Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.

Which version of Cinderella do you think is best?

Walt Disney's Cinderella (1950)
41%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
5%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
5%
The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5%
Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
No votes
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
14%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1997)
5%
Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
27%
ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Post by Disney Duster »

I put this thread in Movies, Music, & TV because this is about filmed versions of Cinderella.

This thread has a simple goal: rate the filmed versions of Cinderella you've seen, objectively, and then what are your favorites.

As a gigantic, obsessed fan of the Cinderella fairy tale, I have seen and at least somewhat loved almost every version of Cinderella out there. I read that Cinderella is the most filmed story in the world, and then maybe Dracula right behind it. But a lot of those Cinderella re-tellings really aren’t Cinderella, but instead modern and magicless versions that just deal with the basic idea of a “Cinderella story”. So I decided to make a list of the notable versions of Cinderella that really are supposed to be that story, and rate them. It was fun for me. If you would like to do the same, or just discuss this, I would love that. Well, have fun, whatever you do with this thread. :) You can even add movies you’ve seen that I haven’t listed. For instance, I haven’t seen The Glass Slipper or If the Shoe Fits.

I have realized that the essence of the Cinderella fairy tale is rising from the very bottom to the very top, feeling terrible to then feeling like you matter, being loved even if you are or were or appear to be a dirty servant, and sometimes, getting saved from something terrible by true love. I don’t think it’s sexist. I’m a guy. A gay guy, but a guy, and I would love to be saved by someone who truly loves and cares for me.

Here’s my objective list:

1. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
Why: To put it simply, because the story is told simply, told well, and because of the acting, most especially Lesley Ann Warren’s fantastic acting. I think that both her and Ilene Woods do perfect Cinderellas, but Lesley Ann Warren’s is, objectively, the most endearing and heartwarming. She is so full of LIFE. Ilene Wood’s Cinderella is softer, and classier, which is why she is my favorite Cinderella. She’s also the warmest, to me. But objectively, Lesley Ann Warren is full of such joy and wonder and innocence and naiveté and sadness and charm and even complexity (Ilene Woods is complex, though, too, in different ways), that she gives the best performance of Cinderella. She is the dearest. She makes you feel so much love for her and heartache for her. The Fairy Godmother, Stepmother, and stepsisters, are as good, too. The stepmother is quite scary. And the queen is good. The only ones I don’t find that good are the king and the prince. I feel they could have gave more, especially the prince since he must be a match for Cinderella. It even has a great line by the Fairy Godmother about how wishes can come true if you have someone who loves you. That is a wonderful thing, to see someone who needs it get help from love, and sometimes it happens in real life, too. When I was younger I found Lesley’s Cinderella to cry too much and be too weak, which is why I prefer Ilene Woods’ stronger character, but there’s some instances where Lesley’s character overcomes her weakness to strongly defy her stepmother and help the prince, so that is strength, too. Plus, you get why she takes what she does from her stepfamily, and requires love to save her, because she is such a delicate and meek girl, “as meek as a mouse”, as the lyrics say. And the prince very clearly loves Cinderella for her kindness and goodness and character instead of how pretty she is, because he doesn’t fall for her right away when he sees her as a servant, and doesn’t recognize her when he sees her again as a servant. It is her actions and his remembering of what she was like at the ball that makes him love her. Though I must admit I find the prince a bit of a jerk to the stepsisters, rejecting them not just because they aren’t right for him but also adding their eye-batting and knee-creaking which he shouldn’t count because those are things they can’t help nor have any bearing on who they are. He should only dismiss them because of what they do on purpose and in personality. Anyway, the basic concepts of the costumes, the coach, the sets, and basically all the imagery is beautiful, but I must admit the executed look of the production is poor and cheap-looking. But none of that matters. I find this version has the best songs (except I wish they wrote an original “I want” song for both Cinderella and the Prince instead of the Prince having “Loneliness of Evening”, because as much as I like that song, I feel all the songs should be native to this version of Cinderella and the original production), and the best actors, so that trumps the poor costumes and poor scenery. Also, I think the stepsisters, great actors as they are, should be closer to Cinderella’s age (Lesley Ann Warren was incredibly only 18 when this was filmed!). Aside from all that, this truly is, as I read one reviewer say, THE Cinderella. It is a masterpiece.

