Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Tangled: The Series

Post by Sotiris »

It has just been announced at the Expo Disney 2015 in São Paulo, Brazil that a TV series based on Tangled will premiere on Disney Junior in 2017. No further details are available as of yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Tangled TV Series in 2017

Post by DisneyFan09 »

That's good :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Ugh. I'll be surprised if it doesn't look hideous.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I'm sure it's a prequel series.

Short haired dolls ain't gonna sell of course. Unless they have some long haired female offspring.

*barf*
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

The only time I ever imagined Tangled becoming a series was if they made an anime mini series.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Since it's premiering on Disney Junior, it must be another preschool show so I'm not expecting much. Here's hoping Menken will return to write the songs (if it's a musical, that is). He did say he was working on "possible projects involving a spin-off from Tangled" so this series may be it.

Interestingly, Zachary Levi, said the following back in 2011. This is must either be an incredible coincidence or Disney has been considering a TV show since then.
Zachary Levi believes we’ll probably see a “Tangled” TV series, an animated one, before we see a sequel.
Source: http://moviehole.net/201135303exclusive ... alk-sequel
Disney's Divinity

I'm not opposed to the idea of a TV series for a Disney film (even if they are inconsequential and, imo at least, non-canon), it's more that 3D almost always looks bad at a low quality. What little I've seen of that Sofia show and the Dreamworks TV series was full of dead-looking characters.

I think it'd be easier for them to make up some explanation for why Rapunzel's blonde hair came back and set it after the film. Otherwise none of the characters could really interact with each other. Unless this will be like those shorts featuring Sebastian and Chef Louie, except with Flynn and Maximus. :lol:
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

They should be doing things like this, like the many companion TV series of the 90s films (some were decent, others not so much). But I agree that the computer animation makes it harder to emulate the feel of the movies with a smaller budget. The animation wasn't as good in TV series like Aladdin and Timon & Pumbaa either, but CG can just look REALLY cheap.

Rapunzel is going to look like straight to video Barbie :/

Adopting a 2D aesthetic with the same characters/worlds would be far more interesting and promising (still done digitally obviously). They could easily do the same thing with Big Hero 6 imo.
LADY Image CLUCK
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Rapunzel has already appeared on Disney Junior in Sofia The First, so maybe she will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_v_PwAa2_8
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

YES! I tweeted Glenn Slater and he confirmed that he and Menken are working on the show!
Q: It has just been announced that a Tangled TV series is in the works. Will you and Alan be writing new songs for the show?

Glenn Slater: We are! And it's going to be amazing - exciting story concept, fantastic character design...and hopefully some great songs, too.
Source: https://twitter.com/SlaterLyrics/status ... 8847932416

Someone else also asked Glenn about the show.
Q: Hi. Is the Tangled TV series going to be a prequel?

Glenn Slater: I can't give out details yet, sadly. But the team is spectacular, and we're really excited about it.
Source: https://twitter.com/SlaterLyrics/status ... 6326640641
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

bruno_wbt wrote:Rapunzel has already appeared on Disney Junior in Sofia The First, so maybe she will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_v_PwAa2_8
Most likely, but she looks way off model.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wonderful that they're making TV shows on their movies again! I hope that it's not styled like Mickey Moue Clubhouse. :huh: I hope it's like anyone in any age can watch it!
Disney's Divinity

That surprises me. Menken didn't have any involvement with the songs in the TLM series, I don't think?

But maybe he was being employed with other Disney projects then, whereas now he's lucky to get this. :headshake: Who knows, the songs in the series could be better than the film soundtrack considering the Byron/Howard aren't involved with this, right?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Wonderful that they're making TV shows on their movies again! I hope that it's not styled like Mickey Moue Clubhouse. :huh: I hope it's like anyone in any age can watch it!
I would've prefered a better look myself, but considering that this is a Disney Junior show, I'll doubt the budget will be good. But at least it could be passable :)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Wonderful that they're making TV shows on their movies again! I hope that it's not styled like Mickey Moue Clubhouse. :huh: I hope it's like anyone in any age can watch it!
I would've prefered a better look myself, but considering that this is a Disney Junior show, I'll doubt the budget will be good. But at least it could be passable :)
I meant story-wise and narration-wise
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm not opposed to the idea of a TV series for a Disney film (even if they are inconsequential and, imo at least, non-canon), it's more that 3D almost always looks bad at a low quality. What little I've seen of that Sofia show and the Dreamworks TV series was full of dead-looking characters.

I think it'd be easier for them to make up some explanation for why Rapunzel's blonde hair came back and set it after the film. Otherwise none of the characters could really interact with each other. Unless this will be like those shorts featuring Sebastian and Chef Louie, except with Flynn and Maximus. :lol:
Sofia's characters are not "dead-looking"! You obviously have never actually watched that great show.

As for this Tangled series, I'm a tad skeptical, because most previous TV shows based on animated features weren't very good, as they were often poorly-written, Flanderized or derailed the characters' personalities and took their complexities away, etc.

But of course the company, fortunately, does not consider them canon (same with the direct-to-video cheapquels). After all, to quote Keith Lapinig, "the department that creates the canon keeps the canon". And since the cheapquels and the TV shows based on films were made by TV Animation and DisneyToon instead of by Walt Disney Animation Studios/Feature Animation, none of the events that transpired in those non-canonical follow-ups are real. (I really wish more people would understand all that, especially the chuckleheads at the Disney Wiki.)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyphilip wrote:As for this Tangled series, I'm a tad skeptical, because most previous TV shows based on animated features weren't very good, as they were often poorly-written, Flanderized or derailed the characters' personalities and took their complexities away, etc.
Really?
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
disneyphilip wrote:As for this Tangled series, I'm a tad skeptical, because most previous TV shows based on animated features weren't very good, as they were often poorly-written, Flanderized or derailed the characters' personalities and took their complexities away, etc.
Really?
Really.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Not really...
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

bruno_wbt wrote:Not really...
Yes, really! Please refrain from arguing with me and being oblivious to reality.:x