Frozen on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Frozen on Broadway

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The team that will turn Frozen into a stage musical have been warming up a few ideas about getting it into a theatre by 2017.
Kristen Anderson-Lopez and her husband (and song-writing partner) Robert Lopez, who wrote the hit Let It Go (among others), met Jennifer Lee, the film’s writer and co-director; Thomas Schumacher, who heads Disney Theatricals; and Alex Timbers, who directed the recent National Theatre and New York Public Theatre hit show Here Lies Love.
Timbers, who also directed Peter And The Starcatcher for Disney, spent several days having various sessions with the Frozen creative team. Lee is writing the show’s book, working closely with the Lopez duo to shape how the animated film, which has become a phenomenal global hit, can be adapted for the stage.
The Lopezes have already written a couple of new songs for the show. The expectation is that if the right theatre — and, presumably, the right climate — can be found, then Frozen could be up, ready and skating into a Broadway theatre the year after next.
The film featu

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z3RaeUmyFu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Frozen the Broadway Musical

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I was thinking of additional songs they could write... And, honestly, I can imagine reprises to most of the main songs. For instance, I can see at least two reprises to "Let It Go"--a melancholy one following Anna's visit to Elsa's ice palace, where Elsa laments the fact that she can't "let it go," and an euphoric one at the very end celebrating the fact that she doesn't have to "let it go" leading into a happy ending reprise of "DYWtBaS?" I'd love a reprise to "Love Is An Open Door" with Hans/Anna in the scene where Hans reveals himself, ending with him sealing the metaphorical door. Also, a melancholy reprise to "FtFTiF" when Anna is at the fireplace after Hans has left her.

The only all-out new songs I can think of that they could add would be for Kristoff and Hans? Perhaps they could give Anna a solo song in the middle of her travel up the mountain, maybe to signal the romantic tension between her and Kristoff (and comparing it to how she met Hans). It's hard to imagine what else they could write for Olaf.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I was thinking of additional songs they could write... And, honestly, I can imagine reprises to most of the main songs. For instance, I can see at least two reprises to "Let It Go"--a melancholy one following Anna's visit to Elsa's ice palace, where Elsa laments the fact that she can't "let it go," and an euphoric one at the very end celebrating the fact that she doesn't have to "let it go" leading into a happy ending reprise of "DYWtBaS?" I'd love a reprise to "Love Is An Open Door" with Hans/Anna in the scene where Hans reveals himself, ending with him sealing the metaphorical door. Also, a melancholy reprise to "FtFTiF" when Anna is at the fireplace after Hans has left her.

The only all-out new songs I can think of that they could add would be for Kristoff and Hans? Perhaps they could give Anna a solo song in the middle of her travel up the mountain, maybe to signal the romantic tension between her and Kristoff (and comparing it to how she met Hans). It's hard to imagine what else they could write for Olaf.
I was just talking about this with my one other Disney loving friend and we both brought up how a reprise of "Love is an Open Door" would fit perfectly in that scene. Also they could go the darker route and have Olaf actually melt trying to save Anna and have him be part of an accompanying song (possibly a FTFTIF reprise) and then have Elsa recreate him during the final DYWTBAS? reprise. Other than giving him another funny song I don't see how else they could work him in musically.

I think it likely the Duke of Weaseltown will get a number. Oaken too. I think the first act will have to be drastically extended to have "Let It Go" be the intermission number (I can't see any other song closing the first act) so I expect expanded childhood scenes possibly involving the King and Queen as well. I think we may get to see Elsa discover her powers, and possibly learn a bit about Hans' life before he arrives in Arendale, Kristoff's too.
Miss Manday
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Manday »

I'm so excited for this... and for new songs! There really are so many places for great new songs and reprises. I'm looking back at a list I made on my own Disney forum... and in addition to a "Love Is An Open Door" Hans reveal reprise as you mentioned, along with the finale number that the movie really needs, I had imagined some sort of short, fun little ditty between Kristoff and Anna in the sled, when they are discussing "you can't marry a man you just met". Yet at the same time, it would be fun to see him not really sing REAL songs until the end as he progresses as a character. (kind of like Robert in Enchanted) Maybe everything is speak-sing or Reindeers style until the end? But that kind of limits poor Kristoff.

