Disney Books

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Books in 2013-2016

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, my order is: Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast. Snow White's is just the clear best. Even though I feel Snow White is not always on-model, every image is pretty gorgeous regardless. Sleeping Beauty is quite obvious too, but they just couldn't capture how lovely the film is, the characters are not always in such beautiful poses, and perhaps Snow White is just the lovelier film anyway. Cinderella's designs have always been my favorite, and to me the most beautiful, and to see them in such shading, lighting, color and detail makes me love them. The Little Mermaid has so many exciting pictures. Beauty and the Beast is pretty, but to me rather boring except for a few scenes, imagery-wise.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Interesting. :) I thought Cinderella would be second on your list.

No Sleeping Beauty book published so far has managed to reproduce the film's artistic style 100%. If Eyvind Earle is not involved, it will never be the same. But some of them, especially the "Story of" book has done a pretty good job. Snow White is indeed the most beautiful one. I love how beautiful she and the Queen look. In my opinion, she's the most beautiful Princess and the Queen the most beautiful villain, and they're the hardest ones to draw.

By the way, did you also buy the Collector's Edition of the Cinderella Cinestory Comic?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cinderella is third place to me for not having enough picture's from the main story, and having what I think are so many off-model or not well-done drawings.

I agree with you about Sleeping Beauty books. None of them capture how great the film looks.

I don't think Snow White, I hope you don't hate me for saying, is the loveliest Disney princess. For me, that would be Aurora. However, I think sometimes when Snow White is drawn, just certain shots, she does possess a beauty that no Disney female has ever had. As for the Queen, yes, she is the prettiest Disney Villain.

I would consider buying the Collector's or Retro Editions of the Cinderella Cinestory if they had new covers, but the new covers have never come and it actually says those books are still not released even though their date of release has long past. Still, I doubt I'd buy them if they just had new covers. Now, if they did a comic where every panel looked like the new, updated, more lighting and shading pictures (and every character was on-model), I would buy that so fast and love it so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so much! Lol.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I understand. :D

No, I don't hate you for thinking that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You're entitled to have your own opinion. I agree about Aurora, although she is the second loveliest Princess for me. I have always loved her design, especially her hair.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah, glad you don't hate me lol. Yes, Aurora has a great design, and most especially her hair.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I received in the mail today Charles Solomon's Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella books. I can't wait to read them. I have browsed through them both, and they have some stunning photos. They look great on the shelf next to J.B.Kaufman's two Snow White books. I also want to get Kaufman's Pinocchio book, that Nine Old Men Flipbooks set and that Disney Sketchbook.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I received in the mail today Charles Solomon's Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella books. I can't wait to read them. I have browsed through them both, and they have some stunning photos. They look great on the shelf next to J.B.Kaufman's two Snow White books. I also want to get Kaufman's Pinocchio book, that Nine Old Men Flipbooks set and that Disney Sketchbook.
I thought Charles Solomon's Sleeping Beauty book was ok but not as in-depth in the animated film as the Cinderella one. Maybe I'm biased, but it just seemed like he didn't go into the animated Sleeping Beauty or the story's origins enough to me. Those other books sound great though.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I received in the mail today Charles Solomon's Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella books. I can't wait to read them. I have browsed through them both, and they have some stunning photos. They look great on the shelf next to J.B.Kaufman's two Snow White books. I also want to get Kaufman's Pinocchio book, that Nine Old Men Flipbooks set and that Disney Sketchbook.
I thought Charles Solomon's Sleeping Beauty book was ok but not as in-depth in the animated film as the Cinderella one. Maybe I'm biased, but it just seemed like he didn't go into the animated Sleeping Beauty or the story's origins enough to me. Those other books sound great though.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yeah, I saw that in the Sleeping Beauty book that there very few pages on the movie itself. It seems that it focuses more on Maleficent. But either way, it's a wondeful book, and I'm really happy to own it. The Cinderella book is really fantastic. I love the section on last year's live action movie. The photos are exquisite.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am quite in agreement with all you said, Vlad! :)
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney Books in 2013-2017

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I see that this one is already listed in Sotiris' opening post, but I just found out about it, and WOW, this one looks simply AMAZING:

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalo ... 211968.htm

And the description seems to indicate that it is just the first volume in a series! Definitely would like to get it once it goes down (if it goes down?) in price a bit...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Just to be clear, there is a picture from the "Story of" style of illustrations of Cinderella and the Prince dancing. Two in fact. One showing their whole bodies, and one with a close-up of them from their shoulders to their heads. It's just that no picture of them dancing was in the "Story of Cinderella" book, it was in other Cinderella books that didn't have as many pages.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

question for anyone who has the Tinkerbell:An Evolution art book. Is it true that the section on Disney Fairies, the pictures are poorly reproduced and grainy?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^I don't have the book but based on these pictures they seem fine. Only one picture is pixelated.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

ok thanks! I read that complaint in one of the Amazon reviews...Ive always wanted the book but dont know if its worth buying or waiting for a better, more complete book abut Peter Pan to be made(I do like Disney Fairies though and dont mind it having a section on them). Anyway I notice there's plenty of used copies available for much cheaper so I could always just get one of those.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

ce1ticmoon wrote:I see that this one is already listed in Sotiris' opening post, but I just found out about it, and WOW, this one looks simply AMAZING:

And the description seems to indicate that it is just the first volume in a series! Definitely would like to get it once it goes down (if it goes down?) in price a bit...
Anyone ever get this one? The reviews on Amazon are great.

List price is $200, and it started off at around $150 on Amazon upon release. It's been steadily decreasing in price and it's now nearly down to $80 and I'm wondering if now is the time to bite. At this point, it doesn't seem overpriced, but it's still a pretty big investment. Decisions, decisions.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

ce1ticmoon wrote:
ce1ticmoon wrote:I see that this one is already listed in Sotiris' opening post, but I just found out about it, and WOW, this one looks simply AMAZING:

Anyone ever get this one? The reviews on Amazon are great.

List price is $200, and it started off at around $150 on Amazon upon release. It's been steadily decreasing in price and it's now nearly down to $80 and I'm wondering if now is the time to bite. At this point, it doesn't seem overpriced, but it's still a pretty big investment. Decisions, decisions.
I nearly got it when it was around $87 a few weeks back but the price has been dropping so drastically that I decided to wait it out and see if it gets even lower.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I nearly got it when it was around $87 a few weeks back but the price has been dropping so drastically that I decided to wait it out and see if it gets even lower.
It has dropped almost another $2 since my post... so I think I will wait it out a bit too. I'm just afraid that it's suddenly gonna jump back up again, lol
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Does anyone here have the new edition of Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast? If so, are there any differences compared to the original edition other than the section about the live-action version? Also, some pics of the back, spine and inside would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To answer your question, Mooky. It's essentially the same book, just with a new (black) cover and a couple of new pages with the New Fantasyland attraction and the live action remake. The rest of the pages are still there.