2. Walt Disney’s Cinderella (1950)
Why: You may not be surprised I chose my favorite film to be second, but it surprised me, because the Kenneth Branagh film is better made – except for one thing. When I watched Kenneth Branagh’s film, I felt it was all so great, but something was missing. And in the Walt Disney film I found it – a heart and charm that was captured. Ilene Woods’ performance I just find more beloving and charming than Lily James’s performance. Ilene Woods is so warm, caring, sweet, soothing and lovely, while also having the strength and spunk and some intelligence, humor, sarcasm, and playfulness that brings complexity to her Cinderella. She even stands up to her stepfamily that she has every right to go to the ball, and in the end, she thinks of Bruno and the other slipper and assists herself in achieving her dream and getting her happy ending (and do some degree, I must credit that Leslie Ann Warren does, too). I only wish that when Cinderella gets mad, that she lets her anger out more. It sounds like she’s not being truly mad as she would be, but that’s it. Plus this Cinderella has the hobby of sewing – even if it seems mostly for animals! And here Cinderella’s romance with the Prince is dearer. Sure, it’s less developed, but they speak so dearly to each other and their love reaches deep, high, magical heights in “So This is Love”. The stepmother is also the best and scariest. And the Fairy Godmother is the most grandmotherly and loveable, gently making everything alright for Cinderella. Once again, it is great seeing someone who needs, and deserves, help, get it from love. There is more power in Cinderella having a dream that she then has faith in to make come true, and there is more sadness when bad things happen to her. This film brings more pathos and drama, I find. The design is absolutely perfect, with extravagant ball gowns that evoke both the 18th and 19th centuries, Cinderella’s being the best one I have ever seen, with poofy material at her hips parting for three perfect pleats in her skirt and dainty wing-like poofy sleeves, as well as an up-do that evokes a crown, a beautiful, unique looking coach, an astoundingly large, fantasy castle looming over the clouds, with a gorgeous, equally astounding interior, and animation that is truly breathtaking, especially, of course, any scenes with my favorite special effect ever, Disney dust! Cinderella’s transformation in this film is the most gorgeous, magical, cool, perfect one to me. The stepsisters are hilarious and actually kind of adorable, but they even are almost as scary as their mother when they rip Cinderella’s gown. The mice are cute, though they take up way too much time, as does Lucifer, but I love Lucifer’s character, so if he and the mice just backed off a bit, it would be perfect. Yes, with a little less animals, a little more of Cinderella and the Prince, and perhaps more devotion to the romance and to Cinderella helping herself get her happiness, this film would be perfect. I feel this film, especially this Cinderella character, has more heart than Kenneth Branagh’s, but that one still has heart, and the animals and even the King and Duke in this Walt Disney version take away too much from the characters of Cinderella, the Prince, and their romance. And some of those animal scenes are boring. But this film, as it is, is still a masterpiece. To me, this is THE Cinderella.

3. Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
Why: It was hard for me to pick this as third, but how could Kenneth Branagh’s excellently directed, designed, and acted dramatic retelling with fantastic production values and heart not be near the top of this list? I once even considered it to be the very best Cinderella ever made, but now think that’s Leslie Ann Warren’s version. This version has it all. A great cast, with fantastic performances by Lily James, Cate Blanchett, and Helena Bonham Carter. These three are excellent. Lily James could perhaps have put just a bit more real oomph in her performance, which is why I rate her as the third best Cinderella after Ilene Woods and Leslie Ann Warren. But honestly, I found her to be the star performer in the film. I loved her. Wished she could have done a bit better, but still loved her. And I suppose she has the hobby of reading, perhaps even sewing, not sure if she likes or does either a lot. But not a single performance is bad. I actually think maybe I feel sadder for Cinderella when her dress is ripped and she cries because of what her stepfamily and life did to her more than in the animated film. It’s heartbreaking. And we have no songs to worry about, except “Lavender’s Blue”, which is a lovely song, so that rates it highly, and the score is actually incredibly great to me, so that covers the music. The costumes are fantastic. Creative, imaginative, beautiful, and flawless. I do wish Cinderella’s ballgown was actually extremely elaborate, and looked more like the one in Walt Disney’s version, instead of simply elegant, but for being the simple version, it’s perfect. The sets are amazing. I do wish the castle was more like the tall towers of the Walt Disney version, but it is a beautiful, grandiose castle I can’t find fault with and also love. The special effects are outstanding and truly gorgeous. Cinderella’s transformation is a dream come true. Finally, the writing of the film. It’s wonderful. Cinderella slowly becomes a servant without being a pushover, she and the Prince fall in love with each other’s goodness, and the stepmother has a great backstory and she and Cinderella have a fantastic moment in their first exchange in the attic. This is like the classic animated film if it was more focused on Cinderella and the other humans and didn’t have darn animals ruining it by taking over a third of the time. I do find a problem though with the film being too mushy, sweet, and sometimes boring in the beginning before Cinderella becomes a servant, and that deleted scene of Cinderella and the Prince getting to know each other at the ball should be in, and perhaps, more generally, we should have a better romance between them, but like I said, it can be gleaned that they fell in love with each other’s goodness, and I suppose that’s enough. This film is an undeniable masterpiece.

