American Horror Story: Apocalypse (FX) - premieres on 9/12!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: American Horror Story (FX) - Hotel premiering Oct. 7th!

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Hotel was nominated for Best Mini-Series or Television Film at the Golden Globes. Lady Gaga was nominated for Best Performance in a Miniseries or Television Film. I'm not sure about Best Show, but I'm sure Gaga will lose to either Felicity Huffman or Queen Latifah.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

After last week's forgettable episode, I'm glad to see the show pick up a little bit of steam; maybe it's because there was zero focus on Wes Bentley's character, but I felt a momentum in this episode that was nonexistent in the last episode. I'm liking Gaga more and more with each episode, so I hope the Countess isn't killed off any time soon, though I expect she probably will.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

Best episode of the season! This is definitely up there with Coven for me now. I knew as soon as the episode opened that Liz would kill the Countess--she gets revenge, yes! Loved that Donovan didn't waste any time killing Valentino and his last scene with Gaga was fantastic. I even liked what they did with Alex and John--admitting they're horrible parents and we finally get an explanation of where the daughter is. I'm surprised by how contained their story has been. I thought for sure he'd end up killing the Countess, Ramona, or someone else as one of the Commandments.

I knew we'd see Liz's son again; I just thought maybe it'd turn out to be Tristan (ew) or John. Btw, they resolved the killer vampire kids plot wonderfully. I found myself laughing so much tonight. First at Angela Basset's, "Mama smells appetizers." Then Liz and Iris killing the Countess and Donovan to whatever song that was. And finally with with Gabourey Sidibe entering the Hotel and Liz's, "Dinner is served." rotfl

I'm worried about Liz's son. I just feel like I'm waiting for the other foot to drop and he'll turn out to be a psychotic murderer or something. He said something about working for a storage company... I'm not sure, maybe a place he could get rid of bodies? Loved seeing the maid looking happy (probably at the Countess' death). But I'm guessing the Countess will return as a ghost to be with March forever considering her state of mine at the time.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I was disappointed with the past two episodes, but this episode was much better. The scenes with Liz Taylor and her son were so heartwarming. I hope that's a happy ending of the series, and that she gets out of the hotel alive. And hopefully her son isn't secretly batshit.

I think last night was Sarah Paulson's best work this season and actually, I think this is her best work as a whole since "Asylum." Even though she's connected to the whole Wes Bentley storyline which I hate, I think she'll be the one to end it all...

I think if I'd change anything this season, I'd have given Evan Peters role more screen time. I think it would have been interesting if they'd done it more like they-- March and the Countess-- were rivals, a divorced couple stuck together for all eternity and every act of evil was a way to get back at another. Maybe have Matt Bomer be in cahoots with March. Also, more Evan Peters means more Mare Winningham, which is even better in my book. She does such great work on AHS. I hope they keep bringing her back.

I was surprised by the ending, if only because, well, why kill them in the hotel? But it'll be interesting to see what the Countess will do now that she's shuffled off her mortal coil. Speaking of the dead, why haven't we seen Tristan? Technically, couldn't Liz and Tristan continue their relationship since he died in the hotel? Or are we supposed to believe he had no unfinished business...

Didn't know Gaboury Sidibe was coming back this season. Wonder if she's playing a new character or Queenie. And apparently Sarah Paulson will be back as her character from Season 1, so that's two actors doubling up this season. My secret wish is that we'll get an appearance by Constance, and if not her, at least her grandson.

With this season in progress, I'd rank them:

1. Asylum
2. Murder House
3. Hotel
4. Coven
5. Freak Show

Speaking of Freak Show, I though Ryan Murphy said he planned on bringing back some of the freaks for this season? I distinctly remember reading that he already had a role in mind for Mat Fraser, the seal boy. Kinda shitty if he doesn't make good on that. Also, Rose Siggins died this week. She played the character with no legs. Very sad. Before Freak Show, I saw her on a documentary show on Nat Geo or somewhere and it was about her family life. She had a couple of kids. May she rest in peace.
Disney's Divinity

I'd put my bets on it being Queenie. I hope Jessica Lange shows up, too.

I wondered about Tristan, but I guess the show was implying that he was finally happy for once in his life because of his tryst with Liz? I agree with you that March v. the Countess as the framework for the season would've been stronger, but then how to involve Ramona/Bassett--Liz being the one who brings her into the story instead of Donovan, maybe? No knock on Gaga, but I still felt Bassett would've been a better Countess.

re: John/Sally. I get not being excited about Bentley/John, although I feel Bentley did the best he could with a story that was drawn out too long. I'm guessing Sally will be the main focus of the last episodes. Paulson is the only one I'd say hasn't really had a bad character or performance on this show (ofc, I can't say about MH), although Cordelia would probably the weakest.

I also read something on another forum about Cate Blanchett being asked about whether or not she'd ever consider AHS, and she said yes because she'd get a chance to work with Paulson again... How amazing would it be if that ever happened?! I think I'd pass out from the excitement.
Disney's Divinity

I’m surprised the Countess was killed by John after all (considering how self-contained his story is from the other characters). When the show clued in that he was going to use somebody in the hotel for Thou shall not kill, I figured that’s why March helped Ramona, so she wouldn’t die before John could add her to the collection. I mean, everybody on this show is a murderer, so they technically fit the bill, but Ramona was more focused on murder than any of the other characters.

I have to admit Ramona’s reunion with the Countess disappointed me. I was looking forward to her demolishing Gaga.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I had simply assumed that this season would be 13 episodes, as the previous three seasons each had that number of episodes. But, I just saw a commercial for the season finale episode, looked it up, and saw that Hotel will only have 12 episodes. I wonder why?

Nevertheless, I've been enjoying this season for the most part and I can't wait to see how the season wraps up.
Disney's Divinity

I liked this last episode, but I was a little annoyed they didn't explain too much to do with John, Sally and Alek (did Alek even get a line at all the past two episodes). How did John get back into the hotel when he was shot? What or who is the drilldo person/thing, and how does March have anything to do with it or control it? What was going on with the people in the mattresses?

I liked seeing Tristan again. Odd since I hated that character at first. I'm surprised they had Sarah Paulson randomly play a psychic here when I thought Cordelia might show up to resurrect Queenie and/or banish all the spirits to the afterlife somehow. I thought it was odd the last moment was of Gaga approaching another guy. I'm glad the Countess and Liz came together at the end. Actually, I found the ghosts being a happy community unbelievable--at least, I can't really see the Swedish girls being nice to the people who tortured and killed them.

I can't believe Gaga won at the Golden Globes though. I'm one of the few who didn't mind her this season, but beating Latifah, Huffman, and Dunst (who apparently is knocking it out of the park on Fargo, which I need to check out now)?

This season wasn't perfect. Well, has there been a perfect season of this show? :lol: Asylum is probably the closest, objectively, but even it had the aliens plot. Either way, it's been my favorite after Coven, definitely.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

loved Freakshow but I thought Hotel was awful. No characters to root for. Maybe Liz and Iris but even they had no problem being cold-blooded killers.
Disney's Divinity

Was there anyone on Freak Show that wasn't a cold-blooded killer? Matt Bomer and Ma Petite, I guess? They were both dead by the end though.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah I know what you mean...maybe cold blooded killer wasn't the right term. I just found the characters in Freakshow more likable. I mean Jimmy killed that cop cause he felt threatened the sisters. I know it doesnt justify it but...those characters you can kinda understand why they did the stuff they did with how crappy they were treated. Some of them anyway. I did think the resolutions for Sally & Liz was satisfying. Sally's was downright genius, who knew the answer to her problems would end up being an i-phone?
Ive only seen Hotel & Freakshow btw so i cant comment on previous seasons.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:I liked this last episode, but I was a little annoyed they didn't explain too much to do with John, Sally and Alek (did Alek even get a line at all the past two episodes). How did John get back into the hotel when he was shot? What or who is the drilldo person/thing, and how does March have anything to do with it or control it? What was going on with the people in the mattresses?
March is the drilldo person. I know Sally put the people in the mattresses, but I don't remember why or if it was explained.
I can't believe Gaga won at the Golden Globes though. I'm one of the few who didn't mind her this season, but beating Latifah, Huffman, and Dunst (who apparently is knocking it out of the park on Fargo, which I need to check out now)?

This season wasn't perfect. Well, has there been a perfect season of this show? :lol: Asylum is probably the closest, objectively, but even it had the aliens plot. Either way, it's been my favorite after Coven, definitely.
I was very surprised by Gaga's win, too. I would've chosen Felicity Huffman or Kirsten Dunst, but I'm not in charge.

I really liked this season. It falls in the middle for me, though:

Freak Show
Murder House
Hotel
Asylum
Coven
Disney's Divinity

Re: American Horror Story (FX) - 6th season premieres on 9/1

Don't forget the show premieres tonight!

Still no information on the theme. Apparently they released a bunch of different teasers so nobody will know what's happening until the first episode premieres. The episode title is "Chapter 1."
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I'm excited for this season. I think us knowing nothing about it was a smart decision on the marketing team.

I've really enjoyed the last two seasons, so bring on season 6!
Disney's Divinity

I thought the premiere was strong. I just don’t know how they’re going to drag this out across 10-12 episodes. The haunted house stuff is so boring to me. I’ve seen it all thousands of times before. The only really interesting part of it was the concept of it being one of those stupid shows you see on Dateline or whatever that channel that’s obsessed with murder shows is called.

And I have no idea how the wife could go outside, alone, in the dark, after everything that had happened up to that point. And she was so scared she drove away at the end, but then not scared when it came to following a stranger into the woods. :lol: Dumb characters are dumb.
Disney's Divinity

I’ve caught up—well, caught up as much as I can. I have to be honest, I don’t really like this season, but it’s okay viewing when there’s nothing else on still. I thought I’d tune into the 6th episode particularly because there was talk about a huge twist changing the show and I wasn’t really…well, intrigued by this “twist”? This season has just been boring haunted house tropes—the worst and most tired kind of horror for me—and now the only thing left to look forward to is all the different ways people will die. How exciting…...

I did love the Cricket and Mott characters/scenes, and the backstory for the ghosts was somewhat interesting, but I’m not sure it was worth the rest. Evan Peters was fantastic; I wish his “actor” hadn’t died so soon.

I am only looking forward to seeing what the Witch, the Butcher, and Mott really look like. I’m guessing it’s either Kathy or the main guy’s sister who lives on—in either an asylum or prison (depending which one).
Disney's Divinity

So… I wasn’t too fond of this season, but different strokes. Did you watch this year, TheSequelofDisney? Btw, season 8’s apparently being planned as a Coven / Murder House crossover.

My ranking:

1. Coven
2. Asylum
3. Hotel
4. Freak Show
5. Murder House
6. Roanoke
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:So… I wasn’t too fond of this season, but different strokes. Did you watch this year, TheSequelofDisney? Btw, season 8’s apparently being planned as a Coven / Murder House crossover.

My ranking:

1. Coven
2. Asylum
3. Hotel
4. Freak Show
5. Murder House
6. Roanoke
I think I'm on episode six or seven of this season and I'm just not feeling it. I'll certainly finish watching the episodes, but it's by far my least favorite. Though, perhaps the few remaining episodes will change my mind, though I doubt it.
Disney's Divinity

Ryan Murphy posted a picture of a person being swarmed by bees as a clue to what the title of the new season will be (which will be officially revealed on 7/20 supposedly).

My first guess was “Mob" (human equivalent of a swarm?), because he’s said the season will focus on the craziness seen on Election Night Nov. 8, 2016 (ie, like various stories I’d read that night of a black woman being chased down a subway by a group of white men, women being grabbed by their nether regions, a gay man being smashed over the head with a wine bottle, etc.). My other thought could be “Apocalypse,” just because people have always connected the death of bees to that.

EDIT: Turns out the title is "Cult." Other news: Lena Dunham and Colton Haynes will be part of the new season, and Lady Gaga's not returning.
Disney's Divinity

Re: American Horror Story: Cult (FX) - premieres on 9/5!

I thought it was alright; I’m more interested than I was in Roanoke anyway. I hate the typical everybody-thinks-the-woman-is-crazy storyline though, and not sure how to feel about clowns… Clowns aren’t scary to me—except for Tim Curry in It. Too bad the guy from the council died, he was probably my favorite character… Ivy’s okay. I’m glad Evan Peters has a big role again.

I’ll be missing Bassett/Bates. I have a feeling they skipped because the political aspect. Hopefully they’ll come back next year.