Pixar Is Making More Sequels

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar Is Making More Sequels

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What is this, the anti-Prince Edward campaign? :roll: He can say anything he wants, and he brings a lot to the forum. Why don't you try to make posts that actually offer something rather than just react to opinions you don't like.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jim Morris wrote:We only make sequels if the director of the original film wants to make one. It doesn't mean he or she was to direct it, but it means they have to want to make this film and have an idea about it.
Source: http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Pod ... 373514.htm
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I wonder if they'll still say that when they make a Brave 2. Because I'm sure Brenda Chapman would not have wanted the story to continue. (It would be an added insult if they make a sequel all about Merida falling in love with some guy. :lol: )
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Sotiris wrote:
Jim Morris wrote:We only make sequels if the director of the original film wants to make one. It doesn't mean he or she was to direct it, but it means they have to want to make this film and have an idea about it.
Source: http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Pod ... 373514.htm

LOOOOOL

"Lasseter was the director of Toy Story and Cars and he wanted lots of those".

I mean, we knew Pixar would fall someday but why fall so much and so rapidly?
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Wait a second, so they knew they were making a Cars 3, but they're just waiting until they can figure out a good storyline? That means they are greenlighting sequels without the story in place.

Just like Frozen 2 began without a story, just an ending.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Hopefully they will not be bizarre

Post by Patricier21 »

I just hope that these sequels will no contain any weird scenes like in The Good Dinosaur (you'll know what I mean when you see it)
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Look at it this way, it's not like every Pixar movie is going to get a sequel.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I thought they didn't do sequels unless they came up with the right story for one? That's what the guys said at the Pixar panel at D23.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

DisneyJedi wrote:I thought they didn't do sequels unless they came up with the right story for one? That's what the guys said at the Pixar panel at D23.
Yes, that's correct.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Poor Pixar. It's so difficult for them to keep making sequels. Thankfully, somehow they manage to power through. :lol:
Jim Morris wrote:It’s difficult to make sequels. On the one hand you don’t have to invent the whole world, and you don’t have to invent all the characters and they’re very difficult parts of making an original. But once you’ve told a story in a certain world, the demands of telling a different story in that world with those characters we found to be very difficult.
Source: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015 ... pixar.html
Disney's Divinity

This is another thing that contradicts what they've said about "waiting for the idea of another story to strike" before making sequels. It is difficult to force a sequel without falling into all the trappings that people hate about sequels, but it wouldn't be difficult if they were waiting for the idea to strike as they say.

They're just trying to spin something (ie, that sequels are made because $$$) into sounding more positive than it is to avoid any possible criticism lobbed their way, whereas if they'd just be upfront about it most people wouldn't care or they'd get over it. It's the same thing with the end of hand-drawn animation: they up infuriating people more because they insist on dancing around the truth, pretending they're superior to other studios and that "story is king" is their motto when they run things by the numbers just like everyone else.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:They're just trying to spin something (ie, that sequels are made because $$$) into sounding more positive than it is to avoid any possible criticism lobbed their way, whereas if they'd just be upfront about it most people wouldn't care or they'd get over it. It's the same thing with the end of hand-drawn animation: they up infuriating people more because they insist on dancing around the truth, pretending they're superior to other studios and that "story is king" is their motto when they run things by the numbers just like everyone else.
Couldn't agree more. :thumb:
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: They're just trying to spin something (ie, that sequels are made because $$$) into sounding more positive than it is to avoid any possible criticism lobbed their way, whereas if they'd just be upfront about it most people wouldn't care or they'd get over it. It's the same thing with the end of hand-drawn animation: they up infuriating people more because they insist on dancing around the truth, pretending they're superior to other studios and that "story is king" is their motto when they run things by the numbers just like everyone else.
Attachments
Turbo Meme.jpg
Turbo Meme.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
Disney's Divinity

Believe me, my tone of voice would only be matter-of-fact, because like I said being driven by $$$ describes nearly every studios. The constant speaking out of both sides of their mouth just makes me lol more than anything these days.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ed Catmull talks about Pixar's sequel strategy at this year's SF International Film Festival.
At the inaugural Creativity Summit at the SF International Film Festival on Saturday, Pixar co-founder and current Disney animation director Edmund Catmull delivered a “State of the Cinema” address, and then joined several longtime Pixar staffers for a panel discussion about the company’s work ethic. During the Q&A, the company’s approach to sequels came up, and the panelists didn’t hesitate to acknowledge that the bulk of its upcoming slate was heavy with followups.

“I wish we were good enough to be able to spread them out,” say Lindsey Collins, a producer and vice president of development and new media at the studio. “The only reason they look like they’re clumped is because we can’t predict how they come together. It’s pathetic, actually, that we can’t do this better, but we really can’t. If we were better at it, we’d be spreading things out — original, original, sequel — but the reality becomes sequel, sequel, original, original and we just kind of have to go with it.”

Catmull added that the company has developed an internal philosophy about the rationale behind any sequel it chooses to produce. “Since they’re easier to market, and therefore you will likely make more money, there is a temptation to do just that,” he said. “If you went down that path, that’s the bankruptcy. The fact is that there are people who want to make those sequels because they’re passionate about those worlds. If you swing to one side, you can become creatively bankrupt. If you swing to the side where you ignore them, you can actually make yourself bankrupt.”

The audience laughed. “So what is the balance?” Catmull said. “And there is a fuzzy kind of balance. There is no exact science to all of this. But if you look at ‘Toy Story 2’ and ‘Toy Story 3,’ then it’s clear that this was really incredible art. There are sequels out there from other unnamed companies that…they’re not inherently bad, but there’s something about them that’s lazy.”

In his State of the Cinema address, Catmull talked about the early measures he took with co-founder John Lasseter to ensure Pixar’s creative freedom after the Disney acquisition. “The first thing [we did] when Disney acquired Pixar is that we had to make sure the board didn’t come in and accidentally roll over things,” Catmull said. “We entered into a five-year contract to make sure that didn’t happen. We are now 11 years into the five-year contract. So Disney has completely honored everything about that relationship. All the problems we’ve had are of our own making.”
Source: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/pixar- ... 201803724/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I've isolated a couple of quotations that I wanted to comment on.
Ed Catmull wrote:If you swing to one side, you can become creatively bankrupt. If you swing to the side where you ignore them, you can actually make yourself bankrupt.
Except that Pixar's original films were (and still are) big hits. They never needed sequels to make money.
Ed Catmull wrote:There are sequels out there from other unnamed companies that…they’re not inherently bad, but there’s something about them that’s lazy.
This is just precious. They always think they're so much better than other studios when in fact the same can be said about several Pixar sequels.
Disney's Divinity

The audience laughed. “So what is the balance?” Catmull said. “And there is a fuzzy kind of balance. There is no exact science to all of this. But if you look at ‘Toy Story 2’ and ‘Toy Story 3,’ then it’s clear that this was really incredible art. There are sequels out there from other unnamed companies that…they’re not inherently bad, but there’s something about them that’s lazy.”
…Like Monsters University, Cars 2, and Finding Dory?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

And Toy Story 4...in which one of the main actors just died? :roll: :roll: :roll:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

This list is from BoxOfficeMojo about upcoming features from Pixar & WDAS. From June of this year to June 2018, Pixar is releasing not 1, not 2 but 3 features! Meanwhile, WDAS has no features for release during this same time period, with only WiR2 during Thanksgiving week 2018. Could this be another reason Gigantic was delayed again? Pixar purposefully sabotaging WDAS Revival era, with only 2 sequels over the next 2 1/2 years. I believe the head honchos at Pixar "John/Ed"
were not pleased with WDAS trying to upstage them. So they completely shut down they're creative team at WDAS, why do you think Gigantic is the only original feature they've announced since 2015, & delayed it not once but twice in a 10 month span. Both studios released 3 features from 2014 thru 2016, with each studio taking a year off. But this 3 Pixar features in a year to nothing form WDAS is very suspicious :x
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So, at lunchtime I looked on BoxOfficeMojo to see how the last few Disney and Pixar animated films did at the worldwide box office (& then I figured I'd just do the movies since Disney bought Pixar in 2006).

My thought is that Pixar is doing just fine, & they shouldn't be jealous of Disney too much. (And also I always thought that John Lasseter's baby is Pixar and he can never love Disney as much/treat Disney as well as he loves/treats Pixar. And I think a lot of us here for a long time have been skeptical of his loyalties. I can't say that he's done nothing for Disney, but at the same time, I feel that many of the stories that they've been telling could have been told even without Lasseter...)

Anyhoo, the box office:

Finding Dory: $1,028,570,889.....................Moana: $640,514,536
The Good Dinosaur: $332,207,671...............Zootopia: $1,023,784,195
Inside Out: $857,611,174...........................Big Hero 6: $657,818,612
Monsters University: $744,229,437..............Frozen: $1,276,480,335
Brave: $540,437,063..................................Wreck-It Ralph: $471,222,889
Cars 2: $562,110,557.................................Winnie the Pooh: $33,152,846
Toy Story 3: $1,066,969,703.......................Tangled: 591,794,936
Up: $735,099,082......................................The Princess & the Frog: $267,045,765
WALL-E: $533,281,433...............................Bolt: $309,979,994
Ratatouille: $620,702,951...........................Meet the Robinsons: $169,333,034
Cars: $462,216,280. ..................................Chicken Little**: $314,432,837

**Obviously CL came out in 2005...