4. The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
Why: A musical version of Cinderella that has a fantastic, wonderful, enjoyable feel. Starring Gemma Craven as Cinderella, she has goodness and gumption, and is a very charming, feel-good Cinderella. The stepmother is absolutely fabulous, truly a great performance. Even though she is cruel, she is not so evil as to not happily be part of Cinderella’s family when she weds the prince. The stepmother also delivers the best line in the film, and she makes it the best line. “Forgive me?! How dare she forgive me?!” The Fairy Godmother is also excellent, another exemplary performance. She’s very fun and enjoyable. The film also stars Richard Chamberlain, and the story focuses more on him than Cinderella, actually. He was a big star at the time, and the Sherman Brothers, who wrote the music, wanted to use the prince’s story as a new angle on the film, and that’s what I do not like about this version. Cinderella should get equal, or better yet, a little more focus in this film. And I actually don’t think Richard Chamberlain did a very good acting job in this film. But oh well. As for the music, it’s pretty good, but I think there are a few duds, and that altogether the music isn’t that great. However, the costumes and sets are wonderful, as is the dance with “The Slipper and the Rose Waltz”. The 18th century always looks good, so that helped the costumes out. This film is something I can sit back and relax to, it isn’t too mushy or sweet or anything like that. It’s just so long and focuses too much on the prince and the “marriage of alliance” subplot when that time should be devoted to Cinderella and her romantic relationship with the prince. This film I would also call a masterpiece.

5. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1997)
Why: Well, the acting by Cinderella is not bad, but it’s not really good, it’s just…ok. Brandy did an OK job. Whitney Houston did a pretty good job. The stepsisters did pretty good. Whoopi Goldberg did excellent, and so did Bernadette Peters. The rest of the cast….ehhh. So the acting overall was…ehhh. But the production values are woah! The design of the sets is incredible, and most of the costumes are extraordinarily great. The special effects, while not looking as realistic as today’s CGI, are still great animation of magic! And with the best music, except for those darned added in Rodgers and Hammerstein trunk songs that I like but don’t want added into Cinderella, this all makes for a great version of Cinderella that I find myself wanting to watch often.

6. Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
Why: Well, after watching this recently, I would say this is the most consistently entertaining full-length film version of Cinderella. I like Drew Barrymore, I love Anjelica Huston, I like the guy playing the prince, I felt he played the prince very real, even if he was also a bit of a jerk, I LOVE the woman playing Danielle’s great-great granddaughter, and all of the acting is good. I LOVE the sets and costumes, especially as the sets are real chateaus and castles, and I especially love Danielle’s ball dress, with or without wings. But I don’t like how it’s not really Cinderella. I suppose that shouldn’t go against the film, because like I said it’s the most consistently entertaining full-length film version of the tale, it’s just that even with the great acting and sets and costumes, and entertainment, it doesn’t, to me, trump that this is not really Cinderella with the magic and the ball where the heroine and the prince fall in love (or deeper in love). And speaking of their love, I don’t really find there to be so much love there. I guess that the prince likes the fire and challenge in Danielle? And it’s good that they fall in love over talks of how the peasants should be treated more like royalty because that is, of course, what the Cinderella story is all about, but I just don’t really see a big love between the two. Anyway, this is still an excellent version of Cinderella. But what can I say, maybe I love the idea of Cinderella getting saved by love that all the other versions have but this one doesn’t? If that sounds sexist, remember, I’m male but I would love to be saved by love. It would be cool to save yourself with a sword, but getting saved by someone you love feels wonderful, too.

7. Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
Why: This is a special favorite of mine. I rented it many times when I was a kid. I don’t like the design very much, but that shows how good this film is – the writing and acting are phenomenal. It shows the death of Cinderella’s father so tactfully, and how Cinderella becomes a servant, and why she becomes a servant, so well, as well as why the Fairy Godmother only shows up to help Cinderella at the right time. Jennifer Beals is a great Cinderella. She’s a good, kind girl, but she is no pushover and objects to how she is treated and is very grounded, and is not too sweet or anything like that. The stepsisters are absolutely hilarious. The prince is a nice boy you can see is good for Cinderella. And the Fairy Godmother is full of fun. I even love the pyrotechnic special effects. They actually work really well. This is a very well-made and personality-filled version of Cinderella.

8. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
Why: I don’t like this version very much at all. Julie Andrews is a good actress but I’ve never found her acting to be exceptional or her voice particularly pretty. The stepsisters were funny, they were probably the best character-wise to me in this short film. And then the Fairy Godmother and the queen. But man do I hate the design of the whole thing. Worst Cinderella designs ever. At least almost all of the music is good. And the book is pretty good too. I do like that Cinderella knows her godmother, but doesn’t know she’s magic till later (and that explains why Cinderella thinking “Wait a minute, aren’t you a freaking fairy and can make anything possible?!” never happens when the Fairy Godmother sings “Impossible” in all the other Rodgers and Hammerstein versions), and Cinderella independently going to the palace to consider being with the prince, but other than that, I think this is one of the poorest of the notable versions of Cinderella out there.
EDIT: After seeing this film again, I loved it, it was better than I remembered, and it is not one of the poorest versions of Cinderella. It may even be better than the 1997 version.

9. ЗОЛУШКА (a Russsian Cinderella cartoon)
Why: This is a Russian cartoon of Cinderella. I don’t know when it was made. Here’s the Youtube link to it: Russian Cinderella Cartoon. It comes with optional subtitles. Anyway, the story is told very nicely, very touchingly, and with great music and absolutely gorgeous animation. That’s pretty much all there is to say, because there isn’t a lot of character development. It’s all visual. But there is some character development to Cinderella. She is shown to be kind all the time, always helping others. But for some reason, when the slipper arrives at her house, she chooses not to ask for the slipper to go on herself, but instead help put the slipper on her stepsister, and then later the prince gets her to try it on. I saw Cinderella put the slipper on her stepsister in a 1947 Russian live-action version of Cinderella, so I wonder if this element has always been in the version of the story that Russians know. If I must rate the Russian 1947 live-action version, I rate that one at number 10, I guess, but I’m not bothering with that one because I don't remember it enough to rate it and I don't feel like watching it again. I think that says it's not that great, then.

So now, what would my favorites list be?

1. Walt Disney’s Cinderella (1950)
2. Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
3. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1998)
4. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
5. Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
6. The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
7. Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
8. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
9. ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)

RE-RANKING OF THE OBJECTIVE BEST March 27, 2016:
1.Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
2.Walt Disney’s Cinderella (1950)
3.Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
4.The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5.Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
6.Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
7.Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
8.Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1998)
9.Золушка (1947 live-action film)
10.ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)

The 1947 Russian film has a very life-full Cinderella who charms guests at the ball and her prince is charming, too. The Fairy Godmother's costume is amazing and Cinderella's daring to go against her stepmother and only work for her because of what she could do to her and her father makes for a good story.

EDIT: After viewing the 1965 Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella a few more times recently, even though I think Lesley Ann Warren's acting, the lack of drawn out boring parts in the film, the clear distinction of Cinderella seemingly being beneath what a prince would want as a servant, the importance of kindness being what gets Cinderella the prince, and the sheer brevity of the story-telling may seem to make it best, I think the 2015 Disney Cinderella is the best version. It made me feel a lot for Ella, then when she becomes Cinderella, then when she meets Kit, then when she is hurt further by her stepfamily before the ball, then when she goes to the ball, then when she meets Kit again, and when she marries him. I thought it was kind of soulless, but maybe not, and it does have heart. And since there's no annoyances with animal characters and more seen relationship between Cinderella and Kit, I think it is the best one. Plus, I forgot, her kindness to the stag, and to Kit as well, does also bring about the message of Cinderella's kindness bringing about her happily ever after. So my new top three choices are Cinderella (2015) at number 1, Cinderella (1950) at number 2, and Cinderella (1965) at number 3.

Newly wanted to say, in Kenneth Branagh’s 2015 Cinderella, Cinderella doesn’t take as much abuse from her stepfamily. She leaves the house and does things to make her happy. Yes, Walt Disney’s Cinderella did things to make her happy, but perhaps not to the extent Kenneth Branagh’s does by leaving her abuse and not getting huge lists of chores and not being abused as much. And her Fairy Godmother comes to her aid much sooner, too. That’s all very good stuff.

