Disney bans smoking in future films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Disney bans smoking in future films

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

So for those who haven't heard:

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-b ... ies-2015-3

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/disne ... 201451616/

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... ure-movies

http://www.inquisitr.com/1927258/disney ... oductions/

Now the good news; it's only for future films, Touchstone is not mentioned, and the only exception is for historical figures only like Lincoln. The big concern however to me, is the pre-March 11, 2015 material. It hasn't been mentioned either, so chances are very likely the films and shows will probably remain unaltered, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

P.S. I sent an e-mail to Disney regarding this matter and the pre-2015 films and shows, but still no answer.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney bans smoking in future films

Post by DisneyEra »

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

What are they going to do, edit cigar/cigarette/pipe smoking scenes out of every movie they made now? This stupid censorship thing is getting WAY out of hand! :(
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

DisneyJedi wrote:What are they going to do, edit cigar/cigarette/pipe smoking scenes out of every movie they made now? This stupid censorship thing is getting WAY out of hand! :(
No, I think this is for future films. Besides the small edits in the package features, I think the vast majority of what's been produced will stay the same if released.

I guess I can understand where Iger is coming from, but I don't really see the point. For me, smoking gives a person character. Now, I'm not condoning smoking, but if a character is smoking, that means something. I don't think the presence of a character smoking is saying it's a good thing to smoke. I mean, just walk outside and there's a pretty good chance that you'll see someone smoking, especially in the states where there aren't any laws against smoking on public property.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not sure what to think really. Smoking isn't offensive to me considering I grew up in a family that almost all members of were smokers. That said, I think people would be up in arms to see characters casually smoking marijuana or snorting cocaine in animated films, so maybe it's fair to treat smoking the same way.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Cruella DeVil ABSOLUTELY needs her cigarette, darling. For her it's actually a prop.
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Maybe they can give her an e-cig instead :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

carolinakid wrote:Cruella DeVil ABSOLUTELY needs her cigarette, darling. For her it's actually a prop.
i agree 100%. the scene where shes looking at the photo of pongo and perdita and her smoke frames it... so sinister. it wouldnt have the same impact otherwise. also when pongo slinks away, underneath the smoke.

just thinking about the disney films, i dont recall a single good guy character smoking cigarettes, whereas many of the baddies do. several of the good guys have pipes, but they are more distinguished looking and not often seen in daily life anymore.

studio ghibli has several characters who smoke, but its more as something they do. the same character could just as easily have a cup of coffee instead. its just "there", no big deal.
big kid at heart
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

sunhuntin wrote: just thinking about the disney films, i dont recall a single good guy character smoking cigarettes, whereas many of the baddies do. several of the good guys have pipes, but they are more distinguished looking and not often seen in daily life anymore.
Jose Carioca is constantly seen with a cigar in The Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos. Pinocchio also smokes a cigar in his movie, which is the ultimate anti-smoking PSA (which is why I always found it redundant that the Platinum Edition DVD started with one).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

sunhuntin wrote:studio ghibli has several characters who smoke, but its more as something they do. the same character could just as easily have a cup of coffee instead. its just "there", no big deal.
Well, the scene with the Witch of the Waste smoking in Howl's Moving Castle wouldn't quite be the same if she was just drinking coffee.

The only other characters besides Cruella that immediately jumped to mind for me were Merlin and Basil with their pipes, which adds some character to them, too, just like Cruella. For some reason, smoking seems to be a cliche, quirky way to show a character thinking. As far as the upcoming Cruella--I have zero doubt she will smoke in the film, whatever they say. But that's because that's how she's known.

Then again, they have made Ursula thin before...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

And the blue caterpillar in 'Alice in Wonderland'. I guess he won't be smoking in 'Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass'.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

estefan wrote: Jose Carioca is constantly seen with a cigar in The Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos. Pinocchio also smokes a cigar in his movie, which is the ultimate anti-smoking PSA (which is why I always found it redundant that the Platinum Edition DVD started with one).
i always forget about him... only seen the first movie once years ago. also forgot about pinocchio, though his smoking seems to be more warning against it [smoke and youll turn into a donkey]

also agree about the witch of the waste. she would be about the only ghibli character where the smoking was almost an essential to the character.
big kid at heart
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

sunhuntin wrote:also agree about the witch of the waste. she would be about the only ghibli character where the smoking was almost an essential to the character.
Well, luckily, the Ghibli films cannot be altered without approval from Ghibli itself, so those films are safe.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/