Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Musker & Clements' Moana

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Sounds like they may have found our Moana!
Lino DiSalvo doesn't work for Disney anymore but for Paramount Animation. He was talking about one of his projects there. You just can't catch a break this week. :lol: :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Teach me your ways to find correct information, master :wink: :P
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

:facepalm: :smack: :facepalm:
LADY Image CLUCK
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Lady Cluck wrote::facepalm: :smack: :facepalm:
I thought he was still at Disney! Give me a break!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Randy Haycock and Eric Goldberg are working on Moana.
Q: Do you know if Moana is going to be CGI animated or 2D animated?

Randy Haycock: Moana will be CG. The only 2D will be the exploratory test I and a few other 2D animators are doing.
Source: http://randyhaycock.tumblr.com/post/110 ... i-animated
Q: You say that most of the 2-D veterans will be helping with the character exploration animations. Out of curiosity, would one of said veterans be Mr. Eric Goldberg?

Randy Haycock: He is doing some 2D tests for Moana. That’s all I can say.
Source: http://randyhaycock.tumblr.com/post/111 ... of-getting
Currently, Goldberg is creating exploratory animation for the upcoming Walt Disney Animations Studio feature, Moana.
Source: http://blogs.indiewire.com/animationsco ... c-20150616
Q: You’ve worked with John Musker and Ron Clements on three other films (Aladdin, Hercules, and The Princess and the Frog). They have Moana coming up. Are you working on that film?

Eric Goldberg: I am working on Moana. I can’t tell you exactly what I’m doing. I can just say exploratory, but I am working on Moana.
Source: http://moviemezzanine.com/interview-eri ... f-aladdin/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

An artist visited WDAS and has drawn what Moana looks like. From what we're seeing from the artist, she's gorgeous!

https://40.media.tumblr.com/671406c47c1 ... 1_1280.jpg

Ok, can someone fix the IMAGES? :|
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Moana
by nicolasammarco

When I visited the Disney studio, walking in the various departments my eyes rested for one second on the monitor in a workstation where was Moana as wallpaper! I could not to focus, I vaguely remember that concept, but I well remember the feeling when I saw it.

DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:An artist visited WDAS and has drawn what Moana looks like. From what we're seeing from the artist, she's gorgeous!

https://40.media.tumblr.com/671406c47c1 ... 1_1280.jpg

Ok, can someone fix the IMAGES? :|
We posted this at the exact same time :lol:
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

She looks a lot like Tiana.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Hi, my name is Nicola Sammarco.
I'm 22 years old from Taranto, Puglia, Italy.
I work for Walt Disney Company Italy
I'm a character designer -2d animator - illustrator

http://artofnicolasammarco.tumblr.com/p ... osando-nei
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

jazzflower92 wrote:She looks a lot like Tiana.

Yeah, I agree. :| I'm sure it's unintentional. Besides, she'll be CGI, so she'll look like Rapunzel :P

@DisneyErsa :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is nothing more than fan art. It was merely based on a brief glimpse of an official piece that the artist vaguely remembers.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If that is her design, she does look undeniably similar to Tiana. But let's go easy on Disney; they have trouble imagining women with different facial structures and body types. It's like a disorder for them.
disneyprincess11 wrote: Yeah, I agree. :| I'm sure it's unintentional. Besides, she'll be CGI, so she'll look like RapunzelAriel :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lasseter is hyping Moana's supposedly innovative CG technique.
Then there's Moana, the next Musker–Clements production, an old–fashioned, princess–led musical set in the South Pacific. Preparation for the film entailed a two–week trip to Tahiti, immersing themselves in French Polynesian storytelling, sailing the traditional fishing grounds, and experiencing the music and culture first–hand.

What's most intriguing about Moana, though, is its animation style, which is computer–generated but with an almost hand–painted look. If Lasseter's time at Pixar marked the start of an intermediary phase in which digital and traditional animation had their own distinct aesthetics, perhaps his reign at Disney will lead to the once mutually suspicious forms uniting.

"The way this computer animation is created is much more like hand-drawn animation than ever before, and in motion it has that unique feel that hand–drawn Disney animation should," he says. "But it's technically considered a CG film. We are merging worlds."
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/big-her ... interview/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

YES YES YES YES
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Lasseter is hyping Moana's supposedly innovative CG technique.
Then there's Moana, the next Musker–Clements production, an old–fashioned, princess–led musical set in the South Pacific. Preparation for the film entailed a two–week trip to Tahiti, immersing themselves in French Polynesian storytelling, sailing the traditional fishing grounds, and experiencing the music and culture first–hand.

What's most intriguing about Moana, though, is its animation style, which is computer–generated but with an almost hand–painted look. If Lasseter's time at Pixar marked the start of an intermediary phase in which digital and traditional animation had their own distinct aesthetics, perhaps his reign at Disney will lead to the once mutually suspicious forms uniting.

"The way this computer animation is created is much more like hand-drawn animation than ever before, and in motion it has that unique feel that hand–drawn Disney animation should," he says. "But it's technically considered a CG film. We are merging worlds."
Well, I'm not trying to be negative, but they said the same thing about the look of "Tangled". Let's hope they'll actually do it this time.

As for Moana's look; It's not bad, but it's not outstanding either. She looks like a subdued version of Nani from "Lilo & Stitch".
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:Lasseter is hyping Moana's supposedly innovative CG technique.

For goodness' sake, nobody cares about CGI emulating the movement of hand-drawn animation; sure, the less robotic movements the better, but it's the actual "flat" look and warmth of hand-drawn that people miss. I don't understand why they insist so hard on applying cartoony principles like squash and stretch on realistic, 3D objects, and -- to make the whole farce even more ridiculous -- trying to sell it as 'the return of hand-drawn' when it's anything but that.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I don't know if I'm elated or gassy ( :P ), but something tells me that this "fan art" is an official Disney sketch. The artist works for Disney, so it could easily be a leaked art and she just sugarcoat it as "fan art", so she could possibly get away with it. Or maybe Disney gave her permission to post it, but if only she says it's fake. Every time something like this gets leaked like the Anna/Elsa & Big Hero 6 posters, Disney always says that those are fake when it's actually real. Plus, the sketch looks exactly like something that Mark Henn would draw. It looks a little too professional and detailed to be just a sketch. For something that she saw in like a 5-second timeframe, she remembered a LOT of details.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

she looks cute, but nothing really innovative or special...if its fanart though then Ill wait for an official release to make final judgement as it might be an interpretation through the fanartist's style and not 100% accurate.

as for the 2d thing, yeah Ill also wait and see what it looks like before jumping for joy. We've heard this from Lasseter before. To him 2d means squash and stretch and thats it...
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Mooky wrote: For goodness' sake, nobody cares about CGI emulating the movement of hand-drawn animation; sure, the less robotic movements the better, but it's the actual "flat" look and warmth of hand-drawn that people miss. I don't understand why they insist so hard on applying cartoony principles like squash and stretch on realistic, 3D objects, and -- to make the whole farce even more ridiculous -- trying to sell it as 'the return of hand-drawn' when it's anything but that.
Probably because it's way too late now? They still have a few traditional animators at the studios working on test footage, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw away most of their equipment for hand-drawn animation after Winnie the Pooh.

Now, after Frozen, I think that they're realizing that the art style doesn't matter, but the studio's still equipped to produce CGI, and many of their animators are solely computer animators. Rehiring traditional animators and buying new equipment is too much effort, let alone dividing resources between CGI and hand-drawn films. They tried to do it for Princess and the Frog, and apparently it didn't work out well. They don't want to waste time and money trying again.

From a business perspective, I definitely understand. Heck, even from an artistic perspective, I'm happy that they're trying to innovate with what they have, even if I don't agree with the whole "canning traditional animation forever because we put a shorter film with a preschool character up against the finale of 2nd biggest movie franchise of all time" thing, but I guess that's in the past. Disney executives are just noticing mistakes way too late. Besides, the Paperman faux-2D was great, and had a lot more texture, vivid lighting, and depth than--*gasp*-- it would have if it was hand-drawn. CGI has its positives too. However, that doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if Moana looks nothing like Lasseter's promising.
Last edited by Tangled on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.