How can DVDs work in Blu-Ray players?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

How can DVDs work in Blu-Ray players?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but I'm thinking that one of these days, I will probably need to upgrade. But I'm not particularly eager to redo my whole movie collection over again for the sake of a different technology. I'm told that DVDs can work in Blu-Ray players. However, I have trouble believing this, because I have very little knowledge about the technology.

I took a sample DVD with me to a few spots that sold Blu-Rays, such as Best Buy and Fry's, as a test. But none of those places were able to allow me to test it out and only claimed that DVDs would work on a Blu-Ray (but not the other way around). I felt like I had no choice but to take this on faith. I also tried doing searches for this online, but all I got back were tidbits asking whether or not they would work, not HOW they would work. The bottom line is, I would like to have some proof that it would work.

I do have a neighbor who has a Blu-Ray, but I'm hesitant about asking to try this out, not only because that means going into a house I almost have never been in, but also the threat of the player being wrecked if for some reason it didn't work.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Re: How can DVDs work in Blu-Ray players?

Post by Disney Guru »

DVDs are playable in BluRay players. All I have now is a BluRay Player and I use it to play my DVDs and BluRay's.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Magic.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so yes, they do play DVDs.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

estefan wrote:Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so yes, they do play DVDs.
Yes, I know I was told that they would play DVDs, but what I want to know is HOW. I took the DVD in question to certain places, hoping to verify this. That's what I want to do, is to verify the notion of backward compatibility.

I tried to do searches online, but all I found were tidbits about how to make DVD players forward compatible with Blu-Ray discs. That's not what I'm trying to find.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
estefan wrote:Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so yes, they do play DVDs.
Yes, I know I was told that they would play DVDs, but what I want to know is HOW. I took the DVD in question to certain places, hoping to verify this. That's what I want to do, is to verify the notion of backward compatibility.

I tried to do searches online, but all I found were tidbits about how to make DVD players forward compatible with Blu-Ray discs. That's not what I'm trying to find.
The blue laser beam that reads Blu-ray discs can also read DVDs (which are normally read with a red laser beam in DVD players).
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote: Yes, I know I was told that they would play DVDs, but what I want to know is HOW. I took the DVD in question to certain places, hoping to verify this. That's what I want to do, is to verify the notion of backward compatibility.

The blue laser beam that reads Blu-ray discs can also read DVDs (which are normally read with a red laser beam in DVD players).
Now I feel like the next question will be about how the blue laser beam won't damage the DVD, or if one can tell that it's actually blue (!).

This whole things feels like If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.

"If you give a mouse a Blu-Ray player, he's going to ask if it can still play DVDs. When you tell him that it's backwards compatible and can play them, he'll probably ask for if he can try a DVD on a Blu-Ray player. When you let him play that DVD, he'll probably ask you if the DVD will work on all Blu-Ray players. When he tries it on another Blu-Ray player, he'll ask if it's the same for a different DVD. Then he'll want to try that DVD on the first Blu-Ray player he used before.

When he tries the new DVD on the first Blu-Ray player, he might notice it loads differently. So he'll probably ask for a new copy of that DVD. When he's finished testing this third DVD, he'll want to try it on the other Blu-Ray players again. He'll try the second Blu-Ray player he used. He might get carried away and try every Blu-Ray player in the store. He may even end up trying every DVD as well!

When he's done, he'll probably want to actually watch a DVD. You'll have to fix up a little viewing area for him with an armchair and a bowl of popcorn. He'll sit down, make himself comfortable, and start munching on the popcorn. He'll probably ask you to pick a new DVD for him. So you'll select for him a DVD from your collection, and he'll ask to see if it works on the other Blu-Ray player. When he tries it on the other Blu-Ray player, he'll get doubtful that it will work on every one.

He'll ask for a do-it-yourself Blu-Ray player. He'll construct the Blu-Ray player. When the Blu-Ray player is finished, he'll want to test the machine with a DVD. Then he'll want to test the machine with a Blu-Ray. Which means he can finally upgrade his whole collection. So he'll buy them all on Blu-Ray. As he gets ready to watch a Blu-Ray, he'll see an ad for new 4K Blu-Ray players.

So... he'll ask for a 4K Blu-Ray player.

And chances are, if you give a mouse a 4K Blu-Ray player, he's going to ask if it can still play Blu-Rays.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ :lol:

Oh...haha, I clicked on the FAQ link, and #5, the question about Will Blu-ray players play Cds and Dvds.. the answer isn't popping up. We will never know... :o

Will the 4k Blu-ray players also be backwards-compatible?
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Okay, it seems as though I'm not asking the right question, so here's another one...