Also, I really wish there was a way to re-introduce "Life's Too Short" and it's reprise. I love both of those numbers so much, and they really capture sibling feuds/feelings well.
admin of Mouse Ears // find me on Moviepilot!
Image Image Image
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

A long while back, somebody did write out an outline for how they hope Frozen would be as a Broadway show.

Source: http://bkybarnes.tumblr.com/post/711877 ... frozen-the
MMKAY. So this idea is something I’ve been toying around with in my head a lot. Like a lot. Because the style of all the songs in Frozen are PERFECT to be staged and just UGH HEAR ME OUT:
obviously opens with the choir which will serve as an overture. which we won’t see, but the stage will set up and the curtains open up to a gorgeous mountain set, in which the mens chorus will come in singing “Frozen Heart”
scene change to Anna and Elsa, and first glimpse of Elsa’s powers because hOW COOL WOULD THAT BE ON STAGE
there are so many FREAKING AWESOME THINGS that are possible on Broadway and Elsa’s powers would be perfect
And then obvs. they’d go to the trolls
Because there’s so much traveling in the beginning narrative here’s how I see it:
The men singing Frozen Heart will also narrate the events between Anna and Elsa and their trip to the trolls, including the memory wipe.
So it’s more like a storybook opening then anything else idk but they could sing the whole opening? omg yes that’d be perfect. Think Beauty and the Beast opening prologue, except sung by husky hunky ice harvesters + little Kristoff solo cause we need a little Kristoff solo up in there.
okay so
Finally the plot starts rolling with Do You Wanna Build A Snowman
Think “I Know It’s Today” esque transitions with Anna and Elsa growing up. There’d have to be some sort of narrative liberty with their parents so the audience gets it but you know whatever.
And then that transitions into “For The First Time in Forever”
Then there’s the coronation scene, which I’m thinking either needs to be blended with the ballroom scene or just cut based on the way things need to flow with scene changes and stuff. But cause that’s an important development, I’m just gonna say it’s blended together with the Ballroom scene, which is basically as-is, including Hans to the rescue blah blah, and then they run off to sing Love is an Open Door
They come back and Elsa freaks out and runs off
Scene changes again and suddenly Elsa’s on a near empty stage
(YOU GUYS THIS IS WHAT I AM MOST EXCITED FOR)
(IN MY HEAD AT LEAST)
Using Broadway stage magic, she begins to build her ice castle while singing Let It Go, the set appears around her and snow and just bROADWAY MAGIC ugh it would be SO PERFECT plus hello? It’s already totally a broadway anthem.
I’m thinking of skipping the whole “I’m going after my sister” scene back in Arendelle and going straight to Oakens, where Anna comes in and explains to Oaken, “Well, you see, my sister—-the queen—-well she accidentally froze everything and now I have to find her and tell her to come back and while I’m gone I put Prince Hans of the Southern Isles in charge—-” Oaken interrupts, “Who is that?” Ana is all, “Well… I mean, I guess I don’t actually know, I mean, we just met, but well, we’re in love and we’re getting married—-” Oaken interrupts again, “Wait, you just met?” At which point KRISTOFF COMES INSIDE.
And the whole Anna buying his reindeer treats ect. happens in Oaken’s store instead of outside to keep up with the flow of the story and they both exit together to head up the mountain.
I’ve bucked over the idea of Sven in my head and I don’t know exactly how to get a reindeer on stage? Especially because Kristoff talks for him the whole time. So I’m thinking about doing War Horse meets Avenue Q style puppets, so the actor playing Kristoff controls the puppet and talks for it? Or maybe just cutting Sven out. But that makes me sad, because I love Sven.
And obviously we can’t cut Olaf out, he would definitely have to be a puppet, but Avenue Q style for sure, so that the actor playing him can still be seen. How funny would it be to see Josh Gad actually BEING Olaf? PERFECTION.
So Anna and Kristoff begin their journey up the mountain (I’m thinking rotating stage, so they’re walking but not going anywhere. I can’t remember what show I saw that in.) This is where he’d sing Reindeer(s) are better than People, to Anna, instead of to himself.
And then they meet Olaf who sings “In Summer” (which would be quite hilarious on Broadway and hopefully expanded to include more tap dancing by his back-up Sand snowmen. Sandmen?)
They reach Elsa’s ice palace and she and Anna sing the “For The First Time In Forever (Reprise)” ending with an epic ice blast to Anna’s heart, which is where I think we’d cut to Intermission. (*side note, I almost kind of want it to be different from the movie in where Elsa is a bit meaner and more cold, like in some of the demos. Just because you can explore a bit more of her character on stage)
For sake of movement and such, I think we’d cut the giant Marshmallow out altogether because that’s hard to translate on stage and also it’s a giant murderous snowman? So Elsa would just use her ice powers to kick Anna, Kristoff, and Olaf out and that’s where we’d BLACKOUT to Intermission
(everyone goes and gets snacks and comes back)~~~~~~
I’m thinking Act II could open up with back in Arendelle, an “At The End of the Day”-esque ensemble number of how everyone is doing, that’s actually pretty upbeat and led by Hans who is starting to drive a wedge between the people and the Princesses (he’ll say stuff like, “Anna hasn’t returned/Will she ever return?” and stuff.) Let’s call that number “Really, Really Cold”. At the end of which Hans announces he’s going to look for Anna and Elsa.
And then scene changes to Anna who is pacing and freaking out because she thought that talking to her sister would help. Cue: Kristoff’s comment on her hair and that whole scene. They head to the trolls.
And then we get the GLORIOUS number that is “Fixer-Upper” which would be so fun on stage.
Now, Fixer-Upper was the last song in the movie but because this is a Broadway Musical this is where I come in and get creative with the last couple of songs.
Anna passes out, Kristoff carries her off to bring her back to her “True Love” Hans. (Depends on whether or not Sven is in the show, but Kristoff might actually just kind of carry her the whole way? Or maybe in his sled that was never destroyed because that scene was cut)
Scene change to the scene where Hans attacks Elsa and the audience starts to wonder about him for the first time.
Back to Kristoff with Anna in his sled, he’s rushing back to the kingdom, but he sings to sleeping Anna about his feelings, “Maybe I Don’t Want To Be Alone” (or something along those lines, it’s the song the Lopez’ were talking about in their commentary, GUYS, Kristoff almost had a song here!)
They reach the kingdom, there’s the heartbreaking scene where he gives Anna back to the people and after the doors close in his face, he’ll sing a couple more notes sadly, then leave.
Then we’ll show Elsa captured, and after Hans leaves, Elsa sings a reprise of “Let It Go” as she breaks out of her chains. Then, in another part of the castle, Anna begs Hans for her kiss and he turns evil (finally). However, now he sings a reprise of Love Is An Open Door to Anna that’s dark and condescending and the perfect villain song that Santino never got to sing, and leaves Anna.
I love the idea of Olaf coming in and singing a short sweet lullaby to Anna while she’s by the fire about “True Love” where he’ll actually sing, “Some people are worth melting for” as well as he’ll sing about Kristoff being her true love, after which he spots Kristoff coming down the mountain, which is where she gets up and escapes to find Kristoff.
And then the climax, the Fjord. There’s a sick awesome onstage blizzard happening and all the characters are onstage at different points. I think it would be cool to put a song here too, with Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Hans all singing about the different things that they want (For Anna it’s to find Kristoff, Kristoff it’s Anna, Hans it’s Elsa, Elsa it’s freedom). So they’re all singing at the same time in different places on the Fjord. Think kind of along the lines of “If Only” from the Little Mermaid broadway musical.
Then the whole scene happens with Anna saving Elsa like she does in the movie, and freezing. Except I want to keep in the part where Kristoff punches Hans and knocks him out after Anna is frozen.
Then we get a heartbreaking reprise of “Do You Wanna Build A Snowman” by Elsa
And then using cool broadway tech, everything melts and it’s all mushy gooey love.
And then to wrap it up, a scene in the courtyard like in the end of the movie, where Elsa uses her powers and isn’t afraid. But before that, Anna starts to sing to Kristoff a reprise of “Maybe I Don’t Want To Be Alone” to his embarrassment, because he thought she was passed out but she remembers it all. Then they get the whole awkward “May we? May I?” and they kiss.
Then the whole cast sings a finale, led by Anna and Elsa who sing together and everyone lives happily ever after!
ACT I
Scene 1: Mountains of Arendelle, middle of winter.
+ “Frozen Heart/Prologue” Ice Harvesters & Little Kristoff
Scene 2: Int. Castle, Arendelle, over the space of many years.
+ “Do You Wanna Build A Snowman?” Anna & Elsa
Scene 3: Arendelle, 3 years later.
+ “For The First Time In Forever” Anna & Elsa
+ “Love Is An Open Door” Hans & Anna
Scene 4: The Mountains above Arendelle
+ "Let It Go" Elsa
Scene 5: Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post (And Sauna)
Scene 6: The Mountains Above Arendelle
+ “Reindeer(s) are Better than People” Kristoff
+ “In Summer” Olaf & Chorus
Scene 7: Elsa’s Ice Palace
+ “For The First Time In Forever (Reprise)” Anna & Elsa
INTERMISSION
ACT II
Scene 8: Arendelle Main Courtyard
+ “Really, Really Cold” Hans, The Duke of Wesleton, and Company
Scene 9: Outside Elsa’s Ice Palace
Scene 10: The Troll Valley
+ “Fixer Upper” Trolls
Scene 11: Elsa’s Ice Palace
Scene 12: The Mountains Above Arendelle to Castle
+ “Maybe I Don’t Want To Be Alone” Kristoff
Scene 13: Arendelle Castle, Int.
+ “Let It Go (Reprise)” Elsa
+ “Love Is An Open Door (Reprise)” Hans
+ “True Love” Olaf
Scene 14: The Frozen Fjord
+ “Calling Out” Anna, Kristoff, Hans, and Elsa 
+ “Do You Wanna Build A Snowman (Reprise)” Elsa
Scene 15: Arendelle Courtyard
+ “Maybe I Don’t Want To Be Alone (Reprise)” Anna & Kristoff
+ “Finale” Anna, Elsa & Ensemble
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I actually see the whole show without Olaf. Completely unnecessary. And In Summer isn't a sad cut. AT ALL. It'll be actually sad if they keep this instead of expanding good numbers and instead of creating new ones.
Sven... don't really have an opinion. But I prefer he being cut out instead of doing puppetry. Again.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

