Fantasia: 2-Movie Collection - 11/30/10 (Part 2)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

BellesPrince wrote:Look at it this way. When DVD replaced VHS, we weren't given a VHS tape along with all the DVD's we purchased.
You weren't given a VHS along with your DVD because 1) it would have been wildly inconvenient in terms of packaging and shelf space and 2) while you can play a DVD on a Blu-ray player, a VHS tape at best becomes an exciting work of pop art when placed on a DVD player. It's not really a legitimate argument.

EDIT: Hey, lookame! I brought us on to a new page away from that needlessly large graphic! Somebody should give me something.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
BellesPrince wrote:Look at it this way. When DVD replaced VHS, we weren't given a VHS tape along with all the DVD's we purchased.
You weren't given a VHS along with your DVD because 1) it would have been wildly inconvenient in terms of packaging and shelf space and 2) while you can play a DVD on a Blu-ray player, a VHS tape at best becomes an exciting work of pop art when placed on a DVD player. It's not really a legitimate argument.

EDIT: Hey, lookame! I brought us on to a new page away from that needlessly large graphic! Somebody should give me something.
It's not a good argument but it can still stand because a DVD might as well be a VHS for us total Blu converts who no longer own a standalone DVD player as we can play Blu on our laptops, in our bedroom etc.
BellesPrince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BellesPrince »

BK wrote:Arrogance though definitely comes under 'I'll use it for a coaster' crap that comes up sometimes. I mean, stop being such primadonnas it's not like it the world is ending. There are people who do use the DVDs. It's pathetic we see this kind of attitude really, newsflash you're not the only one in the world and not everyone is as rich and selfish as you that they use DVDs as coasters.
Oh get over yourself and don't be so rude, I was being sarcastic.

But, while I'm here, thanks to Yamiguy for the heads up on the Tesco Blu Ray player. I ordered one the other night and just got it today, and I'm very pleased with it.

I notice the price has gone up by £20 now though!!!
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

BellesPrince wrote:
BK wrote:Arrogance though definitely comes under 'I'll use it for a coaster' crap that comes up sometimes. I mean, stop being such primadonnas it's not like it the world is ending. There are people who do use the DVDs. It's pathetic we see this kind of attitude really, newsflash you're not the only one in the world and not everyone is as rich and selfish as you that they use DVDs as coasters.
Oh get over yourself and don't be so rude, I was being sarcastic.

But, while I'm here, thanks to Yamiguy for the heads up on the Tesco Blu Ray player. I ordered one the other night and just got it today, and I'm very pleased with it.

I notice the price has gone up by £20 now though!!!
:lol: I wondered why you reacted and scrolled up and lo and behold the coaster argument made it to the thread, I didn't even realize.
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Disney Duster wrote:Thank you miniroll, but what is the "theatrical cut" that I heard is different from the roadshow cut?

By the way, some of us also thought of keeping Deems Taylor's original voice in, and just getting a very good impersonator to record the missing lines.
Hi again!

The Theatrical Version had the following changes;

- Deems Taylors interstitials were shortened dramatically, and in many cases, simply over-played scenes on the live scenes of the orchestra moving about.

- The opening scene of the film prior to Taylor arriving is shorter by about a third.

- There is no Intermission.

- The title card is not the original 1940 version.

Hope that helps!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by Kyle »

Has anyone seen this? Fantasia is returning to theaters next month.
http://www.fantasia75.com/

I might try to go see it. The closest one is a bit of a drive but I've never seen it in theaters before.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Kyle wrote:Has anyone seen this? Fantasia is returning to theaters next month.

I might try to go see it. The closest one is a bit of a drive but I've never seen it in theaters before.
SWEET!!! This is playing 2 minutes from my house. Going to make a night of this with friends.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Fantasia: 2-Movie Collection - 11/30/10 (Part 2)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks for letting us know! It's playing in my city so I'm thinking fun date night...!!!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

The film sadly isn't playing nearby, but I will definitely be traveling in order to see it. Fantasia is my favorite film and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to see it in the theatre.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Whoa, I'm surprised, but pleasantly suprised over the return to theater news!
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

DancingCrab wrote:
Kyle wrote:Has anyone seen this? Fantasia is returning to theaters next month.

SWEET!!! This is playing 2 minutes from my house. Going to make a night of this with friends.
Fantasia is the first movie I saw in a theater and I'd like to see it again in a theater.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
blackcauldron85

I ordered & printed my tickets for this at the beginning of the week. The theater listed in my city...not sure if it's sold-out or if the website wasn't allowing pre-orders, so I ended up getting tickets for a theater a little further away.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I checked the theaters that'll be showing the film again, just to make sure, and my local theatre will be showing it! I'm pretty stoked.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

It's playing about an hour away from where I live. Might have to see if I can go.

EDIT It's about $12.50 a ticket. Plus it's going to cost $10 to $15 to drive and since I don't drive I'd have to buy my dad a ticket which means it's would cost me a total for $40 to go see it. It's just not doable for me right now unless something changes. I do hope to go but if not oh well.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Just returned home from EXPERIENCING this glorious movie on the big screen, the way it was meant to be seen. I was completely immersed. I usually start getting sleepy at the start of The Rite of Spring, but myself and my fiancé (who has never seen it all the way through on home video) were completely taken in. I really hope that Disney does more of these Fathom events for their animated features. It's cheaper for them than a regular rerelease, but gives us a chance to catch some of these Walt-era classics on the big screen again. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for Fathom to start showing live-action classics like Darby O'Gill as well. A great night out. The last time I saw Fantasia on the big screen was in 1982. I was 6 years old, but remember it vividly.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I was really interested in this, until I saw that it cost $20 to get in.

For a movie that I already own, that's a lot.
blackcauldron85

Hmmm...when I ordered tickets, it was $23 for two. I saw this yesterday, and it was great. Fantasia is definitely a film that should be watched on a big screen (and sitting upright...I can't fall asleep that way!). The effects animation in the film have always taken center stage, but seeing it on the big screen was just mind-blowing. There were probably no more than 12 of us in the theater, but I'm glad that Disney put it back on the big screen!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I'm seeing it this Sunday and I. Am. Beyond. Excited.

Fantasia is my favorite film. I've seen it several times (both on the Anthology DVD and the Blu-ray), and I cannot wait to see it on the big screen. I doubt there will be too many people; and I would be totally happy if I was the only one there, too.

In any case. I'm excited. Did I say that already?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I saw Fantasia on the big screen last year as part of a "Disney Days" promotion carried out by a UK cinema chain. Fantasia is one of my favourite films and I jumped at the chance as I had never seen it on the big screen. It may not have made a difference, but the sing-along version of Frozen was playing at the same time so it ended up being only me and my parents (whom I had dragged along) watching the film. It was very slightly cropped at the top and bottom (probably like 1:45:1 instead of 1:37:1), but it was still a breathtaking experience and a reminder of why a big screen in a dark room will always have a bigger impact than even some wonderful Ultra-HD home theatre system. I was almost sobbing by the time it got to the "Ave Maria" section.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Yes. the Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria was particularly thrilling on the big screen. It's understandably hard for some to appreciate the stillness of Ave Maria after NoBM, but that very stillness almost brought me to tears. The concept is so much more sophisticated than anything else Walt or his company have ever done.