Anyway, I recently saw The Glass Slipper (1955). I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it very much. Cinderella seemed to be dumb. Having an unintelligent characer get a happy ending is a good thing, I must say, but she just seemed like she was mentally feeble. At least she fought with her stepfamily and told them her real feelings. And her stepsisters were beautiful instead of shallowly ugly. You could even have the opinion they were more beautiful than Cinderella. Also, I did like what relationship there was between Cinderella and the prince. The prince found Ella adorable, and when he taught her to dance and she learned, you could tell there was romance. I hated that the Fairy Godmother wasn't shown doing any magic, and she freaking stole a dress for Cinderella to wear. I did like her character somewhat at least. Oh, and I liked the Prince's song. And it was good Ella tried to run away.

I would probably rate The Glass Slipper (1955) at number 11. It is one of the worst Cinderella features I've seen.

You know, I was just thinking, there may be a slightly bigger amount of times I feel something in the 2015 Cinderella, but there are two huge times in the 1950 one. When Cinderella's stepfamily ruins her dress (and dreams), and when Cinderella pulls out that other slipper. I just feel so deeply in those scenes. So, even though I will still say the 2015 one is the best, perhaps it's not. The 1950 one really is a close contender. But I really am heartbroken when Lily James cries after her stepfamily ruins her dreams before the ball and I feel more for Cinderella and Kit's romance than the 1950 Cinderella and Prince Charming romance, of course.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:26 am, edited 16 times in total.
Disney Duster

Re: Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, the Disney and Kenneth Branagh 2015 version got the most votes (so far)! It is well earned! And that and the Walt Disney version are the leads. Perhaps the Disney essence is alive and well in those two films. Or perhaps it's because this is a Disney forum, lol. But I think it's because they both are indeed good movies.

I must say, I think I wish I added the 1947 Russian live-action film, because that film is pretty good and it has more, and in some ways is better, than the Russian cartoon. Apparently the film was big in Russia and according to Wikipedia, it was told with "caustic undertones" and "many phrases from the movie became aphorisms". And the woman who played Cinderella was 38 at the time! It explains why I thought she was not a very beautiful Cinderella when I watched it, but it really didn't matter, because she was great and sweet.

The film has not very good special effects, but the Fairy Godmother's costume is amazing. Cinderella refusing to put the glass slipper on her stepsister, but then obeying because her stepmother threatens to have her father thrown out of the house and perhaps killed, really says something about why Cinderella stays in the house and does all the chores. Because her father's there, and perhaps she needs to save him from her stepmother who has connections to make things happen to Cinderella and her father. It's well-written there. Cinderella really is very dear and her love between the prince and her is dear as well. It's a fairly good movie.

Here's a link: 1947 Russian Cinderella

Comes with optional subtitles, like the Russian cartoon does.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Hey Duster, just wondering a few things. I know your thread was mainly about Cinderella movies, but what do you think about the recent Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella Broadway musical? Also, have you seen the Cinderella anime TV show? If not, you should check it out! It's pretty good.

Furthermore, in regards to Julie Andrews, did you not like her acting and singing in Cinderella or in general? If it's the former, then I respectfully disagree. I find Julie to be the best Rodgers & Hammerstein Cinderella, followed by Laura Osnes, then Brandy, and then Lesley. If it's the latter, then we're gonna have to have a talk. Haha.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I want the main topic of this thread to be the movies, but I will gladly talk about the stage show and anime a little. I thought the stage show did some things great. A more personality-filled and likable prince, he wasn't boring or a jerk. Really great costumes, especially the Fairy Godmother's and Cinderella's second ball gown. They were really creative. The transformations were cool. The puppet animals, and their human forms, were sooo cute! The fairy godmother being disguised as a crazy woman (well I wish she was just a beggar, not crazy, but whatever) who was always around and returned Cinderella's constant kindness to her was a great idea and made her not be a deus ex machina. In the 2015 film, I loved that they used the idea but it wasn't quite as well done and she was more of a deus ex machina there. I liked that the stage show also had her be present in the rest of Cinderella's life, like at the shoe-fitting and her wedding. Even though the 2015 version has her present but invisible (until she appears in the clouds) and you get the sense she was always watching Ella invisibly, it would have been nice if Cinderella could see her. In the stage show, Cinderella leaving the house after how cruel her stepmother was was great, too.

I liked that Cinderella had a nicer stepsister but I didn't like her subplot with Jean-Michel. I didn't like Jean-Michel, really. Or Sebastian. I didn't like any of the side stuff about Cinderella teaching Topher how to rule the kingdom. Now, I liked it in Ever After, and in my own comic book I'm planning on making of Cinderella, I, too, am going to include that kind of Cinderella telling the prince how she would rule stuff, but in this version, it felt like it made the love story be a side thing that didn't matter as much. I just wish it had felt more like it was about Cinderella and the Prince falling in love. The political stuff felt shoe-horned into the stage version.

As for the anime, if it's the one where the fairy godmother is a painter and gives Cinderella her ability to talk to animals, you actually already told me about that one and I watched it and we talked about it, lol. I thought it was very good, except I didn't like the subplots that detracted too much from the main story. Like the fortune teller, Cinderella going to get some magic tree...? And the villain who was trying to fight the prince...I forget. But other than that it was great. I loved seeing Cinderella's mother being friends with and asking her painting teacher to be Cinderella's godmother, and having her godmother help her all through the story! And I did like Cinderella and the prince's developing romance. My last gripe with the anime is something a Youtube comment said: They never kiss!

Now for Julie Andrews. Ok, I have only seen her in Cinderella, Mary Poppins, and The Sound of Music. She was really good in those last two. I think she played Cinderella well, just...not stand out good, to me. I felt I didn't see much emotion from her. This is also my problem with Brandy. Even though Lesley seemed weak, and that bothered me as a kid just like you are bothered by it now, it is her emotions that make her the best to me now that I am older. As for Julie Andrews' singing...oh, man, please don't hate me, but I don't think her singing is outstanding. It's pretty, but I don't think it's, like, super good. My favorite singing is actually by Brandy.

However, I will re-watch the Julie Andrews version again sometime soon, and report back here telling you if I feel differently. But for now, this is all I can say.

I just watched some of Julie's "In my Own Little Corner" and she does sound lovely and she does act kind of playful and show some emotional faces, so, that's a good sign for when I re-watch it.

Oh, and please vote! Unless you aren't ready, yet, to make such a decision, lol.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, as I said I would, I watched the 1957 original Rodgers' and Hammerstein's Cinderella with Julie Andrews again, and...I loved it. I liked it much more than I did before. And I paid special attention to Julie, and I found her to be enchanting, and lovely, her acting and singing all wonderful. Her "The carriage awaits" imitation of the footman was truly great and truly hilarious! That's rare! Especially for a Cinderella. And her, "You look beautiful" was truly kind. She gave worried glances and acted as demure as the servant Cinderella should. She was truly funny sometimes, and sometimes looked truly sad. And she looked truly happy many times. And she is a very lovely singer.

However, I don't feel the film had much drama until the ball and everything that happened afterward. Most of that probably comes from the fact that Cinderella's family wasn't as cruel as the original fairy tale told. In a way that's good because then it makes Cinderella doing work for her family and staying with them more reasonable, but the drama was lessened because of it.

I still think it stays in the same place as I originally rated it in my first post in this thread, but I am flip-flopping over it maybe being better than the 1997 Rodgers' and Hammerstein's Cinderella. I think Julie Andrews was better than Brandy.

Oh, and if I had to place the 2013 Broadway show in, I would place it at number 9, before the Russian cartoon, which would make the Russian cartoon 10. If I had to add the anime, I would make that the one after the 2013 Broadway show.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I decided to give this a second go.

After seeing the original 1957 Rodgers and Hammerstein version again, I loved it, it was better than I remembered, and it is not one of the poorest versions of Cinderella. It may even be better than the 1997 version.

Then I thought about the 1947 Russian film. It has a very life-full Cinderella who charms guests at the ball and her prince is charming, too. The Fairy Godmother's costume is amazing and Cinderella's daring to go against her stepmother and only work for her because of what she could do to her and her father makes for a good story.

RE-RANKING OF THE OBJECTIVE BEST March 27, 2016:
1.Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
2.Walt Disney’s Cinderella (1950)
3.Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
4.The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5.Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
6.Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
7.Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
8.Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1998)
9.ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)
10. Золушка (1947 live-action film)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wanted to say I think The Slipper and the Rose has a better version of how Cinderella becomes a servant because it is clear Cinderella and her stepmother don't like each other, and they both come out in the open about how they feel and have such juicy drama. Also it's less sentimental. It's sad but dry and not wet.

Anyway, I recently saw The Glass Slipper (1955). I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it very much. Cinderella seemed to be dumb. Having an unintelligent characer get a happy ending is a good thing, I must say, but she just seemed like she was mentally feeble. At least she fought with her stepfamily and told them her real feelings. And her stepsisters were beautiful instead of shallowly ugly. You could even have the opinion they were more beautiful than Cinderella. Also, I did like what relationship there was between Cinderella and the prince. The prince found Ella adorable, and when he taught her to dance and she learned, you could tell there was romance. I hated that the Fairy Godmother wasn't shown doing any magic, and she freaking stole a dress for Cinderella to wear. I did like her character somewhat at least. Oh, and I liked the Prince's song. And it was good Ella tried to run away.

