Tower of Terror (Remake)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Tower of Terror (Remake)

Post by Disneyphile »

One of Disney's biggest live action franchises came about as the result of one of its theme park rides. In fact, Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Lies is currently filming, the fifth movie in the series, that's due to land in 2017.

Less successful was the film based on The Haunted Mansion, but let's not talk about that one.

Anyway, Disney executives have clearly been having a gander around the firm's theme parks, as they've resurrected plans for a film based on the Tower Of Terror ride. This is the one based in a rickety Hollywood Tower hotel in the 1930s, that in turn is based on The Twilight Zone. You're basically strapped in, sent on a lift up many floors, which them plummets. There's a good two hours of entertainment in that, friends.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/tower-o ... z3i1Ur90Lm
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Re: Tower of Terror movie

Post by Barbossa »

The Gute and Kirsten Dunst gotta eat. :P
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Seriously?! Didn't they do this already back in the 90s? :eyebrow:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

They already made a Haunted Mansion movie in 2003, doesn't stop Guillermo del Toro from producing a new adaptation that completely ignores the earlier film. I think the Twilight Zone connection allows Tower to Terror to be a ride with a number of potential storylines.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Would much rather have them do Tokyo's Tower of Terror. Get a Disney Kingdoms-style Theme Park Cinematic Universe going built around the Society of Explorers and Adventurers.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

FigmentJedi wrote:Would much rather have them do Tokyo's Tower of Terror. Get a Disney Kingdoms-style Theme Park Cinematic Universe going built around the Society of Explorers and Adventurers.
Well, why don't they?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

estefan wrote:They already made a Haunted Mansion movie in 2003, doesn't stop Guillermo del Toro from producing a new adaptation that completely ignores the earlier film. I think the Twilight Zone connection allows Tower to Terror to be a ride with a number of potential storylines.
I doubt Disney would pay CBS for the rights to use "The Twilight Zone" in this case. It's one thing to have a theme park ride, it's another to have a wide release of a movie with merch, home media etc. That's probably why the 1997 TV movie never mentions it.

Tokyo's plotline would be better if they were going to use an existing ride storyline.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

EXCLUSIVE: Armed with a treatment by Big Fish scribe John August, Disney is now looking to hire a screenwriter to give feature treatment to Tower Of Terror, long one of the most popular rides in its theme parks. Jim Whitaker is producing this with August, after he and the A-list writer hatched an idea based on the theme park attraction and the studio sparked to their vision.
http://deadline.com/2015/10/tower-of-te ... 201592331/
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disneyphile wrote:
EXCLUSIVE: Armed with a treatment by Big Fish scribe John August, Disney is now looking to hire a screenwriter to give feature treatment to Tower Of Terror, long one of the most popular rides in its theme parks. Jim Whitaker is producing this with August, after he and the A-list writer hatched an idea based on the theme park attraction and the studio sparked to their vision.
http://deadline.com/2015/10/tower-of-te ... 201592331/
The premise: Five people in a posh hotel take an elevator and disappear after it is hit by lightning.
As how a ToT movie should be. (I never saw the 1997 movie...did it have the same basic plot?)
Sotiris

Re: Tower of Terror (Remake)

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler wrote:So Disney's Tower of Terror remake has been shelved.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 0306011136
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

To be replaced by a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. :P
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Filmmaker John August Shares Look at Art for Scrapped Tower of Terror Movie He Was Working On
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... orking-on/
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I am probably one of the biggest fans of Kirsten Dunst on the planet and yet the original is one of the rare films of hers that I have never watched. Is it any good ?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Scarlett Johansson to Produce and Star in 'Tower of Terror' Movie for Disney
https://collider.com/scarlett-johansson ... ie-disney/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m curious if it will have any connection to the Twilight Zone like the ride does. I’m guessing not, since Disney does not own that property. I can’t remember if the old TV movie did?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Exclusive: Disney Has Cut All Ties And Projects With Scarlett Johansson
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/e ... nsson.html
...thanks to one of our trusted and proven inside sources, we’ve learned that Disney has closed their ties and future projects with Scarlett Johansson. We can count on this meaning that Disney intends to not move forward with the projects they’ve publicly announced, like Tower of Terror.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I find the whole situation with Scarlett so disappointing on Disney’s part. She has every right to sue them, Disney knows that, and they probably could’ve used this project as a way to remedy that.

That being said, I’m skeptical of a feature length film based around the Tower of Terror would really work. At least one based on the attraction in WDW anyway. It seems that the one in DisneySea, for example, has a more fleshed out storyline. I was intrigued to see what Scarlett saw in the project, but I guess now we’ll never know.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Watch Disney make it up to her with a Picasso painting…
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote:Watch Disney make it up to her with a Picasso painting…
:lol:
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Hey, maybe until then, they'll make an animated Black Widow series where she's voiced by Yeardly Smith. :lol: