Elena of Avalor

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Elena of Avalor

Post by Sotiris »

Princess Elena of Avalor, a confident and compassionate teenager in an enchanted fairytale kingdom inspired by diverse Latin cultures and folklore, will be introduced in a special episode of Disney Junior's hit series "Sofia the First" beginning production now for a 2016 premiere. That exciting story arc will usher in the 2016 launch of the animated series "Elena of Avalor," a production of Disney Television Animation. The announcement was made today by Nancy Kanter, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Disney Junior Worldwide.

The role of 16-year-old Princess Elena, the bold, caring, funny and clever ascendant to the throne in the fairytale kingdom of Avalor, will be voiced by Aimee Carrero (ABC Family's "Young & Hungry").

Kanter said, "Our creative team has delivered a universal story with themes that authentically reflect the hopes and dreams of our diverse audience." She continued, "What excites us most is the chance to use distinctive animation and visual design to tell wonderful stories influenced by culture and traditions that are familiar to the worldwide population of Hispanic and Latino families and reflect the interests and aspirations of all children as told through a classic fairy tale."

As with all Disney Junior programming, "Elena of Avalor" stories will be guided by an established curriculum that nurtures multiple areas of child development: physical, emotional, social and cognitive; thinking and creative skills, as well as moral and ethical development. Created for kids age 2-7 and their families, the stories are designed to communicate positive messages and life lessons that are applicable to young children about leadership, resilience, diversity, compassion and the importance of family and family traditions. The series will be presented in 25 languages on Disney Junior channels and daily programming blocks for kids age 2-7 on Disney Channels, among other platforms, in 154 countries around the world. On television alone, its estimated daily reach will be over 207-million households.

Princess Elena's journey began long ago when her parents and kingdom were taken from her by the evil sorceress, Shuriki. Elena bravely faced the sorceress to protect her little sister, Princess Isabel, and grandparents but in the process, her magical amulet pulled her inside its enchanted jewel, saving her life but imprisoning her at the same time. Decades later, Princess Sofia of Enchancia discovers the truth about the amulet she has worn since joining her royal family and sets out to restore Elena to her human form and help her return to the kingdom of Avalor. While Elena is the rightful heir to the throne, she is only age 16 so she will rule Avalor with the help of a Grand Council comprised of her Grandfather Tito, Grandmother Cici and Royal Advisor, Duke Esteban. With some magical friends by her side - Mateo, a wizard-in-training, and Skylar, a magical flying creature - Princess Elena's further adventures will lead her to understand that her new role requires thoughtfulness, resilience and compassion, the traits of all truly great leaders.

"Elena of Avalor" is executive-produced by Craig Gerber (of the Emmy Award-nominated "Sofia the First"). Silvia Cardenas Olivas ("Moesha," "The Brothers Garcia"), an alumna of the National Hispanic Media Coalition's Television Writers Program, is the story editor, and Elliot M. Bour ("The Little Engine That Could") is the supervising director. The series' cultural advisors are Doris Sommer, Harvard University professor and Director of Graduate Studies in Spanish; and Marcela Davison Aviles, Managing Director and Executive Producer, El Camino Project, an international Latino arts initiative.
Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2015 ... 9disney01/

Concept art by Ritsuko Notani.

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/01/29/el ... a-princess
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Elena of Avalor

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Edit: Fantastic news! Hopefully, they can squeeze her in for the heck of putting a Latina princess in. 2016 will be a great year for princesses!
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Edit: Fantastic news! Hopefully, they can squeeze her in for the heck of putting a Latina princess in. 2016 will be a great year for princesses!
I am really happy for Disney for coming out with this because we do need diversity in cartoon series. I wonder if this series is being made in response to the fact that they retconned Sofia from being Hispanic.
Last edited by jazzflower92 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Wonderful news!!!

:D
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I know that I'm repeating myself, but I really don't like that Disney is eager to make a Hispanic Princess. Why does she have to be a Princess and not just be a Hispanic heroine? But according to this article, she may not be Hispanic; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/2 ... 73968.html

Either way, I like her concept art. She reminds me a little bit of a subdued version of Esmeralda and Jasmine. And the series could be fun ;)
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Is she going to be included on the Disney Princess franchise?

In the official press release she is announced as a "Disney Princess"

A DISNEY PRINCESS INSPIRED BY LATIN CULTURES, "ELENA OF AVALOR," WILL BE INTRODUCED IN 2016 ON DISNEY JUNIOR CHANNELS AND PROGRAMMING BLOCKS AROUND THE WORLD
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

let me tell you, Im hispanic american and the whole "what is hispanic/latino?" thing is very confusing. Just when I think I finally understand the correct definition, I read something new that throws it out the window. So Im not surprised they are making her inspired by latin cultures and not a specific latin hispanic ethnicity. Im mean Jasmie is Arab, but what exacty does that mean? Arab can be a lot of things too and theyre never specific about their ethnicity in the film either...

as for the design...I like it, for the most part. I love the dress and that they went with a bold color red and not some princessy pastel color. I think her face is a tad generic but I cant complain b/c all the Disney princesses(except Merida) since Tiana have had rather generic designs unfortunatley.

otoh, Im kinda bummed that we get hosed out of a proper animated film. We're getting instead a series aimed at toddlers, so Im not expecting much...sigh.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

unprincess wrote:. I think her face is a tad generic
Isn't it supposed to be just a concept art?
but I cant complain b/c all the Disney princesses(except Merida) since Tiana have had rather generic designs unfortunatley.
I've always liked Tiana's design, I thought she had the typical Mark Hehn design. Rapunzel's design eventually grew on me, since it still was a Disney-esque design in CGI. More than you can say about the generic designs of "Frozen".
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

A brand new Disney princess born in and designed by Disney Consumer products...

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aimee Carrero Talks Young & Hungry and Disney's Latina Princess
http://www.latina.com/entertainment/cel ... -interview

YOUNG & HUNGRY Scoop: Aimee Carrero Interview
http://www.seat42f.com/young-hungry-sco ... rview.html

Latina Takeover: Actresses From Miami Are Playing Big Roles for Disney, Broadway, and Hollywood
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/arts/latin ... od-7899910

WATCH: Aimee Carrero Discusses Her Hope to Inspire Young Girls
http://www.latina.com/entertainment/buz ... irls-video

Disney's New Latina Princess Gets Her Own Doll
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/disn ... ll-n515001

EXCLUSIVE: Jenna Ortega on 'Stuck in the Middle' and Why Gina Rodriguez is Her Idol
http://www.latina.com/entertainment/cel ... -interview
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

So she consider three months to be a long casting process? I've heard about much longer casting processes that have taken almost a year. Sorry if it seems condescending.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:So she consider three months to be a long casting process? I've heard about much longer casting processes that have taken almost a year. Sorry if it seems condescending.
For heaven's sakes, it's been 6 months since Moana was announced and 4 months since the announcement of open calls for the role of Moana and they still haven't found the voice!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Additional Cast of Disney Junior's Animated Series "Elena of Avalor" Announced
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2016 ... 2disney01/

"Elena of Avalor" Makes Royal Debut Friday, July 22 on Disney Channel
http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2016/06/ ... 9disney01/

The logo which was designed by POV Entertainment Design.

WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Sotiris wrote: Princess Elena's journey began long ago when her parents and kingdom were taken from her by the evil sorceress, Shuriki. Elena bravely faced the sorceress to protect her little sister, Princess Isabel, and grandparents but in the process, her magical amulet pulled her inside its enchanted jewel, saving her life but imprisoning her at the same time. Decades later, Princess Sofia of Enchancia discovers the truth about the amulet she has worn since joining her royal family and sets out to restore Elena to her human form and help her return to the kingdom of Avalor.
Wow, what does this mean for the other Disney princesses appearing on Sofia the First? Kinda gruesome.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^can you elaborate? I havent watched Sophia the First aside from a couple episodes.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

unprincess wrote:^can you elaborate? I havent watched Sophia the First aside from a couple episodes.
I don't watch it either, but I think the princesses cameo on this show occasionally through the amulet. Which, I guess, means they were also imprisoned inside of it?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

unprincess wrote:^can you elaborate? I havent watched Sophia the First aside from a couple episodes.
I don't watch it either, but I look at the princess episodes on youtube. They appear out of the amulet when Sophia needs them. When the song is over, they go back in the amulet. So yeah, they are 'banished' too.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

All the princesses are prisoners in Sofia’s amulet.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oops! well thats not good.
I suppose Hasbro will be making the Elena toys since they own the Princess franchise. I would like an Elena doll to add to my princess collection but not looking forward to getting a doll with a tiny body & gigantic head. Hopefully the Disney Store will make some fashion dolls in the style of their classic doll line as well.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition