The Legacy Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Legacy Collection

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Really? Are the sales low?
We don't know anything. I'm just guessing the numbers aren't huge. That might be why they're going through Intrada, so hopefully it won't matter.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Atlantica: most tracks of the Disneyland set are now on Spotify in the UK and I've listened to parts of it (though not all of it as I intend to get a copy eventually, probably on Amazon Marketplace as the regular Amazon price is too high and I'd rather have a physical copy). I've listened to the Disneyland Paris album on Spotify and wasn't particularly enamoured (mainly due to there being too much parade music, which I don't tend to like), but I really liked what I heard of the Legacy Collection soundtrack. The dark ride suite is particularly enchanting, and surprisingly faithful to the original soundtracks and orchestrations of the films they come from. It doesn't look as though it has as many tracks as the limited edition 50th Anniversary CD set (which I believe was completely exhaustive), but for a realistically priced CD set, it's certainly worth a look.

I'd love for Disney to continue the line and really hope they do. Given Disney's making collectors items hard to get out of the USA, it's also been great that they have been made available in the UK so easily. I've seen a good number of the releases in shops here and a lot of the releases have been available on iTunes and Spotify. There are plenty of films they could produce sets for that have anniversaries next year that have lots of potential. Alice in Wonderland has a load of unused song demos and the Tutti Camarata versions of the songs (which still aren't available on iTunes outside the USA), Beauty and the Beast has lots of song demos by Howard Ashman, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks seems to be out of print (at least in CD form and certainly in the UK).
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:If you don't have any Disneyland music, than this would be a good purchase. How interested you are in the other tracks will depend upon your interest of Disney rides in general, but if you like listening to the music found at Disneylad Paris, you should enjoy the set. The Fantasyland dark ride suite in particular is excellent (and something everyone on this forum would probably like). 10 pounds also doesn't seem like too much for what is physically a 3-CD set.
Thank you so much for advising; I think I will take the plunge after your thoughts. Some of them I really don't know but worth it for the ones I do.
Disney's Divinity

I've been listening to Pocahontas today (haven't got the other two yet). I did have a little problem with the disc 2 holder--very difficult to get it back in. Anyway, does anyone else's copy have a strange bit of scratchiness/static/whateveryoucallit for a moment during the latter half of "I'll Never See Him Again"?

I love this version of "Farewell" and I like "IINKY" (with Judy Kuhn/Mel Gibson) better than I remembered. It's better for me divorced from the scene with the syrupy expressions on the animal characters. I believe this is the first time I've heard the "Just Around the Riverbend" demo? I almost wish the first half were in the film, because it makes much better use of "SatBD" for me (especially Kuhn's transition into the regular "JAtR"). Who's singing with Kuhn in the "IINKY" demo? I like "Different Drummer," although it becomes annoying fast. Love "First to Dance" and "Epiphany."
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Anyway, does anyone else's copy have a strange bit of scratchiness/static/whateveryoucallit for a moment during the latter half of "I'll Never See Him Again"?
Yes! I thought there was something wrong with my disc. So strange to hear on a digital recordng. :?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I I almost wish the first half were in the film, because it makes much better use of "SatBD" for me
I've would've liked a mixture of the fast paced version and the regular version of "Steady As a Beating Drum". I remember seeing a "Behind the scenes"-feature (probably a European version, not the one which appeared on Disney Channel, Laserdisc and DVD) showing the recording of the demo version. Right afterwards, they showed clip of the final version. And personally I found that transition more compelling.
(especially Kuhn's transition into the regular "JAtR").
Agreed. It would've been amazing.
I like "Different Drummer,"
"Different Drummer" is cute, though I personally find too similar to "Just Around the Riverbend". And funny that "First to Dance" has a bit of "Listen With Your Heart".
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

The Disney Music Emporium have updated their website, and they are now offering customers to buy a litho with all of their Legacy Collection CDs! The Pocahontas, Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp, Toy Story and Disneyland releases did not have that option untill now.
http://www.disneymusicemporium.com/the- ... ollection/
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney's Divinity

I got L&tT and The Aristocats yesterday, but it'll take a while to digest those two. I like TA's soundtrack more, actually. The opening theme is nice. The disc 2 of L&tT was actually damaged (apparently whoever put the disc into the right holder had the same problem I did with Pocahontas, and just jammed the disc in when it wouldn't go, it appears...), but I was able to burn the songs without there being any errors, so I probably won't return it. Returning things is such a pain.

I've been mulling over getting Fantasia/MP the past couple of days. I watched Fantasia last night thinking about it... Btw, are there any MP deleted/alternate songs during the story sessions that aren't listed?EDIT: Went ahead and bought them. :P
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Just got The Aristocats. Better than I ever dreamed it would be. Especially enjoyed the complete 6 minute+ recording of Ev'rybody Wants To Be A Cat. Fabulous! Glad to have the studio cast recordings on the second CD. I had that album when I was a child.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I hope and pray that "Hunchback" will join this line. Gosh, I really hope it. "Hunchback" had so many great cues of it's soundtrack which never appeared on the official 1996 soundtrack release.
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I now have 6: The Aristocats, Cinderella, Pocahontas, The Little Mermaid, Fantasia and The Lion King. I'll be getting Lady and the Tramp on Friday and hopefully Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio will have gone on sale by then.

It's really strange that Fantasa's set provides zero context for the 1982 re-recording. It's just there. No liner notes or nothing. I have a book on Fantasia from around 1982 that goes into great detail about it, along with the benefits of digital recording (amusing to read from today's perspective). For 30+ years Disney has pretended it never happened, and now they just put it out there...

The Aristocat's booklet is excellent. So little has been written or filmed about the making of the movie it's wonderful to see something informative done about that. The CDs sound amazing. Really wants me to see what they could do with Robin Hood or The Rescuers.

I'm going to add Babes in Toyland to my wish list so that we can have both the album and soundtrack versions of the songs released, along with George Bruns' complete score.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:It's really strange that Fantasa's set provides zero context for the 1982 re-recording. It's just there. No liner notes or nothing. I have a book on Fantasia from around 1982 that goes into great detail about it, along with the benefits of digital recording (amusing to read from today's perspective). For 30+ years Disney has pretended it never happened, and now they just put it out there...
That's something I noticed as well (along with little mention as to the significance of putting "Peter and the Wolf" as an added bonus). They didn't have to go too in-depth; a paragraph in the notes would have sufficed. In any case, it's just good to have a copy of the Kostal recordings made available again given how long they've been out of print.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Finally got the Pocahontas Legacy Collection CD, and I love it! Alan Menken's score is amazing. (A worthy winner of the Academy Award.) And there are so many beautiful demo recordings and unused songs on this release.

But, however I was really disappointed when I discovered that the reprise version of If I Never Knew You that is included are the short version of the reprise, where Pocahontas and John Smith only singtalk a few words each.

The slightly longer version of the reprise, that included a few more sentences, was much more powerful in my opinion. I wish Disney would have used this version of the reprise in the 10th anniversary edition of the movie. And I wish that they at least would have included that version on this soundtrack release, in addition to the short reprise of the song.

If I Never Knew You (Reprise) Extended:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67V0IQJgEzM

If I Never Knew You (Reprise) Extended storyboard version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnUP20Gmx8I
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Prince Edward wrote:The slightly longer version of the reprise, that included a few more sentences, was much more powerful in my opinion. I wish Disney would have used this version of the reprise in the 10th anniversary edition of the movie.
Agreed. For some reason I found the whole reprise of "If I Never Knew You" more powerful and haunting than the instrumental version being played at the end.
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Actually.. I didn't really like the reprise of If I never Knew You...
It was just too cheesy for me.. In fact.. I would have even cut out the kiss.

I'm assuming the extended version is referring to the parts where Pocahontas is standing and John Smith is being carried to the boat... I am SOOOOO glad that they kept it the way it was. I love love the score queue and the lyrics would have ruined it for me :P
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

taei wrote: I would have even cut out the kiss.
Really?

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I highly disagree. Their final kiss is one of the finest and most passionate kisses ever in a Disney movie. It really serves the movie.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

taei wrote:Actually.. I didn't really like the reprise of If I never Knew You...
It was just too cheesy for me..
Agreed. It's executed awkwardly and disrupts the moment.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Really?

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I highly disagree. Their final kiss is one of the finest and most passionate kisses ever in a Disney movie. It really serves the movie.
Yeah... I wasnt a big fan of it. I thought the look she gives the ship at the end of the movie was as perfect as it can be. It conveyed her feelings properly.. Plus... Awkward lol.
-Brave.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Does anyone else think that they didn't make a lot of copies of Pocahontas? It's sold out Amazon and I don't think they'll ever get it back in stock!

I was planning on buying it this weekend and I don't want to order it from Disney Music Emporium... Plus... I checked on Best Buy's website and it's on backorder for like 3 weeks!
-Brave.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I noticed that Poca and TAristocats were both out-of-stock a couple days after I ordered them (I was debating getting MP and Fantasia at the time, which is why I saw it.). Maybe they don't make more copies until what they've already sent out has sold for films they don't think will sell much...? :? I don't think I've ever seen TLM, TLK, Cinderella, or MP say "out of stock."