The Three CommentEARS: STTA Beauty and the Beast

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS Episode 18: D2: The Mighty Ducks

Post by pap64 »

http://goo.gl/NL5SCD

It’s a throwback to the 90s as the CommentEARS hit the ice to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Disney live-action cult classic, D2: The Mighty Ducks. Your coaches, as always, for this commentary are Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez and Kelvin Cedeño. The CommentEARS take a look at how the film has created a meaningful legacy among the youth of the 1990s, despite being a miss with critics of the time. In addition, they study themes and ideas shared with many other sports films of the era, added characterization and narrative context gained by the novelization of the film, and how the Mighty Ducks film series sparked a surprisingly lucrative franchise for Disney that inspired everything from an infamous Disney Afternoon cartoon series to a real-life Disney-owned hockey team.

For sync instructions and more, click the link above!
Attachments
10665326_10154652155865032_7598490712307434504_n.jpg
10665326_10154652155865032_7598490712307434504_n.jpg (79.32 KiB) Viewed 8131 times
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS Episode 18: D2: The Mighty Ducks

Post by pap64 »

http://goo.gl/alr10N

In our second installment of “Something to Think About,” hosts Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño reflect on Disney films they have experienced at different points in their lives, from as early as childhood to as recently as last year. This discussion was influenced by the late film critic, Roger Ebert, who once postulated that “movies never change, but their viewers do.” The three discuss how their thoughts on particular films have changed, for better or for worse, across time.

To listen to the show and even download it, click the link above! Enjoy the show!
Attachments
STTA EPISODE 2 BANNER.jpg
STTA EPISODE 2 BANNER.jpg (116.2 KiB) Viewed 8092 times
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS: Something To Think About Episode

Post by pap64 »

http://goo.gl/O0jpmz

Halloween is beckoning towards us once again; it seems to creep upon every year. A Disney staple for Halloween since 1993, Hocus Pocus continues to enthrall and enchant audiences today. With the season well underway, let’s take a moment to revisit our October 2013 commentary for the film. Your hosts for this bewitching tour of 1993 Salem include Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño. This episode, recorded to celebrate Hocus Pocus’ twentieth anniversary, primarily focuses on the film’s connections to Disney’s other forays into the supernatural and the macabre, tales from the production of the film, and several notable instances of illogical and anachronistic storytelling, while still celebrating the film’s loving tribute to the Halloween season, viewers’ reaction and nostalgia through the years, and our own personal views towards the film in both a childhood context and as revisited nostalgia.

For instructions on syncing up the audio and more, please click the link above!
Attachments
10678649_10154742421310032_3404648828322583183_n.jpg
10678649_10154742421310032_3404648828322583183_n.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
ImageImageImageImage

Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS Legacy Commentary: Hocus Pocus

Post by Avaitor »

I've been trying to catch up with your commentaries lately. My rule is to only catch the DAC ones as I obtain them on Blu, but I'm much looser with the live-action films.

One of the tracks I've heard recently is The Jungle Book, which was great! I believe that my experience towards the film is most like Kevin's, in that apparently it was a favorite as a child, but I don't personally enjoy it all that much now. I still appreciate the music and characters, but I'm just not crazy on Disney's more episodic films, so it doesn't do much for me anymore, to the point that it's my least favorite of the 60's DACs (I'd consider 101 Dalmatians to be the tightest, and likely the best overall, but for whatever reason, I gravitate towards The Sword in the Stone more now than I ever had).

Still, I quite enjoyed hearing your usual combination of helpful information along with sharp critiques towards the film, which always makes these tracks fun to listen to. I also feel like mentioning that there's a little more to The Jungle Book's park presence- besides the giant Baloo and Mowgli statute at WDW's Pop Century resort, Animal Kingdom used to hold a stage show called Journey into the Jungle Book, which opened up with the park and is now where the Finding Nemo musical takes place. From what I can tell, it's an abbreviated production of the film, which had some of the film's iconic tracks.

I also know that both coasts used to have Colonel Hathi as a costume character, ala Baloo and King Louie, as well as a Mowgli face character. Both have been mostly phased out since the new millennium started, but apparently they might still show up sporadically. You're still far more likely to see Baloo and Louie at the parks though, especially at Animal Kingdom.

I also heard your D2 commentary, which I'll just say that I much prefer to the film itself. :P Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember finding these movies all that special as a kid, nor do I now, but I felt some joy hearing you guys gush over them in the track anyway. Sometimes it's nice to hear people talk about movies they enjoy, even if you don't like the particular movie yourself.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Thank you very much for the great comments, Taylor! I admit D2 was one of those films we had little history to work with so thank God that Albert found the novelization and we had so much to work off of that.

Oh and thanks for pointing out the Jungle Book stage show. For some reason, in my research, they never mentioned the show as being part of the film's park presence. Must have been gone as fast as it came cause very few people list it on the pages regarding this film.
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

http://goo.gl/5ExHdN

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, COMMENTEARS!