I would probably rate The Glass Slipper (1955) at number 11. It is one of the worst Cinderella features I've seen.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So I just watched the 1965 Lesley Ann Warren Cinderella again, and it wasn't as good as I remembered. Then, I remembered how good the 2015 Lily James one is. My main problem with the 2015 one was I felt it was kind of soulless. But I feel bad for Cinderella when she is hurt by her stepfamily demeaning her to her new name and the station that comes with it, and when they wreck her dreams and depart for the ball. And I feel really good for her when she meets Kit and when she goes to the ball and meets Kit again, and I love the relationship between her and Kit more than that of the 1965 version and even, I would say, the original 1950 Cinderella, sort of, because there is still something magical about the beauty of the romance represented in the "So This is Love" montage.

So I think I might move Kenneth Branagh's 2015 Disney Cinderella to number 1, Walt Disney's 1950 Cinderella to number 2, and Rodgers and Hammerestein's 1965 Cinderella to number 3. Either that or Walt's Cinderella at 1 and Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella at 2. Wow, these may change a lot like people's favorite Disney Animated Classics ratings around here, huh?

So after viewing the 1965 Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella a few more times recently, even though I think Lesley Ann Warren's acting, the lack of drawn out boring parts in the film, the clear distinction of Cinderella seemingly being beneath what a prince would want as a servant, the importance of kindness being what gets Cinderella the prince, and the sheer brevity of the story-telling may seem to make it best, I think the 2015 Disney Cinderella is the best version. It made me feel a lot for Ella, then when she becomes Cinderella, then when she meets Kit, then when she is hurt further by her stepfamily before the ball, then when she goes to the ball, then when she meets Kit again, and when she marries him. I thought it was kind of soulless, but maybe not, and it does have heart. And since there's no annoyances with animal characters and more seen relationship between Cinderella and Kit, I think it is the best one. Plus, I forgot, her kindness to the stag, and to Kit as well, does also bring about the message of Cinderella's kindness bringing about her happily ever after. So my new top three choices are Cinderella (2015) at number 1, Cinderella (1950) at number 2, and Cinderella (1965) at number 3.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

1. Rodgers and Hammerstein (1957)
2. Walt Disney (1950)
3. Rodgers and Hammerstein (1965)

I don't give a rat's ass about the other versions.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Actually, that's a great list. And interesting. I'm surprised Walt Disney's isn't your first choice though. Have you seen the live-action Disney version, to give it a chance?

Newly wanted to say, in Kenneth Branagh’s 2015 Cinderella, Cinderella doesn’t take as much abuse from her stepfamily. She leaves the house and does things to make her happy. Yes, Walt Disney’s Cinderella did things to make her happy, but perhaps not to the extent Kenneth Branagh’s does by leaving her abuse and not getting huge lists of chores and not being abused as much. And her Fairy Godmother comes to her aid much sooner, too. That’s all very good stuff.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know, I was just thinking, there may be a slightly bigger amount of times I feel something in the 2015 Cinderella, but there are two huge times in the 1950 one. When Cinderella's stepfamily ruins her dress (and dreams), and when Cinderella pulls out that other slipper. I just feel so deeply in those scenes. So, even though I will still say the 2015 one is the best, perhaps it's not. The 1950 one really is a close contender. But I really am heartbroken when Lily James cries after her stepfamily ruins her dreams before the ball and I feel more for Cinderella and Kit's romance than the 1950 Cinderella and Prince Charming romance, of course.
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

1965 followed by 2015 with the orginal classic in the middle . I'm biased. I grew up watching the 1965 version from an early age.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

VERY good choices! And good order. Those are, to me, the top best ones.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I came across this article and was reminded of this thread. So, I thought I'd share!

11 Cinderella Movie Adaptations, Ranked
http://ew.com/movies/best-cinderella-mo ... inderelly/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, thank you Sotiris! I checked it out and it was cool (and funny!) and pretty good. I agree somewhat with it, it makes a lot of sense, but I will talk about it more when I have more time. Also, I probably should actually see the Hillary Duff one and the Mary Pickford one since they were on the list.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, well, that Entertainment Weekly list was in a lot of agreement with my own, at least that I would make as of now, not necessarily the ones I've already posted here. But it's not in total agreement, and some of it I find quite wrong!

