Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Musker & Clements' Moana

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Yeah, I was going to say: Disney is having a knack of making the same characters over and over again. :roll: At least, Wreck-It Ralph was different (2 sets of buddies & lots of secondary characters) and then, Giants might be much more diverse (The usual: 2 male buddies, love interest, a prince to make a love triangle, possibly the cow for the animal sidekick, but then a group of villains and a female warrior, plus the harp if she/he gets in?)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm just grateful the sidekicks haven't been annoying in the newest films. They're unspeaking or at least calmed down so they aren't irritating loudmouths. Sidekicks are just part of the formula for animated films, better or worse. It's not just Disney.

Not sure what to think about Maui. Sounds a bit like something from Hercules.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Congrats to this girl: She got a callback!

http://mauinow.com/2015/01/10/maui-girl ... eys-moana/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaY20n1BWs0[/youtube]
So did this girl:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxrflXxZcZE[/youtube]
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

DisneyEra wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Congrats to this girl: She got a callback!

http://mauinow.com/2015/01/10/maui-girl ... eys-moana/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaY20n1BWs0[/youtube]
So did this girl:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxrflXxZcZE[/youtube]
She's PERFECT! :up: :up: :up:

http://khon2.com/2015/01/14/oahu-teen-g ... eys-moana/
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

The first girl is great...

I didn't like the second performer as much because I don't think her voice is unique enough for a Disney princess.

One of the main reasons why Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas, and Elsa sing my favorite disney songs is because their voices are so unique. It's not a voice that you can find anywhere and that is what I want from Moana.
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

I highly doubt any of these youtube auditions will win the role. I'll be beyond furious if they do.
LADY Image CLUCK
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Lady Cluck wrote:I highly doubt any of these youtube auditions will win the role. I'll be beyond furious if they do.
Better than Selena Gomez or any other pop star/Disney Channel star. It's great that they're giving a random girl a chance to make her dreams come true.
taei wrote:The first girl is great...

I didn't like the second performer as much because I don't think her voice is unique enough for a Disney princess.

One of the main reasons why Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas, and Elsa sing my favorite disney songs is because their voices are so unique. It's not a voice that you can find anywhere and that is what I want from Moana.
The problem with the first girl is that she sounds too old. She has the speaking voice down, but her singing is too old. Beautiful voice though. The second girl is not that unique, but she's Moana's age and she has a strong voice.

Agreed with you about the uniqueness of the voices. With thousands of girls auditioning, they are bound to find *that* voice I don't care who's Moana, as long as it's a newcomer. I'm rooting for all of the YouTube/Vine auditioners
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Lady Cluck wrote:I highly doubt any of these youtube auditions will win the role. I'll be beyond furious if they do.
Better than Selena Gomez or any other pop star/Disney Channel star. It's great that they're giving a random girl a chance to make her dreams come true.
taei wrote:The first girl is great...

The problem with the first girl is that she sounds too old. She has the speaking voice down, but her singing is too old. Beautiful voice though. The second girl is not unique, but she's Moana's age and she has a strong voice with a youthful, innocent feel to it.

Agreed with you about the uniqueness of the voices. With thousands of girls auditioning, they are bound to find *that* voice. I don't care who's Moana, as long as it's a newcomer. I'm rooting for all of the YouTube/Vine auditioners
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

As if that's the only other alternative. It won't be them either.
LADY Image CLUCK
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Disney called her (Jamie Chung) in to read for a new project called Moana and she read for the voice of the character, Milano.

http://cincomom.com/2014/11/13/an-inter ... ero6event/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Disney called her (Jamie Chung) in to read for a new project called Moana and she read for the voice of the character, Milano.
That was a spelling mistake. Jamie Chung auditioned for the title character, Moana.
Q: What was the audition process like?

Jamie Chung: Disney announced that they are doing their next project MOANA and I was called to do a table read and do the voice of the title character Moana. John Lasseter was in the room and later he asked me to audition for GoGo.
Source: http://www.5minutesformom.com/98202/int ... ero6event/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Ron Clements and Josh Musker has announced at the Annies that Alan Menken is doing the songs for Moana!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:
Disney's Divinity

M&C + Menken = <3

The Rock had better not **** this up.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Wow, I thought that ship had sailed. I'm glad to hear that's not the case!

A new Ron and John movie with Menken music? Ah.... Bliss. :)
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Oh, that's such good news!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

That's awesome! I thought Disney had ditched him completely!
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Ron Clements and Josh Musker has announced at the Annies that Alan Menken is doing the songs for Moana!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:
I have mixed feelings about this...

If this means the Alan Menken who wrote the music for Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Hunchback, and Pocahontas, then Yes!!!!
If this means the Alan Menken who wrote the music for Enchanted and Tangled... Then pass.

Hopefully Disney gives him complete freedom to do whatever he wants and actually let's him be involved with the story-making people.

Who are doing the lyrics? I really hope Glen Slater stays away from this movie.. I didn't enjoy his lyrics for Tangled and Galavant. :S
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

taei wrote:I have mixed feelings about this...

If this means the Alan Menken who wrote the music for Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Hunchback, and Pocahontas, then Yes!!!!
If this means the Alan Menken who wrote the music for Enchanted and Tangled... Then pass.

Hopefully Disney gives him complete freedom to do whatever he wants and actually let's him be involved with the story-making people.

Who are doing the lyrics? I really hope Glen Slater stays away from this movie.. I didn't enjoy his lyrics for Tangled and Galavant. :S
Well said.

I find Menken's earliest work superior to his later work. Not only because of nostalgic reasons, but because it was simply better. His work for "Enchanted" was just okay ("That's How You Know" was the best song) and I'm tired of repeating my thoughts on his music on "Tangled". As with you, I hope he get's his chance to execute his ideas.

Yes, this may sound contradicting, considering that I recently proclaimed my relief about him doing the score. But let's hope he'll get the chance to do something really great again.
Disney's Divinity

The only Menken soundtrack I'm not keen on is Tangled, but I'm hardly going to judge him there considering the directors clearly were opposed to the film being a musical at all. Besides that, my only disappointments have been a couple of lackluster songs in recent Broadway adaptations (although there have been an equal amount of good additions, imo; "Diamond in the Rough," many for TLM's musical including some that were cut, and new songs for an overseas Hunchback show that have received a lot of praise). I'd still take Menken over the other options we know of, even the Lopezes.