Anyone else using Vudu or UltraViolet for their collection?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Anyone else using Vudu or UltraViolet for their collection?

Post by dvdjunkie »

Now that I have had my talk with the Disney people and gotten over 25 of my Disney movies ported over to Vudu or UltraViolet, I was wondering how many others out there are using the cloud for their movie collection?

I really like how easy it is to get a movie collection started and the fact that Disney has joined the modern day technology with options for iTunes or UltraViolet, it is amazing how fast my cloud collection is growing.

My insurance man said that it is a good way to save all of your most liked movies, in case of a major disaster such as a fire, flood or tornado. You might lose your physical collection, but you will never lose your movie collection in the cloud.

I am almost at the 400 mark and am really loving how inexpensive it is to get my older movies on the cloud. I have been taking them in to Walmart's Photo Shop several days a week and getting them loaded into the cloud for just $2 each. The cloud accepts either DVD SD or Blu-ray HD for the same price, unless you want to upgrade your DVD's to HD, then it is $4 per disc.

As a member of Vudu, you will get notifications of early digital releases of movies that can be purchased on-line for as low as $14.99. I like that you can classify your movies into Action, Westerns, Disney, Bond, and family films, and much more.

This also allows you to watch your movies on your 'smart' phone, iPad, and most other devices, along with your desktop computer, laptop computer and television.

Vudu also has a selection with a cover title "NOT on Netflix" that has exclusive films to Vudu for the movie lover in you. Vudu also doesn't have that 'waiting time' of four to six weeks. They get all the new releases up to four weeks in advance, that are available for purchase and watching. I have had "Captain America The Winter Soldier" for almost a week now and it only cost me $22.00 to capture it into my cloud collection. This week I am adding the 2-movie Blu-ray/DVD Combo of "Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad/Fun and Fancy Free" for only $19.99.

Let's discuss the pros and cons of Vudu and UltraViolet along with the other clouds such as Flixster and iTunes (which I really don't like).
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Re: Anyone else using Vudu or UltraViolet for their collecti

Post by dvdjunkie »

In the last two days I have added "Draft Day", "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "Godzilla" to my UltraViolet collection on Vudu. Most expensive one was "Captain America". I am almost at the 400 mark for the movies on my cloud.

And I have a ton of Disney movies including "Old Yeller", "Mary Poppins", "Swiss Family Robinson", "Cars", "Cars 2", "Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales", "Peter Pan", "Return to Never Land", "Tangled", "Frozen" and many, many more.

Anyone else enjoying the Vudu or Ultraviolet cloud??
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Had my first 'hiccup' with getting a Disney movie over to my Vudu account. "Saving Mr. Banks" was my problem and when I went to DigitalCopyPlus and loaded the code, it said "Congratulations your copy of "Saving Mr. Banks" is now in your collection.

But it wasn't. I wrote to Vudu Customer Service and they looked into it and said it doesn't appear that I entered a correct code. So I went back DigitalCopyPlus and when I put in the code I got a screen that told me "You already own this".

So I wrote to Vudu once again, and after about three days they told me that an error had occurred and I should call Disney and have them help me reload it into the system.

I got a hold of Disney Tech support at DigitalCopyPlus and the gentleman that I talked to understood everything I was telling him. He, in fact, has a copy of the original e-mail I had sent to Vudu, and within minutes I had my movie available on my Vudu cloud. He said that the 12 number code I had was correct, but something in the transfer to Vudu happened and it was blocked.

I am now a happy camper, and look forward to getting my copy of "The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad/Fun and Fancy Free into my Vudu cloud.

Do any of you out there use Vudu or UltraViolet for storing your movies?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I've found I definitely prefer Disney Movies Anywhere. I can watch the movies wherever I am, including bonus features. In my opinion it's much more user friendly and better organized than Ultraviolet. For non-Disney movies, I just rent thru iTunes.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I'm with SWillie! . . . Disney Movies Anywhere is great. It's even better if you have Apple products. I don't even use my codes half the time other than to enter them into Disney Movie Rewards which then automatically populates Disney Movies Anywhere which then autoatically populates iTunes.

Even if you don't have Apple products, you can always access the movies on Disney Movies Anywhere's website and watch from there. I've done that a few times and the quality has been pretty decent.

