Rio 2 (Blue Sky Studios)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Rio 2 (Blue Sky Studios)

Post by Sotiris »

Sergio Mendes, who scored an Oscar nomination for his song "Real in Rio," says the animated film will most likely have a sequel. Mendes said "Rio" director Carlos Saldanha may want to tie the sequel to the 2014 World Cup, which will take place in Brazil.

"I think the plan is for the movie to come three or four months before the World Cup," Mendes said Tuesday afternoon. "Fox has been talking about (it) and it looks like it's going to happen," he continued. "We're going to have a meeting I think next week and Carlos is coming to town to tell us the story, and it looks like it's a go." Fox said in an email Wednesday that the "success of the first film was the start of a franchise," but added that "no script or deals" are in place.

Mendes and Saldanha are from Brazil. Mendes said creating music for the film — about birds adventuring to Rio de Janeiro with the voices of Jesse Eisenberg and Anne Hathaway — was special "because that's my hometown." Mendes shares his nomination with Siedah Garrettd and Carlinhos Brown. He said he's not feeling pressure to create new music for the "Rio" sequel following his Oscar nod. "I take one thing at a time," he said. "Right now I'm celebrating."
Source: http://www.hitfix.com/articles/sequel-t ... -the-works
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Hmm. Loved the original . . . hope the sequel will at least be just as good.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Not sure how to feel about this. :?

I mean, the first one ended nicely.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I was a big fan of the first Rio, so I'm definitely excited for this. At first I thought I was unsure whether they could do it in two years, but then I remembered that Carlos Saldanha actually started directing the film immediately after he was done with Ice Age 3, so two years sounds plausible. On the other hand, he had the idea and story forming in his head ever since the first Ice Age came out.

Nonetheless, I'm excited. I actually had a different idea for a Rio sequel, though. Since Rio was like a travelogue and tribute to that city, I thought they already explored all they really needed to. So, maybe plop the birds in Sao Paulo, which is like New York to Rio's Los Angeles. I thought that would be an interesting story and then maybe for a third one, they would travel to another South American country entirely like Argentina or Chile. I think a Rio sequel set at the Iguacu Falls has a lot of potential. But this is Saldanha's love letter to his hometown, so I understand why he would want to keep future sequels in Rio.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

I also loved the first movie, so I'm also looking forward to a second one. At the same time though, it does worry me that they may have trouble coming up with a good story, but Blue Sky hasn't disappointed me yet.

I can't wait to see (or find out) what they come up with.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Thus far, Blue Sky has more sequels made then original films. I really don't think that is a good sign for them or their originality.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

This honestly surprises me. Ice Age is their only movie to receive multiple sequels, while their original movies were always stand alone releases. It's interesting that they broke that rule with Rio 2. It will be interesting to see how they continue the story. Hopefully they don't pull a Happy Feet 2 and make it about the son of Blu learning to fly and learning the same lesson Blu did in the first one.
ImageImageImageImage

Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Am I the only one on this planet who was thoroughly unimpressed with Rio?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Scarred4life wrote:Am I the only one on this planet who was thoroughly unimpressed with Rio?
No, a lot of people thought it was formulaic.

I personally didn't mind the formulaic story because the entire film was so filled with life and energy and a fun set of characters. I pretty much had a big smile on my face the entire running time.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Re: Rio 2

Post by Hogi Bear »

First Teaser Trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy1c_Quch78[/youtube]

Enjoy!
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Not the best teaser.

Also not so sure about them having kids. It seems in every animated sequel, the couple we saw get together in the last film has a kid or two.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Well, the first film ended with Blu and Jewel having children. In fact, that was sort of the plot of "Rio", about two rare birds mating to save their species.

Anyway, as somebody who loves the first one, I'm excited for the sequel. That teaser is a nice showcase of what "Rio" so enjoyable: the fun set of characters, the high musical energy and Carlos Saldanha's obvious love letter to his hometown which gave it a personal touch.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Really looking forward to both this sequel and the one for Despicable Me. Looks like a big era for animated sequels with Monsters U coming up as well.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. :p
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

estefan wrote:Well, the first film ended with Blu and Jewel having children. In fact, that was sort of the plot of "Rio", about two rare birds mating to save their species.

Anyway, as somebody who loves the first one, I'm excited for the sequel. That teaser is a nice showcase of what "Rio" so enjoyable: the fun set of characters, the high musical energy and Carlos Saldanha's obvious love letter to his hometown which gave it a personal touch.
Okay yeah I forgot that. It just seems like too many Disney "cheapquels" have done just that.

I liked the first movie, but didnt love it.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

A new teaser trailer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd2F4SvTXjs[/youtube]

That was funny. :lol:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

The Full Trailer is here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f57rxVH4Ig[/youtube]
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Rio 2 was EXTREMELY boring!

It started off as good, but then it loses SO MUCH focus that you stop caring about what happen and it drags like heck.

Of course, Kristin was perfect. She and Nigel were a waste and they deserved so much more! The building up of Nigel’s revenge resulted in NOTHING. You thought he would had a great revenge, but no. The 500 subplots got in the way, so Nigel and Gabi did nothing.

First one is so much better, this one is a yawn.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I didn't like the first film at all, so dunno if the second one will impress me.