaking as a Brit...Bernie is wonderful. Cruz and Kasich are evil. Clinton is a different type of evil. And although his stated policies are unpleasant, I think Trump would, in a way, be preferable to Clinton.
Maybe if you don't live in the country, where you'll experience the direct effects of a Trump presidency.

I can understand why people don't like Hillary, but the idea that anyone thinks she's equally bad as or worse than Trump does not compute.
Here Here. I quite agree.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Maybe if you don't live in the country, where you'll experience the direct effects of a Trump presidency.

I can understand why people don't like Hillary, but the idea that anyone thinks she's equally bad as or worse than Trump does not compute.
Trump is effectively an isolationist on foreign policy, willing to work with the likes of Putin rather than gearing up for another Cold War - he doesn't believe in regime change and has made his condemnation of the Iraq War a hallmark of his campaign. Hillary not only voted in favour of Iraq and is married to the deeply interventionist Bill Clinton (whose presidency was particularly horrifying we not came to foreign policy, the nadir being the needless bombing of a pharmaceutical factory in Sudan), she is also widely regarded as the most neocon member of Obama's cabinet and, considering her disastrous intervention in Libya, is partly responsible for the instability that has fed into the rise of ISIS. You might not like Trump, but in terms of this pair's relative instincts and world views, I would prefer the bombastic isolationist to the warmongering power-mad Clinton.

Elsewhere, there's something to be said for Trump's desire to move away from a form of globalisation and free trade that hurts workers but rewards CEOs (the kind of post-80s economic order celebrated and framed as inevitable by the Clintons), creating a more protectionist America with tighter controls on immigration. Indeed, it has echoes of Sanders, who also wants to protect American jobs from corporations outsourcing overseas - it's eminently reasonable and the kind of policy you rarely hear in what is allegedly a democracy. It's terrific to have the frontrunner for one of the major parties challenging a faulty status quo, simply for the sake of having a proper choice at the election, not to mention representing what many aggrieved and powerless working people want.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Dr Frankenollie wrote: Trump is effectively an isolationist on foreign policy
This is out-of-tune with everything he's actually said. I don't see Clinton's support of the Iraq War 15 years ago as indicative of what she would do now. Many people agreed we should go to war after 9/11 (both political leaders and citizens); that doesn't mean those same people supported Bush's actions in general, or that those same people would agree with another war now. If anything, Hillary, like Obama, has shown that she does not want to invade countries in order to fight ISIS, like Trump has said is his intention. This has actually been a point against her by many people who think we should go to war.

Trump is not going to do anything about policies that hurt American workers. Many of his own products are made overseas. It's also worth pointing out that there is nothing trustworthy about Trump's mouth diarrhea. What he says he'll do, what he will do, and what he actually could do--they're all different things. Not to even mention nonsense he's said like how he wants to curb first amendment rights so journalists can't write things about him he doesn't like, which isn't even in the president's power to do anyway, but it says everything about him. And with the racism and misogyny being issued daily from him--like when he posted false statistics taken from a Neo-Nazi website to insinuate the majority of violence in America is perpetuated by black people when one of his rallies had Black Lives Matter protesters or when he talked about Megyn Kelly's and Hillary Clinton's periods--we can expect rights for women (and, naturally, LGBT individuals) to be further rolled back.

And this is just me, but words like power-mad and warmongering would never even enter my mind when thinking of Hillary Clinton. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Ladies and gentlemen, our next president is.... DONALD TRUMP!!!
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

I felt my sanity slip last night.

Probably because I was watching live streams for 6 hours without break.

Congratulations America, you make me resent our political system even more! :milkbuds:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I didn't realize that we had a 2016 elections thread... I've already cried 3 times. I'm terrified of World War III.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

As a Canadian, I am so sorry. I felt so helpless last night following the results live. Hillary getting the popular vote only rubbed more salt into the wound. If it weren't for this archaic electoral system then we would have been safe. After everything that Trump has said I cannot believe anyone would "trust" him more than Hillary. He doesn't "tell it like it is"; he is a businessman who has conveniently changed his opinions just to win this election. He was marketing a horrible product and misguided consumers took the bait.

Yet another countless reason why this is a terrible outcome: Canada's relationship with the USA will likely become fractured, since Justin Trudeau is absolutely nothing like Trump in either politics or demeanor, and I can't see them agreeing on anything. Trump will probably say some stupid unfiltered bull like he always does. Actually, ignore that. Any country's relationship with the USA that Obama has spent his years in office nurturing will likely become fractured, including the potentially dangerous ones. :brick:

Well, I guess it's now the perfect time to rewatch Zootopia and relisten to the Hamilton cast recording. :shifty:
blackcauldron85

This article is the author's speculation how an impending economic downturn would affect the Disney Parks:
What’s next for Disney’s domestic parks after the election
http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/11/09/wha ... -election/
Disney's Divinity

I’m not surprised. I live in rural NC in the Bible Belt. I see misogyny, racism, and homophobia regularly. What’s most terrifying is that there will be no checks or balances on Trump as president at all. All we can hope for is that a Democrat comes in 2020, but a huge amount of damage will be difficult to reverse. I’m hoping only the one Supreme Court slot is filled under Trump. Russia wins.

Hard to believe we've had two elections now in 16 years where the person who wins the popular vote loses the election. "Rigged," indeed. It would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Im so worried about whats gonna happen to Medicare, Medicaid and my disability benefits. I depend on those to live & function(my medications are so expensive)and so does my elderly mom. Im so scared. :(
Disney's Divinity

unprincess wrote:Im so worried about whats gonna happen to Medicare, Medicaid and my disability benefits. I depend on those to live & function(my medications are so expensive)and so does my elderly mom. Im so scared. :(
I'm so sorry, unprincess. :( I don't know what to say to help you feel secure. I'm so sorry.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

What an utterly horrible election. For the first time in my life my greatest fear in the entire world is my president and his supporters. They feel empowered winning an election with hate as the sole campaign tactic and who knows what they're capable of going forward. Humanity at its worst.

Hillary was relying on decent people turning out in this election, and they failed her (except in the popular vote :angry: ). She faced the biggest smear campaign I've ever seen and it worked because of rampant sexism still prevalent in our society.

I hope the damage isn't irreversible but with a radicalized Republican party's complete control of government, a possible opening for them to reshape the Supreme Court for generations, and an absolute mad man at the helm, I can't help but fear the worst :(
LADY Image CLUCK
blackcauldron85

unprincess wrote:Im so worried about whats gonna happen to Medicare, Medicaid and my disability benefits. I depend on those to live & function(my medications are so expensive)and so does my elderly mom. Im so scared. :(
:( There are no words, unprincess. This sucks and is not fair at all. I work at a medical non-profit; there are programs to help uninsured patients get medical service and medications, and I'm hoping agencies like mine will be able to step up and somehow help our patients who are being failed by the government.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I am just so sad. I feel like a zombie. What have we done? I don't even know what it means to be an American anymore. We'll have to get through this together.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

thank you all for your kind words, yeah its going to be some scary times ahead. :( I talked to my sister about my worries(I live in a small apt. with my mom adjacent to my sister's house.) She says stuff like that isnt going to happen and that Im worrying for nothing. Of course she was rooting for Trump(never mind she doesn't even bother get registered to vote). :roll: Her husband said if anything bad happens we could always count on them and theyll pay for anything we'd need. Riiiight. He says that now. Meanwhile he cant even afford any health insurance himself b/c hes self-employed. But he still thinks Trump is better than Hillary. :roll:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I'm in the same boat, I'm on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Same with medicine and stuff. However, Trump can't just walk in day 1 and say everything's gone. In Fact, Trump wants to keep parts of Obamacare intact, such as keeping kids on parents insurance til 26 years of age, and the that people would not be left out of insurance due to pre-existing conditions.

For right now, let's all chill out and relax and see what happens. Does no good to give into fear, like much of the country is in. I'm not thrilled with the outcome, but for me, If I OCD on what may happen, I find myself in a whirlwind, so for me, I am rebuking the fear, or to react to it. So for right now, I'm gonna live my life, focus on studying for college, because if I give in to fear, I won't have a successful semester. Been listening to this song from Pokemon The First Movie, thought it covered a lot of what is happening of a nation of fear and how to counteract it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DzrAbLp3WE[/youtube]
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I love the electoral college system. Our founding fathers were wise. For months the media was saying Clinton was gonna sweep the EC with over 270 and that Trump had only 1 or 2 almost impossible ways to win. No one was talking about our "archaic" system then. I voted for Clinton, but I don't want the people of CA and NY to pick our president.
Disney's Divinity

Hillary Clinton set to receive more votes than any US presidential candidate in history except Barack Obama
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 13596.html

Too bad our country doesn’t work like others where every vote matters, because a large majority wanted to prevent the national and global trainwreck that’s about to occur. The funniest part is Trump himself said he thought the Electoral College was a disaster a while back and recently said (after he’d won…) that he thought the popular vote should decide the winner. :lol: It looks more and more like Trump wanted to win, not so much to do the job. He doesn't plan to stay at the White House except 4 days during the week. The prospect of President Pence is likely—and even more terrifying than Trump himself.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you voted Clinton carolinakid.

Yes, if we have President Pence, that will be worse than Trump, so I really don't know what to do or hope for. Hoping for Clinton to step in if Pence got impeached would be impossible but I would hope for it.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Hillary Clinton set to receive more votes than any US presidential candidate in history except Barack Obama
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 13596.html
There's actually a petition on Change.com about this popular vote/ electoral vote issue -- the most popular petition that the site ever had. Basically, Clinton won over a million more votes than Trump, but because of the electoral college system those extra votes essentially don't matter.

Electoral College: Make Hillary Clinton President on December 19