This year’s Halloween episode of the Three CommentEARS takes on the wildly manic and chillingly haunting 1949 animated classic, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. As always, your hosts on this madcap trip to Tarrytown and beyond are Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño, with special guest CommentEAR Tony Lopez coming along for the wild ride. Throughout this commentary, the group discusses Mr. Toad’s theme park legacy, the effective usage of musical score, Ichabod Crane’s multifaceted characterization, and the story and technical elements which have made Disney’s take on two classic tales – Washington Irving’s “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” and Kenneth Grahame’s “The Wind in the Willows” – among the most remembered and viewed themed programming for the Halloween season.

For instructions on how to sync your audio and more, click the link above and enjoy the show!
Attachments
10671317_10154775584230032_6472661743758280130_n.jpg
10671317_10154775584230032_6472661743758280130_n.jpg (124.33 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS Legacy Commentary: Robin Hood

Post by pap64 »

http://goo.gl/Kq2bpZ

Ooh-de-lally! In honor of its 41st anniversary, we revisit 1973’s Robin Hood, our eighth commentary originally posted August 2013. Your commentators for this trip to Medieval England include Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño. Each of us share different perspectives towards this film, as we discuss its production, earlier concepts set in the American South, literary comparisons to incarnations of Robin Hood and Aesop’s fables, the film’s connections to popular culture and world events of its era, and our own personal views towards the film in both a childhood context and as revisited nostalgia.

For syncing instructions and more, visit the link above!
Attachments
1505610_10154802526255032_8842865789363391003_n.jpg
1505610_10154802526255032_8842865789363391003_n.jpg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 7945 times
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS Legacy Commentary: Robin Hood

Post by pap64 »

http://goo.gl/nc2fwp

For the past 25 years, one film proved it’s better down where it’s wetter and ushered in an era now referred to as the Disney Renaissance: 1989’s The Little Mermaid. In honor of its silver anniversary, we revisit this commentary originally recorded September 2013 in tandem with the Diamond Edition release. Your commentators for this journey under the sea are Pedro Hernandez, Albert Gutierrez, and Kelvin Cedeño. Each of us share our memories of this era, in addition to analytical and historical perspectives, as we discuss the production of the film, the inner struggles and outward action of heroine Ariel, literary comparisons to the Hans Christian Andersen tale, the model and structure of the film in comparison to previous and future Disney Animated Classics, its place within the 1980s teen movie genre, and our own personal views towards the film in both a childhood context and as revisited nostalgia.

For instructions on how to sync your audio and more, click the link above and enjoy the show!
Attachments
10620348_398610650289454_6429220435043200941_o.jpg
10620348_398610650289454_6429220435043200941_o.jpg (131.83 KiB) Viewed 7907 times
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS Legacy Commentary: The Little Merm

Post by pap64 »

http://goo.gl/uB9hwr

In honor of its 4th anniversary, we revisit the film that encouraged us to let down our hair and see the light: 2010’s Tangled. Your commentators for this night of mayhem and mischief are Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño. Originally recorded November 2013 to coincide with Frozen’s theatrical release, this track spends time analyzing the story and characters of Tangled, as each of us offers different interpretations, discourse, and criticism. In addition, we continue to delve into the production of the film, as well as the influence found in non-Disney sources, along with the film’s impact on viewers since its release.

For instructions on how to sync the audio and more, click the link above!
Attachments
10404413_10154858609645032_2627184632243703016_n.jpg
10404413_10154858609645032_2627184632243703016_n.jpg (135.75 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
ImageImageImageImage

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I wanted to state that I really miss you guys. I really miss your commentaries. They were really elaborate, informative and specifically hand made for Disney fans. I understand that it must be difficult to get together and record a commentary, due to other priorities, wants and duties in your lives. But I would like to see you return someday.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Good news!

We recorded a commentary tonight that will be posted within a week.

Greater news!

We're recording one next week!

:)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Really? That's awesome! :) Thanks, Albert! But I hope you didn't felt the pressure of recording a new commentary due to us listeners.
Escapay

Re: The Three CommentEARS: Episode 20 - Cinderella (2015)

Post by Escapay »

http://goo.gl/NLfSwL

After an unexpectedly extended hiatus consisting mainly of Albert playing Cinderella Free Fall (get the app, it’s quite addictive!), the CommentEARS return for a third season with an examination of Disney’s 2015 live-action iteration of the beloved fairy tale, Cinderella. Joining you on this journey through a modernly nostalgic period piece are Albert “It’s Kit, I’m Kit!” Gutierrez, Pedro “Have Courage” Hernandez and Kelvin “Be Kind” Cedeño. The CommentEARS reflect upon the film’s much-needed optimism and hope in comparison to other female-driven films of the era, taking particular notice to how Ella’s characterization gets strengthened by the simple message of courage and kindness. In addition, they look at the film’s practical-minded production design and visual look, compare key scenes to the studio’s animated counterpart, deconstruct how the extended narrative benefit the supporting characters, and share stories of the unexpected audience reactions throughout the film-watching experience.

For instructions on how to sync the audio and more, click the link above!
CinderellaPoster.jpg
CinderellaPoster.jpg (216.92 KiB) Viewed 7417 times
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Finally! It took some time, but it was worth the waiting ;)

Thanks again :) I'm glad you're commenting on a live action remake for once, though I'm fully aware of it's not being your first time commenting on a live action feature from Disney.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just listened to your Cinderella 2015 commentary.