I've never seen the entire Cinderfella. The main character looks funny in that picture, but I guess he's not according to this article. The description of the film sounds horrible, and misguided. If the film had been just a romantic comedy with the genders of the main characters switched, maybe it could have been good? And why are there only 11 options? It should be 12 because of the twelves strokes of midnight! They could have put some other Cinderella movie in I'm sure. I thought of some but forgot them. Moving on, why the f*** is the 1965 Cinderella in 10th place? That's ludacris! I know it's not just me that thinks it's really good. It's considered by many, many people to be the best Cinderella film there is! And if not that, the best of the Rodgers and Hammerstein's ones! And the description about ugly costumes is a lie. The costumes are all well-designed, they just look cheap. Lesley Ann Warren can be viewed as a little cloying, but I don't see her that way at all and think it's untrue. She's just very emotional. I've never seen all of A Cinderella Story either, so whatever to that one. I'm sure it's bad save for the stepmother by Jennifer Coolidge. I like The Glass Slipper, but actually thought the ballet parts were the worst of it. Get rid of the ballet, change and add a little to the plot, and maybe get a better actress for Cinderella, and poof it would have been a pretty good version. It's a story about a powerful girl in a world that tries to subdue her and one prince who wants to set her free. I thought I hadn't seen Cinderella (1914), but I did a long time ago. I remember not liking it at all except for the song Cinderella sings in her head while she's with the prince. Honestly I dislike the adaptation and really think it should be just one step above A Cinderella Story. But to be honest, the rest of the list I think makes sense. I'd still put the 1965 version above the 1997 one, and either the 1950 one or 1965 one at the top of the list, and Ever After after those and the 2015 one, but everything is pretty much sound with the exception of saying Cinderella's ballgown is "embarassing" compared to Belle's. Belle's I can see as being thought of as the best, but Cinderella's would surely be second best!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

What a stupid article. That woman obviously know nothing about quality Cinderellas.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Here is one you may not have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHLUBJBgAKo

Cinderella Orlando Corradi is a 26 part series in which Cinderella and the prince must prevent the duke from taking over the kingdom.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you very much for showing me that, bradhig! I actually have seen that movie, as well as the TV show it comes from. The movie is ok, but the show is amazing! A lot of people call it the best version of Cinderella, and while I feel that position is probably still taken by Disney's animated Cinderella (yeah, I no longer think it's Rodgers and Hammerstein's 1965 version), it certainly is one of the best! Cinderella's reason for being a servant is clearly made, she has a much stronger bond with the prince, as well as with her fairy godmother (!!!), whom we see more involvement with and explanation for as well, and Cinderella gets help and has quite a life even under her stepfamily's rule. It's just a great and pretty well developed version, probably oweing itself to being the length of a one-season TV show. The movie cuts together what I assume they felt are all the integral parts, which leads to some things not making any sense or coming out of nowhere, as well as missing some great things and just being less in-depth. If I could rate the movie, it would be in the lower half, I think, all because of this. And it's interesting Cinderella's father is a duke and it is also a duke who tries to take over the kingdom!

I also recently saw A Cinderella Story. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but it's definitely not a very good Cinderella movie. I may rate these two films (and the TV show, if that's fair?!) in a re-evaluation of all the rest of the films later.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Disney Duster wrote:Thank you very much for showing me that, bradhig! I actually have seen that movie, as well as the TV show it comes from. The movie is ok, but the show is amazing! A lot of people call it the best version of Cinderella, and while I feel that position is probably still taken by Disney's animated Cinderella (yeah, I no longer think it's Rodgers and Hammerstein's 1965 version), it certainly is one of the best! Cinderella's reason for being a servant is clearly made, she has a much stronger bond with the prince, as well as with her fairy godmother (!!!), whom we see more involvement with and explanation for as well, and Cinderella gets help and has quite a life even under her stepfamily's rule. It's just a great and pretty well developed version, probably oweing itself to being the length of a one-season TV show. The movie cuts together what I assume they felt are all the integral parts, which leads to some things not making any sense or coming out of nowhere, as well as missing some great things and just being less in-depth. If I could rate the movie, it would be in the lower half, I think, all because of this. And it's interesting Cinderella's father is a duke and it is also a duke who tries to take over the kingdom!

I also recently saw A Cinderella Story. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but it's definitely not a very good Cinderella movie. I may rate these two films (and the TV show, if that's fair?!) in a re-evaluation of all the rest of the films later.

I saw the whole series as well.