Are there any videos out there (say, on YouTube) that show people using DVDs in Blu-Ray players? And not Blu-Rays in DVD players?

And by the way, 4k and laser beams were never part of my question, either. One more thing, if a DVD DOES work on one Blu-Ray player, it should work on all of them. That much is pretty certain.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Big Disney Fan wrote:Okay, it seems as though I'm not asking the right question, so here's another one...

Are there any videos out there (say, on YouTube) that show people using DVDs in Blu-Ray players? And not Blu-Rays in DVD players?

And by the way, 4k and laser beams were never part of my question, either. One more thing, if a DVD DOES work on one Blu-Ray player, it should work on all of them. That much is pretty certain.
I don't mean this rudely but do you have Aspergers or Autism?
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
gamer51

Post by gamer51 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ :lol:

Oh...haha, I clicked on the FAQ link, and #5, the question about Will Blu-ray players play Cds and Dvds.. the answer isn't popping up. We will never know... :o

Will the 4k Blu-ray players also be backwards-compatible?

4k players WILL be able to play blu-ray discs but every 4k player will NOT be required to support dvds.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Big Disney Fan wrote:And by the way, 4k and laser beams were never part of my question, either.
Well, laser beams answer your question of HOW the compatibility works.

I think you should just maybe trust us on this. DVDs work on Blu-ray players. They just do. Back in 2007/2008, when Blu-ray players started popping up, it was repeatedly stated that DVDs will work on Blu-ray players, but that Blu-ray discs will not work on DVD players. It's just true. I don't know what more any of us can say.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

gamer51 wrote:4k players WILL be able to play blu-ray discs but every 4k player will NOT be required to support dvds.
Good to know- thank you!! :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know Big Disney Fan, you could always ask someone you know or someone in a store to demonstrate putting a DVD into a blu-ray player for you, and see for yourself that it works. I think a friend or neighbor would be able to.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Disney Duster wrote:You know Big Disney Fan, you could always ask someone you know or someone in a store to demonstrate putting a DVD into a blu-ray player for you, and see for yourself that it works. I think a friend or neighbor would be able to.
I already tried to take a DVD into a store for a demonstration (hence, my bringing up Fry's and Best Buy), but the people working there said that they could not do anything like that. All they said was that DVDs would work on Blu-Ray players, but not Blu-Rays on DVD players. I don't know of any other stores in my area that would do that. If Fry's and Best Buy don't do it, I'm fairly certain that Target and Walmart wouldn't either.

Incidentally, a neighbor of mine does have a Blu-Ray player, but I've hardly ever been in their house before, and I'm hesitant about asking because I'm worried they'll say no. And even if they did say yes, I'm concerned about the player breaking thanks to me.
Disney Guru wrote:I don't mean this rudely but do you have Aspergers or Autism?
Yes, I do have Aspergers.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qSzRFns3XY[/youtube]

Two seconds to find on YouTube.

Honestly.

Albert (who likes that the tutorial uses "Dynasty" as the test disc.)
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Big Disney Fan wrote:Incidentally, a neighbor of mine does have a Blu-Ray player, but I've hardly ever been in their house before, and I'm hesitant about asking because I'm worried they'll say no. And even if they did say yes, I'm concerned about the player breaking thanks to me.
If you ask your neighbor, I'm sure that he will not be afraid of putting your or his own DVD into the blu-ray player. Why not try him?

Also see Escapay's video he posted.
Big Disney Fan wrote:Yes, I do have Aspergers.
Oh, I have it to, but live with my parents. Do you live on your own?
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Disney Duster wrote:If you ask your neighbor, I'm sure that he will not be afraid of putting your or his own DVD into the blu-ray player. Why not try him?
Actually, the neighbor is a woman.
Oh, I have it to, but live with my parents. Do you live on your own?[/quote]

I live with my parents, too. That's another reason for my hesitation.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:If you ask your neighbor, I'm sure that he will not be afraid of putting your or his own DVD into the blu-ray player. Why not try him?
Actually, the neighbor is a woman.
Oh, I have it to, but live with my parents. Do you live on your own?
I live with my parents, too. That's another reason for my hesitation.[/quote]

DVDs work on Blu-Ray players you need to accept that fact. If you can you should definitely upgrade to a Blu-Ray player you'll love it :)
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Disney Guru wrote:DVDs work on Blu-Ray players you need to accept that fact. If you can you should definitely upgrade to a Blu-Ray player you'll love it :)
The thing is, I just wanted verification. That's what my father used to say, "Trust, but verify."

And no offense, but that video by Escapay apparently is not from around here; I think it's from England or Australia, both of which have different regional coding on them, not even related to each other.