I loved almost every thing you guys all said. The way you guys talked about the positive message of the film and positive points of the heroine really opened my eyes more to the good in the film and made me love it more. I loved how Albert said Cinderella "takes back" her nickname, because that's so true and that's why her story is called that name. I have to say though, Cinderella would have been kind and good to her step family in their cruelty even if her parents hadn't told her to be. Also, I did want to mention I did think that like Kelvin said, Cinderella saying she stays with her step family because she wants to stay in her parent's house doesn't fly because she leaves her house to live in the palace! The only way I can buy it is that she feels it is her home, and when she marries Kit she feels that is her new home. I have an idea for why Cinderella doesn't leave her step family for my dream to make Disney's (1950) Cinderella into a Broadway musical, but I won't be telling that until the day that dream comes true! Oh, and I wanted to add that yes, indeed, the deleted scenes of Cinderella and Kit talking at the ball and Cinderella writing to Kit to meet in the forest should have been in. Just wanted to tell you guys I agreed there, too! Cinderella talking about how she thinks everyone is invited to Heaven? That's wonderful! And something Kit can easily fall in love with!

I forgot to say, Pedro said the 2015 Cinderella cried because of losing faith in people being good and in good coming back to her, or something, and in the 1950 version she cried just because she couldn't go to the ball? I just wanted to say the 1950 Cinderella also cried for the same reasons the 2015 one did, because of what her step family and life did, more than just not going to the ball.

Anyway, I really enjoyed listening to you guys during the commentary. You guys were a joy to hear your stories and info and feelings. It's so great to hear how you cried, Albert! I actually almost cried when the transformation happened, the first time I saw it.

Thank you for commenting on the best version of Cinderella there is, just above the 1950 Disney version. Though I must admit, I flip flop on which of those two versions is the best. The 1950 Disney version remains my favorite forever, though.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Thanks, DisneyFan09 & Disney Duster! Great to hear feedback and enthusiasm for our newest commentary!

1950's Cinderella was the first film we recorded a commentary for (although I don't recommend anyone listen to it first, it's one of our weakest both technically and conversationally, basically as our proof-of-concept test), and when the 2015 film came out, it really resonated with all of us that we knew we'd want to resume recording commentaries and actually schedule a chance to record one.

We've got a couple more in the pipeline, including early plans for a non-Disney commentary, but it's too early to reveal many details about them.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

You're welcome. So you chose the new "Cinderella" movie to come full circle, then? Haha.

Still looking forward to your upcoming commentaries, but please don't feel the urge/pressure from us to do so. Just do it because you want to, though of course the listeners would always enjoy/appreciate your commentaries.

And while you've improved your commentaries since the 1950 "Cinderella", it's still an elaborate and interesting commentary. So it's not a dud at all.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFan09 wrote:And while you've improved your commentaries since the 1950 "Cinderella", it's still an elaborate and interesting commentary. So it's not a dud at all.
I quite agree! I actually found no problems with that one either (except the glass slipper/fur slipper myth). It was really fun and informational!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:And while you've improved your commentaries since the 1950 "Cinderella", it's still an elaborate and interesting commentary. So it's not a dud at all.
I quite agree! I actually found no problems with that one either (except the glass slipper/fur slipper myth). It was really fun and informational!
Haha, I think I'm mostly embarrassed of the episode because you can hear a lot of background noise on my track. Whenever I'm talking, you can also hear constant typing on my laptop, shifting open books around looking for a note I may have looked at earlier, and the general echo I have because I recorded directly from my laptop mic rather than through the headset I've used from Peter Pan onward. Also, I was still extremely nervous that this project wouldn't go over well at all, especially as none of us had done an audio commentary before (though we did do a test on a 20-minute sequence from the film, which will likely never be released haha). Fortunately, recording for Peter Pan went much better, all my nervousness and apprehensions were gone. And by the time the first season ended with our three versions of Beauty and the Beast, we were comfortable enough with recording multiple commentaries, haha! That's why we mostly consider Cinderella as our proof-of-concept "pilot," while Peter Pan is our first true "episode" so to speak. If Cinderella didn't do well, we wouldn't have continued with the series.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't remember the problems with audio or noises you didn't want it, but they never deterred me from enjoyment of the commentary. Interesting if Cinderella didn't go well, you wouldn't have further commentaries, like how if Cinderella didn't do well at Disney, there might not have been any more Disney movies!

You did three Beauty and the Beasts? What? How? Why?

By the way, I just realized something today! Albert, Escapay, you said trying the slipper on every maiden in the kingdom was ridiculous, right? And instead they should just measure the shoe and ask every maiden with that foot size to come try it on? Well, in the 2015 movie, they proclaimed that the maiden who lost her shoe should come to the palace. But she didn't come. Because she was locked up. So they talk about maybe she doesn't want to be found, and the prince decides she must be found, so if she won't come to him, he has to come to her. And that is why there is no problem with them coming to each maiden to try the slipper on her.