I use Vudu for some of my non-Disney movies, mostly because it's cheap to convert your discs to digital (like $1 if you have more than 10). But I can't say I'm very impressed with their service. The layout is very minimal, unappealing, not very user friendly (and in my experience, not exceptionally reliable either). Kind of like Walmart, I guess.

But to each his own . . .
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Don't understand what you are saying about Vudu or UltraViolet being "non-user friendly". I don't put my movies on the cloud so I can watch them on a 2" screen on my phone, or on my tablet, or other electronic device. I have a very nice 60" HDTV and along with my Sony Blu-ray player I access all my movies (just over 400 at this writing) and have had no problems with getting them to play or with them being hard to access.

DisneyDigitalPlus is a great place to load the eligible Disney titles and you have your choice of Vudu or iTunes or Disney Movies Anywhere. All of my eligible titles have been added to my cloud in this fashion.

I don't own a 'smartphone', tablet, laptop, android or other mobile device, so the importance of iTunes is of no value to me.

Through the use of Walmart's Photo Shop I have taken almost a hundred movies in to have them put on my cloud, and I think that $2 each a fair price and even better when they have a "two-for-one" deal, which I generously take advantage of.

I find the layout of the Vudu cloud easy to use and I can find any movie that I want that is in my cloud very easy with the "My Vudu" selection. Their search mode is simply the quickest I have ever used on my computer. The one on the TV, where you have to enter one letter at a time, I will agree is a little dumb.

Anyone else have anything good or indifferent to say about Vudu or UltraViolet?
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I had a HORRIBLE experience trying to convert movies at the Walmart photo center. No one knew how to do it. Took me about an hour. Too complicated for me.

I like putting my movies in the cloud so that I can watch them on my phone or tablet. Not an ideal screen size, obviously, but it's great when I'm traveling for work, waiting for an appointment, etc.

For me, if I want to watch a movie on my television, I 'd probably be more inclined to just grab the actual BluRay, though I have an AppleTV and will watch something from iTunes from time to time (but then I run the risk of network hiccups, etc.)

In any event, it's cool that we have so many options these days.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I have never had an experience like that at Walmart's Photo Shop. I took 30 DVD's and Blu-rays in to be added to my cloud, and it took less than 15 minutes. I paid my bill and came home to find exactly what I was told was going to be on my cloud.

We have 9 Walmart's in the Wichita metro area, and only four of them had efficient people working in the Photo Shop that know what they are doing. I picked the closest one to my home, and I make a visit there every Monday, for sure.

Something else I do, is take surveys that earn me points that I can put toward additions to my UltraViolet account, and I take as many surveys as they offer, and have earned enough points to average one HDX movie a month. I just added "The Fault in Our Stars" and "Mom's Night Out" yesterday, using my survey points that I had been saving.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I only have a couple of digital copy,voices on UV. I don't use vudu.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

By using the "Free First Episode" offer on Vudu, I have become a fan of "Madame Secretary", "Scorpion", and now "The Transporter" television series.

"The Transporter" television series is truly amazing. They have an actor, Chris Vance, who looks nothing like Jason Statham, in the lead role of Frank Martin. The show is on TNT, and is edited very well from the European release of the show. But, for a very low price, I am a season member on VUDU, and get the episodes the day after they appear on television, and they are unedited, and approximately two and a half-minutes longer than the TNT version of the show.

I truly like the VUDU/UltraViolet experience. I have recently added four more Disney titles to my Vudu collection of movies and already have the new releases that you CAN'T get on Netflix.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Vudu dot com just announced the acquisition of four great networks' shows and series.

Beginning last week they added DIY, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel to their list of available options for Vudu members.

I am really happy with Vudu/UltraViolet services. My collection is growing, slowly but surely. I have seasons series of "Walking Dead", "Big Bang Theory", "The Musketeers", "Transporter" and "Sleepy Hollow" in my collection. Waiting for next Social Security check and some bonus survey points so I can add "The Flash", "Gotham" and "American Horror Story - Freaks" to my collection.

Movies that I have available to watch on Vudu include the "Planes - Fire and Rescue", "Malificent", "Dawn of Planet of the Apes" new releases. Something that you can't get on Redbox, Netflix or any of those other 'cloud' networks.