rodrigo_ca wrote:I actually see the whole show without Olaf. Completely unnecessary. And In Summer isn't a sad cut. AT ALL. It'll be actually sad if they keep this instead of expanding good numbers and instead of creating new ones.
Sven... don't really have an opinion. But I prefer he being cut out instead of doing puppetry. Again.
There is no way they are going to get rid of Olaf. He's such a beloved character, and plus, his musical number is one of the best in the movie.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Sicoe Vlad wrote: There is no way they are going to get rid of Olaf. He's such a beloved character, and plus, his musical number is one of the best in the movie unnecessary filler to pad out the second act.
FTFY

But seriously, Olaf's song is completely unnecessary in context of the story. Maybe it could work if the musical makes Olaf representory of Elsa's lost childhood, and his love for summer is Elsa's desire to feel warmth. Like, we actually see her build Olaf with a bit of nostalgia, and that feeling is what makes him.

I dunno, I'm making things up. But in the movie itself, personally, I didn't like "In Summer."
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Warm Regards wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote: There is no way they are going to get rid of Olaf. He's such a beloved character, and plus, his musical number is one of the best in the movie unnecessary filler to pad out the second act.
FTFY

But seriously, Olaf's song is completely unnecessary in context of the story. Maybe it could work if the musical makes Olaf representory of Elsa's lost childhood, and his love for summer is Elsa's desire to feel warmth. Like, we actually see her build Olaf with a bit of nostalgia, and that feeling is what makes him.

I dunno, I'm making things up. But in the movie itself, personally, I didn't like "In Summer."

I don't think it's unnecessary 100%. He sings about his love of summer, how he never experienced it, and how much he'd enjoy it. I still think it's one of the best numbers in the movie, because it's so much fun and Broadway-esque. But that's just my opinion.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I actually agree with Sicoe. When you come down to it, Olaf is really, really unneccesary. Not as bad as the Duke or Oaken, but he doesn't have a point to the movie. Timon & Pumbaa were important because they changed Simba. The Genie is important because he's a part of the story. Ray & Louis are important because they help Tiana & Naveen become human. All what Olaf does was saying catchphrases and funny one-liners. He isn't nearly as bad as the moose from Brother Bear & the gargoyles, but he's just there. The only memorable parts to him are the "Some People are Worth Melting for" scene, "In Summer" & the ice palace scene. The rest is just funny lines. I still don't mind him & enjoy him. He is charming with his innocence, sweetness, and humor (He has great lines), but he's just not the best Disney sidekick and if you remove him from the musical, the show goes along just fine.
Disney's Divinity

I don't see Olaf as unnecessary. He embodies the sisterhood between Anna and Elsa. I never minded "In Summer." While it isn't connected to Elsa or Anna's story, in a way it's the character's "I want" song. :lol: Plus, I found it funny, even if not a standout.

Regardless, there's no way they're going to cut Olaf so don't get your hopes up. :P
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I actually agree with Sicoe. When you come down to it, Olaf is really, really unneccesary.

... and if you remove him from the musical, the show goes along just fine.
Disneyprincess, how dare you. Olaf is, in a way or two, necessary. He helped Anna and Kristoff find Elsa and even literally unlocked the door to help keep Anna warm and to get out of the castle to get to Kristoff. Plus, he's a walking, talking representation of Elsa and Anna's relationship and, in a way, helps mend their relationship by reminding them they were so close as kids.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I actually agree with Sicoe. When you come down to it, Olaf is really, really unneccesary.
I was saying the exact opposite of what you just said. :lol: :lol: Unless you agree with me, but have that opinion as well.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I would love for him to be cut out as well - find him a total irritant and too much of Disney thinking 'we can make a plush out of him' - but he never would be as Disney love him too much. And plus, there isn't really any need to remove him; his song perhaps (one of the most awful Disney have ever produced), but not the character himself.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I honestly think that Olaf isn't as popular as Disney wants us to think he is. Elsa is the reason people gravitate to the movie, not Olaf.
Disney's Divinity

Avaitor wrote:I honestly think that Olaf isn't as popular as Disney wants us to think he is. Elsa is the reason people gravitate to the movie, not Olaf.
I don't think Disney is making merchandise of him just to sit on shelves and give an impression of popularity. I'm guessing more people prefer Elsa, but not many people that I know dislike Olaf either.

Moreover, I'm not sure Disney should be taking tips for what to do with musical from people who probably wouldn't go to see it anyway. Olaf is not going to be cut, and he shouldn't be. :roll: :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Just announced: Frozen lands on Broadway in spring 2018 with an out-of-town tryout before Broadway in the summer of 2017.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BBlSHxVzJ2x ... enbroadway

Official online destinations for Frozen: The Broadway Musical.

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sotiris wrote:Just announced: Frozen lands on Broadway in spring 2018 with an out-of-town tryout before Broadway in the summer of 2017.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FrozenBroadway
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FrozenBroadway/

Awesome. Now we just need to know where and when auditions will be. Because I am NOT missing this opportunity. :)
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Cue "I Hope I Get It" from A Chorus Line. If you're being serious, DisneyJedi, then I wish you good luck.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition