Winnie the Pooh (2011)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Re: What did everyone here think of the 2011 Pooh movie?

Post by SWillie! »

Yeah, there was definitely no pop music in this movie. I felt the all the music fit the tone of the film absolutely perfectly.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

jade wrote:When TMAWP came out how many outside musicians did Disney bring in to do songs?

I'm not a fan of Zooey's voice in general which also annoyed me.
Okay so you're not a fan of her voice. That's fine.

But stylistically I think this is very much in line with Roger Miller's contributions to Robin Hood, Pearl Bailey in The Fox and The Hound or to a lesser extent Billy Joel in Oliver & Company. This is no 'popular music' in the film, it's a 'pop artist' making a well thought out contribution to the film's music.

Zooey's voice functions as simple, musical narration. The songs were sung mostly by the characters. And those were as close to the Sherman Brothers as it could get.

This is not like Rihanna's 'Shut Up and Drive' coming out of nowhere. Listen to any note by Zooey and you're transported back to the sixties. I think this was one of the more perfect things about the film. The wonderful flow from Lopez' songs, to Zooey's vocals to Jackman's score and John Cleese's narration. It was seamless.

If anything, it was simply too short a film. I mean, the length works, but they underestimate their audience. The characters are charming enough to stretch into 90 minutes. It works the way it is, but I would have welcomed a longer film.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Overall I enjoyed it, but mainly felt one more story segment would have served it well. The original film was 10 to 15 minutes longer.

Also, it annoyed me they felt the need to update Christopher Robin's eyes.

And that they replaced a few of the voice actors with more marketable 'personality' types.

Plus, if anyone remembers, I went on a compaign to "Save Lumpy" a few years ago, hoping the purple heffalump would return for this film. I am bitter my petitioning failed. :angry: rotfl
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Post by Sotiris »

It's now been confirmed that Winnie the Pooh was imposed to the studio by the company as previously speculated.
Q: You got to work on the latest Winnie the Pooh film in 2011. You co-directed this with Don Hall. With this project, what was the original pitch?

Stephen Anderson: Basically, John Lasseter called Don Hall and myself into his office and said "Hey, the company really wants to bring Winnie the Pooh back in a big way and they want to kick off with a movie here in animation. A hand-drawn Winnie the Pooh movie. What do you think?"

We were both really psyched about doing that. The idea was 'let's return Winnie the Pooh back to his roots'. Half of that being his A.A. Milne roots from the books and the other half being his Disney animation roots. But then 'let's also try to find a way to make it contemporary'.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb4LYjOUM24
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Not surprised.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Don Hall in a recent Winnie the Pooh screening told a contradicting story as to how the feature came to be. Disney can't keep their story straight. :lol:
Mattinson, the last animator working at Disney to have worked with Walt and who worked on the original The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, was working on a sketch that was related Winnie the Pooh. Hall and a couple of other animators were so in love with his sketch that they encouraged him to draw a storyboard. Mattinson obliged and pitched a storyboard to Lasseter involving Eeyore losing his tail and the gang trying to find a replacement. They hoped Lasseter would like enough that it would get greenlight as a short or maybe even a TV special, but Lasseter ended the meeting with one simple question: “Can you give us a feature?” That, said Hall, was how Winnie the Pooh got started.
Source: http://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles ... -no-fluff/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Releases Free New Winnie the Pooh Story to Celebrate 90th Birthday
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-win ... -90-86537/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Learn to sketch willy, nilly, silly old Winnie the Pooh with Disney Animator Mark Henn, in honor of the 2011 film’s 5th anniversary
https://www.facebook.com/Disney/videos/ ... =2&theater
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I can't believe it's been five years since then. So much has changed, but it still feels like only yesterday when I had to choose between using my precious part-time-job-mininum-wage for either Harry Potter or Winnie the Pooh (sorry Disney, but I had no clue that was such a studio-altering decision).

There are times when I almost regret that this movie was made (I mean, Princess and the Frog alone sold pretty well all things considered, so they should have used the momentum off of that and Tangled for another hand-drawn film that was easier to market than WtP), but then I remember how wonderful and sweet of a little film it truly is. Even though it was made past my childhood. it still somehow feels nostalgic. It was amazing for Disney to make something like that in such a competitive animation market that relies so heavily on modern trends.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I couldnt watch the whole thing b/c I dont have a FB account... I wonder if theyre just trying to keep the hand-drawn animators busy with all these vids...
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Tangled wrote:I can't believe it's been five years since then. So much has changed
Me neither. It's incredible. And unfortunately some things haven't changed for the better (as the demise of hand drawn).
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote:I couldnt watch the whole thing b/c I dont have a FB account... I wonder if theyre just trying to keep the hand-drawn animators busy with all these vids...
I don’t have a Facebook account either and I could watch it, but maybe access to Facebook is not the same in all the countries. In my case, I can’t comment on Facebook or click the like button, for example, without an account, but I can see all the content there. The only annoying thing is that when I scroll down, a message always appears inviting me to log in, but I can skip it by clicking “not now” and I can continue browsing that Facebook page.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^its the same for me. I can usually look at content on FB but for some reason I couldnt watch the whole vid. I was able to watch a bit more today but I keep getting that white pop up notice over the whole page telling me to join FB. :|
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Now that you mention it, I’ve also gotten that notice in the past, but I don’t remember what I did to solve that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

When i said i want to see this many acted surprised and sad thing lik surely you won''t enjoy suc a litte kids movie or are arn't you too old for rhis movie

Also Pooh hade very good swedsih voice that sound like holloway/Cummings. But he go raplaced in this movie wich angred swedsih pooh fans. He passed away 3 years later. He also voiced Slinky Dog in Toy Story 2 and 3.

And the Jeb the goat in Home on The Range.

Many in sewden think Poch ccurenntly lacks a good voice.

Also fun fact i saw the Swedish voice of Tigger on stage playing professor Higgins in My Fair Lady in Stockholm.

My Fair Lady is a great musical by the way !
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The original title for the film was going to be "Winnie the Pooh and the Day in Which Many Things Happened." Although long, I much prefer it to the generic "Winnie the Pooh."

A few early posters with the original title by Paul Felix.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBxiHvKDpmN/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBxiHvKDpmN/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCG8TGrD53c/

Crew T-shirt.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CY42UgQvbnW/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CY42UgQvbnW/

There was going to be a song sequence called "Have You Met Small?" that got deleted. Why isn't this on the Blu-ray? :glare:
During the development of the Winnie the Pooh movie 2011 we explored the idea of searching for a character named 'Small'. A beetle from Milne’s writings. A fantasy song sequence was considered where Pooh and gang were shrunk to insect size.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7BosU3DiXR/
Here is a panel from a deleted song from 'Winnie the Pooh' called 'Have You Met Small?' Rabbit’s intro to Pooh of his best friend Small, the beetle.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-aBAhNj8yI/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^I am loving all of that. The posters and name are super-cute, and aww Small! I definitely would have loved to have an additional song.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I prefer that title as well.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"