Do you ever reread your own posts from a few years back?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Do you ever reread your own posts from a few years back?

Post by Jules »

:facepalm: God the stuff I used to write in an attempt to be "funny". At best it was lame. At worst it was cringe-inducing. Alas it's not really practical to go through all my old posts one by one to destupidise/censor/sanitise.

Anybody identify with my calamity? :P
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Do you ever reread your own posts from a few years back?

Post by Sotiris »

Yeah, I feel the same about my old posts. But I think that's a good thing. It means you grow and evolve as a person.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Oh God, I thought I was the only one. Some of the stuff I wrote makes me look either smug or whiny or confrontational, all of which make me cringe. But, like Sotiris said, it's good to look back and see how far one has (hopefully) come.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I do from time to time. Some of it was just ludicrous, but I still stand by most of it. At least those posts provide a good chuckle.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I've done it a few times, but really, I don't think I need to check my old posts to know how bad I used to be to people, and to movies, and to the Disney essence, on this site. :P
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Sotiris wrote:Yeah, I feel the same about my old posts. But I think that's a good thing. It means you grow and evolve as a person.
TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I do from time to time. Some of it was just ludicrous, but I still stand by most of it. At least those posts provide a good chuckle.
Those two things I've underlined sum up my views. I think my overall views on life and the world haven't changed (especially from a socio-political perspective), but I realise how far my social/critical thinking skills have improved, and how I've become more culturally aware and independent. Then again, I think that would be expected, since I had just turned 16 when I joined the forum, and I turned 28 two months ago. Since then, I've finished school, worked full-time in various jobs, been to university at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, have lived in various new places (including parts of France and Germany), lost/found love, met new friends, ditched old/new friends and have been to places I'd never imagined visiting. That's all against a relatively turbulent time period with various social and technological changes. If I hadn't changed as a person, I think there'd be an issue.

Regarding my old posts, I started making very short, snappy replies (though mostly in full sentences), and went through a phase at one point of bumping old threads before it became the norm (I'm a trend-setter, it seems). I soon moved out of that phase, but some of the stuff I used to ask/discuss was just so downright random (including this post on tea drinking habits which makes me look like the ultimate British stereotype - and I've since become a huge coffee snob and hardly drink tea anymore!). Yet despite some of the cringe-worthy stuff, I kinda like my old posts. Pre-Internet, I think records of what people were thinking/doing at a given point were harder to source, but with Internet forums and social media sites, it's a far easier task. And given that I have very few RL friends who are into Disney as much as I am (aside from just liking the films), I'm glad I've been able to have an outlet of sorts. I think the reason for my weird and wonderful posts, especially in the earlier years, was probably a means of validating my likes and dislikes given that relatively few people I was associated with seemed to like some of the things I loved.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I do quite a bit, to see who I was back then, such as when I made a post about Doctor Insanity, I read on that and see how much I've changed and how much better I am from back then, not just medically but mentally.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I used to, but I don't do it as often now.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Not on this board, but I have read things I've posted on other boards in 2001. I was around 15. (I'm 28 now)
The most cringey thing about them is I constantly spelled "you" as "u" and so forth.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Yeah, on here. Mostly my various DVD/Blu-ray ideas.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Ha, I hadn't even begun puberty when I joined this forum.

I mean, yeah, I said silly stuff. I still say silly stuff. But so do other people. And frankly, people don't remember most of this stuff, anyway.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I sometimes do a search on my old posts when I need to find what my thoughts were on a film in order to assess if I still feel the same way years later. Fortunately, some thoughts change for the better. It just goes to show that Roger Ebert's old adage - which I take to heart a lot and often find myself reflecting on as I get older - still holds true, "Movies do not change [over time], but their viewers do."

Plus, it's kind of fun to revisit some of the stupid drama that happened here years ago that seemed so important at the time. Colors on Beauty and the Beast. Blu-Ray vs DVD. Hurt or Heal. What Would Walt Say Today To Things He Has No Control Over. Gives me heart palpitations now just thinking about some of them.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Occasionally. If I have the time!

When I do, what stands out the most to me is OMG, I actually had the time/energy/patience to read through threads and make coherent responses? After that, what stands out is that I could be a pretty obnoxious know-it-all. :p Then of course, I die a little inside when I realize that OMG, I actually had the time/energy/patience to read through threads and make coherent responses?!

... Wait, did I repeat myself somewhere? :eyebrow:

Generally speaking, I don't have as much time for my own personal interests anymore, including socializing about all things Disney. Hell, I haven't even been able to sit down and enjoy a full movie in the theater since Frozen, and that barely counts as I went into labor about two-thirds of the way in. Oh, and I currently live like less than 15 miles away from Disneyland and have not once had a chance to go (this is admittedly more than just a time/energy/patience issue but still).
Albert the Returned One wrote: Colors on Beauty and the Beast.
Ah, I kinda miss it, but mostly for the fun with Photoshop. :milkbuds: