Broadway Discussion Series: Wicked

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

xxhplinkxx wrote:I am so excited to say that for my Spring Break on March 22nd two of my dreams will come true:

1. I will be flying to New York for the first time in my life!!!

2. I'll be watching Wicked on BROADWAY!!!!!!!

I can't FREAKING WAIT!!!!!

I've always wanted to go to NY and watch a show, and best of all, it's Wicked!!!! I cant wait!!
So... That's not happening anymore. I'm unfortunately no longer going to New York, but I'm still gonna watch Wicked when it comes to my city next month.

=/

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

That sucks that you are not going to see "Wicked" on Broadway, but I'm glad you will be able to catch the tour. I saw the tour last summer and it was great. Let us know how you liked the show!
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

So I'm going in six days, and cannot be MORE excited!

Unfortunatly, I highly doubt Steph Block will be playing Elphaba when I go.
Her understudy, Lisa Brescia, will probably be on stage. I've heard nothing but positive reviews about her, and a lot of people have listed her as their favorite right up there with Idina.

Kendra Kassebaum also won't be there, but I'd actually rather see Annaleigh Ashford. Gosh! I've like never talked this much on a forum about one thing, but I just CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!

:D
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Awesome, you are really gonna love the show. Let us know what you think.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Sorry to bump up such an old topic but I got to see Wicked on Thursday at the Wharton Center with my family and it was pretty good. All the actors were good in their roles, but it was the set pieces that really impressed me. We had to sit off to the side so we only missed a little of the cast and scenery (the ticket prices are insane).

This was the second show I saw this year (the other was Les Miseables) and the seventh overall touring show I saw at the Wharton Center.
WaltDisneyFanBoy
Limited Issue

Post by WaltDisneyFanBoy »

january 11 will be the last preformance of Wicked in holland, sigh
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Broadway Discussion Series: Wicked

Post by Disney Duster »

Can anyone here tell me what they think these lyrics from "Thank Goodness" mean:

"There are bridges you cross you cross you didn't know you crossed until you've crossed."

I think it means "there are things/journeys in your life you don't realize are happning/you are going through until they're over."
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Going to see it at London's West End next Saturday. :D
moviefan12
Gold Classic Collection

Post by moviefan12 »

I really love this show, Elphaba is one of my favorite characters and I find myself listening to,the Original Broadway Cast Recording almost everyday. Have any of you seen the tribute video that Peter Hollens and Nick Pitera did for Wicked. It was stunning.
Favorite Animated Disney films: 1. Dumbo, 2. Tangled, 3. Frozen, 4. Beauty and The Best, 5. The Little Mermaid, 6. Cinderella

Favorite Princesses, 1. Rapunzel, 2. Ariel, 3. Sofia, 4.Elsa, 5. Belle, 6. Cinderella/Anna
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Really rather enjoyed it, although some of the music - especially in Act 2 - was a bit weak. Songs like "Defying Gravity", "Popular", "What Is This Feeling?" and the clever "Wonderful" were uniformly excellent, but Schwartz did occasionally indulge in bathos in maudlin, unimaginative songs like "For Good" and "As Long as You're Mine." I also hated "The Wizard and I".

Glinda is a marvellous character with constant undercurrents: a little bitchy at the start, before ultimately proving to be a good person. As a matter of fact, she definitely outshined Elphaba and certainly had a more compelling character arc. The political satire, although nothing especially nuanced, complemented the personal themes; for example, the way in which an unpopular social outcast embodied radicalism and revolution, whereas the popular Glinda was a gradualist who, rather than attempting to bring down the corrupt Ozian system, slowly tried to improve it from the outside. If there's one thing in the plot that I could have done without, it's the abrupt romance between Elphaba and Fiyero. It only detracts from the plot and removes focus from the well-developed Elphaba/Glinda relationship by throwing in a love triangle (as if it didn't already have enough of them!)

One more aspect of note: the production/costume design was something to behold. Elaborate costumes, the time dragon clock, the Oz head...
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The "Wicked" movie has an official release date, and we already feel like we're defying gravity
http://hellogiggles.com/the-wicked-movi ... ease-date/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OMG THANK YOU AMY AHHHHHH!!!!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

:clap: :party: :pink: :float: :dance: :woot: :banana: :mickana: :rock: