Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Hand-Drawn Animation Dead at Disney

Post by Kyle »

2Disney4Ever wrote:Or course with the kind of reputation people today have for reviving older beloved franchises and how they go about doing it, that can either turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing (glares at Disney for wanting their DuckTales reboot to be CGI and for putting today's Mickey Mouse cartoons in the hands of cheap hacks who don't know what good 2D drawing looks like :glare:).
So...like any idea for a movie/series ever? A revival has about as much of a chance of being good as a new idea.

We haven't even seen the CGI duck tales yet. As for the mickey shorts, I'm not going to open that can of worms again except to say plenty of people like them.

Anyway, I am disappointed to hear the nicktoons thing likely isn't happening, but yes, I did see that about the other possible revivals. I'm mainly interested in seeing Hey Arnold back so we can finally get that jungle movie we were promised.

I don't think we need to see rugrats return, the later seasons weren't well received, not to mention the all grown series. I'm not even sure the current Klasky Csupo would be capable of doing it now. is a shadow of its former self. I would like to see angry beavers back. I just loved the slapstick and voicework in that series.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Veteran Disney animator Dale Baer exposes the rift between CG and 2D animators and reveals how 2D animators are really being treated at the studio. Very saddening and disappointing. It's not the first time this type of attitude has been reported at Disney (see here). It's bad enough they don't give the handful of 2D animators left anything to do, they're also very hostile and contemptuous towards them and their skills (remember when they called Eric Goldberg a hammy actor or when they compared 2D animation to Vaudevillian acting?) Shameful.
Q: Thanks so much for actually meeting up with me because I know you’re super busy.

Dale Baer: Not really.

Q: Well, the last email you sent me [said] you’ve got two or three meetings a day.

Dale Baer: Yeah, there’re meetings but there’re nothing. It’s not like I’m trying to get a bunch of work done in-between because there isn’t anything to do right now.

Q: No? You’re on some downtime?

Dale Baer: Yeah, pretty much. It’s been downtime for a long time.

Q: Aren’t you doing some tests or something?

Dale Baer: No. We were.

Q: Meetings?

Dale Baer: Not even meetings in the animation-end of things. It’s just meetings I have on the outside with people like you. So, there you go.
Source: http://www.toontalkspodcast.com/?p=483
Dale Baer wrote:[After The Princess and the Frog], some of us were thinking we’re going to have to go on Rapunzel, which became Tangled, so a lot us thought “OK, I guess we’re going back to CG”. So, we all started doing tests on it. But the whole atmosphere of the CG people sort of changed. They became a bit more protective of their little “area” and they really didn’t like us being there. So, we were getting the message before we got into it too deep and finally Winnie the Pooh showed up so we all jumped ship and went over to Winnie the Pooh. But after that things changed. They went more CG. They wanted to use us more in the development-end of things. But I was finding a little resistance there. They asked us to do motion tests on characters to see how the characters could move. So, we would do that. But then it got to the point where nobody was asking us to do anything. We would go in and ask “Is there anything you want us to do?” and they’d say “No, not right now”. So, I went to another gentleman by the name of Bill Schwab who is in character development and started picking up some stuff from him. But it becomes that piecemeal. You’re not really finding a niche there anymore. You’re not finding a lot of collaboration that much anymore which is kind of sad. One of the successful films they did was Tangled because Glen Keane came in and did draw-overs over almost every single shot and pushed the characters, pushed their dialogue, pushed their poses. They even brought in people to sculpt the characters so you could get a more artistic-looking design to it (straights against curves).

