Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
WonderNeverOz
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Big Hero 6

Post by WonderNeverOz »

I'm not trying to defend disney but I'm Japanese and I have big eyes :D
I think we can't really judge a characters look just from few stills.
we should wait till the teaser trailer comes out :)
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

WonderNeverOz wrote:I'm not trying to defend disney but I'm Japanese and I have big eyes :D
I think we can't really judge a characters look just from few stills.
we should wait till the teaser trailer comes out :)
Does he look Japanese to you?

And what do you feel about the mixing up of the setting?

Thanks.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Eh I always feel skeptical whenever matters of race are talked about in places like tumblr and so, especially the "lovely people" who dictate what your race is and what not, if you are a POC or not ("oooh you're too white to be South-American!" "you shouldn't like the Emperor's New Groove, it's racist against your culture!!!"). It so happens these "race dictators" are always white American teenagers who've never left their homeland and barely interact with other people so... :P
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Eh I always feel skeptical whenever matters of race are talked about in places like tumblr and so, especially the "lovely people" who dictate what your race is and what not, if you are a POC or not ("oooh you're too white to be South-American!" "you shouldn't like the Emperor's New Groove, it's racist against your culture!!!"). It so happens these "race dictators" are always white American teenagers who've never left their homeland and barely interact with other people so... :P
Yeah, that's why it would be nice to hear more from Japanese people.

I'm an Asian myself and thought Hiro looked fine at first though my opinion is certainly not qualified.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Do *they* "look Japanese?"

Does *he* "look Japanese?"
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Disney's Hiro looks very Japanese to me. His stature, nose, mouth and yes eye shape look like some Japanese people I've met. His big anime eyes might be a little emphasized in CGI though.
Last edited by Victurtle on Tue May 20, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MovieMan995
Limited Issue

Post by MovieMan995 »

This looks awesome! Those stills are most likely from the teaser, so I'm excited to see both Hiro and Baymax animated. I hope to also get a first glimpse at the other BH6 members later this week.
"For ever laugh there should be a tear". -Walt Disney
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Teasers are aptly named. I doubt we'll see any of the other characters come Thursday.

One thing I haven't heard considered--Marvel has another comic property coming to the big screen three months before BH6. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any real footage until much closer to Guardians of the Galaxy opens.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

The more I look at Hiro the more he reminds me of this guy:

Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

I figured it out - Hiro looks like a teen version of Victor from Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Its hard to judge much yet from 3 stills ...so far it looks ok, I like Baymax's design...yes I agree so far Hiro looks more like an "anime" character than a an Asian characer...

but I agree with Sotiris, I dont know why they couldnt have set this in Japan. Really feels to me like they were worried about a homogenous Asian cast.

I guess the cutthroat competition these days have forced them to play it safer. I miss the days when we'd get stuff like Mulan or Aladdin...
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I haven't seen Death Note yet, but isn't L half Japanese, half American too?

I agree with Sotiris about the odd mashup. I think San Fransokyo definitely has potential to be very cool (I actually do think San Fransisco has distinctive elements other than the Golden Gate Bridge), but I don't really understand why they're doing it. Tokyo itself is more than enough artistic inspiration, and it's where the original story is set. The torii rub me the wrong way too. Aren't they only built at sacred sites?

It seems like they're doing this all so that Americans can relate to it more, which strikes me as narrow-minded. Americans were able to relate to Mulan just fine without completely changing the culture of China. Granted, Eddie Murphy and other elements were added in, but they still kept the story in China and all the characters were Chinese, and unlike many other Disney films, it was explicitly stated that it was set in China.

That said, though, I'm still excited about this. Hiro's eyes look like they're stretched wide open, so I'm guessing he'll look more Japanese than he does in that shot. His hair looks clasically manga/anime. He does look very Dreamworksy, but I sort of like it so far. Baymax is going to be heartwarming, I can already tell. :)

Ooh, unprincess, I went to post this, and your very similar post was there. I wasn't trying to just reiterate everything you said, I promise! :)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

nah Im glad you mirror my thoughts, I was kinda worried Id get ragged on for being too "PC." Its not that I think Disney doing something intently racist, its just frustrating that the times have changed & they have to now resort to this type of thing so the films can be successful. I wouldnt have minded white characters in this film but they could have done it a less contrived way, I mean Im sure there are white people living in Japan.

I dont see the Dreamworkishness of Hiro though. I think he just seems that way to some of you b/c he's wearing modern clothes/hairstyle. We arent really used to seeing Disney do human characters set in current times that much.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

It's been some time since I last read Death Note, but I think L's supposed to be mixed. Half-japanese-british-american.

Don't people think that maybe this picture of Hiro is just a very early rough image of him, not yet properly rendered at its fullest?

Something like how the first pictures of Elsa and Anna were so hideous, ala this:

He'll get more definitive features later on, as for now this is his basic outline on his design.

Naked Baymax looks scary. Like some gigantic ghost baby who got a sudden growth spurt without properly developing his body.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The movie is having its first screening today! Best of luck!

https://twitter.com/pbcbstudios/status/ ... 5568900097
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Baymax is really neat while Hiro is.....eh. :| We'll wait and see if this is just a rough version of Hiro.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I'm half Japanese (so I don't look too Asian/Japanese myself), but I was born in Japan, speak Japanese fluently, have spent years of my life in Japan, work in an almost entirely Japanese environment... so I think I know Japanese people pretty well and that I'm fairly qualified to pass judgement on this issue, and my stance is that I think it's hard to tell from that still, but I think he looks pretty Asian and can pass for Japanese. Again, we'll have to see more, but I certainly wouldn't say he "definitely" doesn't look Asian.

As for the San Fransokyo thing, I entirely agree with everyone here. It's an odd choice that honestly just seems dumb and tacky. I'm pretty confident that it won't add anything to the film. If they wanted to do interesting things with the city, they could have just set it in the future and modified it the way they want... like Neo Tokyo in AKIRA or something.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Part of the teaser has been leaked.
It's real this time. :D

http://sparchess.tumblr.com/post/863820 ... -instagram
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

taei wrote:Part of the teaser has been leaked.
It's real this time. :D

http://sparchess.tumblr.com/post/863820 ... -instagram
After watching it people are either gonna think "its cute/funny or not like it".
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1M3B9oZXOs[/youtube]
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Honestly, after all the waiting I would have liked a real trailer rather than a "teaser," but judging from the short clip, I think I'll like this better than the Frozen one. (I guess we probably won't get a real trailer until after the voice cast is announced?) Obviously, the upcoming teaser isn't going to give anything away, but at least it involves the central characters of the film unlike the Frozen one..