Once we started on Moana here they asked us for our input. “We really want your input”, they told us, to me and Mark Henn, and we went “Sure, no problem”. So, we went back and we started doing tests for everything and they were kind of skeptical of our critiques for it and then they were hesitant on asking for help on other areas of it and then when we would go to dailies... Now dailies is a place you go to speak up but on Moana we started going to dailies and speaking up and all of a sudden I’m called in – and I know the other guys were called in at various times – and told not to speak, not to say anything because it was the [CG] animators’ time with the directors. We were told we could speak if we want to go to rounds but the directors aren’t there so we’re up against the other animators and I don’t think they would have agreed with some of our thoughts. So, I started doing drawings instead. I would go back, I’d see something, I’d go back and find the scene and I’d do a printout and I’d do a draw-over and I’d put it on the animator’s desk. But then I was called in and told “You’re bombarding the animators with drawings and they don’t like it”. So, a lot of us just stopped going to dailies, we stopped really involving ourselves. I would find more satisfaction doing character development stuff with Bill Schwab and doing character poses and ideas of how this character could move, what kind of expression is this character going to have, what kind of costumes is it going to have but then things started to die down. I know there’s a lot of reworking on the story and stuff like that but it just doesn’t feel like you have a place there like you used to, when you had a character that you owned, and you had a crew and you could go through and really feel involved in this picture. Now, it’s not like that anymore. It’s like there’s a separation there. I don’t know what it is exactly but I know there are a lot of things the directors are missing when they see a CG test. I know John Musker would always say “We’re 2D guys and we’re not seeing this, and we’re not seeing that”. I think at one point I even offered to do a class on just what it is I think John’s missing but that hasn’t happened and I don’t know if it will. [...] There're some things they can't do yet like hair [in CG tests] and that sometimes is what sells the scene (or a piece of fabric on them or a grass skirt on them). You're trying to set a mood sometimes with certain things and if you can't do it... That's got to frustrate John and Ron a little bit because they're used to seeing ideas on paper right off the bat. You may not have all the eye blinks or all the dialogue but you got the main body language working for you.

[...] I hope [2D animation] comes back to life. Right now, I haven't even seen any [2D] shorts coming out of [the studio] either. We were doing quite a few there for a while and all of a sudden it just stopped.
Source: http://www.toontalkspodcast.com/?p=483
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

As Ive stated before, I always felt that part of the anti-2d nature of the current studio had as much to do with the CGI animators coming in and wanting to own the place and forming a rift b/w them and the hand drawn animators as much as it being a financial thing. The more CGI dependent the studio becomes the more chances they and their CGI fellow animators have of staying employed. And the top brass will more likely listen and give the perks to the CGI artists than the 2d ones. Sad.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

unprincess wrote:As Ive stated before, I always felt that part of the anti-2d nature of the current studio had as much to do with the CGI animators coming in and wanting to own the place
I agree. But it's more the management's fault for allowing that mentality to form (especially asking 2D animators not to speak at meetings, WTF?). I wouldn't be surprised if the very few 2D animators they employ are only there so people like Lasseter can give their BS "2D animation still has its place at Disney!" responses.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Glen Keane draws Ariel in 3D space

https://vimeo.com/138790270
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

The way 2D artists are being treated by today's management makes me sick. Remind me again why I should still give the Disney studio and their CG movies praise when this is what's going on behind-the-scenes?

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

You know that comment about 2D animation being just "more vaudeville" makes me a little sad that that's how it's viewed and makes me wish more and more people nowadays would see this. It's not a Disney production, but it is just a reminder of how not only 2D animation, but family entertainment in general used to be:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9KpobX9J8[/youtube]
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Tristy wrote:You know that comment about 2D animation being just "more vaudeville" makes me a little sad that that's how it's viewed and makes me wish more and more people nowadays would see this. It's not a Disney production, but it is just a reminder of how not only 2D animation, but family entertainment in general used to be:

I still remember The Snowman. Such a beautifully artistic looking piece of childhood animation, even today.

If they remade it now, I would guarantee that it would be CGI. After all, people today need to see every friggin piece of realistic detail in the snow like the snowman in Frozen!

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

2Disney4Ever wrote:The way 2D artists are being treated by today's management makes me sick. Remind me again why I should still give the Disney studio and their CG movies praise when this is what's going on behind-the-scenes?
Because how do you know you don't like them unless you try them? Secondly, no offense, but from the way you talk, it's like you're some kind of bitter, immature biased person acting like a spoiled brat who got denied ice cream.

I'm sorry, but you're acting like a Debby Downer.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

He was lying when he called a "truce" not that long ago.

I'd block him, but then I'd still have to shift past responses to his autistic outbursts. :glare:
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Semaj wrote:He was lying when he called a "truce" not that long ago.

I'd block him, but then I'd still have to shift past responses to his autistic outbursts. :glare:
I wasn't lying when I wrote it.

I guess as long as Disney is the way that it is today, I'm always going to have conflict here. I don't know how I can even be part of a Disney group anymore if I'm so against what they are today and the things they do now. I wish I had joined this forum in the early 00's or something when Disney animation was still what it was supposed to be.

Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

2Disney4Ever wrote:
Semaj wrote:He was lying when he called a "truce" not that long ago.

I wasn't lying when I wrote it.

I guess as long as Disney is the way that it is today, I'm always going to have conflict here. I don't know how I can even be part of a Disney group anymore if I'm against what they do now.
Then just leave already. You were LYING the second you called it a "truce".

I'm really starting to lose my patience. We should not have to deal with your whining just because you "can't help it". All it's doing is making YOU look foolish, and it's ultimately working against what you claim to be defending.

Again, I don't buy the bullshit "I can't help it" excuse. If you KNOW you're being a pain in the ass, you already know what the fucking problem is!
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Yeah well, maybe it isn't just me that's the problem here but also all of YOU. The way I see it, Disney isn't what it should be anymore because CGI CORRUPTED THEM, just as it's corrupted our culture and every member on this forum who dare believes that the stuff coming out of Disney today is good. THAT'S why I never get along with anyone here! Nobody here truly understands anymore what Disney animation is meant to be but me. Not even Disney themselves.

You still claim to love "Disney animation", but you're all clueless, brainwashed fools who have fallen for these CG movies and the whole 2D-killing agenda behind them, "Hook, Line, and SUCKER!". If you believe those movies are good, you're believing a LIE!

Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

2Disney4Ever wrote:Remind me again why I should still give the Disney studio and their CG movies praise when this is what's going on behind-the-scenes?
If you don't want to, you don't have to. Why not just ignore them, and move on to things that you do enjoy? Life is too short to worry about things that you don't like. Besides, your gripe is with the general public, not with people on this forum (who represent a tiny minority of the general public).

I will say this about CG, I don't care for it to be used for special effects in live action.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

2Disney4Ever wrote:Yeah well, maybe it isn't just me that's the problem here but also all of YOU. The way I see it, Disney isn't what it should be anymore because CGI CORRUPTED THEM, just as it's corrupted our culture and every member on this forum who dare believes that the stuff coming out of Disney today is good. THAT'S why I never get along with anyone here! Nobody here truly understands anymore what Disney animation is meant to be but me. Not even Disney themselves.

You still claim to love "Disney animation", but you're all clueless, brainwashed fools who have fallen for these CG movies and the whole 2D-killing agenda behind them, "Hook, Line, and SUCKER!". If you believe those movies are good, you're believing a LIE!
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

2Disney4Ever wrote:Yeah well, maybe it isn't just me that's the problem here but also all of YOU. The way I see it, Disney isn't what it should be anymore because CGI CORRUPTED THEM, just as it's corrupted our culture and every member on this forum who dare believes that the stuff coming out of Disney today is good. THAT'S why I never get along with anyone here! Nobody here truly understands anymore what Disney animation is meant to be but me. Not even Disney themselves.

It seems to me all this forum does is agitate you because we can't all agree with you 100%. The personal attacks are out of order.
If this forum causes you such strong feelings of anger and distress then I suggest taking yourself away from it for the good of your mental health. It's acting as a trigger for your dissatisfaction and anxieties and I really think you need to cut yourself off. All this forum seems to do is keep you in a cycle of dwelling on your negative feelings towards CGI and the Disney company of today. I assume you continue to post here because it gives you a sense of control that maybe you might eventually change Disney's mind.

I hope you can detach from this forum and find a hobby or interest that actually makes you happy and brings you pleasure. This is not it. This forum does not bring you pleasure so why keep fighting it and us? Life is too short to focus so intensely on something that makes you highly miserable.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

MeerkatKombat wrote:

It seems to me all this forum does is agitate you because we can't all agree with you 100%. The personal attacks are out of order.
If this forum causes you such strong feelings of anger and distress then I suggest taking yourself away from it for the good of your mental health. It's acting as a trigger for your dissatisfaction and anxieties and I really think you need to cut yourself off. All this forum seems to do is keep you in a cycle of dwelling on your negative feelings towards CGI and the Disney company of today. I assume you continue to post here because it gives you a sense of control that maybe you might eventually change Disney's mind.

I hope you can detach from this forum and find a hobby or interest that actually makes you happy and brings you pleasure. This is not it. This forum does not bring you pleasure so why keep fighting it and us? Life is too short to focus so intensely on something that makes you highly miserable.
Agreed. :thumb: A lot of the people here, even those who are very pro-2D and who may not be a fan of John Lasseter and Pixar, simply go and see some of Disney's CG films because they're interested in animation in general, whether it's Disney, Pixar, Studio Ghibli, Dreamworks or an independent French filmmaker. What's more, a lot of people are discerning about what they see and won't necessarily go rushing to see a particular film because it's made in a certain medium - it's all a matter of personal preference. Divinity put it well here, in my opinion:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm discriminating towards all movies, animated or live-action. If the movie looks awful, why would I want to support it? I did see Tangled in theaters once, and Frozen several times, BH6 and WIR not at all. And it turned out I didn't like Tangled or BH6 (when I finally saw it), so I'm happy I didn't support those two by buying the films (or seeing BH6 in theaters). Besides, they don't need my support, since they're being made because they rake in the money already. Not throwing away my coins to one of the richest corporations in the world, no thank you. *scampers off with purse clutched to chest*
Personally, I was eager to see The Princess and the Frog and Enchanted, and I have bought (or have had bought for me) many of the older animated classics two or three times on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray. That said, I avoided things like Pooh's Heffalump Movie as I predicted I wouldn't enjoy them. Likewise, I eagerly went to see Tangled and Frozen because I always wanted to see Disney make films of Rapunzel and The Snow Queen (two fairy tales I love) and would have seen them had they been made with hand puppets, and I adore some of Pixar's films a lot. Yet at the same time, I didn't go and see Cars 2, simply because I thought it was made to fuel toy car sales above all, and I certainly avoid many mainstream CG films like Minions as I think they look stupid from the outset.

But in any case, I think you need to reflect on whether you really continue to post on here as you're obviously getting wound up all the time and now you're seemingly attacking everybody who posts here simply because they don't quite fit your philosophy, which I'm afraid to say, is becoming really delusional when you claim we're being brainwashed (a term I wouldn't use lightly). I'm being frank, but sometimes one has to be.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Tristy wrote:You know that comment about 2D animation being just "more vaudeville" makes me a little sad that that's how it's viewed and makes me wish more and more people nowadays would see this. It's not a Disney production, but it is just a reminder of how not only 2D animation, but family entertainment in general used to be:

I seemed to have missed this post but....The Snowman! :D This is the British equivalent to the things like the Charlie Brown Christmas Special or the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials in the USA in that it's played around Christmas every year on Channel 4 (one of Britain's main channels) and is really iconic and widely loved. It is quite wistful in parts, but it was a part of my childhood and many other people's too. I do worry in general that mainstream animated films and family films in general are too geared these days towards selling toys. There always have been and always will be stinkers, but it seems concerning that there's so much commercialisation before worthy content nowadays. Things like Planes and the Tinker Bell films were practically made to fuel toy sales and the constant refreshing of older properties and franchises seems more like brand mentality, however good the films may be. If I had children, I'd be discerning about what they watched and would try and show them a wider range of suitable films beyond the mainstream crop. Indeed, I've been planning on getting some friends' and relatives' young children some Disney films on DVD or Blu-Ray, but I've also been planning on slipping in some Studio Ghibli and French films on the side. Given how access to films is overall easier and more economical now even compared to when I was a child in the 1990s due to the Internet and falling DVD prices, I'd say it's easy just to get films that may be out of most people's comfort zones. And whatever happens, going out of one's cultural comfort zone now and then is often a good thing. :)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

one of the best things about the Snowman was it wasnt scared to end with a down note . Today animated films dont even like it if kids get bored let alone scared or sad. Everything has to be upbeat or exciting and if there a downbeat it must immediately be preceded by a gag or joke so the kids wont get "traumatized". If there's a quiet moment it must be quickly interrupted by noise or a joke in case the kids start to fidget. Blah! I miss the 80's and early 90's animated films, those films had BALLS!

Actually that's something that bothers me more about animation today than the lack of 2d. Though I too hate that hand-drawn art form is dying, I think the dumbing down of animation storytelling is an even bigger issue...
Agreed. :thumb: A lot of the people here, even those who are very pro-2D and who may not be a fan of John Lasseter and Pixar, simply go and see some of Disney's CG films because they're interested in animation in general, whether it's Disney, Pixar, Studio Ghibli, Dreamworks or an independent French filmmaker. What's more, a lot of people are discerning about what they see and won't necessarily go rushing to see a particular film because it's made in a certain medium - it's all a matter of personal preference. Divinity put it well here, in my opinion:
yep thats me too! although with CGI Im even more discerning. Like for instance I thought Quest for Camelot was crap but I wouldnt mind watching it now and again b/c there's some decent 2d animation in there. On the other hand, nothing will ever get me to watch Minions, no matter how good the CGI is. I wont touch that steaming pile with a 10 foot pole!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Here's some new Glen Keane animation. Wish there was more animation and less live action but cool all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsQ4--X2ls4